Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Cone » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:13 pm

Our beloved Griffin family is now in their sixteenth season! Can you believe it?

Many years ago I made a pact with my older brother that, no matter how insufferable this show became, we would vow to stay up to date with every episode until Family Guy was taken off the air. So I'll keep this thread updated with summaries and screen caps as each new episode airs so that you may take a glimpse into this horrible burden I have placed upon myself.

Family Guy S16E01 - "Emmy Winning Episode" (Aired 10/01/17)

One of the many running gags on Family Guy is the continuous acknowledgement by the main characters of the show's failure to win an Emmy Award in either of the categories for Outstanding Animated Program or Outstanding Comedy Series. The reference was first made in the 9th episode of season 2 which aired in 2000, right before the show was briefly cancelled by Fox, only to be quickly revived due to the overwhelming praise the show received during it's syndication on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim.

17 years later, the show has still yet to receive a win in either of the "coveted" categories. In response, we have Family Guy's "Emmy Winning Episode", in which the Griffin family decides to alter the content of their program to pander to the Emmy voters. Before embarking on their "for your consideration campaign", Peter Griffin orders his family to get all of their "pukes and farts out", and they gladly oblige.

The episode continues as the cast parodies award winning series' such as Transparent (a good portion of the first act revolves around Peter's decision to undertake gender reassignment to please the Academy voters and it's just as tasteful as you can imagine), Modern Family (Family Guy's writers have a notorious grudge against Modern Family's acclaim), and Breaking Bad (each Family Guy episode takes over a year to produce I believe, so the show's attempts at social commentary are always embarrassingly outdated, despite always being delivered as if each joke is a hot and fresh controversial take), as well as other acclaimed series, the appeals of which appear to be completely lost on the Family Guy writing team.

In conclusion this episode sets us up for another exciting season of Family Guy, full of desperation and tonedeaf satire of last year's news.

Jesus Christ how is this show still around
Cone

Postby Beautiful Jugdish » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:24 pm

I’m gonna keep an eye on this thread
I've hit rock bottom!
Beautiful Jugdish

Postby Shalabi » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:26 pm

the last episode I watched was S08E17, the 'bottle episode' where stewie and Brian are locked in the bank vault and no comedy happens. simply cannot believe that that is almost the midway point of the series.
Shalabi

Postby Bartatua » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:38 pm

not seeing any of the promised screencaps
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby Cone » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:42 pm

Bartatua wrote:not seeing any of the promised screencaps

Yeah I just realized I submitted this thread without adding them. Gonna upload a couple in a minute and skimming back through the episode to see if there’s any others worth grabbing. Wasn’t the most visually stimulating episode.
Cone

Postby Bartatua » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:43 pm

just be more careful next time
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby Cone » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:46 pm

Bartatua wrote:just be more careful next time

This is the Family Guy thread, carelessness is part of the aesthetic.
Cone

Postby ~> :? :? » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:47 pm

had 0 clue this was sstill on tv
~> :? :?
ride.

Postby Bartatua » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:47 pm

would also be interested in a thread like this on recent episodes of the simpson
or anything really
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby Cone » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:58 pm

Here are a few S16E01 screengrabs

Peter prepares for gender reassignment surgery with his family and friends

Peter Griffin's casting couch (they just threw this one in with the various clips of them parodying Emmy winning TV shows)

Writer Aaron Sorkin "walks and talks" with Peter as he explains why Family Guy sucks
Cone

Postby FourLegsGood » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:04 pm

I feel assured in saying this isn't the absolute nadir of modern television. No big fan of this show, though.
easy wrote:GOD DAMN IT
FourLegsGood

Postby Cone » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:06 pm

Oh yeah, the "best" joke of the episode was the opening gag, where the Griffin's are watching the show "Vedder Call Saul". Eddie Vedder sang the circumstances of a DUI to Saul Goodman to the tune of Even Flow.

Cone

Postby fuckles » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:07 pm

brain died?
Cyril Sneer wrote:INSANE post. I could literally read it for hours.
fuckles

Postby Cone » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:08 pm

yeah for like two or three episodes.

The intended lesson was that animated life is fragile
Cone

Postby scrambled » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:11 pm

anyone keep up with american dad once it went to tbs?
scrambled

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:14 pm

excited to be along for the ride of this thread
Pops Freshenmeyer

Postby SonicBoom » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:39 pm

I watch American Dad pretty religiously, but Family Guy is a show I watch only super stoned with my brother on demand at my parents house during holidays.
SonicBoom

Postby scrambled » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:56 pm

why did american dad decide to keep the strict formula of always having an annoying and stupid steve and friends b-plot for every single episode? that's when it lost me
scrambled

Postby Riverchrist » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:17 am

Shalabi wrote:the last episode I watched was S08E17, the 'bottle episode' where stewie and Brian are locked in the bank vault and no comedy happens. simply cannot believe that that is almost the midway point of the series.

I remember this premise, which means I saw this during a troubling time when I cycled through every free shitty show on Hulu.

(The summer camp series with David Hasselhoff's daughter might have been good but I don't trust the judgment of that self.)
Riverchrist

Postby Cone » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:45 pm

If I remember correctly, Seth McFarlane has said in interviews that he's especially proud of that episode because of how it challenged the concept of what they could do with just two characters in one location for a whole episode, or some dumb bullshit like that.

Anyway the last act of that episode is dedicated to Brian literally eating Stewie's feces so well done, Family Guy writers.
Cone

Postby Cone » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:54 am

Family Guy Season 16 Episode 02 - Foxx in the Men House

Peter becomes friends with a cool, handsome paramedic named Stryker Foxx. Wrapped up in his newfound "coolness," he soon dumps Quagmire, Joe and Cleveland.

This episode begins with the Griffin family dining together at a hibachi restaurant, Brian the dog mentions that this is their first family outing since they got tickets to sit court side at an NBA game. (There is a flashback of the family sitting in their seats watching the game when a player leaps on top of them to keep the ball in bounds. He apologizes to them and gets up, revealing that Meg is now apparently in a third trimester pregnancy due to the incident.) Peter excuses himself from the table to use the restroom, accidentally going into the women's room due to his confusion of the doors being labeled "Geishas" and "Samurai". He immediately realizes his mistake but decides to stay and use it, noting the cleanliness of the facility and the fact that there "aren't any swatstikas carved into the toilet seat." He makes a decision to exclusively use women's restrooms from that point on.

There are a series of vignettes in which Peter uses other ladies rooms, ultimately ending with Peter taking a long bathroom break to watch the entire first season of House of Cards on an iPad held by his infant son, Stewie, whom he hangs from the stall coat hanger. Peter tries to stand up, realizing his legs have fallen asleep and stumbles forward out of the stall, cracking his head on the bathroom sink. He regains consciousness with the aid of a handsome paramedic named Stryker Foxx, the "coolest guy ever." Peter and Stryker then discover that they each wear matching halves of a "Best Friends" coin pendant. It turns out that Peter took his half off of the body of a dead surfer, Stryker's childhood friend Cody.

Peter immediately befriends Stryker, changing his way of dressing and speaking as to fit in with Stryker and his cool friends such as "1997 George Clooney". He begins avoiding his regular drinking buddies Quagmire, Cleveland, and Joe. They quickly discover that Peter is lying to them about having a new friend because he is embarrassed by them not being as cool as he is and renounce their friendship. Peter and his new friend then decide to go "wingsuit flying" in a canyon together. Peter is uneasy about the dangerous feat and Stryker says he will go first to show Peter how easy it is. He leaps off a cliff and flies straight into a rock formation, dying immediately upon impact.

Having lost his cool new friend, Peter returns to his usual bar, only to be turned away by his old pals. He decides the only way to win back their affection is by wingsuit flying (for some reason). They find out his plan and go to stop him before he can jump. Peter apologizes to his friends and they make up before Peter slips off the edge of the cliff, ultimately recovering with his wingsuit and completing the same stunt that Stryker died attempting. Peter then hits a tree and falls to the ground. A sack of nickles falls out of the sky and lands directly on his testicles.

The episode closes with Peter back with his friends at the bar, his head wrapped in a bandage. He apologizes to them once again for breaking their friendship so he could hang out with Stryker, only to find out that he's been in a coma for the past two weeks after the ladies restroom incident and dreamed the entire thing.

The End.

Here are some screenshots:

An Anthropologie employee melts after challenging Peter to think of something they don't have in the store. He responds with "You don't have black customers."

Peter unconscious after his fall in the restroom

Peter meets Stryker, who serves him a margarita

Peter and Stryker become friends

Peter identifies Stryker's body after his wingsuit accident
Cone

Postby Kenny » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:58 am

How did Brian get back?

I'll throw out a guess that Stewie went back in time to grab him just before the accident
Image REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS ImageImage
Never forget, other opinions are available
Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby mcwop23 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:05 am

brian died?
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby Cone » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:26 am

Kenny wrote:How did Brian get back?

I'll throw out a guess that Stewie went back in time to grab him just before the accident

Yeah he destroyed his time machine before Brian died but then was able to steal a piece for the time machine from a past Stewie that was visiting the future (Stewie’s present) and went back to save Brian
Cone

Postby antoine » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:37 am

this show has so much contempt for its audience. (and everyone and everything, apparently)
antoine

Postby antoine » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:39 am

if this show wasn't "an institution" i wonder if it'd get shit for its vile racism and shit
antoine

Postby Cone » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:39 am

It really would be fascinating to be a fly on the wall in the Family Guy writers room
Cone

Postby Kenny » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:51 am

I wonder how often "that'll fill 3 minutes" comes up
Image REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS ImageImage
Never forget, other opinions are available
Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby Cone » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:01 am

Family Guy Season 16 Episode 03 - Nanny Goats

The Griffins get a nanny for the kids, courtesy of Lois' parents, which gives Peter and Lois the opportunity to reconnect.

Lois' parents decide to intervene after Peter approaches the chore of mowing the lawn by instead buying a herd of goats to eat the grass while he drinks beer. The goats end up destroying the Griffin's house and one kidnaps Stewie and drives away with him in a Toyota Tercel. Seeing that Lois is clearly the only responsible member of the household, her parents hire a nanny to take care of the children. The nanny arrives, and after Peter immediately sexually harasses her attractive uber driver, the nanny is revealed to be a cranky and homely woman named Natalia. Peters son Chris then approaches Natalia in the same manner that Peter did to the uber driver.

After beginning her work, Natalia reveals to Stewie that the true reason she is in the United States is to murder Fievel Mousekewits of An American Tail fame. Fievel is in fact living under the Griffin's home under the name Frank Maxwell. However he is immediately killed by a car bomb planted by Mickey Mouse, who calls him a "Jew Mouse". Natalia turns out to actually be a very good caretaker and has the Griffin children being obedient and productive in no time, giving Peter and Lois time to be alone together and go out for dinner. Fans of the show will recall that Peter and Lois' marriage is built upon an incredibly mutually abusive relationship, both mentally and physically. However, with their stress free time to reconnect, they become close again and begin pointing out flaws in the relationships of their married friends. On a relationship high, Lois and Peter drunkenly book a weekend getaway together. But right before they are scheduled to leave, they both realize that maybe they've been spending too much time together and are becoming bored with their relationship again. They proceed to have an awful and resentful time on their getaway.

Meanwhile, a swarm of hitmen from the Belaruse security force descend upon the Griffin home to assassinate Natalia. She instantly flees, grabbing Stewie and telling Meg and Chris to hide. As they escape, Brian the dog is killed by a stray bullet through the chest. Natalia carjacks Peter's friends children and leads the assassins on an action packed vehicle chase ending at a landing strip where there is a plane awaiting them. Once in the air, she attaches a parachute bag to Stewie and throws him out the side of the plane. He lands gracefully on the Griffin's front step.

Peter and Lois return and upon seeing their family, share a smile and hold hands. Brian the dog (who inexplicably survived his apparently fatal gunshot wound with no sign of injury) and asks how the trip was. Peter and Lois laugh and tell him it was terrible.

Peter meets the new nanny

Natalia discovers Fievel Mousekewitz living under the Griffin house

Lois and Peter surprised by Natalia's effect on the family

Brian gets shot
Cone

Postby mariavesperi » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:15 am

the screenshots truly help bring this to life
He captured the imagination of people all around the globe.
mariavesperi

Next

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.