Three Billboards (McDonagh, McDormand, Rockwell, Harrelson)

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby saranclaps ultra mode 9000 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:36 am

I found it kind of gross but the bittersweetness of the ending landed a little next day
delgriffith wrote:Quick Google search reveals that I have no idea what I'm talking about.
saranclaps ultra mode 9000

Postby jalapeño ranch » Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:52 am

Do his contracts stipulate that his movies have to have the stupidest names possible?
Last edited by jalapeño ranch on Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby Rusty » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:28 am

I’m can’t get over the good press the new ones getting.

Thought it sucked ass.

Mean spirited and boring. I think it gets a pass because it’s charmingly Irish or something.

Rusty

Postby aububs » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:28 am

Never a good idea to watch this person's terrible movies
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby jefe górgory » Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:30 am

Oh dang I thought that movie was just made by some cool new Irish director not this guy
in the process of making 100k off serie a fan tokens by socios

jefe górgory

Postby digital friday » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:12 am

Wow that’s a giant post by me on the last page. That billboard movie pissed me off. Didn’t know the new Irish movie was the same director. No way lol.
are you not entertained?

digital friday

Postby aububs » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:29 am

Mcdonagh isn't Irish. I know nobody is necessarily saying he is...but just want to clarify that for anyone that needs it
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby mondrary » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:33 am

three billboards is one of my least favorite movies of all time but i thought this was goodish.
TradePascalSiakam Free Kyrie Irving wrote:Hell I tell chicks my middle name

mondrary

Postby delgriffith » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:33 am

not for me, this guy. new one was an improvement over Three Billboards (low bar) but its ceiling was "fine"

delgriffith

Postby Jeremy » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:52 am

I never saw the other one. Just too many billboards for me. Not interested in such superfluity.

Jeremy

Postby Honk For Dracula » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:53 am

I enjoyed the new one. had good pets

Honk For Dracula

Postby gauchebag » Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:57 am

i though this banshees movie was really good. maybe as i near age 37 i am entering my "dad" phase? i didn't really like N'bruges and haven't seen the billboards or the psychopaths. i'm not sure i want to. but something about the banshees just hit right

gauchebag

Postby jefe górgory » Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:39 pm

aububs wrote:Mcdonagh isn't Irish. I know nobody is necessarily saying he is...but just want to clarify that for anyone that needs it

Tbh Don Don. No redeeming qualities then…
in the process of making 100k off serie a fan tokens by socios

jefe górgory

Postby Sweet Gregory Pectin » Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:59 pm

it was really hard for me not to watch this as a treatise on war and its effects slowly eradicating humanity from people which made it feel as disposable as any other oscar bait film that comes out every year around this time

people far smarter than me are focusing on its existential bent on loneliness and self loathing and you know your boy Sweet Gregory Pectin is always ready to get into an argument about the irrelevancy of creator's intent in art

the subtext is there and whether mcdonagh intended it to be the main focus or not was really the only thing that has stuck with me as this film never really seemed to find itself

Sweet Gregory Pectin

Postby 3D Dog Avatar Guy » Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:43 pm

I always wondered why In Bruges got such effusive praise when I felt like another W Bush era crime/comedy but I chalked it up to people enjoying Farrell and Gleeson's report. Is this one a similar situation but just a new setting and circumstance?
Status: Bounced. Will return after playing TAIL CONCERTO for the PSX.

Stinky wrote:this shit is unreal. A classic moment in indie rock history.

3D Dog Avatar Guy

Postby antoine » Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:39 pm

just watched banshees. i loved it. not sure why this director gets so much hate here. three billboards and seven psychopaths were forgettable and kind of try hard, yeah. while this movie still does the wacky dry humor thing at times, it's way more restrained here. and gleeson and farrell are just so good. i think this is his best film. plus jenny. <3 :(

i dunno this just hit a vibe for me as an exploration of loneliness, it feels distinctly relevant rn...

antoine

Postby groupb » Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:02 pm

gets 4/5 fingers from me. maybe 4.5 even

groupb

Postby Ted Pikul » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:00 am

Banshees was great. The best movie about male friendship ive ever seen
evil olive wrote:Holy shit this is the most Ted Pikul post ever. Just replace your signature now.

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby warmjets » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:09 pm

Watched this tonight. And while I enjoyed it,

Sweet Gregory Pectin wrote:this film never really seemed to find itself

yup

warmjets

Postby sponto » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:40 pm

It wasn't as good as Crimes of the Future, Aftersun, or Tar, but it was a little better than The Fablemans.
sponto

Postby jalapeño ranch » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:32 am

I was weary but this good.

jalapeño ranch

Postby bort » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:02 am

I really enjoyed this. However at one point my wife got up and goes well that’s fucking stupid, donkeys can’t even throw upToggle Spoiler
big nipples , big life

bort

Postby jalapeño ranch » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:19 am

To be fair it didn’t work out for the donkey.Toggle Spoiler

jalapeño ranch

Postby Wrong Titus » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:30 am

I was a bit shocked how much I liked this (3 Billboards hurt my soul). Not familiar with his plays, but I think he really flowered as a filmmaker here. After seeing a couple recent movies which asserted their grimness by making everything grey, it was nice to see to see a movie look beautiful. Lovely colors/wardrobe/houses. Everything looked so nice.

Maybe it went a bit too far in the end, but from the opening shot of Farrell's dopey grin/haircut walking through town, I was won over. Wish I had a pub like that I could hang out in every night.

Wrong Titus

Postby groupb » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:33 pm

bort wrote:I really enjoyed this. However at one point my wife got up and goes well that’s fucking stupid, donkeys can’t even throw upToggle Spoiler

tell the horsegirl (i'm assuming she's not a donkeygirl) equines can regurgitate under great pressure, apparently
https://equusmagazine.com/horse-care/qa-horses-vomit-28006/
Toggle Spoiler

groupb

Postby groupb » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:35 pm

warmjets wrote:Watched this tonight. And while I enjoyed it,

Sweet Gregory Pectin wrote:this film never really seemed to find itself

yup

it does imho, sorry. what is it missing?

groupb

Postby unscrambled » Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:00 am

Wrong Titus wrote:I Lovely colors/wardrobe/houses. Everything looked so nice.

yeah why are we not talking about the fits - a few of farrell's sweater belt situations made me gasp.
as did the scenery.

thought movie was excellent. have not seen a single prior film of his lol. so i do not have that baggage. more movies about friendships and siblings and with no romantic through lines. as someone who has both felt too dull for friends but also feel like i need to drop some friends for being too dull, this hit deep.

idk if we needed the kid in the water at the endToggle Spoiler - unless it's some metaphor i'm missing.

unscrambled

Postby unscrambled » Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:01 am

while we have a new page, colin's eyebrows are truly out of control.
that Kerry Condon performance too.

unscrambled

Postby PROBLEM ATTIC » Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:44 am

I really liked Banshees until one of the scenes well into the final moments and then the cruelty felt real and claustrophobic. But the performances are really fantastic and it's an absolutely beautiful movie. I think the complaints are valid and being so charmingly irish goes a long way, but it's also fair to say the movie doesn't quibble with the notion that that same rustic charm is slowly killing most of the main characters.
お願いします、それ以外は
And did you know how much I love you

PROBLEM ATTIC
clown is my friend

Postby neely o'hara » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:49 am

this stood out to me compared to recent "smart" films like The Menu* because it is very much a distinct film object. "that's the movie about [x]" this feels like it could have been made at any time. the script is so tight, love love love a movie with a small specific set of characters. you don't need to see anything that happens prior to or after the events shown in the film- it's all there. which also ties into the idea of the ephemerality of niceness vs the permanence of art - now these guys are the men who burned a house down over a friendship - basically a Florida Man scenario. that is who they will remain in the "public" consciousness (gossip spread around town and maybe into the mainland as a story to tell in a pub).Toggle Spoiler

i wore a big wool sweater while watching this, 100% enhanced the experience

*only comparing them bc i watched them back to back

neely o'hara

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley