Postby Celery Salt » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:17 am

Been watching highlights on NHK, this is my second season watching
Celery Salt

Postby Bud Onkadonk » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:32 am

Sounds cool. What's NHK?
my so kvlt life
Bud Onkadonk

Postby sisonfrisson » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:55 am

yea i watch casually. i was watching a lot a few years ago because i wanted to see if Baruto could get to yokozuna. still watch the highlights every now and then, love Hakuho!
sisonfrisson

Postby Permafrost » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:33 am

Hell yeah. Sumo is sick.
I used to go to every Tokyo tournament back when I was living there, and followed the sport closely during the asashoryu/hakuho reign. Great to see that Hakuho is still going strong. Always have a soft spot for Haramafuji.
I am extremely out of touch these days. I actually downloaded the NHK app recently with a view to catch up on sumo. Thanks for the reminder!
Permafrost

Postby Celery Salt » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:42 am

Bud Onkadonk wrote:Sounds cool. What's NHK?

NHK is a Japanese broadcasting company that is available on xfinity/Comcast and shows news about financial markets and stuff but also some cultural programming including Grand Sumo highlights and other loveable shows like Somewhere Street
Celery Salt

Postby Celery Salt » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:45 am

Permafrost wrote:Hell yeah. Sumo is sick.
I used to go to every Tokyo tournament back when I was living there, and followed the sport closely during the asashoryu/hakuho reign. Great to see that Hakuho is still going strong. Always have a soft spot for Haramafuji.
I am extremely out of touch these days. I actually downloaded the NHK app recently with a view to catch up on sumo. Thanks for the reminder!

Super cool! I am full of questions and observations about the cultural norms and traditions/ceremonies with the Grand Sumo tournament. If you're willing I'd love to ask some questions.
Celery Salt

Postby original floppy guy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:26 am

I watched a couple seasons when hakuho was coming up to challenge asashoryu, it was really entertaining. I remember when it was surprising that anybody could even approach asashoryu's dominance. Asashoryu was such a cutie mochi ball bad boy, sucks to learn he scandalized himself out of the sport.

Who did it better?

We should be confused but we're not.
original floppy guy
the drink moth

Postby Gooey Bechamel » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:41 am

Ahh shit has the tournament started? Me and my buds have been doing a sort of fantasy sumo for the last three bashos but I didn't think about it at all because of the hurricane.

I started watching the highlights in January so I have a soft spot for Kisenosato.
Gooey Bechamel

Postby original floppy guy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:33 am

Holy shit there are 4 active yokozunas now? That seems like too many.
original floppy guy
the drink moth

Postby bongo » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:49 am

sumo pounds on a bunch of levels
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby Gooey Bechamel » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:38 am

This Youtube channel compiles all the NHK highlights and has sick color commentary.
Gooey Bechamel

Postby Milk » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:32 am

original floppy guy wrote:I watched a couple seasons when hakuho was coming up to challenge asashoryu, it was really entertaining. I remember when it was surprising that anybody could even approach asashoryu's dominance. Asashoryu was such a cutie mochi ball bad boy, sucks to learn he scandalized himself out of the sport.

Who did it better?

dont know shit about sumo but was actually surprised how muscular that dude's arms were. I mean it's not like i figured they were just fat but yeah.

As a fan of pro wrestling i can't help but think what great monster heels those guys would make..... there was John Tenta years ago but i dont' know that where's ever been actual japanese guys
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby original floppy guy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:04 pm

Yeah man these guys are incredible athletes. A bunch of em bench 200kg and like to play soccer and shit. Seems like a lot of the best guys start somewhat big and athletic and slowly put on the pounds later for advantage.

I loved how dramatically asashoryu would slap his belt and stare dudes down before their match.

Thread got me watching clips all day and hakuho pulling shit like this in the following matches has me thinking yeah maybe he is a heel too:shock: I didn't think he had it in him.

Skip to 6 mins:

Skip to 3:30

original floppy guy
the drink moth

Return to Free-For-All