Do we have a thread about the opioid epidemic?

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby hologram » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:36 pm

You aren't truly sorry

because judging from your story you'll find yourself to sleep with any dirty type of seduction

But of course with "journalistic intentions" you were looking for a story to dwell onto the insusceptible

but please keep pretending heroin is a passing charade!
hologram
acid casualty

Postby ceo » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:51 pm

hologram wrote:You aren't truly sorry

because judging from your story you'll find yourself to sleep with any dirty type of seduction

But of course with "journalistic intentions" you were looking for a story to dwell onto the insusceptible

It's unfortunate that you didn't have the same experience. I'm sorry to hear that.
ceo

Postby furrowed brow » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:54 pm

u guys ever seen requiem for the dream

fked up
furrowed brow

Postby Pace » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:13 pm

chimp wrote:Having a "no narcan" policy is totally insane and will result in preventable deaths.

He actually went a little further when the Warshington Post followed up with him:

We don't do the shots for bee stings, we don't inject diabetic people with insulin. When does it stop?” he told The Washington Post.

“I'm not the one that decides if people live or die. They decide that when they stick that needle in their arm.”
alas i must fix my life
Pace

Postby Pace » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:29 pm

I can understand being reluctant with insulin given that there's some variability with dosing and maybe some expertise the deputies don't have. But epipens are easier to work than guns.
alas i must fix my life
Pace

Postby deebster » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:33 pm

Pace wrote:
chimp wrote:Having a "no narcan" policy is totally insane and will result in preventable deaths.

He actually went a little further when the Warshington Post followed up with him:

We don't do the shots for bee stings, we don't inject diabetic people with insulin. When does it stop?” he told The Washington Post.

“I'm not the one that decides if people live or die. They decide that when they stick that needle in their arm.”

god, this is fucking infuriating
deebster

Postby DasLofGang » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:35 pm

c'mon, Sheriff Shithead! if you save their lives you get to arrest them!
Your slightly panicking new friend,
DasLofGang

Postby DasLofGang » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:35 pm

butler county ohio, everybody
Your slightly panicking new friend,
DasLofGang

Postby pantsoclock » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:30 pm

You know what's good? Good Samaritan laws that prevent prosecution for possession in cases where you call emergency services for an overdose: http://www.drugpolicy.org/911-good-samaritan-fatal-overdose-prevention-law
I pay tax to help pay for things like police..fire..parks..but it goes to Ferguson like people and foreigners who are scamming our stupid government that is full of pasta thieves like this guy
pantsoclock

Postby inspectorhound » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:52 pm

pantsoclock wrote:You know what's good? Good Samaritan laws that prevent prosecution for possession in cases where you call emergency services for an overdose: http://www.drugpolicy.org/911-good-samaritan-fatal-overdose-prevention-law

guess who wet his pants over a heroin immunity policy that wasn't even in his county!

inspectorhound

Postby bear » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:57 pm

-
bear
good bear

Postby cocoon man » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:05 pm

ceo wrote:
hologram wrote:You aren't truly sorry

It's unfortunate that you didn't have the same experience. I'm sorry to hear that.

Yeah sorry you're officially the dumbest person who boards here

Not sorry I mean congratulations you've just won a lifetime supply of the dirty brown
BILL GATES I'M YOUR STEPSON
I'M SO PROUD TO SHARE YOUR GENES
cocoon man

Postby gold and glass » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:51 pm

someone died in the bathroom of the last greyhound bus i was on
we all had to stand at the side of the bus and watch them drag his body off
fuck you and your corporation
gold and glass
ok

Postby Delphic » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:21 pm

I pop a lot of opiates and have been for a while. It made me feel nice when I was down. Over time it sort of made my personality feel less awful or something. Its really hard to describe. But I think it's bad for me and I've started really realizing that in a meaningful way. I threw up a lot of blood not long ago, so there's that too. I'm doing okay right now. I haven't posted for a while because I get caught up in things. This was a really long winded post. Laugh out loud!
enigma
Delphic

Postby viachicago » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:39 am

chimp wrote:
viachicago wrote:
that graph would seem to suggest that Drs were increasingly lax in prescribing opiate pain pills

I get this criticism but as a doctor when someone comes to you with significant pain what are you supposed to do? There really isn't a straightforward answer. I try to spare opioids as much as possible but you have to treat pain.

It definitely has a legit use and there are ppl who Def need to be on it where nothing else will work. I definitely did not need to be for wisdom tooth removal or a strained muscle however. They're massively overprescribed. I was just handed this shit without a single warning as an impressionable late teen/early 20 something and so were all my friends. What do they think is going to happen exactly. Other countries do not have this same sort of problem and still manage to provide exceptional healthcare. At this point it's a combination of massive marketing efforts from pharmaceutical companies to drs, and a general population that now expects extremely strong pills or they think they're getting ripped off somehow. I think the medical community definitely deserves some blame for how this has all transpired
viachicago

Postby blackbetty » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:26 am

viachicago wrote:
chimp wrote:
viachicago wrote:
that graph would seem to suggest that Drs were increasingly lax in prescribing opiate pain pills

I get this criticism but as a doctor when someone comes to you with significant pain what are you supposed to do? There really isn't a straightforward answer. I try to spare opioids as much as possible but you have to treat pain.

It definitely has a legit use and there are ppl who Def need to be on it where nothing else will work. I definitely did not need to be for wisdom tooth removal or a strained muscle however. They're massively overprescribed. I was just handed this shit without a single warning as an impressionable late teen/early 20 something and so were all my friends. What do they think is going to happen exactly. Other countries do not have this same sort of problem and still manage to provide exceptional healthcare. At this point it's a combination of massive marketing efforts from pharmaceutical companies to drs, and a general population that now expects extremely strong pills or they think they're getting ripped off somehow. I think the medical community definitely deserves some blame for how this has all transpired

I work in an ED and this feels like shaming to me. Pain is notoriously hard to objectively evaluate. I would also like to say there is less od deaths in states with recreational mj
blackbetty

Postby chimp » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:31 am

i work in the UK, i dunno how things are in the US and maybe practice is totally different there. but yeah at least part of the problem in my experience is that many people have (what appears to be) a very low tolerance for any pain and expect to be completely pain-free. this leads to pressure on prescribers to give more powerful analgesia and ultimately we don't have any great options apart from opioid based drugs
chimp

Postby chimp » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:43 am

like for every person who says "man i totally didn't need that drug, what was that doctor thinking" there will be someone else who is like "that pain was unbearable". trust me i see these people. some seem to experience pain that is way out of proportion to what it seems to me that they "should" be feeling. that leaves you in a really difficult position as the clinician

it's highly subjective and of course the way to decide is by taking a proper history and using your clinical judgment but i'm just saying it's not straightforward
chimp

Postby chimp » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:52 am

its probably not totally dissimilar to the antibiotic prescribing thing where are a lot of people are also like "why are doctors so dumb on this"

i genuinely believe that part of the problem in both cases is that patients are now prepared to be a lot more demanding of healthcare professionals and now are much more supported in that by regulatory and legal mechanisms. patients as a group are more likely to sue or formally complain if they don't get what they want and that means that increasingly doctors give people what (it's perceived that) they want which isn't always the same as what they should have. again i'm speaking from the UK context but i doubt it's very different in the US. i'm not defending this state of affairs i'm just offering an explanation
chimp

Postby chimp » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:10 am

i've come under a shit ton of pressure to inappropriately prescribe antibiotics, especially to kids. i had one father try to make me sign a piece of paper to say that i was legally responsible if his kid became more unwell after me not giving him antibiotics. had another dude take my name and professional registration number after refusing to give antibiotics. i get indignant in these situations but a lot of people will just crumple probably. anyway not totally the same thing but similar dynamic in some cases
chimp

Postby blackbetty » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:26 am

Chimp keep doing the right thing. It's the same here in my experience. The decline of health care into customer service (and pharmaceutical companies as advisers) is a total death wish
blackbetty

Postby blackbetty » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:31 am

My understanding is a new, organic route to opiate synthesis has been discovered which will probably be exploited in illegal trade and exacerbate the epidemic
blackbetty

Postby blackbetty » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:34 am

Pretty much treat it like a plague and avoid exposure. It reminds me of the first message ever telegraphed

I guess it's worth mentioning this conversation changes with end-of-life care
blackbetty

Postby gershon » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:52 pm

Bump!

I volunteer with Shot in the Dark, Phoenix's (yes, that city) largest syringe access and naloxone distribution program in Arizona. It's an all volunteer organization with no paid employees and we all donate our own time and services to the community. We completely rely on donations and grants to supply naloxone and harm reduction materials. We aren't state funded and have to operate outside of state sponsored healthcare. We have understandings with local law enforcement to let us operate in peace...

We are seriously low on funding and that's why I'm posting this donation link here:

https://www.gofundme.com/phoenix-harm-reduction-fundraiser

If you want to know more, let me know. Please donate or share the link if you're inclined. Thanks!
gershon
גֵּרְשׁוֹן

Postby unome » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:45 am

On the bright side, low dose Naltrexone has done wonders for my fibromyalgia
unome

Postby captain » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:07 am

fentanyl will kill between 400-500 vancouverites in 2017

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/dru ... d-fentanyl
ive been thinkin about my life lately and in short im goin A-WALL
captain

Postby gershon » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:53 pm

I have a job interview with a methadone/suboxone clinic and treatment center tomorrow:)
gershon
גֵּרְשׁוֹן

Postby Peptobysmal » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:51 am

That's real awesome Gershon, good for you.
Peptobysmal

Postby gershon » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:53 am

Thanks, nickward:)
gershon
גֵּרְשׁוֹן

Postby gershon » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:38 pm

gershon wrote:I have a job interview with a methadone/suboxone clinic and treatment center tomorrow:)

One more interview on Thursday and it seems like I've pretty much got the job. I'll still be able to volunteer with the syringe access/naloxone program at nights, too:)
gershon
גֵּרְשׁוֹן

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All