How does it feel to be an American?

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby mascotte » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:51 am

I know just one American in person, but he calls himself a New Yorker. How do you guys feel with your nationality? Your country is a fucking nuclear superpower with a dozen of huge aircraft carriers, a few of you went to the moon, lots of you make great music, you invented jazz, blues and hip hop, you killed almost all the indians and enslaved black people. You produced the most sexy cars in the whole world. You've got Hollywood and Colorado canyon and NYC and Detroit techno. How is it to be an American? In Poland ppl love Americans in general, although they speak too loud. I guess we loved Reagan and westerns. I like this board and I wish I met some of you in a real wold.
mascotte

Postby Guy Incognito » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:52 am

he's right, new York isn't REAL america
wendy wrote:It is not dank
Guy Incognito
Infernal Dinosaur

Postby Shotfrog » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:53 am

As one of the few who went to the moon, I feel great about it.
Shotfrog

Postby easy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:53 am

easy
does it

Postby Guy Incognito » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:53 am

anyway, it's pretty depressing and these days also regularly terrifying even for a guy like me. but yeah it's nice having Colorado canyons and jazz (can't speak for Detroit techno)
Guy Incognito
Infernal Dinosaur

Postby mascotte » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:54 am

Baudrillard said you're not even real
mascotte

Postby Guy Incognito » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:55 am

a more interesting question is how does it feel to be a Polish?
Guy Incognito
Infernal Dinosaur

Postby internetstrange » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:55 am

i guess, to me , it is like being a sstudent at Hogwarts
iambic wrote:no don't make those posts
internetstrange
mood ring

Location: a forked path where the Perseus and Sagittarius Arms of the Milky Way come together.

Postby Mr. Science » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:55 am

Is it referred to as "Colorado Canyon" elsewhere?

Here it's the Grand Canyon.
Mr. Science
Prometheus sucks.

Postby universe » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:02 am

What is America
universe
dad

Postby universe » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:03 am

I've spent more time in Europe than in the non-New England parts of the US.
universe
dad

Postby inmate » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:03 am

it feels alright i guess
inmate

Postby separator » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:03 am

I feel very lucky to have been born in the US.
separator

Postby internetstrange » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:05 am

i think,
Last edited by internetstrange on Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
internetstrange
mood ring

Location: a forked path where the Perseus and Sagittarius Arms of the Milky Way come together.

Postby VHB » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:06 am

Not as good as it used to, to be honest
galactagogue wrote:i usually just assume no one is into me, it makes it easier to be myself.

Suspension Bridge wrote:Werewolf was the best thing to happen to me in 2015 and that includes my wedding

bill wrote:every hooker deserves an Oscar for faking orgasms i swear to god
VHB
VHS

Postby shark week » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:07 am

i'd love to meet you in the real world, mascotte

i need to go exploring in that forest you're next to
It's dark and you want to go home?
shark week

Postby Mr. Jugdish » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:07 am

walmart is pretty sick they've got like basically everything

"One last song...given 2 an angel's son..."
-LaJon Witherspoon from Sevendust
Mr. Jugdish

Postby internetstrange » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:10 am

i wonder if other countries have experiences that feel the same way as americans feel when they learn that someone is canadian
internetstrange
mood ring

Postby brothertony » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:11 am

mascotte wrote:You produced the most sexy cars in the whole world.

absolutely outrageous accusation
brothertony

Postby internetstrange » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:13 am

internetstrange
mood ring

Postby delgriffith » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:13 am

easy wrote:

Thank you.
delgriffith

Postby spix et chicho » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:13 am

universe wrote:What is America

CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ
spix et chicho

Postby Kenny » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:14 am

The biggest perspective I've gained on America since leaving is how thick the bubble is while living in America.

Living in the the UK I easily hear news from all over the world. When I was in America, I only heard the biggest stories that didn't involve America, and usually when they play into Americans insecurities. America does not think about any other country as much as any country thinks about America. Americans are obsessed with America. I think the biggest shock of America losing it's global hegemony will be when Americans finally have to pay attention to other countries.

I've been indoctrinated pretty heavily growing up so even with all my disappointments, I think somewhere in my "heart" I have the feeling that "America isn't the greatest country in the world, but it COULD be" I guess that is what gets me so hard is that we have all the ingredients. Europe has so many ingrained problems that are holding them back but they are doing federalism so much better than we are (lol at Brexit).

I wonder what it's like to not be American all the time, still.
Last edited by Kenny on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS Image

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:kenny, can't tell if you're joking or not
Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby oh! it's max! » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:14 am

feels bad man
seriously.
oh! it's max!

Postby internetstrange » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:14 am

internetstrange
mood ring

Postby Klint » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:17 am

We're a very weird and bad country but as a white, cis-gender, straight male there's nowhere else I'd rather have been born.
mites wrote:going back to ruining my life with drugs and drink and listening to public image ltd
Klint

Postby Berzelius Windrip » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:20 am

Klint wrote:We're a very weird and bad country but as a white, cis-gender, straight male there's nowhere else I'd rather have been born.

why not switzerland?
Berzelius Windrip

Postby quartz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:20 am

In America, I know I am free. I drive my sexy car to a debtor's prison where a landlord has leverage over my family's finances, but it is my decision. I consented to it. I deserve it. And after work, I take a hike in the hills and breathe in the ash and char from the numerous wildfires happening around me along with the smog and carbon monoxide from overproduction of sexy cars and you know what? I love it. Because I am free and I made this decision.
ImageImageImageImage

I'm starting a BTEC in engineering at Tynemouth College
My thermos flask leaks parsnip soup on the metro clogging up the keys of my MacBook
quartz
The Rooster

Postby Klint » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:21 am

Berzelius Windrip wrote:
Klint wrote:We're a very weird and bad country but as a white, cis-gender, straight male there's nowhere else I'd rather have been born.

why not switzerland?

I like pizza, cheeseburgers, and southern food too much.
mites wrote:going back to ruining my life with drugs and drink and listening to public image ltd
Klint

Postby Destroyevsky » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:21 am

which america are you referring to

Yankeedom: Founded by Puritans, residents in Northeastern states and the industrial Midwest tend to be more comfortable with government regulation. They value education and the common good more than other regions.

New Netherland: The Netherlands was the most sophisticated society in the Western world when New York was founded, Woodard writes, so it’s no wonder that the region has been a hub of global commerce. It’s also the region most accepting of historically persecuted populations.

The Midlands: Stretching from Quaker territory west through Iowa and into more populated areas of the Midwest, the Midlands are “pluralistic and organized around the middle class.” Government intrusion is unwelcome, and ethnic and ideological purity isn’t a priority.

Tidewater: The coastal regions in the English colonies of Virginia, North Carolina, Maryland and Delaware tend to respect authority and value tradition. Once the most powerful American nation, it began to decline during Westward expansion.

Greater Appalachia: Extending from West Virginia through the Great Smoky Mountains and into Northwest Texas, the descendants of Irish, English and Scottish settlers value individual liberty. Residents are “intensely suspicious of lowland aristocrats and Yankee social engineers.”

Deep South: Dixie still traces its roots to the caste system established by masters who tried to duplicate West Indies-style slave society, Woodard writes. The Old South values states’ rights and local control and fights the expansion of federal powers.

El Norte: Southwest Texas and the border region is the oldest, and most linguistically different, nation in the Americas. Hard work and self-sufficiency are prized values.

The Left Coast: A hybrid, Woodard says, of Appalachian independence and Yankee utopianism loosely defined by the Pacific Ocean on one side and coastal mountain ranges like the Cascades and the Sierra Nevadas on the other. The independence and innovation required of early explorers continues to manifest in places like Silicon Valley and the tech companies around Seattle.
Destroyevsky

Next

Return to Free-For-All