In the style of _________

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby Spooky Jim » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:11 am

I used to work with this dude in a butcher shop who was like a combination of Duffman and Al Bundy and looked exactly like Earl from Toe Jam and Earl, but he was super into 70's and 80's rock and when Van Halen would come on he'd do the shocka sign with his hands, stick out his tongue and go "alrighhhhhtt! let's rock!!" One time "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" came on and he yells "alright! Elvis! I love Elvis!" I told him it was in fact by Queen, which he refused to believe until he looked it up on his phone, which blew his skull wide open. Total don don'd for him. Anyway, I like these moments when you realize a song by one famous artist is completely in the style of another famous artist; perhaps to the point of you just assuming it is them; others perhaps too trapped in a different decade to really capture the other artists vibe. So I am trying to get a running list of these going. It should be more than just an artist in a genre though, but completely mimicking another artist's gig to the point of impersonation. To start, here are some pretty blatant ones:

Billy Joel
Uptown Girl - Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons
Piano Man - Bob Dylan
You May be Right - Rolling Stones

Beatles
Lady Madonna - Fats Domino

Bruno Mars
Uptown Funk - Stevie Wonder

I know this is a shitty list, but these seem to don on me when I am driving and then I forget later and it is really only clear when listening. I remember all the Billy Joel ones cause they play him on the classic rock station in my area all the time.
Spooky Jim

Postby Grey Poupon » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:33 am

Talking Heads do Joy Division (the story goes they did it solely having read about what the band sounds like, but I think that's bullshit)
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
Grey Poupon

Postby Brevity » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:42 am

Spooky Jim wrote:
Billy Joel
Piano Man - Bob Dylan

I'd add "It's Still Rock n Roll" - Elvis Costello
Brevity

Postby Spooky Jim » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:47 am

Brevity wrote:
Spooky Jim wrote:
Billy Joel
Piano Man - Bob Dylan

I'd add "It's Still Rock n Roll" - Elvis Costello

Oh, that's good. I actually think every hit song by Billy Joel fits in here, but I can't place all of them perfect.

We didn't start the fire is someone else and there have been moments where I say "wait a minute...this is..." but I can't remember who. I want to say it is a rip off of a Bruce Springsteen song, but which one would it be?

Also, he has another song that I think is a Elton John song, but I don't remember which.
Spooky Jim

Postby Spooky Jim » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:48 am

Grey Poupon wrote:Talking Heads do Joy Division (the story goes they did it solely having read about what the band sounds like, but I think that's bullshit)

Damn, I hadn't put these together before. Story sounds bunk though is right.
Spooky Jim

Postby milano boy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:49 am

i still don't believe that stuck in the middle with you isn't by steve miller band. i remember when my dad told me it was a band called stealers wheel i was in shock
repus lumen
milano boy

Postby Spooky Jim » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:59 am

metersk wrote:i still don't believe that stuck in the middle with you isn't by steve miller band. i remember when my dad told me it was a band called stealers wheel i was in shock

Wait, this is a good one, but I thought it was them doing Bob Dylan, not Steve Miller Band.
Spooky Jim

Postby Grey Poupon » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:00 am

Stealers Wheel was Gerry Rafferty's band, they had some great tunes so worth checking out a "greatest hits" if you're into 70's brit rock like Badfinger. Gerry went on to a solo career (and Baker St)

which leads me to this song..

which I think had an influence on..
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
Grey Poupon

Postby Spooky Jim » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:03 am

The wikipedia page even describes it as:

a dismissive tale of a music industry cocktail party written and performed as a pastiche of Bob Dylan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuck_in_ ... e_with_You

And woah, I always knew it was by Stealer's Wheel but didn't ever know Gerry Rafferty was in the band.
Spooky Jim

Postby babycrime » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:59 am

babycrime

Postby tatiana maslany » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:10 am

there was an indie movie in the 90s where the guy on the radio, i think it was mitch hedberg, plays that song and says it's gerry rafferty

total don don
do you love me like i love me
tatiana maslany
beautiful nihilist animal

Postby thanks » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:05 am

it was in Reservior Dogs and Steven Wright
thanks

Postby Cone » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:51 am

Fool in the Rain by Led Zeppelin is pretty much a Doobie Brothers song with less vocal harmony.
Cone

Postby Spooky Jim » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:30 am

babycrime wrote:

:D

I am such a sucker for anything playing off of Miller-Boyett production stuff.
Spooky Jim

Postby Spooky Jim » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:34 am

Oh yeah, Bauhaus's Bella Lugosi's Dead is Syd Barret's Pink Floyd.

Apparently I only notice these if the band's name starts with a "B".
Spooky Jim

Postby goldmatt » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:39 am

Supposedly each track on this album is in the style of a different band, but this is the most obvious one (The Hollies).

goldmatt

Postby Eugenics » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:06 pm

i thought this was the talking heads

Eugenics

Postby Spooky Jim » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:41 pm

Eugenics wrote:i thought this was the talking heads

Yeah, the vocal part especially nails it. We can cross check it with this handy talking heads song writing reference sheet too

tanya headon wrote:1) Pick a subject. This should be something very mundane. The television, perhaps, or animals. Hey! We’ll pick computers.
2) Write about your topic in a simple style. Say nothing that is not obvious. How about – You can type on computers. Your words appear on screen.
3) HERE IS THE IMPORTANT PART. You now have to turn your kindergarten words into a penetrating reflection of the strangeness of modern life. You do this by singing them in a bug-eyed neurotic voice.
3A) If you don’t make the delivery sufficiently nutty you’ll have written a Kraftwerk song instead. And that would never do.
4) Embellish your initial lyrics, if you like, with extra ones of even more staggering obviousness. So your song on computers might now run: “You can type! / On computers. / THEY DON’T TYPE BACK! / Your words show up on the screen / People say the screen is black.”
5) Play weedy approximation of funk/African/Brazilian music behind devastatingly insightful words.
6) Approach bank. Laugh.

Checks out.

I also remembered that Young Turks by Rod Stewart is just a Dire Straits song. But also, War on Drugs is just Dire Straits too. There are two versions of this; there are the instances where a band just plays in the style of a musician they like that De Lux, or the XTC album, the Beatles did that a lot. But with Rod Stewart doing Young Turks I feel like it was just some exec was saying "Hey, Dire Straits are real hot right now, what if we can get Roddy singing on what is essentially one of their tracks!" Maybe the distinction between the two isn't really that great, both are trying to capitalize on the success of something previously done by another artist, but the later seems done with sheer marketability in mind.
Spooky Jim

Postby jewels » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:49 pm

Spooky Jim wrote:
Oh, that's good. I actually think every hit song by Billy Joel fits in here, but I can't place all of them perfect.

We didn't start the fire is someone else and there have been moments where I say "wait a minute...this is..." but I can't remember who. I want to say it is a rip off of a Bruce Springsteen song, but which one would it be?

gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?
jewels

Postby hbb » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:05 pm

Horse With No Name
hbb

Postby fuckles » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:08 pm

Spooky Jim wrote:One time "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" came on and he yells "alright! Elvis! I love Elvis!" I told him it was in fact by Queen, which he refused to believe until he looked it up on his phone, which blew his skull wide open. Total don don'd for him.

this is nuts, i thought that song was elvis too

wtf
Cyril Sneer wrote:INSANE post. I could literally read it for hours.
fuckles

Postby Spooky Jim » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:17 pm

hbb wrote:Horse With No Name

America doing Neil Young? Is that it?

Also, Jewels, thank you. We didn't start the fire is R.E.M. Makes sense too, given it was released in '89.
Spooky Jim

Postby Pope Laserblast IV » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:28 pm

pavement's entire career
Pope Laserblast IV

Postby Eugenics » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:35 pm

i always knew better because we had the record growing up, and im kinda not surprised by it, but ive encountered so many people along the way that think mr blue sky is a beatles song.
Eugenics

Postby goldmatt » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:44 pm

jewels wrote:
Spooky Jim wrote:

Last edited by goldmatt on Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goldmatt

Postby Spooky Jim » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:44 pm

laserblast wrote:pavement's entire career

I never listened to pavement much. Who were the doing? A rehash of the same group over and over, or every song chameleons a different group?
Spooky Jim

Postby goldmatt » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:46 pm

Spooky Jim wrote:
laserblast wrote:pavement's entire career

I never listened to pavement much. Who were the doing? A rehash of the same group over and over, or every song chameleons a different group?

goldmatt

Postby inmate » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:57 pm

which muse song sounds the most like radiohead
inmate

Postby jewels » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:28 pm

I thought this was Carol King for years

gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?
jewels

Postby Spooky Jim » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:46 pm

This one is just straight up plagiarism.

Spooky Jim

Next

Return to Free-For-All