Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby palmer eldritch » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:10 pm

palmer eldritch

Postby palmer eldritch » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:11 pm

this discharge petition storyline is some classic squish bullshit
palmer eldritch

Postby Buddy Glass » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:16 pm

Jabberwocky wrote:A lot of western Europeans are dumb and myopic. And as African and Middle Eastern migrants began coming out southern European shores in 2014-15, we have witnessed how toxically racist Spanish, Italian, French, etc. society can be. However, all of those countries have a government that is forced to acknowledge and respond to the pressures of their citizens by ensuring access to healthcare, housing, and education. Instead, we have a public that is actively opposed to those things. Like, there are eighty year old dudes who worked their entire lives in assembly lines who will tell you all about how public education is basically just an untrustworthy liberal propaganda machine. And that is what fucks me up. It is a social phenomenon that predates Trump by decades, but he did a good job fomenting it during the campaign and through his Presidency.

It's hard to say it without sounding completely and impossibly naive about the realities of contemporary European life, but I've always felt there is something that still exists in Europe that died in the States a long, long time ago. South Africa felt the same way. Hard to pin it down precisely, but people simply felt more vibrant and alive to me, even with such a vicious recent history and plenty of problems since. They made a complete stranger and outsider feel welcome in a way I've almost never experienced in America, and I'm from the supposedly more hospitable south.

But beyond the hospitality, they seemed to possess a more intrinsic enjoyment of life. People laughed more, smiled more, said hello to each other, didn't sweat the small stuff as much. In France you see and feel this creeping spiritual death we call neoliberal capitalism everywhere, but at least you get the palpable sense that something is dying - you can see it being overtaken almost in real time, but you can also see the struggle against it. A struggle that is losing, but at least it's there. That spark of life hasn't yet been completely extinguished.

In the US it often feels less like people have been beaten down and given in, and more like they're unaware of something even having been surrendered or lost - at least, those battles seem to have largely ended before I was even born. As if something about American culture embraces this living death, wants instead to regard it as a virtue or progress or being tougher and harder working than the rest of the world. Arrogance, chauvinism, exceptionalism. I'm speaking in gross generalizations and abstractions, of course, and maybe I'm just projecting my own self-loathing as an American, but it really does feel that way to me, having spent a fair amount of time outside the US. There's a sense of something horribly shifting every time I come back, even to my rather privileged circumstances. I guess I'm really talking here about labor struggles, but to me that's basically inseparable from any other notion of life, since most of our lives are spent working (or otherwise facing the fallout of being unable or unwilling to do so). Sorry for this post, barney surf, etc.
Last edited by Buddy Glass on Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What became of her? She lived, as she liked to say, off the kindness of gentlemen. I assume she’s dead.
Buddy Glass

Postby Big Oil » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:18 pm

hell yeah let's do this

Big Oil

Postby jalapeño ranch » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:21 pm

Won’t that fuck up voting pretty bad? Glad I’m still in California.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:
jalapeño ranch

Postby Autarch » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:22 pm

personally, i would've gerrymandered that map better
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby Autarch » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:23 pm

jalapeño ranch wrote:Won’t that fuck up voting pretty bad? Glad I’m still in California.

it would give dems more senators and more electoral votes.
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby speakers » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:26 pm

the 3 state solution
speakers

Postby mcwop23 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:28 pm

BREAK IT UP
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby Big Oil » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:29 pm

Autarch wrote:personally, i would've gerrymandered that map better

I'm seeing three blue states
Big Oil

Postby saranclaps » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:29 pm

Definitely want to trust the guy who still defends his daughter's BFF Elizabeth Holmes and is a fucking idiot who rides on his dad's coattails
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening
saranclaps

Postby Big Oil » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:32 pm

David Faris says 7 states so this seems like a healthy compromise.
Big Oil

Postby Jabberwocky » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:32 pm

Buddy Glass wrote:In the US it often feels less like people have been beaten down and given in, and more like they're unaware of something even having been surrendered or lost - at least, those battles seem to have largely ended before I was even born. As if something about American culture embraces this living death, wants instead to regard it as a virtue or progress or being tougher and harder working than the rest of the world. Arrogance, chauvinism, exceptionalism. I'm speaking in gross generalizations and abstractions, of course, and maybe I'm just projecting my own self-loathing as an American, but it really does feel that way to me, having spent a fair amount of time outside the US. There's a sense of something horribly shifting every time I come back, even to my rather privileged circumstances. I guess I'm really talking here about labor struggles, but to me that's basically inseparable from any other notion of life, since most of our lives are spent working (or otherwise facing the fallout of being unable or unwilling to do so). Sorry for this post, barney surf, etc.

This obviously resonates with me and while a lot of that may just be socio-cultural determinism, I think there is a lot of truth about what you are saying. The rural areas of France and southern Italy are excellent examples because they never embraced the purposive logic of industrial modernity in the same way as the United States or England so there actually exists a kind of pre-modern (or actually anti-modern) aura about those places that is, for me at least, the most romantic thing in the world.

Unfortunately, the French appear acquiescent to Macron's reforms. He is already succeeding in his efforts to privatize the rail industry and eliminate pensions for new hires and his legislation enjoys ~60% approval within the country. Commence the Silicon Valley-ization of the Loire Valley!
Cosa vogliamo?
Tutto!
Jabberwocky

Postby jalapeño ranch » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:33 pm

Autarch wrote:
jalapeño ranch wrote:Won’t that fuck up voting pretty bad? Glad I’m still in California.

Oh nice, let’s do this!
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:
jalapeño ranch

Postby saranclaps » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:37 pm

Autarch wrote:

More senators yes, not sure about the other.
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening
saranclaps

Postby delgriffith » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:44 pm

delgriffith

Postby Big Oil » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:49 pm

saranclaps wrote:
Autarch wrote:

Big Oil

Postby palmer eldritch » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:52 pm

instead they should merge montana with wyoming and the two dakotas together
palmer eldritch

Postby palmer eldritch » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:53 pm

do we need two dakotas? we're barely using them
palmer eldritch

Postby palmer eldritch » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:54 pm

and then make dc a state. ima fix federalism
palmer eldritch

Postby palmer eldritch » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:55 pm

add puerto rico and we don't even need to change the flag
palmer eldritch

Postby Tar Pit » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:55 pm

Big Oil wrote:hell yeah let's do this

40 million dagger
Tar Pit

Postby KALM » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:55 pm

important dentist wrote:
KALM wrote:6. the insane argument that's being made here is that because the individual mandate was only constitutional as an exercise of the federal government's taxing authority, and because the tax has now been eliminated, the individual mandate (still technically on the books) is now unconstitutional. never mind the fact that the justices who found the mandate unconstitutional only did so because the federal government compelled people to buy health insurance. and now the federal government is no longer compelling you to buy health insurance. which you would think would make it even more constitutional than it already was. (and remember, because of john roberts, it already was constitutional.)

the other part of this insane argument is that since a majority of the court may have held that if the individual mandate is unconstitutional, then the entire ACA is unconstitutional, well now the entire ACA is unconstitutional. never mind that you only declare an entire act unconstitutional this way if you're trying to read congress's mind re: whether the bill can survive without that problem provision, and here congress specifically found that this bill could survive without that provision given that it didn't get rid of the entire ACA when it eliminated the individual mandate's tax.

thanks for laying this out. i had a general sense of what was going on but sort of thought it would be less stupid. not sure why i thought that. i have a question related to this last part. is there much precedent for one party making a change to a law and then immediately challenging the constitutionality of the entire law based on the change that they made? obviously what has happened here is that republicans are trying to accomplish through the legal system what they couldn't get done through legislation, so it seems like this could/should easily be rejected on separation of powers grounds (among other things)

for what it's worth, lamar alexander issued this statement today

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/391975-gop-senator-dojs-obamacare-argument-as-far-fetched-as-any-ive-ever-heard

Alexander said it wasn't the intent to repeal protections for people with pre-existing conditions when it repealed the mandate penalty late last year.

“There’s no way Congress is going to repeal protections for people with pre-existing conditions who want to buy health insurance. The Justice Department argument in the Texas case is as far-fetched as any I’ve ever heard," Alexander said in a statement late Tuesday evening.

"Congress specifically repealed the individual mandate penalty, but I didn’t hear a single senator say that they also thought they were repealing protections for people with pre-existing conditions."
KALM

Postby saranclaps » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:56 pm

delgriffith wrote:
Was just telling someone yesterday about how he follows this anti-Semite on Twitter. https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=from%3A%40DiezNewAge%20jews&src=typd
saranclaps

Postby Autarch » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:59 pm

Big Oil wrote:
saranclaps wrote:
Autarch wrote:

if you put LA county in southern california I think it's a more solid 3 blue states.
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby Shalabi » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:03 am

Autarch wrote:
Big Oil wrote:
saranclaps wrote:
Autarch wrote:

if you put LA county in southern california I think it's a more solid 3 blue states.

it cuts off right at the Orange County line lol
Shalabi

Postby Shalabi » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:03 am

Shalabi

Postby Durham » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:08 am

I find it harder and harder to keep going about the daily duties and thinking about medium and long term plans while the family separation goes on unchecked and how it is only the beginning
Durham

Postby worrywort » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:46 am

If you're looking for an immediate step to take and have some money to spare:

Here's a good nonprofit organization to check out/donate to if you want to specifically help the "caravan" asylum-seekers: www.alotrolado.org

And the ACLU is currently fighting both family separation for asylum seekers https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/07/politics/family-separation-ruling/index.html and (along with a few other groups) the inclusion of a citizenship question on the 2020 census http://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/390988-aclu-joins-immigrant-groups-in-lawsuit-challenging-citizenship, in case you've been thinking of joining, renewing, or just making an extra donation.
worrywort

Postby Bad craziness » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:47 am

Tar Pit wrote:
Big Oil wrote:hell yeah let's do this

40 million dagger

I don't like this
Bad craziness

PreviousNext

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.