Postby butter » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:24 pm

Fuck Harvard tbh
butter

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:25 pm

terminus wrote:just getting in here before buzz's bombshell post

the beginning of the beginning of the end of the beginning
Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby comet » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:30 pm

That butter cow is pedestrian compared to the butter sculptures at the PA Farm Show.
ver_rare: predatory straight dudes are afraid of buttstuff
comet
Someguy Devotee

Postby Ted Pikul » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:33 pm

All this butter talk is getting me excited for primary season and candidates shoving deep fried butter sticks in their mouths to show they're real Americans
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"
Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby Bartatua » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:40 pm

Big Oil wrote:jeeeeeeeeeeeeesus

national npr is dogshit
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby Klint » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:45 pm

Yeah, I stopped listening to NPR after they gave Richard Spencer that like 12 minute piece to spout off about a white ethnostate right after the election.
mites wrote:going back to ruining my life with drugs and drink and listening to public image ltd
Klint

Postby Classic Dog Avatar » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:53 pm

let's give npr a chance
Classic Dog Avatar
ride.

Postby snuggle » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:59 pm

More like Nationalist (white nationalist) Public Radio
snuggle

Postby fester » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:13 pm

npr has a lot of different programming
------------
fester

Postby light rail coyote » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:36 pm

Big Oil wrote:
galactagogue wrote:

it's so bizarre to me how people have the shittiest internal logic where they actually make arguments for wanting everything to stay exactly the same, but use a tone of like 'we need to raise the bar' bullshit. this tweet thread particularly irked me this AM. i haven't finished my coffee.

love to demand polished cowed centrism

i'm late to this/don't know what the overall discussion ITT was like but as someone who has worked with a ton of elected officials AOC's minor policy confusions are nothing compared to some of the shit that i've seen/lots of elected officials that seem very qualified on paper are gigantic dumbasses. just off of the top of my head, i once had to explain how labor unions work to a multi-term incumbent metro councilor. i worked with multiple state representatives/senators who didn't understand the difference between charter, public, and private schools despite being told multiple times. i've posted a few times about the state senator who was genuinely convinced that russians hacked voting machines in 2004 and that's why bush won ohio because he was reading some sub-louise mensch style conspiracy theorist on twitter. my fundraising firm conned quite a few state electeds into spending money on launching ineffective issue PACs because they didn't understand how campaign finance laws worked.

AOC is a young activist candidate working with a largely volunteer organization that doesn't have the kind of paid policy staff surrounding her to prep her on stuff like that. there's going to be roadbumps and they're fair to point out, but the standards she's being held to by the press are way, way higher than other people in her position and it's a combination of the fact that she's a woman, person of color, and not a wealthy white collar professional. people will tolerate way more significant mistakes if you're a rich white dude lawyer with connections.
light rail coyote

Postby Self Destructive Zone » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:41 pm

I think it was Matty who pointed out that like half of the Senate doesnt believe in Climate Change in response to criticism of AOC
giant screens with skies exploding/thumping bass and power chords/we got a preacher if you're listening/he'll play his guitar if you're bored
Self Destructive Zone

Postby black mamba » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:58 pm

black mamba
ok

Postby viachicago » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:02 pm

worst new ABC sitcom
viachicago

Postby Riverchrist » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:12 pm

black mamba wrote:Image

I don't know. It says right there he is good man.
Riverchrist

Postby hoopdog » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:15 pm

what was the tweet?

did it end with "how come they get to say it?"
hoopdog
ride.

Postby REAL BASED SLOB » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:20 pm

Bad thing happened to Goodman
When John Walsh refers to criminals as cowards and creeps I just get more jacked
REAL BASED SLOB

Postby DasLofGang » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:30 pm

first they came for Spoonman, and I said nothing
heaven’s full of murderers
DasLofGang

Postby important dentist » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:32 pm

light rail coyote wrote:i'm late to this/don't know what the overall discussion ITT was like but as someone who has worked with a ton of elected officials AOC's minor policy confusions are nothing compared to some of the shit that i've seen/lots of elected officials that seem very qualified on paper are gigantic dumbasses.

yeah basically the only reason anything gets done is expertise at the staff level. most politicians have a good (or at least a working) grasp of broad policy issues and plenty have a somewhat deeper understanding of issues related to their non-politician job or a pet issue, but basically all of the nuts and bolts comes from behind the scenes
"My foremost duty is to the board," Important Dentist countered. "I
cannot afford to spend that much time researching human sexuality."
important dentist

Postby important dentist » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:34 pm

Riverchrist wrote:
black mamba wrote:

I don't know. It says right there he is good man.

is that name literally chosen to sound like "what a good man" when you say it fast
"My foremost duty is to the board," Important Dentist countered. "I
cannot afford to spend that much time researching human sexuality."
important dentist

Postby jewels » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:35 pm

That’s why I’m so glad trump hires all the best people
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?
jewels

Postby farmer » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:41 pm

frankly it would be absurd to have elected officials be true policy experts on anything at all, much less everything and more. what they need is a good head on their shoulders and a skill for synthesizing expertise from many other actual experts.
farmer

Postby comet » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:07 pm

Just spent 20 minutes trying to explain what fake news really means to a Trump coworker, and also expressed to him that I think we could afford to be taxed a lot more heavily to pay for social programs. He got pretty mad. His retort was that he voted for Obama twice and Obama did nothing for our country.
ver_rare: predatory straight dudes are afraid of buttstuff
comet
Someguy Devotee

Postby scurrydog » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:17 pm

I usually use a personal example. Like, I wouldn’t have been able to finish my undergraduate degree at UT if Obama hadn’t raised the size of the pell grants.
The fact I now have a masters degree and some legitimate personal success is in large part directly related to Obama.

Also, 2 less personal examples is the fact that they even had any amount of money after the bush economy cratered can be directly attributed to Obama.
Oh, plus they probably know somebody who is still alive because of Obamacare.
somewhere there's a fake me out there.
scurrydog
ok

Postby mooncalf » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:46 pm

comet wrote:Just spent 20 minutes trying to explain what fake news really means to a Trump coworker, and also expressed to him that I think we could afford to be taxed a lot more heavily to pay for social programs. He got pretty mad. His retort was that he voted for Obama twice and Obama did nothing for our country.

for the non-politically savvy, even those sympathetic towards progressive aims, raising taxes for a more robust social safety net is anathema. we just need to reduce waste or end the drug war or whatever and then there will be plenty of money to fund social programs. source: my fb contacts (in the bay area)

given this, progressive messaging either needs to be dishonest or needs to educate people that taxation isn't an inherently bad thing. the former might be easier but i think it's necessary to get people to come around on the latter.
mooncalf

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:51 pm

i feel like people need to understand that they're losing more from shitty pay than from taxing, but it's a bit more abstract that way and harder to convince people of ime
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby easy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:52 pm

the thing about taxes is, the finger thing means them.
easy
does it

Postby farmer » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:53 pm

i think it would really help if we would stop treating taxes like a separate expense from everything else that builds your life. people freak out about the prospect of the cost of m4a because they think "oh my taxes will go up!" and not "oh my taxes+healthexpenses will go down!"

groceries are part of your food fees.
rent is part of your shelter fees.
lease payments is part of your transportation fees.
taxes are part of your food, shelter, transportation, safety, and many, many other fees.

taxes aren't levied by some king for his gilded palace; they are as integral to your life working the way it does as any of your other expenses.
farmer

Postby jewels » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:58 pm

I don’t know that pell grants to artist are going to convince anyone who needs convincing
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?
jewels

Postby palmer eldritch » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:16 pm

you don't need to convince people that their taxes should be higher, just that people richer than they are should have taxes that are higher
palmer eldritch

Postby mcwop23 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:21 pm

palmer eldritch wrote:you don't need to convince people that their taxes should be higher, just that people richer than they are should have taxes that are higher

yeah but people still think they’ll be rich as well one day so they won’t agree to it
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....