Streaming recommendations (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Crackle?)

Ive found in time the search on this forum was shit but if you google whatever keywords with the word hipinion, you get what you're looking for most of the time. I mean even when they keywords aren't exact.

Postby wintergreen » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:28 am

i'm two episodes into erased -- a live action japanese series on netflix -- and it's really good so far. in the first episode, we meet a depressed young man who is occasionally thrown into the past by a few minutes. he knows from experience that this happens when something tragic is about to occur, so he has to quickly locate and avert whatever it is. this doesn't have a chance to become gimmicky, because by the end of the first episode a tragedy occurs that he very much needs to reverse. he hopes for one of his "revivals", as he calls them, and one does occur -- but it sends him back to elementary school, where he realizes he has an opportunity to prevent some major tragedies that occurred then.

the production is downright cinematic, with beautiful photography shot on location on hokkaido and in chiba, and excellent performances (so far.)
wintergreen

Postby worrywort » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:33 pm

i'm on the One Day At A Time train. it is so good.
worrywort

Postby Riverchrist » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:43 pm

This good

Riverchrist

Postby saranclaps » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:14 am

For cheap ppl: Discovered this site tonight. Has a bunch random things (Mulholland Dr, Peep Show, The Overnighters, Holy Motors, Dogtooth) streaming free with ads.
https://tubitv.com/home
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening
saranclaps

Postby jca » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:13 pm

ive been using crackle. lots of shit not on hulu and netflix and the ads are like a minute
jca

Postby Kevin McCallister » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:19 pm

saranclaps wrote:I'm not sure this 100% counts, but since I threw it up in the Oscars thread seems worth mentioning here, Steve James now-Oscar-nominated Abacus, chroncling the a small community bank that was only bank to face prosecution in the wake of the financial crisis, is streaming on the PBS site for free

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/abacus/

This is a great one.
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.
Kevin McCallister

Postby fresh salad » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:43 am

Standup For Drummers is interesting.
Yep, those are the jeans of a cat owner
fresh salad

Postby wintergreen » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:06 am

wintergreen wrote:i'm two episodes into erased -- a live action japanese series on netflix -- and it's really good so far. in the first episode, we meet a depressed young man who is occasionally thrown into the past by a few minutes. he knows from experience that this happens when something tragic is about to occur, so he has to quickly locate and avert whatever it is. this doesn't have a chance to become gimmicky, because by the end of the first episode a tragedy occurs that he very much needs to reverse. he hopes for one of his "revivals", as he calls them, and one does occur -- but it sends him back to elementary school, where he realizes he has an opportunity to prevent some major tragedies that occurred then.

the production is downright cinematic, with beautiful photography shot on location on hokkaido and in chiba, and excellent performances (so far.)

the ending of this didn't quite deliver, and there were some weaknesses in the plot, but it was quite good by netflix standards. if you like serial killers of children who wear bucket hats, this show is for you.
wintergreen

Postby wintergreen » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:11 am

here's the trailer, which doesn't give too much away:

wintergreen

Postby wintergreen » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:19 am

hm, now i see that the anime series, which the live action series appears to very closely resemble, is on hulu.
wintergreen

Postby wintergreen » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:41 am

i watched the first episode of the anime series and it's kind of insane how visually faithful the live action series is to it.
wintergreen

Postby wintergreen » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:09 am

jesus, there's a feature film too.

and the original manga of course.
wintergreen

Postby fresh salad » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:15 pm

Yep, those are the jeans of a cat owner
fresh salad

Postby pissydan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:40 pm

fresh salad wrote:

rudd looks dope. i dont know about the rest of this.
As life would have it, Johnny did somebody wrong and they filed a complaint.
pissydan
|ᵆ|>

Postby speakers » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:14 am

end of the fucking world was excellent
speakers

Postby Robo-Chachi » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:01 pm

Hulu has all 15 seasons of ER. Been waiting years for someone to finally get it.
Robo-Chachi

Postby peshay » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:10 pm

speakers wrote:end of the fucking world was excellent

So true.
peshay

Postby jalapeño ranch » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:12 pm

Robo-Chachi wrote:Hulu has all 15 seasons of ER. Been waiting years for someone to finally get it.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who's watched every episode of ER. Highly recommended!
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:
jalapeño ranch

Postby bongo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:13 pm

oh wow

gonna watch the entirety of ER
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby speakers » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:20 pm

intrigued by babylon berlin...

anyone seen it?
speakers

Postby gambra » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:24 pm

I'm near the end of S1 of Bablyon Berlin, its really good. Its a little difficult to keep track of what exactly the fuck is going on sometimes (the various factions and groups in particular are hard to follow) but the characters are so good its worth watching.
THIS IMPACT WILL CONTROL ALL MARGINS

Scrumptious Justice 8-) wrote:man don't be mean to gambra
gambra

Postby mellowgold » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:28 pm

The trailer looked so boring

Gonna give everything sucks a shot at some point just gotta have my 90s
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.
mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby gambra » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:29 pm

Ooh forgot Everything Sucks is out today. That's my night sorted.
THIS IMPACT WILL CONTROL ALL MARGINS

Scrumptious Justice 8-) wrote:man don't be mean to gambra
gambra

Postby pissydan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:52 pm

gambra wrote:Ooh forgot Everything Sucks is out today. That's my night sorted.

watched the first two episodes on the bus this morning. its pretty good.

tho i dont know why i watch these high school things. all it does is remind me of how afraid i was at all times and how much i hated high school and how much i wanted to just fucking off myself yet each one of these series that comes out i watch all over again and just hate myself all over again for a while.
pissydan
|ᵆ|>

Postby pissydan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:52 pm

enjoy your friday!
pissydan
|ᵆ|>

Postby trigross » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:27 pm

i'm def on s4 of er already

amazing ensemble in these first 5/6 seasons
trigross
our chow yun-fat

Postby sassafras socks » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:40 pm

Electric Dreams on Amazon is bleh so far, just feels like sub-Twilight Zone stories with robots and pretty good music. Was hoping for something much more striking considering some of the people involved.
sassafras socks

Postby jalapeño ranch » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:39 pm

trigross wrote:i'm def on s4 of er already

amazing ensemble in these first 5/6 seasons

The eighth season is the peak but then you get into some weird ass John Stamos, Linda Cardellini, and Darlene from Roseanne stuff later on and it really goes off the rails.

If I remember correctly, Shia Labeouf is in the first episode when Abby joins the cast.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:
jalapeño ranch

Postby saranclaps » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:45 am

Chris Rock standup special so dated that the cultural references include Circuit City.
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening
saranclaps

Postby . » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:23 am

How dated is it?
ride.

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All