Soccer 2017–18: 1,695 Days Since Last Man Utd Title

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby iambic » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:32 pm

basically they're trying to emulate how dysfunctional laddish English locker rooms behave
iambic

Postby freshweed » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:35 pm

We talkin' a touch of the tuch in here?
freshweed

Postby surly » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:33 pm

Big sam 2020
lordofdiapers wrote:damn it Greedo will forever fuck that word for me
surly
the insult bastard

Postby bloo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:44 pm

fury wrote:I know we all love club soccer and know it's the higher level but to dismiss world cups and euros and the like is silly. It's why I grew to love soccer

who said anything about the euros!
bloo

Postby Tom Cruise » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:48 pm

We already had the last good Euros didn't we. Just two World Cups to go!
katy perry pissing all over my diamond-encrusted crown as I sentence another peon to death
Tom Cruise

Postby dimetrodons 'r' us » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:49 pm

Also who is even coming close to "dismissing" international competitions?
For one, I don't want to be known as the guy who randomly goes around and fixes people's computers. Even though I do that.
dimetrodons 'r' us

Postby Tom Cruise » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:49 pm

Or I guess maybe 1/0 considering Qatar and Russia
katy perry pissing all over my diamond-encrusted crown as I sentence another peon to death
Tom Cruise

Postby delgriffith » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:49 pm

Me.
delgriffith

Postby dimetrodons 'r' us » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:56 pm

delgriffith wrote:Me.

you curmudgeon you
For one, I don't want to be known as the guy who randomly goes around and fixes people's computers. Even though I do that.
dimetrodons 'r' us

Postby iambic » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:05 pm

international competitions are very weird and very fun, but I'm sort of with del
iambic

Postby Tom Cruise » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:07 pm

International competitions (well, the World Cup and Euros) are better than any club competition.
Tom Cruise

Postby ecto » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:10 pm

suffering through a domestic league season is one of the stressful and inhumane things you can do as a sports fan and i gleefully look forward to it every year
I'm 15 and want to be a part of this friend now. What can I do? (self.LazerBlade)
submitted 3 minutes ago by LazerBlade_Teen
ecto

Postby antoine » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:12 pm

World cups are awesome. The group stages anyway. If I were in europe id like the club leagues a lot more but I'm not and I'm not putting all that effort in to making up the time difference for something that's not in my DNA. Hats off to those who can. Also del and iambic you were raised in that domestic league culture and I think it makes a difference. All I knew in my formative years was usmnt/wc/mls and general awareness of European football culture and its dominance, but I never followed it closely. I'm aware the levels of play are miles apart in north america and europe/south america but I'm a stubborn American dumbass in a lot of ways.
trouble wrote:when you are gonna get married and shopping around
take a minute a think about the posts that were made by antoine
antoine

Postby ecto » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:14 pm

to be clear i am extremely bummed the USMNT missed qualifying and i fucking hate bruce arena. otoh tonight i am flying to the UK to risk getting bullied by del and number none forever
I'm 15 and want to be a part of this friend now. What can I do? (self.LazerBlade)
submitted 3 minutes ago by LazerBlade_Teen
ecto

Postby chargie » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:15 pm

what is the uefa nations league when it's at home
chargie

Postby Tom Cruise » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:21 pm

Hey I'm in the UK :cry:

That Nations League sounds lame, yeah. Not that I ever paid attention to friendlies anyway
Tom Cruise

Postby dimetrodons 'r' us » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:30 pm

Lucky wrote:Hey I'm in the UK :cry:

That Nations League sounds lame, yeah. Not that I ever paid attention to friendlies anyway

Isn't it tied to Euro qualification somehow?
dimetrodons 'r' us

Postby Tom Cruise » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:33 pm

One team from each tier qualifies though that I think? So Liechtenstein or the Isle of Man or whatever will be in the next Euros.

Don't know what would happen if everyone in the top tier/seeding group goes through via the regular Euro qualifiers though.

Euro qualifiers is ten groups of 5/6 and the top two go through. Then four qualify from this thing.
Tom Cruise

Postby KALM » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:53 pm

ecto wrote:suffering through a domestic league season is one of the stressful and inhumane things you can do as a sports fan and i gleefully look forward to it every year

the thing about international soccer, especially in a confederation without a prestigious mid-cycle tournament, is that when your team fails, there's no "maybe next year," you have absolutely nothing to look forward to for another 4 years with no positive memories to tide you over during that time. you carry the pain or the glory of those final moments with you through the void of the intervening years.

and you might be a completely different person when you reach the other side, you may have an entirely different set of friends to share or not share these experiences with, your priorities might have shifted, your interest in the sport might have waned. all the players that you connected with could be gone by then. it just feels like a lifetime away

i've followed a number of professional sports teams pretty closely over the years, and i've mourned and celebrated their failures and successes each seasons pretty intensely, but there's really nothing that matches the emotional impact of following the usmnt for me, for good and bad. being a fan of an international side above all else is just one of the craziest things you can do to yourself.
KALM

Postby Tom Cruise » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:57 pm

can't believe you're disrespecting the gold cup like this!
Tom Cruise

Postby KALM » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:01 pm

the gold cup is usually good for one additional us-mexico game a cycle, with something approaching the intensity of the qualifiers between those sides, so i should give it credit for that
KALM

Postby Hoxha » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:02 pm

The World Cup is just kind of lame because it takes two years and a bazillion games to qualify for three guaranteed group stage games, at least two of which are bound to suck, and if you lose the first game you're likely to be out.
For the overwhelming majority of teams (let's say anyone who doesn't make it to QFs) it's just unremarkable, unless you're a middling team and you manage to squeeze a draw against Italy or something.
Hoxha

Postby dimetrodons 'r' us » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:11 pm

Hoxha wrote:The World Cup is just kind of lame because it takes two years and a bazillion games to qualify for three guaranteed group stage games, at least two of which are bound to suck, and if you lose the first game you're likely to be out.
For the overwhelming majority of teams (let's say anyone who doesn't make it to QFs) it's just unremarkable, unless you're a middling team and you manage to squeeze a draw against Italy or something.

It sure doesn't seem like it's "unremarkable" to people in Egypt or Panama or Iceland these past few days and I highly doubt they'll feel differently come next summer no matter what the results end up being.
dimetrodons 'r' us

Postby KALM » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:12 pm

well it's complicated. whenever we make it out of the group stage in the world cup -- which we managed in 3 of the last 4 tournaments -- it kind of gives added meaning to the bazillion qualifiers we endured to get there too, so it feels like more than just 4 games.

and yeah it doesn't make a lot of sense on paper, but those 3-4 games pack a lot of emotion and intensity into them, even if some of them objectively suck. i don't think i'm in in the minority in that opinion either.
KALM

Postby antoine » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:27 pm

KALM wrote:well it's complicated. whenever we make it out of the group stage in the world cup -- which we managed in 3 of the last 4 tournaments -- it kind of gives added meaning to the bazillion qualifiers we endured to get there too, so it feels like more than just 4 games.

and yeah it doesn't make a lot of sense on paper, but those 3-4 games pack a lot of emotion and intensity into them, even if some of them objectively suck. i don't think i'm in in the minority in that opinion either.

Yeah definitely. The scarcity makes it special, which mirrors the game itself. Soccer wouldn't be same if goals were really easy to come by and every game was like 20 -15 or whatever.
trouble wrote:when you are gonna get married and shopping around
take a minute a think about the posts that were made by antoine
antoine

Postby fraew » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:32 pm

I wonder how 'Arry would do managing USA? Do they have enough quality players that FRAAB would work?
fraew

Postby mites » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:03 pm

Y’all hating international soccer in here, losers?
mites

Postby fury » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:13 pm

The gold cup isn't a good USA Mexico spot anymore. Of the the two usually fails
fury
ok

Postby darkendofthestreet » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:41 pm

mites wrote:Y’all hating international soccer in here, losers?

Some of us are English and therefore have no choice.
"Gogol Android"
darkendofthestreet

Postby fraew » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:01 pm

I'm a kiwi, I don't expect anything, so any victory is a pleasant surprise
fraew

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All