Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Weasel » Sat May 12, 2018 8:39 pm

Really liked this season. The last ep def should have ended on the couch, though, I do agree. Hilarious that they didn't even tell Tracy that they were leaving.
Weasel

Postby supersaturated » Sat May 12, 2018 10:03 pm

Kuboaa wrote:
ratbags wrote:i think clark's manager just took the fall for it like any manager would

I think it's pretty obvious Clark moved the gun

1) Pretty slick of Earn to quickly open Clark’s bag and move the gun without TSA noticing

2) If Clark moved the gun to Lucas’s bag - when did that happen? Seems more likely to me that the gun was still in Clark’s bag when it passed security and Clark implied it was Lucas’s bag to TSA. And Lucas agreed.

3) Did Clark know or suspect Earn put the gun in his bag? If so, he didn’t seem too mad about it on the plane.

4) On the plane, Al tells Earn, “I saw what you did at TSA.” So why did Earn have to clarify to Al at the end “that the piece was in Clark’s bag”? I guess to indicate/confirm that Lucas took the fall for Clark?

Altogether kinda confusing tbh

Also, definitely best show since Twin Peaks and High Maintenance. No great narrative tv left (or even coming?)
supersaturated

Postby Gooey Bechamel » Sat May 12, 2018 10:47 pm

Earn put it in Clark’s bag so Al would headline the tour.
Gooey Bechamel

Postby wuk » Sat May 12, 2018 11:10 pm

It was Clark's bag. His manager took the fall.
wuk

Postby object » Sun May 13, 2018 6:12 am

The thing that threw me is that Earn saw the gun and th3n asked someone for a bin
object

Postby Kuboaa » Sun May 13, 2018 10:32 am

I think it was meant to illustrate what Al said to Earn on the plane and in general with is management is that Earn is sloppy even tho he's smart.
I guess Earn leaning in and saying that it was in Clark's bag is Earn pointing out how un-loyal Clark is or that since Al was thinking of trying to hire Lucus to replace Earn that Earn was in fact not trying to sabotage Al's plans, I think Earn was thinking on the fly to get Clark arrested because a) then Al headlines and b) Earn doesn't like Clark
Kuboaa

Postby ratbags » Sun May 13, 2018 12:51 pm

Sounds pretty obvious to me
session to session
ratbags

Postby sympathy » Sun May 13, 2018 1:24 pm

Yeah the dude paperboi shot in the first episode was the tsa agent who moved it into the managers bag
sympathy
ok

Postby banquo » Sun May 13, 2018 1:59 pm

was it a festival? Because if the headliner doesn't show I'd expect the tour to get cancelled?
banquo

Postby Kuboaa » Sun May 13, 2018 2:57 pm

sympathy wrote:Yeah the dude paperboi shot in the first episode was the tsa agent who moved it into the managers bag

really? I didn't catch that at all
Kuboaa

Postby Quigley » Sun May 13, 2018 4:35 pm

I think that was a joke, but what actually did happen with that shooting in the first episode of the series? Like somebody got shot, and Ern seemed to be arrested (and now on probation) for something to do with it, but Alfred didn't seem to get arrested or charged did he? Maybe the gun went off but didn't hit anyone, and Ern took the rap for some kind of gun charge?
Quigley

Postby object » Sun May 13, 2018 4:45 pm

When Glover conceived of “Atlanta,” in 2013, he was prepared to fail spectacularly. But to fail spectacularly he had to first get on the air. He wrote the pilot accordingly. There was a standard cold open: a flash-forward to Alfred (played by Brian Tyree Henry) shooting a guy in a beef outside a liquor store. Then, after we were introduced to the main characters, including Earn’s withholding father (the winning character actor Isiah Whitlock, Jr.), we watched Earn spar about money and childcare with Van and work to establish his managerial bona fides with Alfred by paying a radio d.j. to play his new song. There was even some Twitter bait: a bow-tied guru who offered Earn a Nutella sandwich on the bus, and who, by TV logic, would inevitably return to guide him down some mildly surprising path.

“I knew what FX wanted from me,” Glover said. “They were thinking it’d be me and Craig Robinson”—the “Hot Tub Time Machine” actor—“horse-tailing around, and it’ll be kind of like ‘Community,’ and it’ll be on for a long time. I was Trojan-horsing FX. If I told them what I really wanted to do, it wouldn’t have gotten made.” Stephen Glover, Glover’s thirty-year-old brother and his closest collaborator on the show, said, “Donald promised, ‘Earn and Al work together to make it in the rough music industry. Al got famous for shooting someone and now he’s trying to deal with fame, and I’ll have a new song for him every week. Darius will be the funny one, and the gang’s going to be all together.’ That was the Trojan horse.”

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018 ... t-save-you

So the shooting was just part of a strategy for Glover to get his foot in the door i think.
object

Postby John Dark » Sun May 13, 2018 9:25 pm

Quigley wrote: but Alfred didn't seem to get arrested or charged did he?

He was under house arrest for a time, wasn't he?
Now here is the lake. And I still haven't changed.
John Dark

Postby internetfriend » Sun May 13, 2018 9:29 pm

Quigley wrote:I think that was a joke, but what actually did happen with that shooting in the first episode of the series? Like somebody got shot, and Ern seemed to be arrested (and now on probation) for something to do with it, but Alfred didn't seem to get arrested or charged did he? Maybe the gun went off but didn't hit anyone, and Ern took the rap for some kind of gun charge?

i think they established that the dude shot himself in the foot, earn and al were just brought in for questioning. also that the rumor got around that al had shot that guy, which was why he was even blowing up at all during the show’s run
iambic wrote:no don't make those posts
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Postby defective » Sun May 13, 2018 9:48 pm

best show on television no doubt.
defective

Postby creedence tapes » Mon May 14, 2018 12:32 am

internetfriend wrote:
Quigley wrote:I think that was a joke, but what actually did happen with that shooting in the first episode of the series? Like somebody got shot, and Ern seemed to be arrested (and now on probation) for something to do with it, but Alfred didn't seem to get arrested or charged did he? Maybe the gun went off but didn't hit anyone, and Ern took the rap for some kind of gun charge?

i think they established that the dude shot himself in the foot, earn and al were just brought in for questioning. also that the rumor got around that al had shot that guy, which was why he was even blowing up at all during the show’s run

I want to say earn had some weed on him and that's why he ended up detained for the night and al just walked after questioning re: the shooting. guess I could just go back and watch those two episodes.

Uh also I feel really dumb about taking so long to realize this. But Earn left Princeton because Lottie was born. It's never addressed explicitly, but it felt like an anvil dropped on top of my head when I was watching the finale the other day and realized it. like all of s1 I spent assuming there was some big mysterious reason for it, but imo, he just didn't trust that the white institution of an Ivy League school would really lead to a better future for him and his kid. He went home to take care of her and be with her because caring for her immediately was more important to him.
creedence tapes

Postby Quigley » Mon May 14, 2018 7:44 am

Ah that all makes sense, thanks.
Quigley

Postby aububs » Mon May 14, 2018 7:59 am

only low points this season for me were the episode when earn and van went to that weird oktoberfest festival thing, and the drake episode also felt like filler

the rest was great

I'd like if they only did one more season
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby internetfriend » Mon May 14, 2018 11:28 am

aububs wrote:only low points this season for me were the episode when earn and van went to that weird oktoberfest festival thing, and the drake episode also felt like filler

the rest was great

I'd like if they only did one more season

sounds like you don’t like van episodes!

i thought oktoberfest was the strongest i think
iambic wrote:no don't make those posts
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Postby aububs » Mon May 14, 2018 11:42 am

yeah I don't really like van or earn episodes

I mean I like 'em, but not as much
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby jalapeño ranch » Mon May 14, 2018 12:05 pm

Helen might be my second favorite episode of the season behind Teddy Perkins. Thinking it's the weakest seems crazy to me.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:
jalapeño ranch

Postby hyperbole man » Mon May 14, 2018 12:50 pm

helen & champagne papi were my two favs!

but also i didn't dislike... anything about this season i think??
hyperbole man
post/username

Postby lightfoot » Mon May 14, 2018 2:34 pm

yeah idk if i can pick a least favorite

really one of the best seasons of tv i have ever seen
lightfoot

Postby aububs » Mon May 14, 2018 2:55 pm

jalapeño ranch wrote:Helen might be my second favorite episode of the season behind Teddy Perkins. Thinking it's the weakest seems crazy to me.

is helen the oktoberfest one? i dunno it just took me out of my comfort zone or something. i mean it's no biggie i did like the ep, just not as much as the other eps! maybe i'm 2 basic 4 helen (in that, tbh, i want atlanta to be the paperboy/darius dynamic, not the earn/van one. is that basic of me? maybe)

sorry!

i will say this gently and hope that any response is in kind: i'm not totally all in on atlanta like most people here seem to be. i like it a lot! a huge amount! but it wouldn't make my top 10 all timers. i'm not gonna start listing shows.

also i will say that watching this show through the eyes of an american is, i have no doubt, an entirely different experience
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby mellowgold » Tue May 15, 2018 11:37 am

wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.
mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby pissydan » Tue May 15, 2018 12:51 pm

january shoot would mean, what, fall of 2019 release? because that would be a wonderful surprise.
As life would have it, Johnny did somebody wrong and they filed a complaint.
pissydan
|ᵆ|>

Postby bongo » Wed May 16, 2018 10:18 am

midway through S1

thanks to my twin peaks friends for recommending this i love it
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby shirts optional » Mon May 21, 2018 12:10 am

top 5 from this season:

1) North of the Border
2) Teddy Perkins
3) Barbershop
4) Crabs in a Barrel
5) Helen
shirts optional

Postby tgk » Mon May 21, 2018 12:12 am

Pretty much agree with that though its hard to leave off alligator man i might swap that w crabs
tgk

Postby aububs » Mon May 21, 2018 5:05 am

want more florida man content next season
no buddy not really
aububs

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....