Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby sailormoonvillain666@aol.com » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:51 pm

don't think a lot of ppl open the anxiety thread and this branches outside that but does anyone have good recs for stuff I can listen to on my phone when I sit in a nice park? I've got a bunch of work books and tapes with breathing exercises my psych gave me but i want to try and branch out of 'breathing so u don't cry on the train' to how to sleep at night without feeling doom forever. I was going to just get the great courses book on audible as I liked the one they did on Vikings so surely they can help with my brain as well but maybe one of the mystic bros are helpful here with some good YouTube vids.
remember to please don't feed the trolls ;)
sailormoonvillain666@aol.com
(◠‿◠✿)(◠‿◠✿) kvlt (✿◠‿◠)(✿◠‿◠)

Postby Grendel » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:57 pm

The technique I find myself using is the body scan. I was taught this one by a therapist but Google shows a lot of different guides for it:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=body+scan+meditations&oq=body+scan+meditations&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Maybe you already use this one tho? I was also taught the breathing ones as well.
Grendel

Postby dreamshake » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:58 pm

Tara Brach's podcast is really helpful for me. It's a mixture of lectures and exercises. very reassuring when I feel overwhemled by the world and my shortcomings.
hologram ride the whip
dreamshake

Postby scramble » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:00 pm

this is a nice, short exercise which should work well in an outdoors/public setting:

https://soundcloud.com/onbeing/bell-sound-meditation-with
scramble

Postby Catullus » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:07 pm

Body scan is good.

I recommend relaxation mix on spotify, I use it to sleep. The sleep mix is good too.

I use this dudes videos and stuff:

There's a mindfullness app as well.

I should post the list of resources from my intensive outpatient program they are awesome
opi wrote:like i don't think it's possible for catullus to be duplicitous, whereas pretty much every other poster at the time struck me as having one foot in shinra
Catullus
Our McGonagall

Postby internethandle » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:13 pm

- online MBSR, as linked by tarantula in his sig, is what got me started a few years ago with a daily sitting practice. it has a really nice guided body scan and seated meditation, among a few others, but doing the course itself is also worth it if you have time to commit (weekly readings/videos/etc.): https://palousemindfulness.com/

- the app 'insight timer' has an insane amount of guided meditations available of all kinds and varieties, both vipassana/mindfulness-based and not, as well as just being a good timer to use. the social media-esque function is pretty cool too, i guess - it shows you who is meditating with you and where in the world.

- shinzen young is one of my favorite meditation/mindfulness teachers, in that he's really suited to those of us who are overly cerebral and need a lot of further detail about what various techniques are doing and how to do them. that being said, he can also be a little too detailed for some and i've found myself having to unplug from his techniques every once in a while and going back to more simple instructions when i find myself getting too driven or having a lot of expectation. anyway, here's his main manual of his various techniques, which he breaks down into "see" (image-based thoughts, sights) "hear" (auditory-based thoughts, sounds) and "feel" (emotions felt in the body, body sensations), broadly: http://www.shinzen.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/FiveWaystoKnowYourself_ver1.6.pdf

- sometimes i just watch old dharma talks of shunryu suzuki
internethandle
ok

Postby Ted Pikul » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:17 pm

I like Dr. Miles Neale
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"
Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby Pokemon Mastah » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:26 pm

Co-sign the rep for the Insight Timer app. Probably my favourite app to be honest
Pokemon Mastah

Postby internethandle » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:35 pm

oh yeah, and just consume most anything from pema chodron, she's great, especially if you're faced with a chronic illness or difficulty. youtube has a lot of stuff.
internethandle
ok

Postby madness and chaos » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:21 pm

i listen to matthewdavid mindflight meditations on dublab. fr. never found anything else that gets me as deep as that.
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby orenji » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:17 pm

I feel like if you need your computer or an app on your phone for this you're done by it wrong.
かかってこい!
orenji

Postby Sobieski » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:22 pm

orenji wrote:I feel like if you need your computer or an app on your phone for this you're done by it wrong.

there's like many roads to enlightenment, man
namaste
Last edited by Sobieski on Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smoke less weed
get more sleep
always tip %20
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby conductor » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:23 pm

Yeah why bother? You nobodies should just suffer!
conductor

Postby conductor » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:25 pm

I'm part of a support group-ish class right now and use Insight Timer daily. Both things have been immensely helpful, especially with anxiety/avoidance/insomnia. I need the social aspect of it all for now.
conductor

Postby Milk » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:30 pm

Grendel wrote:The technique I find myself using is the body scan. I was taught this one by a therapist but Google shows a lot of different guides for it:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=body+scan+meditations&oq=body+scan+meditations&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Maybe you already use this one tho? I was also taught the breathing ones as well.

my shrink tried to get me to do this but i got nothing out if it. I am meditation proof apparently. I gave it a decent shot. The jacobson technique, body scan, proper meditation. nothing.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby internethandle » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:40 pm

orenji wrote:I feel like if you need your computer or an app on your phone for this you're done by it wrong.

checking/comparison mind is a trap!
internethandle
ok

Postby internethandle » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:44 pm

but yeah, sure, most people do their deepest work in silent meditation, but many find guided meditations helpful at the beginning, and some never stop using them. the app is literally, at its core, a timer so you can sit for a specified time in silence, it just happens to have a guided meditation library/social component built in.
internethandle
ok

Postby largecrow » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:35 am

A meditation technique that I have gotten a lot of mileage out of re: calming the nervous system in public is to breath in/out evenly to the beat of a song, and then ever y 5 breaths (or whatever) increase the length of each inhale/exhale by a full beat. then kind of adjusting dynamically for a new song and repeating indefinitely. sounds silly/simple/obvious/intuitive but I dunno it does the trick where a lot of other meditation breathing stuff just tenses me up/ ends up being another mental canvas for my neuroses.
largecrow

Postby tarantula » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:16 am

i still do 15 mins in the morning and 15 mins before sleep (m-f)

and i'm definitely better off for it

recently i've gotten to the point where i start seeing visions if back pain doesn't creep in (which happens unpredictably)

the visions are always fast and sort of out my control, and probably should be discounted

but they're way too interesting to ignore... my new goal is to slow them down...and start asking questions
tarantula

Postby Kenny » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:11 am

Some people say that Alan Watts doesn't get buddhism completely right, but I don't care I really like his insights
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage
Never forget, other opinions are available
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Grey Poupon » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:26 am

I’ve found ther s no one great trick other than sticking to doing it regularly
Which sadly I’ve lapsed at at the moment

But it really is like any other skill, physical or mental, practise makes improvement/builds ‘strength’ at getting into the mindset quicker and less prone to distracting thoughts midway
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
Grey Poupon

Postby Kwisatz Haderach » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:40 am

Kwisatz Haderach

Postby doublethink0 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:49 am

doublethink0

Postby new blood, old hat » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:46 am

I watch/listen to a lot of Thich Nhat Hanh videos on youtube

new blood, old hat
ok

Postby wolfie » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:15 am

One thing that doesn’t get talked about a lot is hearing. I find that really paying attention to sound, and also the “space between the sounds”, is fantastic.

You can apply this to other senses I’m sure, but I find sound particularly interesting.

I mean you’re here and alive and have these sensory devices, explore using them.

I realize this isn’t like “meditation” but all this shit fits together in the bigger picture.
אחד

"our in-toilet cameras show people are shitting all over these toilets"
wolfie

Postby wolfie » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:17 am

When you’re losing your shit try the 4-5-8 or whatever breathing. Breathe in for 4 seconds, hold breath for 5 seconds, slowly blow out for 8 seconds or whatever. This naturally calms your ass down and slows your heart rate and stuff.
אחד

wolfie

Postby wolfie » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:22 am

Remember don’t get too caught up in trying to “find the best” meditation resources to “achieve the best meditative state” or whatever, cause that’s just more bullshit and is counterintuitive to the whole thing anyways.

Jon Kabat Zinn has a good book called everywhere you go there you are. And mindfulness in plain English by gunaratana is good. But remember everything is flexible as far as practice goes so don’t get hung up on fucking execution. Like some books talking about how you gotta sit exactly one way and yada yada yada and that’s just more bullshit to get hung up on.
אחד

wolfie

Postby Kenny » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:23 am

How do I meditate now that I have tinnitus and if I stop paying attention to stuff I start paying attention to my tinnitus
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage
Never forget, other opinions are available
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby wolfie » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:23 am

Remember STOP TRYING TO ACHIEVE SHIT THROUGH MEDITATION
אחד

wolfie

Postby adam sampler » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:28 am

about to start Jon Kabat-Zinn's Full Catastrophe Living, will report back
adam sampler

Next

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....