i like king krule

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby brent » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:12 pm

i love it
brent

Postby ripersnifle » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:26 pm

Grumby wrote:it's an idiosyncratic mess but also held together pretty well.
yea.

NYT feature interview
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet
ripersnifle wrote:that aesthetic was tight
worrywort wrote:it's called the temple grandin
ripersnifle

Postby Grumby » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:35 pm

continually i'm amazed by some of the production stuff. it's just very interesting and off the cuff.... maybe a bit too much reverb/heavy delay but it has a special quality to it.
Grumby

Postby chowder julius » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:36 pm

i like king krule too
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImagebuy me thingsImageImageImage
DRAGONS wrote:its not my job to engage u in debate until u feel good about ur horrific views

chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby chowder julius » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:36 pm

took a stoned bath to the new album this weekend. highly recommended
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImagebuy me thingsImageImageImage
DRAGONS wrote:its not my job to engage u in debate until u feel good about ur horrific views

chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby Polygraph Shakira » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:06 am

He left the crime scene without the Motorola
Still had dreams of being young Franco Zola
For at least for now its all over
Yeah at least for now its all over

8-)
isobel wrote:im so smart because my head wasnt crushed at birth
Polygraph Shakira
the groosalugg

Postby The Emperor's Son » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:30 pm

feel like i'll never be as cool as biscuit town and everyone knows it's probably not that cool to actually be but still you wish you could project that image of cool
The Emperor's Son

Postby quartz » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm

i like king krule
ImageImageImageImage

I'm starting a BTEC in engineering at Tynemouth College
My thermos flask leaks parsnip soup on the metro clogging up the keys of my MacBook
quartz
The Rooster

Postby Grumby » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:30 pm

Grumby wrote:has it beeeeeen this long

guitar stanza at the end of this is so beautiful. lodged in my head atm. da-na-na-na-na dada naeee
Grumby

Postby Eugenics » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:46 pm

i've listened to the album like 5 times in the past couple days. really really digging the whole damn affair and the sequencing and ambiance melt all the rock, r&b, jazz, ambient and electronics together like its from some kinda drug mist atmosphere slime planet
Eugenics

Postby Grumby » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:44 pm

great article

https://www.spin.com/featured/king-krul ... interview/

Tell me about all the horns you have on this record.

This guy sent me a video of himself playing a saxophone under this bridge in East London. That night I was playing a show, and at the end of the show we were gonna have a jam. I told this guy that day to come down to the show, and that’s where I met Ignacio. He’s from Argentina. He was living in London at the time, and he came down and brought his baritone saxophone. That night we got together. We spent a lot of time together afterwards, and I invited him down to come play on some of the work that I was doing.

That was only a year ago that I met him. Now we’re like really best friends, in a way. I found my relationship with him really opened up my record because for years and years all of my friends and myself were just listening to quite a lot of electronic and hip-hop and house and garage and UK garage and two step. I was spending so much time on the computer and producing on my MPC rather than just playing. But he was a breath of fresh air, because we could sit down and I could just play guitar for hours and he could make it sound really good.
Grumby

Postby ripersnifle » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:34 pm

the Dirty Beaches shoutout/reference makes total sense.
i feel like that project was very influential, and we'll only continue to hear about it being formative for different artists like this.
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet
ripersnifle wrote:that aesthetic was tight
worrywort wrote:it's called the temple grandin
ripersnifle

Postby The Fool on the Hill » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:31 am

Sure the album has a cool atmosphere, but it's missing memorable melodies and hooks. I don't know, it sort of washes over you but nothing really sticks.
The Fool on the Hill

Postby Eugenics » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:06 am

oh, i found the czech one/dum surfer 7" for 5 bucks yesterday. stoked! i looked online and there are copies for just as cheap (minus shipping) from the official label sites as well - if anyone's interested!
Eugenics

Postby Grumby » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:28 pm

man i love when an album just rattles ur world a little bit.

(also i think there's a lot of melodic stuff, it's just very obscured by the general dourness. he's kind of half rapper/half singer on this thing. the lyrics are really good!)
Grumby

Postby internethandle » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:01 am

9.0 from p4k. good for him.
internethandle
ok

Postby The Emperor's Son » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:20 pm

yeah, i was definitely teetering between the "nice ambience but not enough tunes stick" and "i think about this a lot actually" and well, it's a pretty special bag of alien sound.

i want to make the comparison to blond from last year but i think it stops at atmosphere and that channel into a singular brainwave -- the songwriting is just slightly more immediate on blond and the celebrity around it set a very different expectation for the draw to really work
The Emperor's Son

Postby G_S » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:52 pm

thanks for posting that spin interview. love the part when he's talking about bingeing It's Always Sunny and he says
...I was like sleeping in the middle of the day and waking up to [hums theme song] rain on my window, dark, blinds down, Danny DeVito fucking lubed up, getting knackered out.
G_S

Postby dogshower » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:12 pm

this sound and vibe reminds me so much of hail to the thief, like a more woozy drunk version. its the guitar and drum lock step with the synths buzzing right below all the time. so good.
dogshower

Postby loaf angel » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:48 pm

yo I really love this. but I can be sold on atmosphere
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron
loaf angel

Postby hyperbole man » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:57 pm

really wish his philly show hadn't sold out
hyperbole man

Postby Grumby » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:41 pm

loaf angel wrote:yo I really love this. but I can be sold on atmosphere

i think there's a lot more than just atmosphere to it, there's a real emotional richness hidden deep beneath all of the murk. they're not pretty emotions or anything, more like dwelling in your own pile of personal morose conflict. the beats and punkier moments half-way through the record give it a needed dose of energy. idk all of it resonates with me a lot and it is my favorite album of the year unless something better comes along

also yeah the title track stood out to me as sounding a little radiohead-y
Grumby

Postby beefbroth inthe shitpipes » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:47 am

This thing is good. Jesus
beefbroth inthe shitpipes

Postby Mr. Jugdish » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:20 am

pretty weird album!

"One last song...given 2 an angel's son..."
-LaJon Witherspoon from Sevendust
Mr. Jugdish

Postby emiko » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:38 pm

I cant stop thinking about how it's 7 years later and I just realized this guy has the same name as the guy from Donkey Kong Country.
¬"Where do the rockets find planets? Where are are the dreams of the babies going? 'Cause you know they're all going fast." - Chan Marshall (Cat Power)
emiko

Postby easy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:19 pm

I wanna live in this album
easy
does it

Postby blurst of times » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:26 pm

i've listened to this several times now and i have mixed feelings about it. i think there are some great individual songs here, but those are surrounded by a lot of meandering. i like the atmosphere (and lyrics), but a lot of songs don't have enough else going on for me. i don't think atmosphere and hooks have to be mutually exclusive; the best moments on here are great at blending both (biscuit town, dum surfer, half man half shark). i think this would be an excellent 10-12 track album, but feels a little strained at close to 20.

i duno, i like this but i wish i liked it as much as everyone else here does
blurst of times

Postby Grumby » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:36 pm

cadet limbo is still probably my fav. the way it emulates a kinda 2-step/uk garage beat (is it live? or programmed? i can't even tell. probably both) mixed with those beautiful but wacked out chord flourishes. it almost has a bit of j dilla to it, as well. i'm thinking like "welcome 2 detroit" mostly when he was using more live instrumentation
Grumby

Postby easy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:37 pm

yeah cadet limbo is my #1 too
easy
does it

Postby The Emperor's Son » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:50 pm

blurst of times wrote:i've listened to this several times now and i have mixed feelings about it. i think there are some great individual songs here, but those are surrounded by a lot of meandering. i like the atmosphere (and lyrics), but a lot of songs don't have enough else going on for me. i don't think atmosphere and hooks have to be mutually exclusive; the best moments on here are great at blending both (biscuit town, dum surfer, half man half shark). i think this would be an excellent 10-12 track album, but feels a little strained at close to 20.

i duno, i like this but i wish i liked it as much as everyone else here does

i felt this way too and i'm not ashamed to admit i willed myself into playing it more to like it more because it got a lot things right that i don't hear attempted often even if it falls just a little short on tying it all together
The Emperor's Son

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All