Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby delgriffith » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:35 am

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/09/04/reality-tvs-wildest-disaster

I set off to find the beach where the “Eden” community lived during the summer months, but soon got lost. Steep valleys of ferns led nowhere. The rain had stopped, but I was soaking. When I finally emerged onto the dunes, clouds hung on the hills like smoke. The only remains of the “Eden” camp were some old fire pits and more bones. A young buzzard hovered for a long time, and then sped away. I picked my way along the shore, falling once or twice in the seaweed, before I found a hole in the fence and clambered out. The first person I met was a woman in a blue anorak walking her dog. I asked if she knew what the enclosure was for. “Aye,” she said. “That reality show.” She cocked her ear to the silence of the forest. “Are they still in there?”
delgriffith

Postby Dalen » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:43 am

https://www.laphamsquarterly.org/fear/petrified-forest

The stockpiling of domestic fear for all seasons (the instrument of power that no self-respecting military empire can afford to leave home without) is the political alchemist’s trick of changing lead into gold, the work undertaken in the 1990s by the presidential campaigns pitching their tents and slogans on the frontiers of race and class. The noun American lost all value unless preceded by an adjective signifying authentic proof of existence as black American, gay American, white American, female American, Native American, rich American, poor American, dead American. For every benign “us” the candidates find a malignant “them”; for every neighboring “we” (no matter how eccentric or small in number) a distant and devouring “they.” The strategies of division sell newspapers and summon votes; and to the man who would be king, the popular hatred of government matters less than the atmosphere of resentment in which the people fear and distrust one another.
Dalen

Postby delgriffith » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:47 am

delgriffith wrote:http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/09/04/reality-tvs-wildest-disaster

I set off to find the beach where the “Eden” community lived during the summer months, but soon got lost. Steep valleys of ferns led nowhere. The rain had stopped, but I was soaking. When I finally emerged onto the dunes, clouds hung on the hills like smoke. The only remains of the “Eden” camp were some old fire pits and more bones. A young buzzard hovered for a long time, and then sped away. I picked my way along the shore, falling once or twice in the seaweed, before I found a hole in the fence and clambered out. The first person I met was a woman in a blue anorak walking her dog. I asked if she knew what the enclosure was for. “Aye,” she said. “That reality show.” She cocked her ear to the silence of the forest. “Are they still in there?”

Eden came to feel increasingly lawless. Wright struggled to integrate with the rest of the cast. “It was the most horrific thing I have ever lived through,” he told me. “I started getting called a cunt every single day.” He and the group’s carpenter, Raphael Meade, lived together. As the discipline of the show eroded, Wright took planks from the Eden fence to build furniture. One night, he broke into the crew’s electrical shed and stole a chair, which he turned into a toilet seat. “It became Anton versus production,” he told me. Wright befriended a man living in a cottage across the bay. He snuck out to get drunk, dodging the flashlights of the production team on his way back.

“In the autumn, they did nothing but drink, really,” Cameron said. One boozy afternoon ended in a physical confrontation between Wright and other members of the cast. A few days later, the group decided to vote on whether to expel him and Meade. “There were people fearful of a violent backlash from Anton,” said Moores, who slept with a hammer under his pillow. “He was unstable at that point.” When the two men were narrowly voted out, they pulled down their house and burned it.

This whole thing rules.
delgriffith

Postby blurst of times » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:34 pm

https://longreads.com/2017/08/24/fantasy-maps-game-of-thrones/

i thought this was pretty cool, and i'm not even much of a lotr/got fan
blurst of times
ride.

Postby mercenaries of slime » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:00 pm

http://www.calvertjournal.com/features/show/8881/dacha-dacha-shkurpela-russia

An essay on the ‘Russian cottage’ and its place in the country's imagination
mercenaries of slime

Postby ripersnifle » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:53 am

mascotte wrote:
I am scared of Facebook. The company’s ambition, its ruthlessness, and its lack of a moral compass scare me. It goes back to that moment of its creation, Zuckerberg at his keyboard after a few drinks creating a website to compare people’s appearance, not for any real reason other than that he was able to do it. That’s the crucial thing about Facebook, the main thing which isn’t understood about its motivation: it does things because it can. That’s why the impulse to growth has been so fundamental to the company, which is in many respects more like a virus than it is like a business. Grow and multiply and monetise. Why? There is no why. Because.

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v39/n16/john-lanchester/you-are-the-product
thanks!
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
Totally wrote:also to the really creepily obsessed kid frothing NON-US SPORTS GEAR IS A COMPLEXITY-SIGNALING DEVICE FOR AGEING HIPSTER ACOLYTES WHO DOWNLOAD MOANA: I have a lot of friends (and an apartment) in Geelong. Get a fuckin life man.
ripersnifle

Postby Smarmy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:24 pm

Seven Swans is still pretty fantastic though and I'm an atheist. sad.gif
Smarmy

Postby mascotte » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:30 am

Pretty grim read
http://www.cincinnati.com/pages/interactives/seven-days-of-heroin-epidemic-cincinnati/

Their bones look as if they might poke through their skin. Their eyes are sunken, their hair a tangled mess. Some are unsteady on their feet. Others scratch at sores on their arms.

A few lean on the table in front of the judge as if it is the only thing holding them up.

“This is a heroin case?” the judge asks.

This morning, as on most mornings, one in four felony cases on this Hamilton County court docket is directly connected to heroin.

There’s a 70-year-old Army veteran who stashed a bag of syringes in a basement crawl space. A Taylor Mill woman who tried to hide needles in her vagina after shooting up. A St. Bernard woman who overdosed when a friend injected her with heroin.

The woman from St. Bernard looks confused, as if she’s unsure how she got here. She was on the floor of her friend’s house, barely breathing, less than 12 hours ago.

Now she’s standing before the judge, eyes sunken and hair tangled, leaning hard against the table.
mascotte

Postby mascotte » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:20 am

mascotte

Postby mascotte » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:46 am

In the past, buying clean water had been a necessity for the rich (the poor simply endured centuries of bad drinking water, and often died from the experience). Now it was freely available to all. Why would you continue to spend money on something that now came, miraculously, out of a tap in your kitchen?

The answer arrived in 1977, in the form of what must be one of history’s greatest pieces of television advertising narration. “Deep below the plains of southern France,” rumbled Orson Welles in a voice that sounded as if it were bubbling up from some unreachable subterranean cave, “in a mysterious process begun millions of years ago, Nature herself adds life to the icy waters of a single spring: Perrier.” As viewers watched the water descend into a glass, and admired the glistening green bottle, marketing history was made. The advert was part of a $5m campaign across America – the largest ever for a bottled water – and proved a major success. From 1975 to 1978, Perrier sales in the US increased from 2.5m bottles to more than 75m bottles.

The Perrier triumph was part of “a perfect confluence”, Salzman told me, of a sudden craze for aerobics in the US, prompted, in part, by Jane Fonda releasing her first exercise video – Jane Fonda’s Workout, the highest-selling video of all time – in 1982. There was a new drive not just to be healthy, but to be seen to be healthy. In 1985, Time magazine noted that “water snobbery has replaced wine snobbery as the latest noon-hour recreation. People order their eau by brand name, as they once did Scotch.”

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/oct/06/liquid-assets-how--business-bottled-water-went-mad
mascotte

Postby mascotte » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:18 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/09/16/health/brazil-obesity-nestle.html

For a growing number of nutritionists, the obesity epidemic is inextricably linked to the sales of packaged foods, which grew 25 percent worldwide from 2011 to 2016, compared with 10 percent in the United States, according to Euromonitor, a market research firm. An even starker shift took place with carbonated soft drinks; sales in Latin America have doubled since 2000, overtaking sales in North America in 2013, the World Health Organization reported.

The same trends are mirrored with fast food, which grew 30 percent worldwide from 2011 to 2016, compared with 21 percent in the United States, according to Euromonitor. Take, for example, Domino’s Pizza, which in 2016 added 1,281 stores — one “every seven hours,” noted its annual report — all but 171 of them overseas.
mascotte

Postby Berzelius Windrip » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:47 pm

oh shit

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/10/maga ... right.html?

over the last ten years this dude, a bookish ex-officer who lives in an old manor house in the rural east with blonde wife and five kids and raises goats and runs a publishing house out of his barn, has gone from some obscure weirdo to probably the key nonpolitician in the german new right. every major newspaper has done several profiles of him now where they send some shlub out to the manor to write up their impressions. its a bit of a genre at this point. this is the first english-language one. wacky shit.
Berzelius Windrip

Postby Berzelius Windrip » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:23 pm

https://interactives.stuff.co.nz/2017/1 ... ll-us-all/

Locals described the wave as a tsunami, but tidal records later proved them wrong. It was a normal wave on a particularly strong king tide, just enough to leap over one of the atoll's highest seawalls and drown part of the island's only hospital.

The water shoved beds against the walls. Women who had just given birth evacuated while clutching their newborns to their chests, wading through knee-deep saltwater, some still attached to IVs.
Berzelius Windrip

Postby blurst of times » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:38 pm

i enjoyed this, and now i want to read the book it's excerpted from, so thank u
blurst of times
ride.

Postby NegativeCapability » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:49 pm

mascotte wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/09/16/health/brazil-obesity-nestle.html

For a growing number of nutritionists, the obesity epidemic is inextricably linked to the sales of packaged foods, which grew 25 percent worldwide from 2011 to 2016, compared with 10 percent in the United States, according to Euromonitor, a market research firm. An even starker shift took place with carbonated soft drinks; sales in Latin America have doubled since 2000, overtaking sales in North America in 2013, the World Health Organization reported.

The same trends are mirrored with fast food, which grew 30 percent worldwide from 2011 to 2016, compared with 21 percent in the United States, according to Euromonitor. Take, for example, Domino’s Pizza, which in 2016 added 1,281 stores — one “every seven hours,” noted its annual report — all but 171 of them overseas.

Oh shit I saw a doc about this just recently that featured some of the folks from those pictures. Awful stuff. Nestle is just fucking evil, man.
Greta Van Fleet
NegativeCapability

Location: earth rocking in undisclosed location in filthy Europe

Postby ouroboros » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:01 pm

ouroboros

Postby ripersnifle » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:10 am

https://www.fastcompany.com/3065928/sleepopolis-casper-bloggers-lawsuits-underside-of-the-mattress-wars
really enjoying this piece on online mattress startups and affiliate marketing programs
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
Totally wrote:also to the really creepily obsessed kid frothing NON-US SPORTS GEAR IS A COMPLEXITY-SIGNALING DEVICE FOR AGEING HIPSTER ACOLYTES WHO DOWNLOAD MOANA: I have a lot of friends (and an apartment) in Geelong. Get a fuckin life man.
ripersnifle

Postby mascotte » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:13 am

An xpost with Twin Peaks thread

I often wonder if Lynch is the era’s most original artist, or at least the creator of its most haunting images—the severed ear in Blue Velvet, the Red Room in Twin Peaks, the Mystery Man in Lost Highway—but his works feel too schlocky, seedy, tearful, too male, too white for me to want to say this often in conversation. His cinema is disreputably baroque, brimming with meaning that it seems to disavow. He’s of the same generation as Terrence Malick, Francis Ford Coppola, and Martin Scorsese, but where they now seem historical, Lynch still has the fragility of the contemporary. The greatness of his art seems directly linked to the kitsch of his materials, all the B-movie unheimlich maneuvers: doppelgängers, prosthetics, recurring numbers, dream sequences, animated corpses. And this, I think, is an enigma worth pursuing.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2017/11/09/twin-peaks-small-town-noir/
mascotte

Postby Fullscreen » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:20 pm

From the Atlantic today, attempting to diagnose the plague of cyprian in 3rd century rome.
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/11/solving-the-mystery-of-an-ancient-roman-plague/543528/
doomedhuh wrote:only love can break your heart
Fullscreen

Postby ripersnifle » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:37 pm

ripersnifle

Postby mascotte » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:12 pm

I think there are a lot of myths about schizophrenia. What I most wish the public knew is that, at bottom, we are really just like you: we want, in the words of Sigmund Freud, “to love and to work.” There are myths out there that we can’t do this, but they are just that: myths. Mental health professionals should stop immediately telling patient to drastically lower their expectations. With proper resources and proper care, people can live up to their potential. Finally, it is a myth that people with schizophrenia are more dangerous than the general public. The people really to fear are substance abusers, a diagnosis far more highly correlated with violence than mental illness.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/diary-of-a-high-function/
mascotte

Postby goldsoundz » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:39 pm

goldsoundz

Postby hazel » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:09 pm

goldsoundz wrote:really liked this

https://magazine.atavist.com/promethea- ... us-montana

Holy cow
hazel

Postby trope » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:55 pm

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2017/11/paying-for-fake-friends-and-family/545060/
In Japan, you can pay an actor to impersonate your relative, spouse, coworker, or any kind of acquaintance.

This starts out all like lol Japan, of course you can pay for someone to pretend to be your kid's dad for parent-teacher day. But:

Morin: And this is ongoing?

Yuichi: Yes, I’ve been seeing her for eight years. She just graduated high school.

Morin: Does she understand that you’re not her real father?

Yuichi: No, the mother hasn’t told her.

Morin: How do you think she would feel if she discovered the truth?

Yuichi: I think she would be shocked. If the client never reveals the truth, I must continue the role indefinitely. If the daughter gets married, I have to act as a father in that wedding, and then I have to be the grandfather. So, I always ask every client, “Are you prepared to sustain this lie?” It’s the most significant problem our company has.

fuuuuuuuck
trope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhZTNgAs4Fc

Postby wintergreen » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:20 am

hazel wrote:

Holy cow

everyone should read this.
wintergreen

Postby Timothy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:31 am

trope wrote:https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2017/11/paying-for-fake-friends-and-family/545060/
In Japan, you can pay an actor to impersonate your relative, spouse, coworker, or any kind of acquaintance.

This starts out all like lol Japan, of course you can pay for someone to pretend to be your kid's dad for parent-teacher day. But:

Morin: And this is ongoing?

Yuichi: Yes, I’ve been seeing her for eight years. She just graduated high school.

Morin: Does she understand that you’re not her real father?

Yuichi: No, the mother hasn’t told her.

Morin: How do you think she would feel if she discovered the truth?

Yuichi: I think she would be shocked. If the client never reveals the truth, I must continue the role indefinitely. If the daughter gets married, I have to act as a father in that wedding, and then I have to be the grandfather. So, I always ask every client, “Are you prepared to sustain this lie?” It’s the most significant problem our company has.

fuuuuuuuck

this is the wildest thing i've read about in a long time
stump a dunce or debauch a dauphin
Timothy
ok

Postby Catullus » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:38 pm

opi wrote:like i don't think it's possible for catullus to be duplicitous, whereas pretty much every other poster at the time struck me as having one foot in shinra
Catullus
Our McGonagall

PreviousNext

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.