wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby . » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:51 pm

you talkin world wide web?
ride.

Postby Bernie » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:51 pm

Guy Incognito wrote:i tried to "quit" for a few months recently but i still lurked every day for "news" and then someone made a threat about historians so i asked for my account to be reinstated

not posting is hard

I did this for about 8 months where I would only read the potus thread and actively avoid everything else and didn't post at all. I think it was ultimately good for my well-being. Sometimes I feel like the board puts me in a bad place and I know when I should start posting again. The part is recognizing when I'm not well and should stop posting.
Bernie
Mayonnaise Boy

Postby broodstar » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:00 pm

i think i made a gruff deadpan post in the needle drop thread that everyone took more seriously than i intended and i don't know if that's the case but it was directed at you and if you took offense i sincerely apologize i am just a dumbass i'm trying to work on it
broodstar

Postby identikit » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:03 pm

nobody is allowed to quit. this is now my anchor to the "real world over there", the only online place where I don't go up the walls in 60 seconds flat.

I thought for a while hipinion has as many shitty boarders/opinions as any other place. and then I crashed into reality. it's a lot better than most other places. less hateful, less god damn stupid and probably, most importantly, less braindead racist and sexist than any other place I know and that includes social media with my own fucking family.
so yea I guess, being on here for years and knowing this board inside and out might feel like being stuck in place that is "hindering your growth" or something.
and then shitty nights and shitty flippant convos happen.
but if you want to interact online at all, I have yet to find a less horrendous place than this one right here.
Last edited by identikit on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
identikit

Postby antoine » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:03 pm

Bernie wrote:I think you're a really good person and feel like we're kindred souls antoine. I'm always sad that we don't interact more often.

<3
trouble wrote:when you are gonna get married and shopping around
take a minute a think about the posts that were made by antoine
antoine

Postby antoine » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:07 pm

identikit wrote:but if you want to interact online at all, I have yet to find a less horrendous place than this one right here.

yeah i mean that's the draw. everyone here for the most part is very intelligent and good with words and ideas in a way that i haven't really found anywhere else on the web. oth it can get kinda weird when there's clashes and board drama and whatnot. it becomes too familiar maybe and makes me feel weird.
antoine

Postby identikit » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:13 pm

I get that, haven't been on here long enough to feel the family drama aspect of it, but it's that weird feeling with another board and members I cannot seem to shake off for over a decade now.

and then you have moments where you think of what a boarder said or specifically what they said to you, and it feels very real and very hurtful. and then people you have known for years get into complete and utter shitfests amongst them and you log in, see it, and just feel bad.
last month I realized the same woman keeps haunting me with their god damn shit, and it actually pops up in my head when I'm not online. the same one, for 10 years, from thousands of miles away. and I can't think of a single thing an offline person in my life said to me in the past few years that pops up so often in my head as some of her lines. And then I keep wondering what the fuck is wrong with me, why do I seem incapable of shaking that one off. message boards end up being a weird, sometimes cosy, sometimes terrifying part of your life. For better and worse, I guess.
identikit

Postby fuckles » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:16 pm

Bernie wrote:
Guy Incognito wrote:i tried to "quit" for a few months recently but i still lurked every day for "news" and then someone made a threat about historians so i asked for my account to be reinstated

not posting is hard

I did this for about 8 months where I would only read the potus thread and actively avoid everything else and didn't post at all. I think it was ultimately good for my well-being. Sometimes I feel like the board puts me in a bad place and I know when I should start posting again. The part is recognizing when I'm not well and should stop posting.

it seems like only following the potus thread would be bad for mental health but you do you
Cyril Sneer wrote:INSANE post. I could literally read it for hours.
fuckles

Postby Bernie » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:20 pm

Nah reading the post in there def help me realize there re a lot more folks feeling the same way I do and are able to articulate it better than I am
Bernie
Mayonnaise Boy

Postby Bernie » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:21 pm

Also it goes along with the idea that this is a decent corner of the internet compared to other places i could read political commentary
Bernie
Mayonnaise Boy

Postby antoine » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:46 pm

identikit wrote:I get that, haven't been on here long enough to feel the family drama aspect of it, but it's that weird feeling with another board and members I cannot seem to shake off for over a decade now.

and then you have moments where you think of what a boarder said or specifically what they said to you, and it feels very real and very hurtful. and then people you have known for years get into complete and utter shitfests amongst them and you log in, see it, and just feel bad.
last month I realized the same woman keeps haunting me with their god damn shit, and it actually pops up in my head when I'm not online. the same one, for 10 years, from thousands of miles away. and I can't think of a single thing an offline person in my life said to me in the past few years that pops up so often in my head as some of her lines. And then I keep wondering what the fuck is wrong with me, why do I seem incapable of shaking that one off. message boards end up being a weird, sometimes cosy, sometimes terrifying part of your life. For better and worse, I guess.

agree w/ all of this
antoine

Postby trouble » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:43 am

sometimes you have to quit
before you can start to begin
GET LIVE, SAM
trouble
ride.

Postby larry the cable guy tooth fairy 28 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:58 am

antoine you know i love you bb

pm if you ever need to talk, or if you have any questions about my broken ass
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
larry the cable guy tooth fairy 28
smiling drinker

Postby larry the cable guy tooth fairy 28 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:58 am

antoine wrote:
identikit wrote:I get that, haven't been on here long enough to feel the family drama aspect of it, but it's that weird feeling with another board and members I cannot seem to shake off for over a decade now.

agree w/ all of this

yeah, this is real as hell
smiling drinker

Postby Kenny » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:42 am

To me the internet is about interaction and I'm old so I think in forums, and as someone who's "quit" hipinion several times there just isn't a forum out there that comes close to being as good as hipinion for a place to post and read posts.

Maybe it's because I'm a nerd in several ways at once instead of just wanting to only talk about videogames all the time or music all the time etc. but the only way I'd probably be able to quit hipinion would be to quit being on the internet as much and with my desk job I'm in for the long haul, probably. Well, baring several flare ups where I quit for a while in a huff
REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS Image

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:kenny, can't tell if you're joking or not
Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby Kwisatz Haderach » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:19 am

antoine wrote:I just wanna be a normal man who doesn't get his feelings hurt by a message board

I have definitely felt the same way. Hope whatever you do is best for you.
Kwisatz Haderach

Postby jewels » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:55 am

there was a time when the board was a legitimately bad influence on my life and I wanted to quit but could not. I took a 4 month break and was way too happy someone noticed I had stopped posting.

Now I think it's a net positive. Not like a big positive, but it's certainly not a concern.

love you.
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?
jewels

Postby Kwisatz Haderach » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:39 am

Fuck this board.
Kwisatz Haderach

Postby inanimate object...alive! » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:07 am

back around january-february, antoine single handedly kept the potus thread worth reading when every day was an unfolding disaster
inanimate object...alive!

Postby delgriffith » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:30 am

Great post, identikit. Antoine I hope you know how highly I think of you. I hope that comes across in my posts. If it doesn't, please know that I really care about you and think you're a great person and the board would be a worse place without you.

I've posted about my struggle to stay off here and my general internet addiction before, maybe even in this thread. At this moment in my life I can't see myself taking a break from here or Twitter anytime soon, unfortunately. Guy Incognito and Bernie described the pattern my breaks take pretty well: I don't post, find myself reading the board or Twitter as much as I would have, and even start writing out replies before reminding myself I'm supposed to take a break. Sometimes I like the feeling I get from showing self-restraint and reminding myself that the world doesn't need me to weigh in on every conversation. Like a lot of people who take breaks, I found myself searching for mentions of my name to see if anybody missed me. Mostly I just feel frustrated and silly.

The exceptions, as always, have been times where I was genuinely so consumed with something bigger that I got offline long enough to make a break worthwhile. The road trip I took this summer was one of those times. I didn't post here for most of the month of July, and I probably only tweeted a handful of times. I checked Twitter on my phone at times when I had cell phone service, but I didn't read the board very much. I gave up on keeping up with the POTUS thread, I felt fine about it. Still, at the end of it all I slipped back into posting and tweeting without much thought. When trouble had his Tobaldome tournament at the beginning of August, I thought it would be a good opportunity to give myself another out for an extended board hiatus. I hammed it up and said that if I lost in the final, Nathan would ban me. When I lost in the final, I took about 10 days off boarding and then got frustrated and came back.

Writing this out isn't therapeutic or anything, but it does make me wish I could have a healthier relationship with the board and the internet. I get a real dopamine rush out of making people laugh online, it's been that way since I first started posting on forums as a teenager. It's probably not going away anytime soon, but I am trying to find other things that give me a more satisfying rush. Over time, I figure I can reduce the time I spend online 5% at a time - with other things that give me some sense of satisfaction. Going cold turkey when I don't have something better to be doing seems to just make me more miserable. Submit post.
delgriffith

Postby delgriffith » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:31 am

Even now I'm embarrassed to know that because this thread was made in February, I probably made an almost identical post in here already. I may even have used the same 5% at a time analogy. It's a work in progress.
delgriffith

Postby identikit » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:41 am

I don't actively tweet but I started using various job accounts to create "news lists" and such about 3 years back. by this summer it was a constant flood of some 400 accounts. yes, interesting, it also drove me insane. I don't have that level of self-control to just NOT check in for 48 hours. What worked for 2 weeks now is that I scrambled passwords and have no access to my twitter news lists before I go through the steps to change passwords. which gives me an additional minute to check what I'm doing and if I even want to see this constant flood of misery. It's silly really, I feel like I have some sort of eating disorder, with reading, I need force and tactics to prevent me from eating. eating twitter until I feel sick.
identikit

Postby mascotte » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:16 am

This year I quit facebook, removed like 500 "friends", deleted the whole content on my wall. The board is my only connection to the outside world
mascotte

Postby Kenny » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:18 am

I've seriously considered quitting facebook and twitter until they stop being shitty about allowing far-right people a platform, ie. forever.
REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS Image

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:kenny, can't tell if you're joking or not
Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby easy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:19 am

here's a good joke that I came up with:

losing my hipinion!
easy
does it

Postby Berzelius Windrip » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:21 am

reading books makes me so much happier than reading articles and forums and i have 100 lying around and 600 saved on amazon. and every time i go outside, or sit down and tinker with something, my plants, drawing, just hand-copying some russian text because i like how my russian cursive looks, i feel so good. and then after ive done that for five minutes i go and lose 50 consecutive games of dungeon crawl because i just basically just blindly mash the buttons or check the news for the 120th time. gonna shut down dat computer for a bit now.
Berzelius Windrip

Postby larry the cable guy tooth fairy 28 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:24 am

easy wrote:here's a good joke that I came up with:

losing my hipinion!

that's it, i quit
smiling drinker

Postby aububs » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:26 am

I lived alone for 2 years while my wife worked overseas and I didn't have internet access

it was so great. I watched so many movies and read so many books and built models and made zines and just generally occupied myself with fulfilling pastimes

when my wife moved back home she wanted to get the internet and I'm fine with it, but I just waste time on internet bullshit. I'd love to get rid of it again
no buddy not really
aububs

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All