best older albums discovered in 2017

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby rilkean » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:12 pm

rilkean

Postby butter » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:26 pm

butter

Postby Grey Poupon » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:00 am

I didn't realise Giant Sand's early stuff was kinda cowpunk/paisley underground, basically a less hooky more energetic Green On Red or Dream Syndicate, a bit of unhinged gun club blues clang.. Black Francis probably took a few pointers, uh it's good whatever it is.. simple honest nervy tunes that are better listened to than discussed on internets

Valley Of Rain and Ballad Of A Thin Man are the albums that grabbed me (on a single reissue CD)

and I've been hammering the early Elton John a bit, when he sounded more akin to Faces or Mott The Hoople's bluesy rock or a Nilssonesque singer-songwriter than the more puffed up hitmaking machine he became

I mean he looks like a sullen boarder on Honky Chateau (plus it has fuckin rocket man which we all know is GOAT canon)

My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
Grey Poupon

Postby buriedinspace » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:41 am

Honky Chateau is awesome
I try to avoid enjoyable romps whenever I can. -Armond White
buriedinspace

Postby ripersnifle » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:14 am

Grey Poupon wrote:I mean he looks like a sullen boarder on Honky Chateau
lol
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet
ripersnifle wrote:that aesthetic was tight
worrywort wrote:it's called the temple grandin
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:18 am

holy shit "salvation" kills.
the production on those early 70s Elton LPs is so beautiful.
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet
ripersnifle

Postby pretty yeoman » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:24 am

gassy wrote:re: southpacific. song Parallel Lines is such a jam.

'Pintail Gate' is constructed to just perfectly live inside my brain wiring. Could probably listen to it on repeat for a long, long time.
pretty yeoman

Postby mascotte » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:32 pm

mascotte

Postby mascotte » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:04 pm

rilkean wrote:

Thanks, this is great!
mascotte

Postby Diamond Sun Rocket » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:08 pm

and can't find the whole album, but here's a song from CoCo - Strawberry (1990)

Diamond Sun Rocket

Postby mascotte » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:39 am

mascotte

Postby Cringey » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:47 am

My last 6 month + obsession with Prefab Sprout has led me to dig into other 80s British bands with a similar pop approach. I tried to get into Scritto Politti but that just seems way too 80s scholocky or so,thing. Anyway this week I thought I would give the Style Council a shot and it is all I have listened to this week.

Cringey

Postby galactagogue » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:14 am

rilkean wrote:

hell ya
vivian darkbloom wrote:Posting in this thread is like the cheaper version of getting drunk

I like it
galactagogue

Postby echo » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:06 pm

all from gentle dads/listen to this!

ImageImage
echo

Postby goofy's dead wife » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:09 pm

ya i love that caroline k too

getting into the main canon minimal wave records is one of those things that makes me feel jealous about people getting into for the first time like how i still get jealous everyone gets into fishmans or les rallisze for the first time
sisonfrisson wrote:rip to comrade lil peep.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
goofy's dead wife
Was Raised Christian

Location: MY FAVORITE ROLLERCOASTER NEXT TO THE BLUE WATER THE ONE LIMP DICK SISSIES RIDE

Postby goofy's dead wife » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:10 pm

i dont listen to cool bands anymore though i just listen nirvana
sisonfrisson wrote:rip to comrade lil peep.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
goofy's dead wife
Was Raised Christian

Location: MY FAVORITE ROLLERCOASTER NEXT TO THE BLUE WATER THE ONE LIMP DICK SISSIES RIDE

Postby mascotte » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:21 pm

drive that fast wrote:ya i love that caroline k too

getting into the main canon minimal wave records is one of those things that makes me feel jealous about people getting into for the first time like how i still get jealous everyone gets into fishmans or les rallisze for the first time

seriously, I nevever heard of Fishmans. Checking out this one now:

mascotte

Postby mascotte » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:25 pm

echo wrote:all from gentle dads/listen to this!

speaking of her
mascotte

Postby Flossed Out » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:36 pm

choom gang
Flossed Out

Postby ripersnifle » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:03 pm

echo wrote:all from gentle dads/listen to this!
8-)
ripersnifle

Postby gold and glass » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:29 pm

I knew about Vic Chesnutt when At The Cut came out because of the big PR cycle around it. I loved a couple of the songs but ultimately dismissed him because it seemed like his disability was being exploited as a gimmick and he came off as such a bitter prick in everything I saw him in (understandably so, I guess).
Cut to now, I decided to "give him another chance" after remembering how good "Flirted With You All My Life" was and I just discovered this massive body of incredible work and this amazing human being behind it all. I'm embarrassed of my earlier take on him. He was one of the great American songwriters from album one.
Of course, my interest in his music led me to watching the documentary about him (up on YouTube for free) and to buy and read Kristin Hersh's book about their working relationship and now I'm having this weird experience where I feel like I just found out my favorite songwriter of all time killed himself. I'm devastated by his death like six years after the fact. It's been a real whirlwind, maaaaaaan.

Anyway, way too much good stuff to post, but here's some:

fuck you and your corporation
gold and glass
ok

Postby saranclaps » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:56 am

Barney Wilen's Moshi is an insane amalgam of free jazz, African influences and psych rock. A bit :? of some French dude ethnomusicologist in Africa, but still very good. Apparently just reissued on vinyl.
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening
saranclaps

Postby mascotte » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:47 am

mascotte

Postby brent » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:43 pm

i've been jamming 'parsley sounds' by the band parsley sound a lot lately

i somehow missed this one when it first came out in the early 2000's and stumbled upon it while doing a label search for mo wax on spotify :ugeek:
apparently it was the last thing they ever released and it's a bit of an outlier in their catalog. sleepy 60's psyche influenced folk/pop with some cool production flourishes. riyl: olivia tremor control, benoit pioulard, beta band
brent

Postby speakers » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:32 pm

poast
speakers

Postby Buddy Glass » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:39 pm

Cringey wrote:Anyway this week I thought I would give the Style Council a shot and it is all I have listened to this week.

Oh yeah, someone posted this track in the original chillwave thread iirc and it's been in my rotation ever since. Fun video too

What became of her? She lived, as she liked to say, off the kindness of gentlemen. I assume she’s dead.
Buddy Glass

Postby mascotte » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:03 am

Holy fuck this Miles Davis album.

a review from RYM
I understand why people don't enjoy this, I really do. Solos are not the delicate, melodic masterpieces that Miles had indulged for the bulk of his career to this point. Even Bitches Brew and Tribute to Jack Johnson and Live/Evil had lengthy trumpet statements, not the fragments and whinnies he lays down here and throughout the recordings from the Pete Cosey band. And instead of the spacious, dynamic music he'd essayed for most of his career, here are several slices of dense, relentless, murky, funky, noisy music, all designed to go on ad infinitum. If you're one of those people who can't access this, I'm sorry, really and truly, but I love it and hope that in place of endless hard bop sessions, we get to hear more music like this made and reissued and whatnot. In front of an appreciative live audience we have two squawking saxophones, three psychedelic guitars, a drummer and a percussionist, electric bass, and Miles on organ more than trumpet (and the aforementioned fragments coming forth distorted from his (plugged in) horn when he deigns to use it). Not much for the jazz fan to grab on to here. But me, I'm all about an interesting groove, regardless of genre, and hearing this nonet work individual improvisations and variations off the ideas here is a riveting thing, drawing me back to focus this time on one player, next time on another, the time after that on the ensemble movements, and on and on with something new drawing itself into my consciousness with each successive listen. "Moja" (formerly side one of the album), gives free reign to the guitars while others add to and comment on their running speeches. "Wili" (side two) provides a piece similar to the first, yet distinguished by an altered groove and slightly different melodic material. "Tatu" (side three) is perhaps the funkiest single item in the Miles catalog, with a slower groove and more open space than the previous disc, though it would hardly be mistaken for the shimmering sparsity of In A Silent Way or anything. It also boasts a familiar melody, dropping in a bit of the superb "Calypso Frelimo" when the time seems right to do so. "Nne" (side four) also toys with known material in the oft-played "Ife," which is here delivered with the most spacious music anywhere on this disc, leading from the dense grooves that came before to a spare conclusion with only an uncredited rhythm box (probably played by Cosey) chattering away on stage. An excellent set of music, albeit one that a lot of people I know and respect have found difficult to access.
mascotte

Postby Cringey » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:10 am

Buddy Glass wrote:
Cringey wrote:Anyway this week I thought I would give the Style Council a shot and it is all I have listened to this week.

Oh yeah, someone posted this track in the original chillwave thread iirc and it's been in my rotation ever since. Fun video too

I have been basically blasting nothing but their greatest hits \ singles comps all week. I am amazed that they never made a bigger splash in North American given how massive some of their songs were.
Cringey

Postby Pris » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:12 am

Carpenters singles collections 8-)
Pris

Postby mascotte » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:09 am

thanks to HPN Non-Canon Album Poll thread:
mascotte

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All