Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Catullus » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:50 am

opi wrote:like i don't think it's possible for catullus to be duplicitous, whereas pretty much every other poster at the time struck me as having one foot in shinra
Catullus
Our McGonagall

Postby mascotte » Sat May 12, 2018 3:37 pm

mascotte

Postby blab » Tue May 15, 2018 12:10 pm

blab

Postby mascotte » Thu May 17, 2018 11:27 am

mascotte

Postby mascotte » Mon May 28, 2018 6:26 pm

mascotte

Postby mascotte » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:56 am

Good take on how our understanding of depression is totally reductionisic and in result shaped by big pharma

https://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications/the-neuroscience-of-despair
mascotte

Postby RIXX » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:07 am

mascotte thank you for your posts in this thread. i always read every article u post and it's always great
RIXX

Postby jca » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:43 pm

jca

Postby mascotte » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:07 am

mascotte

Postby mascotte » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:40 pm

Nice try, Mr Zimbardo

The story goes that on August 16, 1971, a 22-year-old prisoner named Douglas Korpi started freaking out, demanding guards let him leave the Stanford Prison Experiment. Guards denied his request. But it didn’t really happen that way.

For Medium, Ben Blum interviews participants and examines documents to tell the truth about the world’s most famous psychological study, and explains why such revelations won’t keep the experiment from influencing popular thinking about human behavior. Philip Zimbardo, the Stanford psychology professor who put the experiment together, misrepresented details and settled on a set public narrative that conflicted with the facts. He groomed the fake prison guards to act “tough,” copied another experiment and manipulated results. Why does this matter? Because, as Blum puts it, the experiment made Zimbardo “the most prominent living American psychologist,” and the experiment achieved lasting “canonical status in intro psych classes around the country.” The SPE was an experiment alright, but not necessarily scientific. Just as Douglas Korpi was acting, so was a guard named Dave Eshelman.

https://longreads.com/2018/06/11/the-myth-of-the-stanford-prison-experiment/amp/
mascotte

Postby supersaturated » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:55 pm

supersaturated

Postby Fullscreen » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:34 pm

ooh, thanks for this.

going into it I'm inclined to think any controversy about natural/bio-d wines is stupid - You could make the same case that naturally fermenting wild ales are an affront to more rigidly controlled forms of modern brewing but, fuck that, right? There are no wrong answers here.

vintners are just gonna make the wine they want to make, customers are going to drink what they're into. personally, I can't stand those gigantic californian reds like caymus or the prisoner- they have basically no old world analogue, are impossible to pair with food, and are so dense and boozy as to be immune to oxidation. but nobody's wrong for liking then, however dumb I think it is to drop $75 on a bottle of whatever cough syrup robert parker is into this month.

anyway, can't wait to read!
doomedhuh wrote:only love can break your heart
Fullscreen

Postby deep blue meanies » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:13 am

deep blue meanies

Postby mascotte » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:34 pm

“So are you here to hear the truth?” asks Depp as Russell brings him a glass of vintage red wine. “It’s full of betrayal.”

We move to the dining room for a three-course meal of pad thai, duck and gingerbread with berries. Depp sits at the head of the table and motions toward some rolling papers and two equal piles of tobacco and hash, and asks if I mind. I don’t. He pauses for a second. “Well, let’s drink some wine first.”

This goes on for 72 hours.

Over the past 18 months, there has been little but bad news for Depp. In addition to the financial woes, there were reports he couldn’t remember his lines and had to have them fed to him through an earpiece. He had split from his longtime lawyer and agent. And he was alone. His tabloid-scarred divorce from actress Heard is complete, but not before there were persuasive allegations of physical abuse that Depp vehemently denies. Depp’s inner circle had begged him to not wed Heard or to at least obtain a prenup. Depp ignored his loved ones’ advice. And there were whispers that Depp’s recreational drug and alcohol use were crippling him.

During my London visit, Depp is alternately hilarious, sly and incoherent. The days begin after dark and run until first light. There is a scared, hunted look about him. Despite grand talks about hitting the town, we never leave the house. As Depp’s mind leads us down various rabbit holes, I often think of a line that he recited as the Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland: “Have I gone mad?”

I want to go home, but feel reluctant to leave. One of the most famous actors in the world is now smoking dope with a writer and his lawyer while his cook makes dinner and his bodyguards watch television. There is no one around him who isn’t getting paid.

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/features/johnny-depp-lawsuit-marriage-w521671
mascotte

Postby blackbetty » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:24 pm

Hey I'm looking for an article posted on hpn but I dont see it in this thread

it was a think piece about the value of humanities, reading, etc. I remember it introduced Nabokov's idea of "unreal estate of the mind", or building non material wealth :ugeek:

thanks
blackbetty

Postby mascotte » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:02 am

An interesting perspective on the current transformation of New York City

https://harpers.org/archive/2018/07/the-death-of-new-york-city-gentrification/
mascotte

Postby mascotte » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:42 am

The appearance of specific clinical terms to refer to either the state of intoxication or those who consume intoxicants, and their subsequent popularization outside of the medical sphere, is especially relevant: it marks a slow but steady appropriation of the matter by the medical profession, subtly transferring the question of addiction and addicts into the hands of physicians. In the earliest published medical literature, before 1850, references to a “trance state”, “drunkenness” and “substance poisoning” can be found, but some distinctly “medical” idioms began to emerge by mid-century and slowly colonized scientific articles and reports in the late 1860s. Terms ending in –ism, denoting a specific and systematic habit, and –mania(c) indicating obsession or compulsion, spread quickly in medical publications (Tracy & Acker, 33-55). It began with “alcoholism” [6], a word used to describe chronic alcohol intoxication and to separate “normal” drinkers from “pathological” drinkers, effectively identifying and differentiating acceptable and regular behavior (moderation, discipline) from vice (excess, loss of control) – the beginning of the rhetoric of addiction. This particular terminology was soon to be applied to narcotic consumption as well: new words such as opiomania, morphinomania, or the rarer narcomania were coined to classify new pathologies, subcategories of the larger concept of what most American physicians would soon refer to as “inebriety”. This term, by the 1890s, had acquired a markedly scientific connotation and the approval of most in the American medical community, before being gradually replaced by “addiction” at the turn of the century.

http://www.booksandideas.net/American-Psychotrope.html
mascotte

Postby mascotte » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:27 am

Super interesting read about Kremlin's interest in paranormal

In the late 1990s the Yeltsin administration made several half-hearted attempts to control the booming interest in the paranormal. In 1996 the Russian Ministry of Health issued an administrative order seeking to regulate psychotherapists and faith healers. Although this piece of legislation was repealed in 2007, at the time it made some waves. Shortly after its enactment, Chumak and Kashpirovsky were banned from TV and Maria Devi Christos was sentenced to four years in prison by a Kiev court. She was released on parole in 1997 and as of today is actively engaged in pro-Russian political agitation in Ukraine, describing herself as “a fighter against the Kiev Junta,” against “the reptiloids,” and against “Satan’s children” while labeling the European Union as “a noose for all Slavic People”.

But despite the hesitant efforts of the Yeltsin government to curb the paranormal fad in mid-1990s, according to some researchers this was exactly the time when it became unstoppable. Philosopher Valentina Yarskaya-Smirnova of the Saratov State Technical University and sociologist Pavel Romanov identify this time as the turning point where the paranormal became validated in the Russian mass consciousness and legitimized by the media with the tacit approval of the political establishment. The Commission on Pseudo-Science, a division of the Russian Academy of Science, upheld this view in its 1999 report which, among other things, warned of the “impeding takeover of the public discourse by organized pseudo-science.” But it wouldn’t be until Putin’s time when the Russian government would begin using the power of the mass belief in the occult to its full capacity.

Secret agent werewolves digging for oil: Occult imagery in the mass culture of Putin’s Russia

After Putin came to power in 2000, his government took a very different view on the subject of the occult from that of the ambivalent confusion of the Yeltsin administration. The occult was now allowed a prominent spot not only in mass media — including the state-sponsored TV — but also in popular political discourse. The ascent of Vladislav Surkov, the “grey cardinal” of Kremlin, contributed greatly to this shift.

Surkov, who was 35 by the time he moved to Kremlin, started his career in the early 1990s as Mikhail Khodorkovsky’s PR man, then became the head of PR at Channel One where he worked closely with the then Kremlin advisor Boris Berezovsky. “He personally curated what was allowed on to Russia’s television screens, and was seen as the architect of ‘post-truth politics’ where facts are relative,” the Guardian’s Shaun Walker wrote about Surkov in 2016.

With appointment of Surkov to the post of the deputy head of the presidential administration, the Russian media saw a sharp upsurge of entertainment shows and TV programs on the subjects of extrasensory perception, witchcraft, telepathy, fortune telling, astrology, faith healing, UFOs, and contact with the dead.

Prominent Russian photojournalist Ilya Varlmaamov reported visiting Surkov’s Kremlin office in his 2011 photo blog entry which showed framed photos of John Lennon and Che Guevara on Surkov’s book shelf next to Jasper Ridley’s biography of Mussolini and Martin Heidegger’s “What is Metaphysics?”

The mastermind behind the emergence of the youth nationalist movements such as Idushie Vmeste (“Walking Together”) and Nashi (“Ours!”), Surkov is also a self-confessed music fan known for socializing with Russia’s rock’n’roll beau monde. In 2003 he collaborated on an album titled “Peninsulas” with veteran rock star Vadim Samoilov. Surkov’s lyrics to one of the album’s songs, “Let Us Be Like Everyone Else,” evoke poignant apocalyptic imagery: “Our master is Lucifer, we know his style. For Christmas he sends us dust instead of snow. We walk among his endless herd. I will be like you. You will be like him. We will be like everyone else. … God will forgive himself and he will forgive him, and he will forgive another hundred thousand of Judases.”

https://medium.com/@alissa.ordabayeva/the-occult-prong-of-the-kremlins-propaganda-machine-b7a8675c0d48
mascotte

Postby MikeS » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:51 pm

Who’s Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf Scientist?

pretty crazy story about how this scientist studying wolves lost his job at Washington State University from outside political pressure. It also includes some of his findings with regards to Wolf management, and a story about how Washington State wiped out an entire pack over cattle killings.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/05/maga ... &smtyp=cur
MikeS

Postby MikeS » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:57 pm

oh and WSU wanted to build a new medical facility but was being pressured by state reps that they might not get the funding if they don't kill the study.
MikeS

Postby mascotte » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:26 am

Hundreds of U.S. prisons and ICE detention centers are built on toxic sites, and people inside are getting sick.

https://theoutline.com/post/5410/toxic-prisons-fayette-tacoma-contaminated
mascotte

Postby Sobieski » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:07 am

MikeS wrote:oh and WSU wanted to build a new medical facility but was being pressured by state reps that they might not get the funding if they don't kill the study.

there’s a lot of ranchers and farmers and stuff in Eastern Washington that really don’t like wolves I think
smoke less weed
get more sleep
always tip %20
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby mascotte » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:28 am

All the basic color terms in English are like red in that they similarly subdivide into descriptive color words mostly derived from things that are that particular shade. Green, for example, works this way. Chartreuse takes its name from a liqueur first made by Carthusian monks in the 18th century. And there is emerald, jade, lime, avocado, pistachio, mint, and olive. Hunter green takes its name, unsurprisingly, from a shade of green worn by hunters in 18th-century England. Hooker’s green takes its name from . . . No. It takes its name from William Hooker, a 19th-century botanical artist, who developed a pigment for painting certain dark green leaves. No one is quite sure about Kelly green, beyond an association with Ireland. Perhaps it is the imagined color of what leprechauns wear.

Orange, however, seems to be the only basic color word for which no other word exists in English. There is only orange, and the name comes from the fruit. Tangerine doesn’t really count. Its name also comes from a fruit, a variety of the orange, but it wasn’t until 1899 that “tangerine” appears in print as the name of a color—and it isn’t clear why we require a new word for it. This seems no less true for persimmon and for pumpkin. There is just orange. But there was no orange, at least before oranges came to Europe.

https://lithub.com/color-or-fruit-on-the-unlikely-etymology-of-orange/
mascotte

Postby Timothy » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:56 pm

https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-an-ex-cop-rigged-mcdonalds-monopoly-game-and-stole-millions
How an Ex-Cop Rigged McDonald’s Monopoly Game and Stole Millions
Jerome Jacobson and his network of mobsters, psychics, strip club owners, and drug traffickers won almost every prize for 12 years, until the FBI launched Operation ‘Final Answer.’
stump a dunce or debauch a dauphin
Timothy
ok

Postby murderhorn » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:20 am

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/josephbernstein/lane-davis-ralph-retort-seattle4truth-alt-right

Lane Davis was a far-right, pro-Trump media figure looking for his big break. Then he stabbed his father to death.

It astounded them that Lane had been serious all along. No one could really believe, they thought, in a Marxist plot to enforce pedophilia with antifa shock troops.

“He completely ruined his life with some stupid internet shit,” Ralph said. “He didn’t get the game.”

“I watch Alex Jones,” Nora told me. “To me, that’s entertainment. We don’t really think the frogs are gay. I don’t think the protein powder works. I never thought some people watch this stuff and are like, yes, this is hard-hitting journalism. I thought most of us could distinguish between entertainment and facts. I never really thought people were stupid enough to get caught up in this stuff.”

Ralph, who lost more than 75 pounds in jail, expressed to me before his release a desire to dial back the hyperbole and to exercise greater control over his site — to never let a person like Lane in his orbit again. Anyways, he said, more mainstream figures like Ben Shapiro and Jordan Peterson had harnessed the cultural energy of the 2016 alt-right and channeled it in politer directions. He knew he would have to find a new shtick.

But then in the months since his release, Ralph has turned much of his attention to his nightly Super Chat, a YouTube livestream with paid comments. It’s called the Killstream, and after a slow start, it’s now booming. In June, Ralph had Richard Spencer on as a guest. Meanwhile, WildGoose has in recent weeks appeared on a popular Swedish white nationalist stream advocating for victims of pit bull attacks, part of a campaign that others have used to paint minorities as predisposed to violence.

“You have to kill your empathy when you do this shit,” Ralph said.
murderhorn

Postby mascotte » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:53 am

Timothy wrote:https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-an-ex-cop-rigged-mcdonalds-monopoly-game-and-stole-millions
How an Ex-Cop Rigged McDonald’s Monopoly Game and Stole Millions
Jerome Jacobson and his network of mobsters, psychics, strip club owners, and drug traffickers won almost every prize for 12 years, until the FBI launched Operation ‘Final Answer.’

:shock:
mascotte

Postby goldsoundz » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:08 am

dude basically sold every monopoly grand prize for half a decade to one of his cronies

amazing
goldsoundz

Postby mascotte » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:28 am

I wanna read more about Joe Maggard mentioned in the above article

During an interview with The Guardian in 2014 of the documentary film Ronald, Maggard stated that he portrayed the Ronald McDonald character from 1995 to 2007, replacing Jack Depke. However, in a 2003 article by The Baltimore Sun, McDonald's said that Maggard was only a stand-in actor for one commercial shoot only in the mid 90s and stated that "he's defiantly not Ronald McDonald". In 1998, he was charged of carrying a weapon in the New Hanover County, N.C. and the following year he was convicted in making harassing telephone calls posing as Ronald. The judge ordered Maggard to take anger management classes.
mascotte

Postby mascotte » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:08 pm

This narrative by Nathaniel Rich is a work of history, addressing the 10-year period from 1979 to 1989: the decisive decade when humankind first came to a broad understanding of the causes and dangers of climate change. Complementing the text is a series of aerial photographs and videos, all shot over the past year by George Steinmetz. With support from the Pulitzer Center, this two-part article is based on 18 months of reporting and well over a hundred interviews. It tracks the efforts of a small group of American scientists, activists and politicians to raise the alarm and stave off catastrophe. It will come as a revelation to many readers — an agonizing revelation — to understand how thoroughly they grasped the problem and how close they came to solving it.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/08/01/magazine/climate-change-losing-earth.html
mascotte

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....