Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby ripersnifle » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:28 pm

antoine wrote:They both can be charlatans imo
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
ripersnifle

Postby mego » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:30 pm

Heard pills today and really dogged the sound/production, especially the brass part, but then started listening to the lyrics and felt really let down. What a waste
mego

Postby various artists » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:02 pm

This record feels really empty. None of the character of her other work. All the talk about it looking like and sounding like a pop LP; it's nothing to do with that. She's already made an amazing pop record. I just really thought their was something missing. I didn't think it sounded like her work, either, which is odd, given how she's consistently reinforced how personal it is. I still think she's brilliant, and she will make another great album, but this is not it.
various artists

Postby scrambled » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:10 pm

antoine wrote:She's always been more of an influencer or icon or whatever than a pure musician. She just seems to be being more obvious about it now.

lol wtf

who else would you say this about - trying to wrap my head around this
scrambled

Postby scrambled » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:10 pm

what's a 'pure musician'
scrambled

Postby Eugenics » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:42 pm

i think david byrne might have broken her circuits
Eugenics

Postby miss black america » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:09 am

scrambled wrote:what's a 'pure musician'

i think this just means her music gets "presented by" peroni and red bull
hahaha mad me chuckle that
miss black america

Postby Kenny » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:37 am

scrambled wrote:
antoine wrote:She's always been more of an influencer or icon or whatever than a pure musician. She just seems to be being more obvious about it now.

lol wtf

who else would you say this about - trying to wrap my head around this

Kanye West :smugpepe:
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage
Never forget, other opinions are available
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Hieronymus Kush » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:39 am

Robbie basho
in filth it will be found
Hieronymus Kush

Postby Permafrost » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:00 am

I still resent all chiropractors for his broken neck
Permafrost

Postby Bad Craziness » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:54 pm

pills pills pills
Bad Craziness

Postby ripersnifle » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:50 pm

noone will be talking about this album in 6 months
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:11 am

it's The xx I See You of the Q42017
ripersnifle

Postby Bad Craziness » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:25 am

pills pills pills
Bad Craziness

Postby antoine » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:57 am

I just meant like her image/fashion/personality seemed to always take precedence over the music. People like Bowie or even Gaga or whatever can get away with it because they wrote classic/undeniable tunes. What would a best of St. Vincent look like? I admit it was clumsily worded. She clearly wants to be an outre avant popstar but she cant write Big Pop Songs in that way. Although you know I'm not hugely versed in her discography. Her best song is that H E L P song. That's a good Bowie/Byrne esque artpop song. Her batting average just seems not very good tho.
antoine

Postby Raoupp » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:50 am

gaga huh
Raoupp

Postby mancubz » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:01 am

this record sucks but antoine's take sucks more
her personality has to disappear because her work is art? how fucking shitty would it be if people critiqued your work and said, 'that guy's done some good jobs, for sure, but he has a personality and dresses a little snazzy so i know he's a faker' ?
elaine wrote:sharp knives sharp knives, cut the onion, cut the bell pepper, cut the steak, cut your wrists, cut your genitals, cut your brain out
mancubz
BAD BITCH ALERT

Postby Kuboaa » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:03 am

probably some guitarist in a prog rock band
Kuboaa

Postby miss black america » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:18 am

gaga has more bangers than stv no doubt
hahaha mad me chuckle that
miss black america

Postby giant_turtle » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:28 pm

antoine wrote:What would a best of St. Vincent look like?

Jesus Saves, I Spend
Now, Now
Actor out of Work
Marrow
Surgeon
Cruel
Cheerleader
KROKODIL
Who
Digital Witness
Birth in Reverse
Pieta
Teenage Talk
New York
Loss Ageless
Pills

That's purely based on the typical "best ofs" compiled of singles, but I would add "Your Lips Are Red", "Marry Me" and "Laughing With a Mouth of Blood" too.

Shows growth and change as an artist, and 90% of those tracks are catchy as hell. Completely serviceable comp and I will probably make it on Spotify later lol

Like, we get it, you don't like her, but your psychoanalysis of her popularity is a little tacky.
giant_turtle

Postby antoine » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:31 pm

agreed. it was a bad take now that i think about it. she has some good songs for sure i'm just not real into her stuff and i'm being dumb about the fashion stuff.
antoine

Postby black mamba » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:08 pm

antoine wrote:

I just meant like her image/fashion/personality seemed to always take precedence over the music. People like Bowie or even Gaga or whatever can get away with it because they wrote classic/undeniable tunes. What would a best of St. Vincent look like? I admit it was clumsily worded. She clearly wants to be an outre avant popstar but she cant write Big Pop Songs in that way. Although you know I'm not hugely versed in her discography. Her best song is that H E L P song. That's a good Bowie/Byrne esque artpop song. Her batting average just seems not very good tho.

mancubz wrote:this record sucks but antoine's take sucks more
her personality has to disappear because her work is art? how fucking shitty would it be if people critiqued your work and said, 'that guy's done some good jobs, for sure, but he has a personality and dresses a little snazzy so i know he's a faker' ?

antoine wrote:agreed. it was a bad take now that i think about it. she has some good songs for sure i'm just not real into her stuff and i'm being dumb about the fashion stuff.

imo i can't think of a more guarded musician so, to me, all the razzmatazz isn't her personality it actually comes off as some sort of replacement for an emotional core that she knows she will never share. it is fine that she wants to protect herself, i would want to too if i were in her position tbh, it's just that there is a disconnect when you're dealing with pop music where a lot of the value of a song is in the vocal performance and its perceived sincerity of emotion. on the other end of the spectrum i think the arcade fire man kind of thought he understood this but i don't think ever really grasped it intuitively which is why he comes off as a shouty mormon preacher now

disclaimer 1: i reserve the right to change my opinion on this
disclaimer 2: ultimately we are talking about optics and i do not know st. vincent
black mamba
ok

Postby lostintheair » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:02 am

Anonymous said... lostinthemall is my nicca luv the virgin pron freak numetal never been kissed angsty teen angle this dude stays on point and has been killin it since day one
lostintheair

Postby ripersnifle » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:11 am

black mamba wrote:
antoine wrote:

mancubz wrote:this record sucks but antoine's take sucks more

antoine wrote:agreed. it was a bad take now that i think about it. she has some good songs for sure i'm just not real into her stuff and i'm being dumb about the fashion stuff.

imo i can't think of a more guarded musician so, to me, all the razzmatazz isn't her personality it actually comes off as some sort of replacement for an emotional core that she knows she will never share. it is fine that she wants to protect herself, i would want to too if i were in her position tbh, it's just that there is a disconnect when you're dealing with pop music where a lot of the value of a song is in the vocal performance and its perceived sincerity of emotion. on the other end of the spectrum i think the arcade fire man kind of thought he understood this but i don't think ever really grasped it intuitively which is why he comes off as a shouty mormon preacher now

disclaimer 1: i reserve the right to change my opinion on this
disclaimer 2: ultimately we are talking about optics and i do not know st. vincent
good post
she, of course, needs to be noticeably above pop while attempting pop which is just such a seinfeld.gif from me at this point.
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:13 am

ripersnifle wrote:noone will be talking about this album in 6 months
i should actually revise this to 2 months, because, let's be honest, noone talks about any record anymore in 6 months.
ripersnifle

Postby mead » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:33 am

Hieronymus Kush wrote:

Robbie basho

yeah this is the perfect answer
mead

Postby speakers » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:41 am

ripersnifle wrote:
ripersnifle wrote:noone will be talking about this album in 6 months
i should actually revise this to 2 months, because, let's be honest, noone talks about any record anymore in 6 months.

are the mayans at it again?
speakers

Postby mego » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:45 pm

don't get me wrong, i know it's wrong and i'm utterly ashamed of myself but i like the song Pills. it's flawed but just super catchy and interesting.

it's the first st vincent song i've really liked.

my st vincent opinions are wrong and shameful. i'm aware of this
mego

Postby giant_turtle » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:07 pm

I finally listened to it on decent speakers and, yeah, I kinda like it too. The coda is v nice.
giant_turtle

Postby scrambled » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:14 pm

i feel like her coda's are always nice

i think i like piano st vincent more than guitar-y st vincent

like the last half of her debut album is just pure balm for me
scrambled

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....