Quitting Hipinion

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby JohnK » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:12 pm

Sometimes I need a break from the place. I'll read something on here and get all :Seinfeld.gif: and later realize I was just being a baby about what ever it was that annoyed me. It's usually just me feeling out of touch/reacting in an old crotchety way. Sometimes I need 3 days, 3 weeks, even 3 months to realize I'm being a baby, but I can't imagine ever leaving completely no matter how out of touch I may be get.
JohnK

Postby pana » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:13 pm

Berzelius Windrip wrote:there honestly has got to be something better to do than boredly making and reading all these dumb posts

driving sports cars. but you need $$$ for the cars/gas/tires/maintenance/tracks
pana

Postby wlad » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:15 pm

i would BOck d absolute hock out of Imagine Dragons...
wlad

Postby JohnK » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:17 pm

Yeah. If I had the time and money I'd surely rather spend all my time fishing on a boat or riding horses, but those things aren't necessarily cheap. And now Nathan only charges me $15/month to post here since I get the 10+ years discount.
JohnK

Postby Berzelius Windrip » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:18 pm

pana wrote:
Berzelius Windrip wrote:there honestly has got to be something better to do than boredly making and reading all these dumb posts

driving sports cars. but you need $$$ for the cars/gas/tires/maintenance/tracks

man im not sure when i last drove a car

its got to be ten years

i wanna learn how to draw but every time i sit down at the desk its just news, forum, forum, news, repeat
Berzelius Windrip

Postby Alice » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:19 pm

I go through times where I take extended posting breaks all the time. It's not that big of a deal. I'm usually still checking in 3 or 4 times a week even if I'm not posting
Alice

Postby trouble » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:23 pm

going to form a Suicide Squad of boarders who will as a service run people off the board who want to quit but find it hard to do.

i need a meme expert, a board history expert, and a person who does really solid owns
My new signature!
trouble

Postby antoine » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:24 pm

I guess it's kind of comforting that people care about this place, a place of ideas, even though we come from different economic/social situations, etc. There are rich and poor alike on the board. Many of us are able to board peacefully with other boarders.
trouble wrote:when you are gonna get married and shopping around
take a minute a think about the posts that were made by antoine
antoine

Postby antoine » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:24 pm

The Greatest Lesson Of All
trouble wrote:when you are gonna get married and shopping around
take a minute a think about the posts that were made by antoine
antoine

Postby pana » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:26 pm

trouble wrote:going to form a Suicide Squad of boarders who will as a service run people off the board who want to quit but find it hard to do.

i need a meme expert, a board history expert, and a person who does really solid owns

there's probably 1 person who is all 3. but then you're just a Suicide Duet
pana

Postby neuartillery » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:08 am

Mr. Random N. Classic wrote:
neuartillery wrote:I've taken a few summers off and I think I went a year or so without posting at one point.

i got so mad at you for that

I never knew you cared!
neuartillery

Postby Catullus » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:11 am

I quit for a couple months at a time a few times and I genuinely miss this stupid place.

I'd miss you Antoine, fwiw
opi wrote:like i don't think it's possible for catullus to be duplicitous, whereas pretty much every other poster at the time struck me as having one foot in shinra
Catullus
Our McGonagall

Postby Real Love » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

hey guys don't leave me i'll die
✳✳?✳✳
Real Love

Postby Flossed Out » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:33 am

choom gang
Flossed Out

Postby Kevin McCallister » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:50 am

I chuckled a few times tonight when thinking of Nathan as some Jim Jones figure.
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.
Kevin McCallister

Postby wintergreen » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:06 am

i've taken extended breaks several times, but i don't remember why exactly, or the outcome.
wintergreen

Postby Stuntman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:40 am

trouble wrote:i remember once on a videogame board someone with the named ZeldaLifer made this killer goodbye thread that was just a long list of ways he was too mature for the board and he only had like 200 posts. It was a riot.

This really could have been me.

When I first started boarding I was seriously in a different place. I had an office job that paid well with normal hours and lived in a much nicer apartment than I could afford now and had a pretty good social life. umryan would constantly send me links to threads here at Hipinion and I'd sort of skim through them and I'd reply "Who are these assholes?" and he'd be like "Oh they're just some people who have good opinions about music." And he kept on trying and trying to get me to register for like 4 years and I was never interested at all because I seriously thought everyone here was a sociopath. Like he sent me a thread from the last MK where everyone was just making fun of newly registered boarders' usernames and how dumb they were, so I asked him, "So you want me to register here with these assholes and I have to worry about making a really clever username that these people won't make fun of? I'm out."

I think I was just bored at work one day and he got me to register and it took badhat like a month to approve my account, at which point I forgot that I even signed up. In the time that it took me to make my first 200 insipid posts, like this one

Re: Kids can be so cruel: dumb things you were teased with
Stuntman wrote:I would draw during class, so I was teased about that.

I hated the board so much and was pretty close to making a "This place is not for me" thread.

Probably would have been pretty hard to bounce back from that.

Anyway,
Stuntman
AKA Ron

Postby Bartatua » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:51 am

I think everyone here was a sociopath
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby Rhodes » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:03 am

Bartatua wrote:I think everyone here was a sociopath

As I alluded to earlier, a big part of this latest arc of my boarding career has been about restoring goodwill.
Rhodes

Postby Berzelius Windrip » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:20 am

i stopped lurking a couple times in i think the late 00s because i couldnt stand what assholes you were being
Berzelius Windrip

Postby DRAGONS » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:40 am

it took me like a year to get my account approved and emailing about five different ppl then another six months to realise my approval was sent but buried in the depths of my emails
Image Image (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づImage Image
DRAGONS
(◠‿◠✿)(◠‿◠✿) kvlt (✿◠‿◠)(✿◠‿◠)

Location: its not a fashion statement, its a fucking death wish

Postby DRAGONS » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:40 am

hmppph!!! !!!!!!
DRAGONS

Postby separator » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:41 am

Dragons and I are both quitting at the end of the week
separator

Postby DRAGONS » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:49 am

it is what it is
DRAGONS

Postby Pope Laserblast IV » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:01 am

Del, I feel that post, but I'd posit to you that those of us who have worse demons to fight (i.e., most of us) oughtn't necessarily classify as a vice something that brings a lot of positivity and friendship and useful knowledge into our lives.

Boarding (and here I mean hpn, Twitter, Slack, whatever) hasn't stopped me from seeing the world. Being too depressed to get a passport has.

Boarding hasn't made me order way too much takeout and gain weight. Finding myself exhausted at the end of the work day, every day, has.

Boarding hasn't make me read less than I should or watch fewer movies. Wanting two-three beers every night to escape from real life has.

This is, I know, a ridiculous post, and I don't even mean it all that seriously because spending too much time on the Internet is of course its own malady and I don't want to diminish that. I suppose I'm just saying that in my own experience, whatever its downsides, Hipinion is a place where everybody knows your name, and that's nothing to sneeze at.

Unfortunately we are all sociopaths, but hey, everyone has to have their tribe.
Last edited by Pope Laserblast IV on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pope Laserblast IV

Postby Wilderness » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:02 am

remember when we had the last boardermash and some super-sensitive semi-lurker niche-thread (anime?) poster took his low ranking as meaning that everyone hated him and he wrote a heartbroken Goodbye, I'm Sorry for Failing You All post and then left forever.

That was brutal.
Wilderness

Postby pana » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:35 am

Wilderness wrote:remember when we had the last boardermash and some super-sensitive semi-lurker niche-thread (anime?) poster took his low ranking as meaning that everyone hated him and he wrote a heartbroken Goodbye, I'm Sorry for Failing You All post and then left forever.

That was brutal.

i don't know if it was a gimmick account and the person behind it is still around but yeah

glass_candle_grenade wrote:I don't know how many of you took notice of me, but I have been on hipinion since late 2006 (posting member since 2008). This board has shaped my humor and my taste in music like nothing else in my life. This board has come to define my outlook on the internet and showed me the endless potential that lies within the virtual communities of the 21st century. This board has slowly but steadily become a central, irreplaceable aspect of my young adult life. It has become a part of my identity, and it has been with me for all this time.

At this point you will most likely wonder why I only have 1055 posts when I am invested to this extent in the board. I think I'm a humble and introverted person, and I have awfully low self-esteem. I read the board almost everyday. I usually rethink my posts about 20 times before I hit the submit button, and it's a very painful process. I know I will never be a good boarder, but I try my best. So my goal for posting here was just to become a low-key, mid-tier boarder, who someday might be able to give something back to the community he loves so much. To be a net-positive.

However, this has not been an easy task for me. Early on, I decided to make a catch-all approach; just comment on everyday topics and be a bro. As I am not the bro-type, I just couldn't keep it up for long. Subsequently, I chose to limit my posts to topics which I was the most interested in: music, anime, photography, politics/news, literature, the board itself. When I realized that I probably wasn't making any progress, I decided to take a break from posting. I recently started to make a few posts again and all of them were about my biggest passion, music.

I have this picture in my head of the board as a whole as a sort of kafkaesque, Das Schloss-like entity, whose mysteries and secrets to good boarding where somewhere hidden inside its deepest chambers within. Yet I rarely found a door, nor was I ever handed a key. It is entirely my fault for not asking those for guidance whom I passed by along the way, but I didn't want to bother anyone.

Many boarders here have become something like family members to me. There are the strict fathers who rightfully criticize everything I do, put me in my place and tell me that Air Miami's me. me. me. (which I considered my favorite shoegaze album) does not belong in a shoegaze thread (Totally = gendo). There are the loving mothers (all female boarders = rei) whose warm presence I can feel yet who never really talk to me, and I have secretly developed feelings for them over the past few years. There are the playful brothers who love to crack a joke with me, who sometimes serve as a role model and show me new creative ways of boarding, who share my interests and yet somehow remain an enigmatic figure (i push miracle whips = kaworu). There are many others I could name, but to keep it relatively short I just want to thank every single one of you who ever made a post on this board and who ever read one of my posts.

Now, after almost 7 years, in light of my recent boardermash result (dropped from rank 369 to rank 798), I have come to the realization that I have failed them all. I do not know where exactly I went wrong or why so many people took offense from my posts and put me in the same tier as boarders like nzs, regs and verbal. I won't criticize anyone or harbor any bad feelings against those who voted against me. Even if you just voted against me because I don't have an avatar anymore, and that other boarder had a baguette as an avatar, and you just seem to like baguettes, I respect your decision.

I have always valued the free-for-all aspect of the board, and the people have spoken. Because I cannot live with myself being a malicious factor on the one board I love so much, I simply accept and decide to take action: I will quit the board.

Thank you so much for everything and goodbye,

glass_candle_grenade
pana

Postby Robo-Chachi » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:48 am

Sometimes I wonder how much better I'd be at my job if I didn't spend all my time on the board. But they keep giving me raising and having low expectations so there's nothing really forcing a change. I don't really spend much time reading the board at home.
Robo-Chachi

Postby Mr. Jugdish » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:51 am

pana wrote:
trouble wrote:going to form a Suicide Squad of boarders who will as a service run people off the board who want to quit but find it hard to do.

there's probably 1 person who is all 3. but then you're just a Suicide Duet

i'll be your huckleberry

"One last song...given 2 an angel's son..."
-LaJon Witherspoon from Sevendust
Mr. Jugdish

Postby Kwisatz Haderach » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:13 am

Done.
the skeleton is doing standup comedy
Kwisatz Haderach

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All