android thread (first post has recommended apps now)

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby Honk For Dracula » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:53 pm

man my friend has the pixel 3. the photo quality is impressive

Honk For Dracula

Postby incoherent grunting » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:33 pm

fwiw my og pixel slays
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby The Priest » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:35 pm

yungboi wrote:tempted to snag a pair of Pixel 3's this week, has anyone had any bad experiences with it here?

fucked with one last week

not my price range but a really nice phone
Thank you for reading my posts ❤️

The Priest

Postby brent » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:23 pm

incoherent grunting wrote:fwiw my og pixel slays

ya overall great phone...my battery is total shit now tho. debating picking up the pixel 3 soon

brent

Postby kirito » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:28 pm

i still get 4 hrs of screen time on average
They say more money more problems. Bring on the problems. Bring on the problems. Bring on the muhfuckin problems.

kirito

Postby yungboi » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:49 am

i got a pixel 3. i never really took many pictures before and i'm finding myself taking way more pictures just on account of the camera being so good. i love night mode. also got a pixel stand at half off for the hell of it and while some things are cool after use, no way is it worth the retail price they're asking for it.

yungboi

Postby joe » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:28 am

brent wrote:
incoherent grunting wrote:fwiw my og pixel slays

ya overall great phone...my battery is total shit now tho. debating picking up the pixel 3 soon

my battery health seems to be fine 90% + after more than a year and a half. it's just android i guess.

joe

Postby sassafras socks » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:41 am

Had to spring for the pixel 3 on Google's thanksgiving sale since I could literally watch my p1 battery dropping by 1-2% every minute the screen was on. Would've been perfectly happy sticking with the OG if not for that issue. New phone is fine, if unexciting. The process of transferring over all my files and data was absurdly fast and all-encompassing, definitely impressed by that aspect.
sassafras socks

Postby brent » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:41 am

does everyone still just use Google play music to sync/play mp3s from yr home library?

brent

Postby brittle » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:52 am

i still use GPM, but i haven't syncing any music since i first signed up, like 5 years ago.

brittle

Postby joe » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:14 pm

i use gpm, but i only upload stuff they don't have in their catalog

joe

Postby brent » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:25 pm

fucc
sometimes i just want to shuffle my library but it just keeps playing like the same 20 songs over and over. i don't know what to do

brent

Postby incoherent grunting » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:26 pm

i use the wire, but i do use GPM as the player but i don't like to because it's so limited in functionality and i really wish someone would make a decent, basic music player that doesn't suck - (i've tried blackplayer and it sucks)
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby lockheed » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:35 pm

Classic Dog Avatar wrote:
yungboi wrote:tempted to snag a pair of Pixel 3's this week, has anyone had any bad experiences with it here?

fucked with one last week

not my price range but a really nice phone

By any chance did you go to that fucking weird Google hardware store popup on greene street in soho?
Nice day if it doesn't rain.

lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby brittle » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:39 pm

I'd say just bear with it, Brent.

The whole ecosystem is only supposed to last another month or so. So either they're just shuffling a bunch of stuff to move it over to an all encompassing service, or it's just gonna go away.

Either way, not much you can do other than sit tight.

brittle

Postby rap and country » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:09 am

rogers is giving me an (almost) free pixel 3 so i just did some reading

it is insane that they have no solution to using (real) headphones and charging at the same time

might just sell it and keep going with my oneplus3

rap and country
ok

Postby rap and country » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:20 am

like i was already aware of the lack of headphone jack and had grudgingly accepted USB-C headphones for general use + the stupid option of using the dongle when i wanted

but figuring out the charging thing should have been a prerequisite for removing the jack

rap and country
ok

Postby Bob511 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:22 am

I guess the addition of wireless charging was technically a solution.
Eric Roberts wrote:Hipinion. Hipinion? Hipinion...is hip.

Bob511

Postby Zurich » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:15 am

incoherent grunting wrote:i use the wire, but i do use GPM as the player but i don't like to because it's so limited in functionality and i really wish someone would make a decent, basic music player that doesn't suck - (i've tried blackplayer and it sucks)

Poweramp was the best, but he didn't update it forever. There is a beta build out now that isn't bad but it has more work to go.

Zurich

Postby Cronos » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:44 am

Foobar2000
Tone sincere also I would never troll or purposefully be antagonistic or anything on something serious.

Organic Croutons wrote:Cronos your sig quotes me btw why do I not get proper reference

Cronos

Postby Cronos » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:46 am

I actually bought a refurbished iPod video with a 512 GB SSD, put Rockbox on it, and am pretty happy with that as my music player now. Needing to buy a phone with a microSD slot is pretty limiting.
Tone sincere also I would never troll or purposefully be antagonistic or anything on something serious.

Organic Croutons wrote:Cronos your sig quotes me btw why do I not get proper reference

Cronos

Postby incoherent grunting » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:49 am

I guess it's been a while since I've tried any new player. I got Pulsar yesterday and it seems fine, at least you can re-tag files with it, which always frustrates me when you can't. Not sure yet if you can make playlists, or 'play next or anything' but seems fine.

Might try those other two, too just to see.

incoherent grunting

Postby warmjets » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:57 am

I've been using Poweramp for like 5 years with no problems but now it sucks ass with my S9. Basically I drag and drop files like normal and they show up in my library after doing a rescan but then when I play the file it stops working and disappears from my library. Really frustrating. Any other music player recs?

warmjets

Postby brittle » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:33 pm

rap and country wrote:like i was already aware of the lack of headphone jack and had grudgingly accepted USB-C headphones for general use + the stupid option of using the dongle when i wanted

but figuring out the charging thing should have been a prerequisite for removing the jack

i only ever charged with the headphones plugged in if i was using it to play music over the stereo.

15 dollar chromecast audio (https://store.google.com/us/product/chromecast_audio) dongle not only fixed that, but made it so my phone wasn't tied to my desk while i was lisenting to music.

makes taking phone calls a million times easier while streaming music too.

before i bought my bluetooth headphones and the chromecast audio, i was legit pissed at google for not supporting headphone jacks anymore, but now that life is so much better than it was with headphone jacks, part of me think it was just tough love. like, "i know this hurts, but you'll thank me later."

anker BT phones are only like 20 bucks. they're only about a solid C+ for sound quality, but they're great for exercise.

brittle

Postby powderfinger » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:14 pm

the lack of a headphone jack doesn't burn me on a day-to-day basis under circumstances I control, but there have been enough unexpected situations out in the world where I want to use an aux cable that it still pisses me off a lot

powderfinger

Postby Zurich » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:29 am

ok so i feel like the dev took the new Poweramp v3 out of beta and i wholeheartedly endorse it. it hasn't crashed at all, i love the new volume control, and everything else is the same/awesome from the previous poweramp. it's also fast as hell after the initial rescan which was only about 30 seconds (for ~60gb of tunes). i miss my old favorite skin but the default dark one is fine and i'm sure some will show up soon.

i'm a day 1 og pixel user and like some upthread, my battery is complete shit but frankly it's been bad since day 1 so shrug. i'm hoping to hold out for pixel 4 or whatever new good, not massive Fi-optimized phone with good storage/headphone jack rolls around.

Zurich

Postby blurst of times » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:01 am

picked up a refurb'd pixel 2 xl recently. it's pretty rad. the camera on this thing is nuts.

this is my first phone without a headphone jack, and so far it's not a huge deal since i mostly just listen to music at my desk, but the 3.5mm converter dongle is so small that i'm sure i'm gonna lose it soon enough. it's a pain to have to carry it around with me, but whatev
Last edited by blurst of times on Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

blurst of times
ride.

Postby iambic » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:04 am

also that dongle just stops working for people for no reason that Google seem to be able to address

iambic

Postby brittle » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:11 am

Everybody knows that a big problem with the USB C to 1/8" converter is that the socket eventually gets jammed with pocket lint right?

I have to scrape mine out with a needle or tiny paperclip every 4-6 months just to get the charger to work. Happens to mrs brittle's phone too, and she doesn't even put it in her pocket.

brittle

Postby brent » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:15 am

is there any particular reason to not go the budget route these days if all i ever do with my cell is listen to music and take photos of my cats and the occasional hiking trip?

brent

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley