POTUS Trump Thread

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby identikit » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:18 am

delgriffith wrote:I try to avoid Richard Spencer stuff as much as possible but I love Gary Younge and I have no idea how he kept his composure during this:

Thanks for this. I wonder what more the broadcast at 10 on Thursday could possibly have?
Also zero clue how he kept it together, my fists started itching 20 seconds in.
identikit

Postby delgriffith » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:20 am

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:love waking up to tons of infuriating shit

This kinda immediately sent my mind to this:
delgriffith

Postby brittle » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:22 am

jewels wrote:is the extreme focus on Chicago an Obama thing?
A racist thing? There other cities with lots of black people that have higher murder rates.

all guns are illegal in chicago

but not in the surrounding areas so it's just a really bad faith thing to cite. but since it's not a lie, they'll cite it anyways. every time.
Last edited by brittle on Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brittle

Postby delgriffith » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:24 am

It is highly unorthodox for the CIA director to reach out to someone like Binney, a 74-year-old ex-government employee who rose to prominence as an NSA whistleblower wrongfully persecuted by the government, for help with fact-finding related to the theft of the DNC emails. It is particularly stunning that Pompeo would meet with Binney at Trump’s apparent urging, in what could be seen as an effort to discredit the U.S. intelligence community’s own assessment that an alleged Russian hack of the DNC servers was part of an effort to help Trump win the presidency.

It is possible Trump learned about Binney and his analysis by watching Fox News, where Binney has been a frequent guest, appearing at least 10 times since September 2016. In August, Binney appeared on Tucker Carlson’s Fox show to discuss his assessment that the narrative of Russia hacking the DNC during the 2016 campaign is untrue, stating that “many people are emotionally tied to this agenda, to tie the Russians to President Trump.” Binney said he is not sure how Trump found out about his analysis.

However the meeting came about, the fact that Pompeo was apparently willing to follow Trump’s direction and invite Binney to discuss his analysis has alarmed some current and former intelligence officials.

“This is crazy. You’ve got all these intelligence agencies saying the Russians did the hack. To deny that is like coming out with the theory that the Japanese didn’t bomb Pearl Harbor,” said one former CIA officer.

Binney, for his part, is happy that the meeting occurred and eager to help Pompeo and Trump get to the bottom of the DNC email theft because he believes the intelligence community has not told the truth about what happened.

“I was willing to meet Pompeo simply because it was clear to me the intelligence community wasn’t being honest here,” Binney said, referring to their assessment of the DNC email theft. “I am quite willing to help people who need the truth to find the truth and not simply have deceptive statements from the intelligence community.”

Man...
delgriffith

Postby Rumpleforeskin » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:26 am

A racist thing? There other cities with lots of black people that have higher murder rates.

and their talking point that since Chicago has strict gun laws and the murder total is so high,
that means gun laws never have worked anywhere ever and never will, the end.
Rumpleforeskin

Postby DasLofGang » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:29 am

brittle wrote:all guns are illegal in chicago

but not in the surrounding areas so it's just a really bad faith thing to cite. but since it's not a lie, they'll cite it anyways. every time.

it's been a completely outdated canard since the handgun ban was overturned several years ago and IL now has concealed carry to boot
This isn't really anything I think I like.
DasLofGang

Postby farmer » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:30 am

Why won't they just come out and say they think black people are inherently violent? What else could they mean by all their allusions?
fuuuuuccccck
farmer

Postby DasLofGang » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:32 am

back when that was true you could counter it by agreeing that banning guns in one spot surrounded by plenty of easily-accessed guns is ineffective, because they should be banned everywhere! but now it's just total bullshit like everything else that comes out of their mouths
DasLofGang

Postby DasLofGang » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:33 am

and also racist too sure why not
DasLofGang

Postby jewels » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:35 am

But Chicago doesn't even have particularly strong gun laws, and the ones they did have were eliminated by the Federal government and then gun deaths skyrocketed.
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?
jewels

Postby farmer » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:39 am

Chicago=gangs=gang violence=blackonblackcrime=black people are inherently violent =we need guns and police to keep them in line
fuuuuuccccck
farmer

Postby farmer » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:40 am

It doesn't have to be true if just has to feel true. Stats and facts are irrelevant because its not a discussion.
fuuuuuccccck
farmer

Postby delgriffith » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:55 am

Oh, huh!
delgriffith

Postby powderfinger » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:58 am

seems quite possible the administration has some kind of CIA-branded white paper arguing "actually, there was no collusion" in its back pocket to muddy the waters at an opportune time
Last edited by powderfinger on Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
powderfinger

Postby dusky » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:58 am

easy wrote:good morning!

Great. Here I am on the wrong side of the bed now.
dusky

Postby badhat » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:03 am

chicago also doesnt have particularly high per capita murder rate, itz just that it has a big population so its absolute number is very high.

but per capita its not even in the top twenty in the US

good luck explaining to people why that matters tho.

it also doesnt have much stricter laws than several other big cities in most regards
admittedly the metal thread has recently taken a hit
badhat

Postby delgriffith » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:03 am

powderfinger wrote:seems quite possible the administration has some kind of CIA-branded white paper arguing "actually, there was no collusion" in its back pocket to muddy the waters at an opportune time

The Intercept report makes this seem very likely, yeah.
delgriffith

Postby Sobieski » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:07 am

universe wrote:

The rate doesn't matter, because Chicago is so populous the raw numbers are more useful to alarmists.

I think it must be like a Fox News conservative meme talking point

I've talked to a couple people from the Midwest or the West and they just project this fear and danger on it. Big cities in general but maybe Chicago just cause it sits in the center of all that farmland and ruralness
Johann POOPLER wrote:Progress is the exploration of our own error
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby wuk » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:07 am

i swear to god if he mentions chicago one more fucking time
wuk

Postby trouble » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:08 am

Yes.
ImageImageImage
trouble
ride.

Postby Hal Jordan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:09 am

farmer wrote:Why won't they just come out and say they think black people are inherently violent? What else could they mean by all their allusions?

oh don't worry, they do.

trump retweet during the campaign:

incorrect stats (13% of white people were murdered by black people, not 81% for example!), retweeted from the account of a vowed white supremacist.

https://thinkprogress.org/donald-trump-tweets-fake-racist-and-wildly-inaccurate-murder-statistics-ca5859d2bb1/
Last edited by Hal Jordan on Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
well that was intense
Hal Jordan

Postby delgriffith » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:12 am

Here's emptywheel on the Page testimony:

Finally, there is perhaps the most important detail. Page admits he has spoken with the FBI this year 4-5 times (he appears to have been represented by a lawyer earlier this year, but he’s now draining his savings and representing himself). When asked if he has met with Mueller’s investigators, he notes what I did: his October 10 letter sort of pleading the Fifth was addressed, first and foremost, to Robert Mueller, which would put his testimony between the time George Papadopoulos pled guilty to false statements and the time it was unsealed — the time when Mueller was locking in the testimony of everyone implicated by Papadopoulos’ cooperation.

As I noted the other day, in the affidavit the FBI wrote explaining why they wanted to seal any notice of Papadopoulos’ plea deal, they described their plans to get the testimony of the people who had knowledge between Russians and the campaign.

All the people interviewed in what I’ll call the Papadopoulos lag — the time between when he pled guilty and the time they unsealed his plea — likely operated with the false confidence that the Mueller team would not know of conversations among campaign staffers. It appears that Page (like Sam Clovis, and, probably, JD Gordon) was interviewed in that period.
delgriffith

Postby delgriffith » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:28 am

A lot of tax shuffling happening today too:

delgriffith

Postby delgriffith » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:30 am

That Chris Collins quote is Image
delgriffith

Postby tgk » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:31 am

trouble wrote:

Yes.

Don't forget we shut his fucking rally down he'll never get over that.
tgk

Postby universe » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:32 am

tgk wrote:
trouble wrote:

Yes.

I'm pretty sure he see that as a win in retrospect tbh
universe
dad

Postby tgk » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:37 am

universe wrote:
tgk wrote:
trouble wrote:

Yes.

I'm pretty sure he see that as a win in retrospect tbh

Eh he never really mentions it or gloats about it so i dunno i think it mostly makes him angry
tgk

Postby universe » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:39 am

He talks incessantly about things that bother him tho!
universe
dad

Postby speakers » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:39 am

identikit wrote:
delgriffith wrote:I try to avoid Richard Spencer stuff as much as possible but I love Gary Younge and I have no idea how he kept his composure during this:

Thanks for this. I wonder what more the broadcast at 10 on Thursday could possibly have?
Also zero clue how he kept it together, my fists started itching 20 seconds in.

Next up:

a nutritionist talks to Cookie Monster about the health risks of high sugar diets
speakers

Postby palmer eldritch » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:41 am

delgriffith wrote:A lot of tax shuffling happening today too:

lol issa why even bother dude
palmer eldritch

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All