New Tarantino Western 'The Hateful Eight'

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby spix et chicho » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:09 pm

Cringey wrote:
Eyeball Kid wrote:Right, but does that mean he should have sanitized something that is actually appropriate to the period?

This is a tough question.

Tarantino films are a bit different then say documentaries of the period or films like 12 Years a Slave. But to your point, if a film is telling a story within a specific historical context (regardless if it is fictional or non-fiction), is there a duty to the film maker to practise come restraint or to fully immerse the viewer in the good and the bad of that time? I don't know the answer either but I think this is something Hollywood and film makers will be more conscious of in the coming years.

What do you think? Should the N word have been dialed back in the hateful Eight or was it warranted\needed?

Sound off in the comments!
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ
spix et chicho

Postby Eugenics » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:11 pm

but hes also made some of the most badass black characters in film in the past 20 years
Eugenics

Postby internetfriend » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:14 pm

Eugenics wrote:but hes also made some of the most badass black characters in film in the past 20 years

damn yeah. when you put it this way it's like, black people should actually be super grateful to him. for all the badass characters
iambic wrote:no don't make those posts
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Location: a forked path where the Perseus and Sagittarius Arms of the Milky Way come together.

Postby Feech La Manna » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:17 pm

The biggest problem with QT imo is that he's always reveled in using the word and the idea that he has a "pass"

Like, using it in fiction to make a point is one thing, but that scene in Pulp Fiction is something else
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Vegetable » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:32 pm

I don't think his use of the word is any less appropriate to the time in his 90s-based movies than the post civil war ones. It's not like racism stopped existing in America. The characters are all criminals and murderers, and I've never gotten the message from any of his movies that racism is being advocated.

At the same time, I think it's totally valid to debate whether or not he has the right as a white guy to use that shitty word. At least in the case of his black characters, I think the actors take it over.

I'm sort of more interested in how much of a douche that Jimmy character was MEANT to be.
Vegetable

Postby Feech La Manna » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:33 pm

This quote... has not aged well

My feeling is the word “nigger” is probably the most volatile word in the English language. The minute any word has that much power, as far as I’m concerned, everyone on the planet should scream it. No word deserves that much power. I’m not afraid of it. That’s the only way I know how to explain it.
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby trouble » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:34 pm

i mean one of the characters has the word badass printed on his wallet, even. you can't deny that!
ImageImageImage
trouble
ride.

Postby badhat » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:37 pm

no one is debating the propriety or right of a white author to put the word in characters mouths.

David Simon writes it into the mouths of characters all the time.

nobody think james gandalfini or david chase are racists because tony said it.

its more about how his fetishization of its transgressiveness seems to be more important to him than actual consideration of its power and history.
admittedly the metal thread has recently taken a hit
badhat

Postby trouble » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:38 pm

Any question on whether Tarantino's treatment with race is seriously problematic went out the window when I listened to his commentary on True Romance during the "Sicilian scene". The guy is a total mess.
ImageImageImage
trouble
ride.

Postby Poptone » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:05 pm

badhat wrote:no one is debating the propriety or right of a white author to put the word in characters mouths.

its more about how his fetishization of its transgressiveness seems to be more important to him than actual consideration of its power and history.

QT fetishizes *everything* so it's not like it's an outlier
Poptone
cat fan

Postby Durham » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:14 pm

Poptone wrote:
badhat wrote:no one is debating the propriety or right of a white author to put the word in characters mouths.

Feet, cigarettes, and samurai weapons aren’t human beings subject to the lingering trauma of centuries worth of chattel slavery
Durham

Postby Bad craziness » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:17 pm

Bad craziness

Postby Poptone » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:25 pm

Durham wrote:
Poptone wrote:

Feet, cigarettes, and samurai weapons aren’t human beings subject to the lingering trauma of centuries worth of chattel slavery

i wasn't excusing it by saying that.
Poptone
cat fan

Postby goofysdeadwife69 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:43 pm

I WANNA GO DENNY!!!!!! I WANNA GO RED LOBSTER!!!!! I WANNA GO OLIVE GARDEN!!!!!! I WANNA LIVE IN A BATHYSPHERE!!!!!!!!!!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
goofysdeadwife69
Was Raised Christian

Postby Viola Swamp » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:50 pm

Bad craziness wrote:

that's the best thing i've ever watched
Viola Swamp

Postby carlagain » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:55 pm

the hateful eight is pretty good
carlagain
ride.

Postby loaf angel » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:58 pm