Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby mellowgold » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:22 am

idk none of her new stuff is bad (ive come around to all of her singles to some degree) it's just...there. very uninspired and feels like she wasnt really ready to make another album just yet but was forced to put out something. this new one feels fully phoned in by both ts and antonoff.
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.
mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby wildarms » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:30 am

this would have been a hit country song and instead it doesn’t matter
wildarms

Postby mellowgold » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:33 am

yeah would love to hear the new one with a Red treatment!!
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.
mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby Marx & Engels » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:39 am

There's a snippet of an acoustic version of Call It What You Want on her Instagram and it sounds sooooo much better
Marx & Engels

Postby The Emperor's Son » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:13 am

The Emperor's Son wrote:- seinfeld.gif
- yeah i'm out
- it's okay just kind of a disappointing direction for her
- :roll eyes: at that video
- she's really trying to be something she's not
- okay this one is good <----- YOU ARE HERE
- pumped again
- omg omg omg omg track 6 omg omg omg
- 8)
- she did it again
- kind of crazy how talented she is
- would switch out track 7 for the b-side but honestly it's kind of perfect
The Emperor's Son

Postby Ankh » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:24 am

so she dropped the dopey "badass" persona and the next song is 5x as good
Ankh
senior fellow

Postby odilon redon » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:36 am

mellowgold wrote:idk none of her new stuff is bad (ive come around to all of her singles to some degree) it's just...there. very uninspired and feels like she wasnt really ready to make another album just yet but was forced to put out something. this new one feels fully phoned in by both ts and antonoff.

yeah. seems like either theres a lot more effort being put into redefining her persona and aesthetic than writing good songs or that this new persona she's trying to cultivate is actively hamstringing her songwriting.
E|---------------------|
B|---------------------|
G|-2-2-2-0^(0)-2^3^2-0
D|---------------------|
A|---------------------|
E|---------------------|
odilon redon

Postby odilon redon » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:40 am

regardless of how i feel about her attempts at rebranding, all of these songs excepting maybe "gorgeous" are comfortably in the bottom tier of taylor swift tracks
E|---------------------|
B|---------------------|
G|-2-2-2-0^(0)-2^3^2-0
D|---------------------|
A|---------------------|
E|---------------------|
odilon redon

Postby denvermax » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:10 pm

call it what you want is great. finally something to be hopeful about
denvermax

Postby Seamus » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:16 pm

i don't think it's great or anything but it's way better than the turds she's been releasing so far
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby Eugenics » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:17 pm

i feel kinda bad though, because it sounds like another personal record for her, and still about the dissolution of relationships - except now its more industry insider focused than about being boy crazy, but it just sounds really hokey and phony. like, i know she had to make it somewhat vague to appeal to the gen pop, and obviously taylor swift can't go full on hard in the paint with takedown verses or, umm.. actually rapping?, so it just kinda falls short to me. ill still listen to it though, and like i said before, we hopefully have a lifetime of style-shifting taylor swift records to look forward to :)
Eugenics

Postby The Emperor's Son » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:22 pm

just gonna park my spot in the 2020 "reputation is underrated" takesiverse now
The Emperor's Son

Postby black mamba » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:44 pm

mellowgold wrote:idk none of her new stuff is bad (ive come around to all of her singles to some degree) it's just...there. very uninspired and feels like she wasnt really ready to make another album just yet but was forced to put out something. this new one feels fully phoned in by both ts and antonoff.

if she didn't have any ideas yet she should have done a writers retreat and stolen the ideas of younger hungrier artists until she was ready to do her thing
black mamba
ok

Postby black mamba » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:46 pm

or she could have made one of those half assed mixtapes where half the lyrics are laughing and telling the engineer to change the levels
black mamba
ok

Postby ripersnifle » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:39 pm

black mamba wrote:

if she didn't have any ideas yet she should have done a writers retreat and stolen the ideas of younger hungrier artists until she was ready to do her thing
lol
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
Totally wrote:also to the really creepily obsessed kid frothing NON-US SPORTS GEAR IS A COMPLEXITY-SIGNALING DEVICE FOR AGEING HIPSTER ACOLYTES WHO DOWNLOAD MOANA: I have a lot of friends (and an apartment) in Geelong. Get a fuckin life man.
ripersnifle

Postby DAT TRILL FRIEND FRITZL » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:53 pm

My BAby"s Fly LiKe A jEtStreAm!!!!
“This miry Slough is such a place as cannot be mended; it is the descent whither the scum and filth that attends conviction for sin doth continually run, and therefore is it called the Slough of Despond.”
DAT TRILL FRIEND FRITZL

Postby fuckles » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:55 pm

i don't like how she ripped off CRJ by saying 'run away with me'
Cyril Sneer wrote:INSANE post. I could literally read it for hours.
fuckles

Postby marble » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:26 pm

bobble wrote:

just gimme a extra cd of the damn demos

i agree
marble

Postby grammatron » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:34 pm

Eugenics wrote:i feel kinda bad though, because it sounds like another personal record for her, and still about the dissolution of relationships - except now its more industry insider focused than about being boy crazy, but it just sounds really hokey and phony. like, i know she had to make it somewhat vague to appeal to the gen pop, and obviously taylor swift can't go full on hard in the paint with takedown verses or, umm.. actually rapping?, so it just kinda falls short to me. ill still listen to it though, and like i said before, we hopefully have a lifetime of style-shifting taylor swift records to look forward to :)

dapped
grammatron

Postby ripersnifle » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:09 pm

new song's a snooze
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
Totally wrote:also to the really creepily obsessed kid frothing NON-US SPORTS GEAR IS A COMPLEXITY-SIGNALING DEVICE FOR AGEING HIPSTER ACOLYTES WHO DOWNLOAD MOANA: I have a lot of friends (and an apartment) in Geelong. Get a fuckin life man.
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:10 pm

Antonoffcore is past best before.
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:14 pm

there are these moments in these new tracks where you can glimpse her natural cadence/gift for melody and it makes me kinda sad.
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:28 pm

welp happy release week press cycle Tay!
https://www.stereogum.com/1970645/aclu-backs-blogger-facing-legal-action-from-taylor-swift-after-post-demanding-she-denounce-white-supremacy/news/
Two months ago Meghan Herning, editor of the small blog PopFront, wrote an article critical of Taylor Swift and her single “Look What You Made Me Do.” Herning noted that Swift is held up as a pop icon in the white-supremacist world and that many neo-Nazis believe that Swift secretly shares their beliefs. The post made note of “dog whistles to white supremacy in the lyrics of her latest single,” and it ended by calling on Swift to denounce white supremacy: “Taylor’s silence is not innocent, it is calculated. And if that is not true, she needs to state her beliefs out loud for the world — no matter what fan base she might lose, because in America 2017, silence in the face of injustice means support for the oppressor.”

Two weeks ago, Herning received a letter from William J. Briggs, II, an attorney representing Swift, demanding that she remove the story and issue a retraction. The letter labels Herning’s blog post as “provably false and defamatory” and threatens a lawsuit. In a new press release, the ACLU of Northern California has taken Herning’s side, writing that Herning’s blog post is “a mix of political speech and critical commentary” and that Swift’s lawyer’s claim is “meritless.” ACLU lawyer Michael Risher writes, “This is a completely unsupported attempt to suppress constitutionally protected speech.”

Also, the ACLU has jokes! ACLU lawyer Matt Cagle writes, “Not in her wildest dreams can Ms. Swift use copyright law to suppress this exposure of a threat to constitutionally protected speech.”

The ACLU is now asking that Swift’s lawyers write a new letter promising that they will not pursue a lawsuit against Herning.
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:29 pm

reading that blog post was reminding me of Breitbart tweeting out the "lwymmd" lyrics lol
what a world
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:31 pm

to be clear, reading that post, i feel like there are a lot of reaches in it, but, that said, TS should not be litigating over this lol
ripersnifle

Postby Feech La Manna » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:34 am

Am I missing something or why would you not just put out a statement saying you clearly denounce white supremacy instead of pulling that dumb bullshit
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby banquo » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:22 am

I'd rather quietly threaten to litigate than publicly denounce evil conspiracies about me once a week or month (which would both make people wonder why anyone thinks that to begin with, and why they need to deny it if it's so blatantly untrue)

even if it ends with lawyers reading a boring statement denying it, it's better than taylor giving incentive to people that they'd get a response from her if they do it too

it also adds to the blogger's public record of having to legally defend their ridiculous claims for when they do it next time. other reasons too
banquo

Postby internethandle » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:55 am

she could also just you know ignore it
internethandle
ok

Postby inanimate object...alive! » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:19 am

the songs on this album suck so bad that courting white supremacists may be a legitimate sales strategy for her
inanimate object...alive!

Postby scurrydog » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:11 am

you know she has a team of people who fucking scour the internet for any takes on her. you don't have to look very hard for white supremacists holding her up as an icon for them.

it doesn't take much and doesn't really undercut sales from these types to come out and openly denounce white supremacism.

even fucking papa johns put out a statement denouncing white supremacists.

like, you can sue some small town dj for easy media points, but you can't openly denounce the "grab them by the pussy" president or other white people holding you up as a representative of white people holding down people of color.

at some point, you have to ask yourself are you really that scared of not being a pop star for white men, or do you just tacitly agree with them?
somewhere there's a fake me out there.
scurrydog
ok

PreviousNext

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.