i lvoe the grateful dead with all my heart

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Dinosauria We » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:52 pm

witchfinder wrote:
madness and chaos wrote:maybe I'm a dick for saying this but not my point at all

but scratched a definite gd itch that has absolutely nothing to do with the dead today

i guess it's just the same balm i get from gd

https://www.nts.live/shows/lavender-kite-audio-research-hour/episodes/lavender-kite-audio-research-hour-28th-june-2018



Love this


Yeah this is extremely sick, thanks!
User avatar
Dinosauria We
 
Posts: 6198
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:02 pm

Postby madness and chaos » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:55 pm

Dinosauria We wrote:
witchfinder wrote:
madness and chaos wrote:maybe I'm a dick for saying this but not my point at all

but scratched a definite gd itch that has absolutely nothing to do with the dead today

i guess it's just the same balm i get from gd

https://www.nts.live/shows/lavender-kite-audio-research-hour/episodes/lavender-kite-audio-research-hour-28th-june-2018



Love this


Yeah this is extremely sick, thanks!


so glad someone loves! I just felt it! so glad!
Roberto Bolaño's chair
User avatar
madness and chaos
 
Posts: 3002
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:20 pm
Location: across 110th street

Postby Franco » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:00 pm

alaska wrote:
k_uger wrote:WOW

pardon me while I go mainline some Hornsby Dead now...


Can anyone rec a show from this era? I haven't really dug into it yet


MSG 90!
User avatar
Franco
 
Posts: 4525
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:24 am

Postby Franco » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:04 pm

Specifically the latter half of shows but take your pick
User avatar
Franco
 
Posts: 4525
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:24 am

Postby Dinosauria We » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:24 pm

madness and chaos wrote:
Dinosauria We wrote:
witchfinder wrote:
madness and chaos wrote:maybe I'm a dick for saying this but not my point at all

but scratched a definite gd itch that has absolutely nothing to do with the dead today

i guess it's just the same balm i get from gd

https://www.nts.live/shows/lavender-kite-audio-research-hour/episodes/lavender-kite-audio-research-hour-28th-june-2018



Love this


Yeah this is extremely sick, thanks!


so glad someone loves! I just felt it! so glad!


For sure. I'm way deep in a hole on this site. All sorts of great stuff on here. If you want to point me in the direction of any specific shows or whatever that would be awesome.
User avatar
Dinosauria We
 
Posts: 6198
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:02 pm

Postby k_uger » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:25 pm

alaska wrote:
k_uger wrote:WOW

pardon me while I go mainline some Hornsby Dead now...


Can anyone rec a show from this era? I haven't really dug into it yet

9/90, 3-4/91, 6/91, & 9/91 are all just great months to explore... find a set list you dig and dive in! while Vince’s keyboard tones are often nauseating he can still be a compelling player at times, and he and Bruce combine with Peak Bobby and not-quite-89-90-but-still-solid Jerry to form this multi-headed melodic snake, a pulsing angelic wall of sound at times, especially when Branford joins in.. don’t sleep on the guest spots below!! shit gets REAL.

12/31/90 - w/ Branford
3/17/91 - Ruben & Cherise!! Bobby, Bruce, & Jerry on the jam are unreal! Bruce at 6:25 and Bobby at 6:55 are A+++
3/21/91 - Bird Song :)
3/31/91 - Eyes!
4/1/91 - Dark Star
9/10/91 - w/ Branford
9/20/91 - Help > Slipknot! > FIRE (!!)
we are mrs pizza shit
User avatar
k_uger
 
Posts: 2048
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:20 pm
Location: remember that thing from the

Postby alaska » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:33 pm

Hell yeah, thanks y'all :D
mactheo wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:Our lives are ... so cool
User avatar
alaska
ride.
 
Posts: 6043
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:36 pm
Location: Manhattans Upper East Side

Postby madness and chaos » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:39 pm

Dinosauria We wrote:
madness and chaos wrote:
Dinosauria We wrote:
witchfinder wrote:
madness and chaos wrote:maybe I'm a dick for saying this but not my point at all

but scratched a definite gd itch that has absolutely nothing to do with the dead today

i guess it's just the same balm i get from gd

https://www.nts.live/shows/lavender-kite-audio-research-hour/episodes/lavender-kite-audio-research-hour-28th-june-2018



Love this


Yeah this is extremely sick, thanks!


so glad someone loves! I just felt it! so glad!


For sure. I'm way deep in a hole on this site. All sorts of great stuff on here. If you want to point me in the direction of any specific shows or whatever that would be awesome.


not gd at all but
https://www.nts.live/shows/guests/episodes/robert-beatty-4th-september-2017
https://www.nts.live/shows/geologist/episodes/geologist-26th-june-2018

lot radio is amazing too
https://www.mixcloud.com/thelotradio/image-man-with-jimi-hey-the-lot-radio-03262018/
https://www.mixcloud.com/thelotradio/image-man-jimi-hey-the-lot-radio-06182018/

and dublab of course

many more, but these are super recent favs
Roberto Bolaño's chair
User avatar
madness and chaos
 
Posts: 3002
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:20 pm
Location: across 110th street

Postby k_uger » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:55 pm

9/18/91 - Crazy Fingers > Playin > Terrapin (20 min!) is sublime.. this is just what I needed right now
we are mrs pizza shit
User avatar
k_uger
 
Posts: 2048
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:20 pm
Location: remember that thing from the

Postby reversemigraine » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:00 pm

I feel like I'm demeaning the thread by saying this (and it's probably covered partially in the depths of the hoot thread), but I've always wanted a For Dummies-level compendium of jam bands.

Like, just an A-to-Z rundown of, like, "Here's the one-paragraph summary of what Govt Mule / Widespread Panic / Guster / Spearhead / whatever was all about."
User avatar
reversemigraine
 
Posts: 11361
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:40 pm

Postby VHGisdead » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:28 pm

alaska wrote:
k_uger wrote:WOW

pardon me while I go mainline some Hornsby Dead now...


Can anyone rec a show from this era? I haven't really dug into it yet


how bout forgetting the Dead and going for Hornsby 4/28/01, where my youth orchestra played with him? We encored Black Muddy River
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.
User avatar
VHGisdead
 
Posts: 34570
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:23 pm

Postby VHGisdead » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:31 pm

jewels wrote:This weekend I had 20 min to kill and stopped by a flea market with a 2 CDs for a $1. I like to give money to weirdo's so I dug in.

I instantly saw "What's the Story Morning Glory" and grabbed it. But even for just 50 cents more I couldn't find a second CD that wouldn't go right in the trash. Then I noticed a car holder full of CDs that may or may not have just been stolen from a car. I found disk one (but not disk two) of "Without a Net" and grabbed it.

I put that fucker in my car CD and OH MY GOD IT SCRATCHED AN ITCH I DID NOT KNOW I HAD.

I'm sure they sweetened it a bit for the album release, but it sounded so perfect.

I'm not the biggest Brent fan, but I have a spot in my heart for him. But I was loving all the Brentness of this. The way Brent's keyboard stabs were louder than Jerry's solos? Yes! The way his harmony was louder than Bobby's main lyrics? Sign me up!

Anyway.
Apparently I needed "Without a Net" in my life, which I had previously only heard once in my life, on a radio show the week it came out, which played the CD in it's entirety, which was a thing they did back then on Sunday nights.


this like, the only Dead CD I had in high school, other than American Beauty. Hadn't thought about it in over a decade until I was listening to Nassau '90 a couple weeks ago and realized that it had what I guess is my definitive (first and only for a long time) version of Eyes of the World
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.
User avatar
VHGisdead
 
Posts: 34570
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:23 pm

Postby Franco » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:35 pm

VHGisdead wrote:
alaska wrote:
k_uger wrote:WOW

pardon me while I go mainline some Hornsby Dead now...


Can anyone rec a show from this era? I haven't really dug into it yet


how bout forgetting the Dead and going for Hornsby 4/28/01, where my youth orchestra played with him? We encored Black Muddy River


Link!

Also yeah that Eyes and Bird Song with Branford are pure uncut magic
User avatar
Franco
 
Posts: 4525
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:24 am

Postby VHGisdead » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:39 pm

Franco wrote:
VHGisdead wrote:
alaska wrote:
k_uger wrote:WOW

pardon me while I go mainline some Hornsby Dead now...


Can anyone rec a show from this era? I haven't really dug into it yet


how bout forgetting the Dead and going for Hornsby 4/28/01, where my youth orchestra played with him? We encored Black Muddy River


Link!

Also yeah that Eyes and Bird Song with Branford are pure uncut magic


man, I don't think there's a recording. actually, there could be. I'll ask my dad tomorrow. It was one of the highlights of his life.

Our orchestra actually did play Eyes because our conductor was a Deadhead, but not with Hornsby. I played the sax parts. We played it when we opened for James Taylor :lol:
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.
User avatar
VHGisdead
 
Posts: 34570
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:23 pm

Postby k_uger » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:40 pm

wuttttt?! that’s awesome!

I’ve got a good buddy who did VYO with Trey back in 01 for the orchestral Guyute debut, he’s not even a phan tho!
we are mrs pizza shit
User avatar
k_uger
 
Posts: 2048
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:20 pm
Location: remember that thing from the

Postby Quigley » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:50 pm

r m wrote:I feel like I'm demeaning the thread by saying this (and it's probably covered partially in the depths of the hoot thread), but I've always wanted a For Dummies-level compendium of jam bands.

Like, just an A-to-Z rundown of, like, "Here's the one-paragraph summary of what Govt Mule / Widespread Panic / Guster / Spearhead / whatever was all about."


Image
User avatar
Quigley
 
Posts: 2650
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:04 am
Location: Bytown

Postby VHGisdead » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:54 pm

I should clarify that there was no sax solo in our version of Eyes. So I guess it wasn't the "sax part." It was just the vocal melody written for sax. I think. I can barely remember.
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.
User avatar
VHGisdead
 
Posts: 34570
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:23 pm

Postby jewels » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:41 am

Some of those simpsons are so perfect
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?
User avatar
jewels
 
Posts: 20866
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:33 pm

Postby Kenny » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:13 am

Who is the guy in Yonder Mountain? (and what does Apu being for Beats Antique mean, dorky?)

The Disco Biscuits one made me lol
Image REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS ImageImage
Never forget, other opinions are available
User avatar
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee
 
Posts: 16295
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:04 am
Location: https://i.imgur.com/YhvNstr.jpg

Postby jewels » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:21 am

Further and phish should swap
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?
User avatar
jewels
 
Posts: 20866
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:33 pm

Postby Quigley » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:44 am

I've never heard of bests antique, I hope the artist doesn't intend forsomething racist in picking Apu for it. Comic book guy probably fits phish too due to the online "worst show ever" PT contingent, but I also feel like every second dude at a phish show sounds like Otto.
User avatar
Quigley
 
Posts: 2650
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:04 am
Location: Bytown

Postby Kenny » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:46 am

Phish is definitely both Otto and Comic Book Guy. Feel like Grateful Dead being Abe is actually one of the weakest, just "It's an old band"

I just looked up Beats Antique and yeah I think it's talking about how it's "world beats" :-/
Image REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS ImageImage
Never forget, other opinions are available
User avatar
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee
 
Posts: 16295
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:04 am
Location: https://i.imgur.com/YhvNstr.jpg

Postby Quigley » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:34 am

Ugh, I'm sorry for missing that before I posted. Take this one instead (obviously made by a Mule fan by how they switched Otto & CBG):

Image
User avatar
Quigley
 
Posts: 2650
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:04 am
Location: Bytown

Postby Kenny » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:36 am

That's a better Grateful Dead one too, fer sure.

I don't really know Umphrey's McGee, so why are they saying it's for babbys?
Image REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS ImageImage
Never forget, other opinions are available
User avatar
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee
 
Posts: 16295
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:04 am
Location: https://i.imgur.com/YhvNstr.jpg

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:50 am

Umphrey's and Bisco tend to skew young in the fanbases. Bisco is kids that are way too fucked up for their own good, Umphrey's has a lot of "nerdy" teenage music fans that are all about the intricacies of the music
User avatar
rich uncle skeleton
 
Posts: 1310
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:56 am
Location: Brooklyn

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:51 am

Like Umphrey's is the most proggy jam band imo, and Storm Thorgerson has done some album art for them
User avatar
rich uncle skeleton
 
Posts: 1310
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:56 am
Location: Brooklyn

Postby domesticwhite » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:53 am

really want one of those "can earth be heaven if we get high enough" online-ceramics shirts goddamn thats sick
User avatar
domesticwhite
 
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:34 pm
Location: chicago, il

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:53 am

If Phish hadn't reunited I probably would be mainlining Bisco/STS9/Umphrey's rn. I was really trying to force myself to like them in hs circa 2007 so I would have an active jamband to follow. Then Trey got clean and Phish reunited and I abandoned them all
User avatar
rich uncle skeleton
 
Posts: 1310
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:56 am
Location: Brooklyn

Postby Kenny » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:56 am

Sounds like Umphrey's may be my speed...
Image REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS ImageImage
Never forget, other opinions are available
User avatar
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee
 
Posts: 16295
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:04 am
Location: https://i.imgur.com/YhvNstr.jpg

Postby jewels » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:03 am

I saw bisco in 1997, ama
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?
User avatar
jewels
 
Posts: 20866
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:33 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: clownwig, fosse, Franco, gambra, glaucon, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], greenriver, HotFingersClub, iwillneverpost, jewels, mascotte, Melville, My Pal the Crook, nice pass, potentialgetawaydriver, shirts optional, silverapples, strange potion, swamp rock, sympathy, theta, trampoline, trouble, wong