How does it feel to be an American?

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby Pashmina » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:20 pm

yeah, i mean 75% of my office isnt from the US. And I don't identify with the work I do, nor am I committed to it - I identify with the place I work, and am committed to that. So I'm in a fairly unique situation.

I feel more at home in another cosmopolitan city like Tokyo or Paris than I do in, like, Connecticut.

I do feel the tugs of the places I came from, but if im abroad and someone asks where im from im going to say new york, not the united states
emotional fascism wrote:that was a bad post. i'd like to apologize to all board millennials.
Pashmina
I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby identikit » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:25 pm

actually not true, I also feel as belonging to that nation after elections and during major fuck ups. collective shame and disgust, paired with rage and occasionally hate, followed by despair. that's feeling patriotic to me.
identikit

Postby Pashmina » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:27 pm

identikit wrote:actually not true, I also feel as belonging to that nation after elections and during major fuck ups. collective shame and disgust, paired with rage and occasionally hate, followed by despair. that's feeling patriotic to me.

Yeah, it's not like I don't feel the shame - and the luck - of being from the US, it's more that i dont feel a special allegiance to it or the need to promote it over any other country
emotional fascism wrote:that was a bad post. i'd like to apologize to all board millennials.
Pashmina
I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby identikit » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:33 pm

yea promoting countries is a special task for me. not much to promote. "oh I'm half half, both hitler halfs, austria and germany, and then I moved to the US. let me sing some praises" would be pretty hilarious. on the other hand nonstop shitting on all 3 while talking to coworkers from Gambia to Chile to Iran would be pretty damn odd, too. Case of "check your privilege before you open your mouth."
identikit

Postby Ferrous Bueller » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:34 pm

The Alps and pastries is a pretty good one-two
Ferrous Bueller

Postby Pashmina » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:42 pm

i think one thing ive learned as ive fallen into this identity is that all countries are pretty bad
Pashmina
I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby identikit » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:43 pm

It's funny, the "dream nation" in my head was New Zealand for the longest time. then new zealanders informed me a bit of their hm how do I put it...racism issues?

then I thought woa Iceland, super progressive, what major shit do they have? And then an Icelander had a laughing fit while presented with the idea their country might just be great in terms of progressiveness. Their answer still haunts me because it hadn't occurred to me.
"yea truly progressive, the magic trick is to stay 99,9% white in the first place." They were not exactly a fan and dreaming about moving to NYC...
identikit

Postby Pashmina » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:48 pm

yeah, discovering how racist scandinavians are ten years ago was my "whelp" moment
Pashmina
I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby Pashmina » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:51 pm

a norwegian dude i know who had always been super progressive on everything (particularly palestine, women's rights) accidentally sent a text to a guy he had just interviewed with instead of his gf calling him the n word and he just didn't get why it was so bad besides like "making someone angry"
Pashmina
I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby lockheed » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:54 pm

portia wrote:
lockheed wrote:pootis i've run in to two former co-workers at the UN in the last two weeks just walking down the street, kinda makes me still feel like i'm part of that club

you always are

<3
Nice day if it doesn't rain.
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby office plant » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:54 pm

identikit wrote:It's funny, the "dream nation" in my head was New Zealand for the longest time. then new zealanders informed me a bit of their hm how do I put it...racism issues?

then I thought woa Iceland, super progressive, what major shit do they have? And then an Icelander had a laughing fit while presented with the idea their country might just be great in terms of progressiveness. Their answer still haunts me because it hadn't occurred to me.
"yea truly progressive, the magic trick is to stay 99,9% white in the first place." They were not exactly a fan and dreaming about moving to NYC...

NZ is getting better but a huge chunk of the white majority population is just creepingly, sneakily racist. There are maybe two cities big and diverse enough that it's hard to be racist in terms of like - not constantly being around masses of other white people (although as we know, this doesmt necessarily discourage people).

I went to high school in a tiny town that is one of the whitest in NZ and one time, went to the supermarket there with my flatmate from london who is a black muslim. When we came out he was visibly spooked, he was like "I've never been surrounded by so many white people before".
office plant

Postby hoopdog » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:58 pm

man i wanna work at the un
hoopdog
ride.

Postby office plant » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:58 pm

This guy, who is a kind of talkback radio / TV talking head here, got run off twitter the other day after writing this: https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/opinion/97625919/duncan-garner-dear-nz-how-do-we-want-to-look-in-20-years

The sad thing is a lot of white NZers prob secretly agree, while turning a blind eye to the thousands of white immigrants we get every year from the UK, South Africa etc
office plant

Postby Pashmina » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:03 pm

hoopdog wrote:man i wanna work at the un

it's a blessing and a curse
Pashmina
I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby hoopdog » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:05 pm

i can imagine- i'm just having one of those "hey, it would be nice to actually use my degree for something i studied" moments
hoopdog
ride.

Postby pana » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:08 pm

can i get a tour of the buffer zone here if i tell them pootis sent me?
pana

Postby lockheed » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:18 pm

I'm leaving the United States basically for the first time in my life in a month or so (Paris) and at first I wasn't particularly psyched about it, but the more I read and thought about it, I realized that Paris is probably very much my kind of shit, which I guess ties in to what pootis said about being more engaged or i guess made comfortable by a cosmopolitan center, whether it's in America or not. And kind of in an emotional way that's hard for me to explain.
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby lockheed » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:24 pm

Hey Pana you ever get a drink at Lost & Found?
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby an otter » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:25 pm

i've found the best place to live in the US is toronto
ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ
an otter

Postby chowder julius » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:26 pm

paris sucks
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImagebuy me thingsImageImageImage
DRAGONS wrote:its not my job to engage u in debate until u feel good about ur horrific views

chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby lockheed » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:28 pm

Yeah I read your posts about your experience there cj, which definitely gave me pause
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby identikit » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:37 pm

well. I married one born there who would def. agree that Paris sucks. He loves it, too, so much that he runs as fast as he can every time he stays in Paris for longer than two weeks. To me while living there it's some type of really ugly beauty. If you get out of the posh center, the big "immigrant" block areas is where it starts getting interesting. A (often very literal) clash of income and culture. You kinda have to love the vibe,it is more than just alive, while looking where you can go and hide at the same time. Reminds me a lot of the shitty parts of Berlin, only Paris is def. prettier to look at.

How long will you be staying in Paris?
identikit

Postby lockheed » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:42 pm

A week. By immigrant block areas do you mean like neighborhoods in the 19th and 20th or deeper out to like montreuil?
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby Pashmina » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:42 pm

I guess most of my time in Paris has been in belleville, which I really like and reminds me of what I like about nyc
Pashmina
I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby Pashmina » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:44 pm

lockheed wrote:A week. By immigrant block areas do you mean like neighborhoods in the 19th and 20th or deeper out to like montreuil?

If you're staying around the 19th/20th I think you'll love it
Pashmina
I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby bloodlines » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:45 pm

what an incomprehensible question
bloodlines

Postby identikit » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:47 pm

lockheed wrote:A week. By immigrant block areas do you mean like neighborhoods in the 19th and 20th or deeper out to like montreuil?

both but 19, 20 for a week. first time I really felt at home in the US was without internet on my phone, completely lost somewhere in NYC, stepping over a homeless person on the street while seeing a street drummer just ahead and thinking with a warm fuzzy feeling "woa this totally feels like Paris." take that as you will haha, a week is short enough to only develop a little bit of hate and a lot of love for Paris, hopefully.

and 18. going by the little bit I remember about lockheed stories on here, you will be at home in Montmartre after midnight.
Last edited by identikit on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
identikit

Postby hansibansix » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:48 pm

ok so everywhere pretty much sucks? agrees with my collected data..
hansibansix

Postby cartola » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:49 pm

being american is like being a noir film always knowing in you gut, something is wrong
cartola

Postby pana » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:50 pm

lockheed wrote:Hey Pana you ever get a drink at Lost & Found?

doesn't really seem like my kind of place so i've been avoiding it. might end up there at some point anyway though
pana

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All