Finally Watching [Nostalgia Movies]

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby Merciel » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:53 pm

In this thread, SVC and I will watch movies that kick one or the other of us in the nostalgia bone.

Childhood, tween years, horrible awkward adolescence: all fair game. Most everything will probably be from the '80s and '90s (and early 2000s because SVC is a goddamn whippersnapper) but there will also be random other older movies for which we have some degree of nostalgia because our parents made us watch them or whatever.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby Merciel » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:56 pm

The Virgin Suicides (2000)

"SHE ATE THREE PIECES!!"

This might be the most quintessentially SVC movie I've ever seen, although I'd have to rewatch Almost Famous to be sure. It's pretty close, though. Top three for sure.

I'd never seen it before. I knew SVC liked it, but I never wanted to watch it myself, because "virgin suicides" sounds like such a downer topic, and any other way you try to summarize this movie still doesn't sound terribly appealing, because it's not really about anything, plot- or character-wise. Neither of those things is remotely the point.

The point is the mood: hazy, nostalgic, achingly adolescent. It really gets the awkward teenage romantic yearning vibe down: those magic years when dopey pop songs actually hit you straight in the heart, and swigging room-temperature peach schnapps is a total bad boy move, and you really can spend entire weeks obsessing over an ambiguous look from a classmate you barely know. Also, "have you ever heard of Yale?" is a thing that comes out of your mouth and that you will cringe about for the rest of your miserable life.

The weird heightened/distorted colors are also (in my head) an SVC movie thing. He has really strong associations with seasons and random memories and this movie put that all on screen and sometimes it felt like I was actually seeing into his brain. Or my imagined version of it. Whatever.

The score by Air is pretty perfect. SVC likes to play it while driving so I'd heard it three or four times before I ever saw the movie. I like the movie version better because the hurricane intro is spoken in a less annoying voice.

Kirsten Dunst is actually gorgeous in this.

8.5/10
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby Spoilt Victorian Child » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:55 pm

The scene where Peter Sisten has to use Cecilia's bathroom and gets lost in all the feminine arcana is probably the most personally relevant thing I've seen in a movie.

Overall I don't think I'd call it a great movie. The narration is generally a liability, the pacing is fucked for like the first thirty minutes, and a lot of the dialogue falls flat. Still it reaches parts of my subconscious that nothing else really gets to. In particular I think it does a great job of capturing the look and feel of a memory, the way even the worst parts of the past are more comforting than the present. (And of course this makes for a very soothing viewing experience.)

Also I can't think of an example of the female gaze to rival this one:

Spoilt Victorian Child
ok

Postby aububs » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:43 pm

Spoilt Victorian Child wrote:Also I can't think of an example of the female gaze to rival this one:

no buddy not really
aububs

Postby Spoilt Victorian Child » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:53 pm

That's a weird shower in several respects.
Spoilt Victorian Child
ok

Postby Spoilt Victorian Child » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:54 pm

Really weak dismount though.
Spoilt Victorian Child
ok

Postby Merciel » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:50 pm

I still can't figure out how a high-school math teacher was supposed to be able to afford a house in that development on a single salary.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby Merciel » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:35 am

Clueless (1995)

It's weird watching this movie in the middle of doing a poverty-research sociology spree. I think ultrarich nitwits were probably funnier during the economic boom of the late '90s than they are now, but that might just be based on my current readings.

Accidents of context aside, this movie holds up pretty well. It was one of the first movies I watched after moving back to the States in ninth grade, after we'd been living overseas for years, and I remember thinking at the time that I should try to glean whatever clues I could about American high school culture from this film.

There are actually a whole lot! Clueless really is a time capsule of mid-'90s fashion: schoolgirls in plaid skirt suits, translucent layers over crop tops, vague S&M allusions, tattoos and facial piercings moving out of punk into suburbia, and of course the rainbow tie-dye and beads-on-hemp wonderland of high-school male fashion.

Plus the music selection is A+ This Was the '90s. SVC cracked up when Fake Plastic Trees made its cameo on the radio.

Line for line, this is some of the most efficient comedy movie writing I've encountered in a while. The laughs don't all hit, but the hits:duds:supporting dialogue ratio is solid.

8/10
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby Merciel » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:39 am

Half a point on that score is for Cher's lunch meat storage situation, btw.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby Jeremy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:00 am

Is Clueless the one with all the Nick Lowe?
Jeremy

Postby Merciel » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:06 am

I don't think so. I was dead certain that "Cruel to be Kind" was on this, but then I checked Wikipedia and it's not listed on the soundtrack, so I dunno.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby pana » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:15 am

Jeremy wrote:Is Clueless the one with all the Nick Lowe?

is any movie "the one with all the Nick Lowe"?
pana

Postby Spoilt Victorian Child » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:16 am

That's 10 Things I Hate About You, which I remember not because I've seen it, but because we've had this conversation before.
Spoilt Victorian Child
ok

Postby Merciel » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:18 am

oh right

how do I get those two dumb movies conflated when I just watched one of them last night

anyway, 10 Things needs to go on the list too
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby forest design » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:56 pm

What's the list look like so far? Is it only movies you've seen before? I just saw The Thing Called Love for the first time and it'd sorta fit the bill. Dogfight, too. (Been on a River Phoenix kick.)
forest design

Postby Merciel » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:05 pm

For now it's movies that one or the other of us has seen at some point. We might expand the list later.

I don't have a formal list but here are some of the things:

-- Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH
-- every major Disney movie up through Lion King
-- Terminator (1 and 2)
-- 10 Things I Hate About You
-- the Hobbit movie
-- Almost Famous
-- Home Alone
-- Pretty Woman
-- Batman Returns
-- at least the first Bryan Singer X-Men movie, dunno if we'll do the others

edit: also Romeo + Juliet and maybe Forrest Gump depending on whether I think I can sit through a hatewatch of that anytime soon (probably not)
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby Spoilt Victorian Child » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:58 am

My selections are going to be a lot more painful than that.
Spoilt Victorian Child
ok

Postby Spoilt Victorian Child » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:00 am

Maybe not "American Beauty" painful but... maybe that painful, even.
Spoilt Victorian Child
ok

Postby chairkicker » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:26 pm

i think in the course of this you'll find that t1 and t2 aren't nostalgia movies but eternal movies
chairkicker

Postby universe » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:32 pm

It's weird that Clueless and 10TIHAY are only four years apart because to me they feel like they should be 100 years apart, but I guess in a human development sense, the difference between ages 12 to 16 is about a century.
universe
dad

Postby goofy's dead wife » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:34 pm

i love these threads. posting for view your posts.

looking forward to the rankin bass hobbit.
steakspoon wrote:I feel like a real fucking idiot right now

emiko wrote:Even if you enjoy a rock song in 2017 you just have to delete it and put on Nicki Minaj instead because the personal is political.
goofy's dead wife
little trouble girl

Location: MY FAVORITE ROLLERCOASTER NEXT TO THE BLUE WATER THE ONE LIMP DICK SISSIES RIDE

Postby Merciel » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:33 am

Rushmore (1998)

nope

0/10
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:35 am

whoa, what the fuck
furrowed brow

Postby Merciel » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:36 am

I made it to 29:54 in this movie, which is 29 minutes longer than I should have spent watching it.

You know we live in a country where hundreds of thousands of people live on less than $2 a day, and yet enough people paid to see this thing that it made over $17 million in ticket sales, and furthermore launched Wes Anderson's career so he could make even more of these things.

How is that possible. Why was that allowed to happen. Why.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:38 am

Are there really people in America who are that poor?
furrowed brow

Postby Merciel » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:39 am

furrowed brow wrote:whoa, what the fuck

I don't think it should come as a great surprise to anybody that I'd have a severe allergy to Wes Anderson.

Usually I can find at least one thing I like in a movie but nope. This was a movie that was absolutely excellently superlative at being a thing I did not want to look at on any level.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby Merciel » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:40 am

furrowed brow wrote:Are there really people in America who are that poor?

yes, lots, I'm reading a whole book about it right now (and will probably make a thread to crosspost my sociology readings in later this week)

turns out a lot of them actually live out by Beave

anyway, their lives are extremely bad and depressing, but at least they don't have to worry about seeing Wes Anderson movies
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:57 am

Merciel wrote:
furrowed brow wrote:whoa, what the fuck

I don't think it should come as a great surprise to anybody that I'd have a severe allergy to Wes Anderson.

Usually I can find at least one thing I like in a movie but nope. This was a movie that was absolutely excellently superlative at being a thing I did not want to look at on any level.

I guess I also can't imagine anyone having less sympathy for, or being less likely to find at all endearing, the two baby-man protagonists of the film than you. So, fair enough.

Edit: And, that book looks interesting. Thanks
Last edited by furrowed brow on Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
furrowed brow

Postby Viola Swamp » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:00 am

My favorite moment in all of film

Viola Swamp

Postby delgriffith » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:15 am

Rushmore is good.
delgriffith

Next

Return to Free-For-All