PHANTOM THREAD (2017) (PTA x DDL)

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby landspeedrecord » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:35 am

delgriffith wrote:Yeah, the extent to which his work helps "transform" the women who wear them (and whether or not that matters to him) is a pretty interesting element of the film to me. I'm too dumb to articulate it well, but there's something about the way that Barbara Rose not only "disrespects" the dress he makes her at the wedding, but still sees herself as ugly and imperfect when she's being fitted, that enrages him. Obviously the contrast there is not only with Alma's voiceover ("But in his work I become perfect... and I feel just right") but also with Henrietta's fitting at the start of the movie ("Worth everything we've been through... I feel like it will give me courage.")

One element of that I picked up on during my third viewing was that during his objection to going to Barbara Rose's wedding, he insists to her it wouldn't be right, and that his place is here - the house where he works and lives. I initially saw that as more of a feature of his routine and his need for control, but then I remembered that he sends (?) Cyril to the party to observe Henrietta in the dress at the start (right after that "I feel like it will give me courage" line). I guess it's unclear whether that's more for Cyril or for him, but ultimately there isn't really a moment in the film where we watch him take any pleasure in the apparent pleasure his dresses give the women who wear them - at least in anything other than a very private setting, on his terms.

this might be a stretch, since I am imposing a framework on people that I don't know personally, but I find the film to be a satisfying metaphor for how pta & ddl's approach to their creative process

reynolds' relationship to alma, the muse, is one in which she inspires his work but has no say in what it eventually becomes. she can of course have her own taste, but she is a vehicle for reynolds' house style. which is to say that while pta might be inspired by other works or artists, he produces work which is uniquely his. reynolds takes great pleasure in knowing that he is being watched, by his mother and other grand masters of fashion, keeping traditions alive. I saw it with a fashion major, who felt that even for its time that this clothing was tremendously stodgy, out-of-touch, old-school. sure it's well-made, but it's a little tasteless. reynolds' makes clothes for the rich, for royalty. he's doing new things within a an established tradition

as del rightly points out, reynolds does not seem to have much interest in seeing his work's relationship to the public, he does it for himself, and then moves on to the next project. he isn't interested in what is new or chic, but rather in honing his own preoccupations/style with each successive work.

when he tires himself out or is happy he falls back into nostalgia, into childhood, and can be himself. he visits the country, he indulges in rich foods: butter, cream, scones, meats. but when he is in the process, he needs a routine, no distractions. never looking backward, only forwards.

I love this film, there's lots to chew on... for the hungry!
rather be an idiot than a sheeple
landspeedrecord

Postby emotional fascism » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:50 pm

this movie's probably gonna push me into a 4K TV and player.
emotional fascism

Postby blurst of times » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:38 pm

i can't help but grimace when i think about how constipated woodcock must be with that diet of his
blurst of times
ride.

Postby brent » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:02 pm

blurst of times wrote:i can't help but grimace when i think about how constipated woodcock must be with that diet of his

that's probably why he's such a grumpy gus
brent

Postby aububs » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:12 pm

i got the impression he eats pretty healthily, or normally, most of the time, except for when he's feeling frisky or in the post-coital throes, when he'll go large on breakfast and decimate every sausage in the vicinity

at one stage he even says something to the effect of "i SAID no stodgy stuff at breakfast!"

he's partial to a binge like the best of us, but keeps it sensible most of the time

that's the vibe i got from mr woodcock
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby OKterrific » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:19 pm

this might be a dumb question but is DDL doing a certain type of British accent in this? he almost sounds German to me at times
mcwop23 wrote:no need for lame earnest dad posts
OKterrific
our rachel maddow

Postby Celiac Cruz » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:18 pm

from what I've seen of him in interviews that seems to be his natural accent, but I've also found him to be a bit of a ham with accents so maybe it's dialed up a little
Celiac Cruz

Postby Billa Clack » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:37 pm

landspeedrecord wrote:the scene where Reynolds sees his mother during his fever dream is my personal favorite... simply devastating

The music during this moment was beautiful. Found myself welling up without knowing why.
Billa Clack

Postby manvstrees » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:29 pm

floored and i'm going to need vicky krieps to be in every film from now on with no exceptions
Flutehampton will turn out to have always been relished by women who dwell in or near to the past. This is where The Little Reptiles were digitally collected. In recent decades it has become a popular photographic background whenever a maverick cop marries a hooker with a heart of gold.
manvstrees

Postby mellowgold » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:48 pm

sus that no one found my story about my mother seeing phantom thread charming and hilarious?
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.
mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby Decimal Place » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:12 pm

The extras for home video formats got announced

Special Features:
Camera Tests – With audio commentary by Paul Thomas Anderson
For the Hungry Boy – A collection of deleted scenes. Music by Jonny Greenwood
House of Woodcock Fashion Show – Fashion Show narrated by Adam Buxton
Behind the Scenes Photographs – Photographs from the film by Michael Bauman with demo versions of Jonny Greenwood's score
Technical Specs:
Audio: English DTS:X and Dolby Digital 2.0, French and Spanish DTS Digital Surround 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish

Really looking forward to the Adam Buxton thing :) . Don't know if anyone listens to his podcast, but it looks like he's currently editing an ep he's recorded with PTA.
Decimal Place

Postby WeirdJungle » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:16 pm

OKterrific wrote:this might be a dumb question but is DDL doing a certain type of British accent in this? he almost sounds German to me at times

I definitely felt this way too

there were some scenes where i could close my eyes and picture werner herzog reading the lines
WeirdJungle

Postby odilonredon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:25 pm

am i making a huge mistake if i watch this for the first time with the screener in the db
E|---------------------|
B|---------------------|
G|-2-2-2-0^(0)-2^3^2-0
D|---------------------|
A|---------------------|
E|---------------------|
odilonredon

Postby mellowgold » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:35 pm

no
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.
mellowgold

Postby delgriffith » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:38 pm

Decimal Place wrote:The extras for home video formats got announced

Special Features:
Camera Tests – With audio commentary by Paul Thomas Anderson
For the Hungry Boy – A collection of deleted scenes. Music by Jonny Greenwood
House of Woodcock Fashion Show – Fashion Show narrated by Adam Buxton
Behind the Scenes Photographs – Photographs from the film by Michael Bauman with demo versions of Jonny Greenwood's score
Technical Specs:
Audio: English DTS:X and Dolby Digital 2.0, French and Spanish DTS Digital Surround 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish

Really looking forward to the Adam Buxton thing :) . Don't know if anyone listens to his podcast, but it looks like he's currently editing an ep he's recorded with PTA.

Damn, this is surprising and great news.
delgriffith

Postby delgriffith » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:38 pm

mellowgold wrote:sus that no one found my story about my mother seeing phantom thread charming and hilarious?

It was both :)
delgriffith

Postby Pokemon Mastah » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:47 pm

i find paul anderson to be a bit hit and miss, but this was great. definitely his best since event horizon
Pokemon Mastah

Postby Marcus » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:49 pm

Just got this text my dad:

Your mom cooking some hand picked mushrooms for me. Do you know how to ID the poisinous ones?
Last edited by Marcus on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marcus

Postby mellowgold » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:50 pm

wow ur parents must have great sex
mellowgold

Postby easy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:55 pm

dude your parents are totally boning
easy
does it

Postby delgriffith » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:56 pm

That rules.
delgriffith

Postby ratbags » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:01 pm

Marcus, that's a good post/av
session to session
ratbags

Postby Decimal Place » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:12 pm

Pokemon Mastah wrote:i find paul anderson to be a bit hit and miss, but this was great. definitely his best since event horizon

These guys surely must have met at a party where they've felt obliged to have a conversation about how funny it is that they have basically the same name, do ostensibly the same job and yet command wildly different levels of respect for their efforts. I like to imagine PTA taking PWSA to one side at an industry bash and telling him: "Filmmaker to filmmaker, I actually really admire what you accomplished with Resident Evil: Afterlife".
Decimal Place

Postby Marcus » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:20 pm

ratbags wrote:Marcus, that's a good post/av

Oh wow haha
Marcus

Postby ripersnifle » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:22 pm

happy that this screener leaked so i can watch this every night now!
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet
ripersnifle wrote:that aesthetic was tight
worrywort wrote:it's called the temple grandin
ripersnifle

Postby delgriffith » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:33 pm

ripersnifle wrote:happy that this screener leaked so i can watch this every night now!

delgriffith

Postby Reliable Tradesman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:51 am

Saw this early today, succulent movie.
Reliable Tradesman

Postby shacky » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:30 am

SHOW
ME
YOUR
GUN
shacky

Postby shacky » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:30 am

GIMME THE BLOOD LORD