What's your vinyl setup like?

Ive found in time the search on this forum was shit but if you google whatever keywords with the word hipinion, you get what you're looking for most of the time. I mean even when they keywords aren't exact.

Postby Autarch » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:39 pm

seank37 wrote:Check this out: https://blog.unifiedmanufacturing.com/6-reasons-people-buying-vinyl-records/. I mean not likely to change your mind, but you're probably not looking for/willing to accept a real answer anyway based on your trolling post in a vinyl thread.

not trolling. I think I get it now. I can see how it could be a fun thing to collect.
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby furrowed brow » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:12 am

Autarch wrote:cAN someone explain to me the appeal of collecting records when you can get all music online and it sounds the same, if not better, and you don't have to get up halfway through the album, and you can jump as violently as you want without the needle skipping and also it's cheaper and it doesn't take up a ton of space? I'm honestly trying to figure out why people buy these things. Like, didn't CD's make them obsolete?

feels good man
furrowed brow

Postby vault » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:26 pm

neta wrote:check to see if there are any gain settings on the receiver for the phono input (or if it even has a phono section and not just a line level input labeled phono)

also find out if your cart is low output (unlikely since that is more common with much more expensive cartridges)

I don't see any gain settings for the phono input-
cart is a stanton 600.
vault

Postby neta » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:16 pm

vault wrote:
neta wrote:check to see if there are any gain settings on the receiver for the phono input (or if it even has a phono section and not just a line level input labeled phono)

also find out if your cart is low output (unlikely since that is more common with much more expensive cartridges)

cart is a stanton 600.

This one?

1mv is pretty low for a mm cart (usually around 4-5mv).
ImageImageImageImageImage
neta

Postby vault » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:42 pm

neta wrote:
vault wrote:

cart is a stanton 600.

This one?

1mv is pretty low for a mm cart (usually around 4-5mv).

Yeah, that one!! So then I would probably need a new cart and not a preamp?
vault

Postby seank37 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:06 pm

It's possible you need a new cart to match the phono stage in your receiver. As I recently found out, some stages are built for MM carts and some MC carts. I would check your model of receiver for the exact type. You could spend a small amount on one of these and return it if it's not your problem: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00025742A/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
seank37

Postby vault » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:51 pm

seank37 wrote:It's possible you need a new cart to match the phono stage in your receiver. As I recently found out, some stages are built for MM carts and some MC carts. I would check your model of receiver for the exact type. You could spend a small amount on one of these and return it if it's not your problem: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00025742A/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

bought that thing ^^ will report back if it rules
vault

Postby vault » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:07 pm

Yo that didn't work
vault

Postby viachicago » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:19 pm

So after I burned through an MP110 over a couple years I figured I'd swap in an mp200 stylus, while keeping the old cartridge. Snagged one for a song on eBay direct from Japan. Working through solti's Beethoven symphonies...god damn. If this thing actually has a 30 hour burn in on top of it, I'm gonna be a very happy camper. Sound upgrade is noticeable even without pairing the cartridge. Beautifully detailed and warm and lush. I could see sticking with this pairing indefinitely. Anything beyond is probably outclassing my turntable (project debut iii)

viachicago

Postby vault » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:57 pm

vault wrote:
seank37 wrote:It's possible you need a new cart to match the phono stage in your receiver. As I recently found out, some stages are built for MM carts and some MC carts. I would check your model of receiver for the exact type. You could spend a small amount on one of these and return it if it's not your problem: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00025742A/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

bought that thing ^^ will report back if it rules

So the preamp thing didn't work as I already had a phono input but now there's a new weird plot twist: newer metal sounds wayy-thefuck-better on CD (floor/mayhem/left cross ((death metal)). Talking heads sounds a lil better on vinyl after I adjust the volume. Feel very confused now.
vault

Postby neta » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:13 pm

vintage talking heads most likely a tape transfer

newer metal most likely a glorified cd
ImageImageImageImageImage
neta

Postby hansibansix » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:56 pm

i have this deck (pro-ject debut III)
with phono amp integrated
connected to these active speakers (nubert nupro a200)

it's a nice, simple and affordable setup (<1000€)
hansibansix

Postby bobble » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:57 am

seank37 wrote:I think in that price range, they are pretty close. The Uturn is made in the USA, or at least assembled, though if that counts for anything. Crosley actually has a model of turntable that is basically a Pro-Ject. They have one at my local record shop, and I was pretty surprised at how good it sounded. Amazon sells it: https://www.amazon.com/Crosley-C10A-NA-Turntable-Vibration-Synchronous/dp/B015ACX5T0. For amps, check Craigslist in your area. You can usually find something pretty good to start and then work your way up to the heavy stuff. I've been slowly moving to this or that as I can afford it.

considering this crosley for my other room tt, paired w a lower powered vintage receiver. i'm not so prideful as to not save $$ because of crosley branding vs pro ject
bobble

Postby internethandle » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:29 am

god that digital volume control/readout is kind of horrendous
internethandle
ok

Postby davideotape » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:48 pm

popping this up because i just “downgraded” by selling my 1200s and picking up a uturn orbit plus i got good deal on. as i get older i realized any dj setup is just overkill and an “audiophile” setup is more appropriate for a home.

this uturn came with the built-in pre-amp but theres still a mild hum, it sounds much better than the two 1200s through a mixer but its still there. would keeping the pre-amp off and investing in a separate one help? would picking up a tube pre-amp really help that much?
davideotape

Postby dmitry » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:31 pm

is there a con to using a headphone amp as a pre-amp for powered speakers? the only reason i want to do this is that it greatly simplifies my setup -- no need to select output, just always run it through the headphone amp. both are A/B (magni & A5)
dmitry

Postby Mesh » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:40 pm

Autarch wrote:cAN someone explain to me the appeal of collecting records when you can get all music online and it sounds the same, if not better, and you don't have to get up halfway through the album, and you can jump as violently as you want without the needle skipping and also it's cheaper and it doesn't take up a ton of space? I'm honestly trying to figure out why people buy these things. Like, didn't CD's make them obsolete?

#1 (of 7 billion): ~20 minutes is a perfect amount of music before deciding what to hear next.
...brewed into the common yeast of the waves.
Mesh

Postby Poptone » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:35 pm

a few others:

- getting up halfway (or even less than if it's a double-album) keeps me from falling asleep during the listen (which I am prone to do) so i end up actively listening to more music
- artwork
- the concept of "sides" is a great way to construct your album, assuming it's sequenced properly
- a large chunk of what i purchase will only increase in value as time goes on
- fuckin' artwork, dude
- it's fun to collect something
- it's great when you find a record store filled with stuff you love and staffers you like cos then it's just another option for hanging out and meeting friends
- motherfucking goddamn artwork
Poptone
cat fan

Postby Poptone » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:37 pm

- since i've started collecting 45s as well as LPs/12"ers i will soon have enough to mount a couple of different vinyl-only DJ nights if i ever work up the courage
Poptone
cat fan

Postby viachicago » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:44 pm

Poptone wrote: - a large chunk of what i purchase will only increase in value as time goes on

ill take issue with this one, since like all trends, it has the potential to crash at any moment and i certainly wouldnt buy records with this expectation or purpose in mind
viachicago

Postby Eugenics » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:58 pm

Technics 1200 users (of any MK/year)
I'm curious as to the variety in how your platter torque has held up/been fixed/whatever...
Eugenics

Postby Mesh » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:19 pm

Been here since November 2016 and I still have five boxes of LPs to open. Proud of my Dual 1219. Not proud of my Sony receiver and 5-disc changer, which yes I do use or have begun to. I have better/cooler receivers in varying states of disrepair. CDs are in the other room. Turntable way up high is good at my house; I'm tall, my kids are short. My speakers cost $5 at a yard sale and are Speco DMS-3P, which apparently are these industrial indoor/outdoors, heavy as hell. They do fine for now but are on the way out.

edit: That's a real whatever portion of my movie collection. The expensive ones are upstairs for now. That River's Edge VHS was autographed by Crispin Glover.
...brewed into the common yeast of the waves.
Mesh

Previous

Return to Free-For-All