Do we have a thread about the opioid epidemic?

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby wario lopez » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:16 pm

goddamn, check out this graph from that article
✧・゚:*☆*・゜゚・*(っ◕‿◕)っ ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗლ(๏‿๏ ლ)*・゜゚・*☆*:・゚✧
wario lopez
ok

Postby gershon » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:52 pm

Nickward wrote:Very cool, congratulations. Those folks have saved my ass in the past and now that I've been clean for awhile I have considered doing similar volunteer work. And Suboxone has been a major part of my recovery -- I have seen people make the most remarkable turn arounds on it. I donated $100 to your organization; it was a win-win because it balanced my checking account to a cool $666.00 8-)

Awesome, thank you, we really appreciate it!
gershon
גֵּרְשׁוֹן

Postby gershon » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:53 pm

Our volunteer syringe access program and naloxone distribution got an NPR-affiliate radio piece and article put out recently:

https://kjzz.org/content/527188/phoenixs-underground-needle-exchange-offers-lifeline-opioid-users

And I got the job at a medically assisted therapy [MAT] center:) woo hoo, passionately employed:)
gershon
גֵּרְשׁוֹן

Postby Grey Poupon » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:16 pm

Never mind I misread the graph (twice)
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
Grey Poupon

Postby blackbetty » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:17 am

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a12775932/sackler-family-oxycontin/

By the end of the decade, clinical proponents of opioid treatment, supported by millions in funding from Purdue and other pharmaceutical companies, had organized themselves into advocacy groups with names like the American Pain Society and the American Academy of Pain Medicine. (Purdue also launched its own group, called Partners Against Pain.) As the decade wore on, these organizations, which critics have characterized as front groups for the pharmaceutical industry, began pressuring health regulators to make pain “the fifth vital sign”—a number, measured on a subjective ten-point scale, to be asked and recorded at every doctor’s visit. As an internal strategy document put it, Purdue’s ambition was to “attach an emotional aspect to noncancer pain” so that doctors would feel pressure to “treat it more seriously and aggressively.” The company rebranded pain relief as a sacred right: a universal narcotic entitlement available not only to the terminally ill but to every American.
blackbetty

Postby landspeedrecord » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:17 am

I was in philly this past weekend, couldn’t walk a block without seeing needles on the ground, even in nicer neighborhoods

it was so much worse than it was even 2 years ago... startling
rather be an idiot than a sheeple
landspeedrecord

Postby chandler » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:25 am

yeah it's bad here

we import a lot of addicts from surrounding counties, jersey
i've been getting really into pestcest too lately. haven't really been able to find much good ant stuff, though. anybody have any links to some good biting vids/pics?
chandler

Postby Merciel » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:25 am

Yeah I saw a guy pretty much dying on the steps of a Fishtown rowhouse last time I went to a show up there.

We don't see it too much in our neighborhood but it's definitely a big problem.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby landspeedrecord » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:29 am

ya I was in kensington where my friends just bought this *amazing* modern 3-story building, and I realize that hood is right next to fishtown which is pretty sketch, but to walk around cobblestone streets littered with needles and baggies is just... surreal

have any of y'all gone through narcan training//carry it around with you?
rather be an idiot than a sheeple
landspeedrecord

Postby Merciel » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:33 am

Fishtown is more gentrified than Kensington, which is ground zero for our opioid problem. If you were there, I'm not surprised you saw it all over. It is all over.

I don't carry Narcan and haven't done the training. It isn't offered in our office (which might change with the new administration, who knows) but a dose in my hands would be inefficiently placed anyhow, since I don't live in an area where it's a routine enough occurrence for it to be worth preparing me over somebody else.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby Alexis » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:05 am

has anyone seen this?? they filmed it in Arkansas about 20-40 miles outside of Little Rock but i see all kinds of meth addicted people in Conway but it's on HBOGO

Alexis

Postby ZONKER » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:18 am

Alexis wrote:has anyone seen this?? they filmed it in Arkansas about 20-40 miles outside of Little Rock but i see all kinds of meth addicted people in Conway but it's on HBOGO

No I haven’t but thank you, drug docs are right up my alley

And props to gershon and PB, keep doing good work ya’ll - we really appreciate it <3
Image Image Image Image Image
Shotfrog wrote:These horrible, despicable people make it so far in life, and last night I was eating kraft mac and cheese straight out of the pan with a wooden spoon.
ZONKER

Postby gershon » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:15 pm

landspeedrecord wrote:have any of y'all gone through narcan training//carry it around with you?

Yes, my life currently revolves around harm reduction. I volunteer with a syringe access program and a naloxone distributor. Two of my closest friends go around doing naloxone trainings in treatment centers, Native reservations, hospitals, corrections, police departments and more in our county. I do on the street outreach and train people on how to use narcan/naloxone and give them clean syringes and a place to dispose of old ones.

I’m working for a medicine assisted treatment (MAT) center now which doses people on methadone, suboxone, or vivitrol.

The hardest part is convincing lawmakers to treat syringe access as a necessary part of treating opioid use in Phoenix, AZ.
gershon
גֵּרְשׁוֹן

Postby gershon » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:29 pm

No, wait, the hardest part is finding funding sources and donors.
gershon
גֵּרְשׁוֹן

Postby wario lopez » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:54 pm

i used to do a lot of naloxone education and distribution in my previous job. we actually heard back from some patients that they successfully used it on others/themselves/had it used on them. so that's a few lives saved. i'm currently working on implementing an education program for my current job. we're also taking major strides in deprescribing of benzos for those on opioids, as they greatly increase the risk of overdose. while writing this policy, i came across some surprising data.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/1653518
>50% of overdose deaths are from prescription medications, not street drugs. benzos contribute to about 1/3 of prescription opioid-related deaths, and opioids were involved in over 3/4 opioid-related deaths. 3/4 of overdose deaths are unintentional. these numbers of benzo+opioid combination deaths might even be higher due to tox screens being very poor at detecting synthetic opioids or certain benzos. in fact, commonly abused benzos like xanax, ativan, klonopin, don't show up on urine drug screens at all and often detecting those in the blood is a send out to outside labs.
wario lopez
ok

Postby gershon » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:04 pm

At the MAT clinic we do flash ua screens at point of contact, or when the client first comes to us before we dose them and the quick screen DOES screen for benzos, it’s just not as comprehensive as a full screen. Full screen’s are sent out after the flash and those do differentiate between benzos and synthetic opioids. I don’t know what that study is saying...quick screens DO scan for benzos.
gershon
גֵּרְשׁוֹן

Postby gershon » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:08 pm

Also, naloxone only works on opioids and opiates, it doesn’t do anything for benzos. So, in a poly overdose situation with heroin and Xanax, they are both depressants and can slow the breathing, but naloxone will only pull the person out of the opiate overdose. Rescue breathing, not cpr, might help after, but the person would seriously need to be taken to a hospital
gershon
גֵּרְשׁוֹן

Postby wario lopez » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:41 pm

gershon wrote:At the MAT clinic we do flash ua screens at point of contact, or when the client first comes to us before we dose them and the quick screen DOES screen for benzos, it’s just not as comprehensive as a full screen. Full screen’s are sent out after the flash and those do differentiate between benzos and synthetic opioids. I don’t know what that study is saying...quick screens DO scan for benzos.

it depends on the screen assay. many quick screens only detect 1,4-benzodiazepines such as oxazepam. if someone takes diazepam, then it'll pop because diazepam is metabolized to oxazepam (albeit partially). screen+confirmation is needed for metabolites of other medications. it's more dicey. taken from arup labs:

False positive rates for benzodiazepine immunoassays are relatively low (<5 percent). However, most benzodiazepine immunoassays used for screening are susceptible to false negative results. The false-negative rate for benzodiazepines in an immunoassay screen is approximately 25-30 percent, and is particularly problematic for clonazepam. One reason for false-negative clonazepam results is that the drug appears in the urine almost entirely as 7-aminoclonazepam, a metabolite that is not detected by many commercial immunoassay screens. A similar challenge exists for some other extensively metabolized benzodiazepines.
Last edited by wario lopez on Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wario lopez
ok

Postby wario lopez » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:44 pm

so yes, while the drug screen does say "benzodiazepines" on there, you actually have to know what assay you're running. because i've had people be prescribed benzos that they are taking and testing negative on them and not a lot of people will order a confirmation test on a negative screen.
wario lopez
ok

Postby Classic Dog Avatar » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:08 am

the fact that I see ads for ancillary drugs to help oxyheads go to sleep or take a shit is so jarring to me
Classic Dog Avatar
ride.

Postby inspectorhound » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:20 am

saw this ad on tv the other day

inspectorhound

Postby Annie May » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:20 am

Merciel wrote:Yeah I saw a guy pretty much dying on the steps of a Fishtown rowhouse last time I went to a show up there.

We don't see it too much in our neighborhood but it's definitely a big problem.

Yeah i ran across an unresponsive dude in an alleyway around washington square at work the other day. Someone was already there and had called an ambulance so i went on my way after asking what was going on.
An acquaintance of mine recently died from this stuff and it's been hitting everyone in my circle pretty hard. At his memorial service several former users got up to talk about the epidemic and offer help if anyone needed it which was nice. It's good to see people mobilizing against this problem but stigmatization is still really high and it seems to just keep getting worse.
Annie May

Postby Johan POOPLER » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:23 am

maybe it's the suicidal junkie in me talking but my main problem with the opioid epidemic is that other people are hoggin em all and dying instead of me
das ding wrote:
so what did he have to say about manly attraction to sheep?

i dunno. it's a very sad aspect of our nature, but also one of the foundations of love

ImageImageImageImage
Johan POOPLER
Site Admin

Postby Johan POOPLER » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:26 am

one time i ordered a bunch of methadone off the silk road with the intention of killing myself but i took a little taste and puked for hours. but if i had done it and then the silk road/hpn connection came out it would have been cool to have lived by the board and died by the board.....
das ding wrote:

i dunno. it's a very sad aspect of our nature, but also one of the foundations of love

ImageImageImageImage
Johan POOPLER
Site Admin

Postby Classic Dog Avatar » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:32 am

i always read about people getting hooked after like one use but i've done that dozens of times without much effect but a good time

it's of course a horrifying thing, what would it take to go from "oh, fuckin cool time" to "i can't stop"

i mean i dunno i'm drinking my fifth gin+lime after committing to sobriety so maybe i should check my logs
Classic Dog Avatar
ride.

Postby Johan POOPLER » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:10 am

you just have to have enough to get real high for like a week straight, and also have a bad week
das ding wrote:

ImageImageImageImage
Johan POOPLER
Site Admin

Postby madness and chaos » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:17 pm

https://www.facebook.com/8770211279/videos/10155764036806280/

new season of intervention deals completely with the opioid epidemic and even though I see/deal with this daily in recovery, all the problems and death, etc, I think it'll be good for people to see
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby madness and chaos » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:29 am

weird, i was the last one to post

here it is

https://openload.co/f/Ra_V9wX8Vyw
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby wario lopez » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:31 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2018/01/31/a-town-of-3200-was-flooded-with-21-million-pain-pills-as-addiction-crisis-worsened-lawmakers-say/?utm_term=.7513b4dce336

Over the past decade, nearly 21 million prescription painkillers have been shipped to a tiny town in West Virginia, a state where more people have overdosed on opioids and died than in any other in the nation.

The House Energy and Commerce Committee, which has been investigating the opioid epidemic, revealed that 20.8 million hydrocodone and oxycodone pills have been delivered to Williamson, W.Va., a town with a community college, a rail yard — and fewer than 3,200 residents, according to the most recent Census figures.

That's more than 6,500 pills per person
wario lopez
ok

Postby Merciel » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:07 am

I'm putting together a big presentation on the proposed Philly safe injection site for work. I have a professor coming in from Boston and am trying to get some of the local public health representatives and people from a harm reduction group to come in too.

It's been a fair amount of work but has been pretty fun as a side project. I hope the presentation goes well.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....