How does it feel to be an American?

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby office plant » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:58 pm

This guy, who is a kind of talkback radio / TV talking head here, got run off twitter the other day after writing this: https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/opinion/97625919/duncan-garner-dear-nz-how-do-we-want-to-look-in-20-years

The sad thing is a lot of white NZers prob secretly agree, while turning a blind eye to the thousands of white immigrants we get every year from the UK, South Africa etc
office plant

Postby portia » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:03 pm

hoopdog wrote:man i wanna work at the un

it's a blessing and a curse
emotional fascism wrote:that was a bad post. i'd like to apologize to all board millennials.
portia
I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby hoopdog » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:05 pm

i can imagine- i'm just having one of those "hey, it would be nice to actually use my degree for something i studied" moments
hoopdog

Postby pana » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:08 pm

can i get a tour of the buffer zone here if i tell them pootis sent me?
pana

Postby lockheed » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:18 pm

I'm leaving the United States basically for the first time in my life in a month or so (Paris) and at first I wasn't particularly psyched about it, but the more I read and thought about it, I realized that Paris is probably very much my kind of shit, which I guess ties in to what pootis said about being more engaged or i guess made comfortable by a cosmopolitan center, whether it's in America or not. And kind of in an emotional way that's hard for me to explain.
Nice day if it doesn't rain.
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby lockheed » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:24 pm

Hey Pana you ever get a drink at Lost & Found?
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby an otter » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:25 pm

i've found the best place to live in the US is toronto
ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ
an otter

Postby chowder julius » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:26 pm

paris sucks
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImagebuy me thingsImageImageImage
DRAGONS wrote:its not my job to engage u in debate until u feel good about ur horrific views

chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby lockheed » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:28 pm

Yeah I read your posts about your experience there cj, which definitely gave me pause
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby identikit » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:37 pm

well. I married one born there who would def. agree that Paris sucks. He loves it, too, so much that he runs as fast as he can every time he stays in Paris for longer than two weeks. To me while living there it's some type of really ugly beauty. If you get out of the posh center, the big "immigrant" block areas is where it starts getting interesting. A (often very literal) clash of income and culture. You kinda have to love the vibe,it is more than just alive, while looking where you can go and hide at the same time. Reminds me a lot of the shitty parts of Berlin, only Paris is def. prettier to look at.

How long will you be staying in Paris?
identikit

Postby lockheed » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:42 pm

A week. By immigrant block areas do you mean like neighborhoods in the 19th and 20th or deeper out to like montreuil?
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby portia » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:42 pm

I guess most of my time in Paris has been in belleville, which I really like and reminds me of what I like about nyc
emotional fascism wrote:that was a bad post. i'd like to apologize to all board millennials.
portia
I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby portia » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:44 pm

lockheed wrote:A week. By immigrant block areas do you mean like neighborhoods in the 19th and 20th or deeper out to like montreuil?

If you're staying around the 19th/20th I think you'll love it
portia
I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby bloodlines » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:45 pm

what an incomprehensible question
bloodlines

Postby identikit » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:47 pm

lockheed wrote:A week. By immigrant block areas do you mean like neighborhoods in the 19th and 20th or deeper out to like montreuil?

both but 19, 20 for a week. first time I really felt at home in the US was without internet on my phone, completely lost somewhere in NYC, stepping over a homeless person on the street while seeing a street drummer just ahead and thinking with a warm fuzzy feeling "woa this totally feels like Paris." take that as you will haha, a week is short enough to only develop a little bit of hate and a lot of love for Paris, hopefully.

and 18. going by the little bit I remember about lockheed stories on here, you will be at home in Montmartre after midnight.
Last edited by identikit on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
identikit

Postby verylousy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:48 pm

Apologies for getting upset but families of friends of mine are getting deported and trivializing stuff like that kind of got to me
verylousy

Postby hansibansix » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:48 pm

ok so everywhere pretty much sucks? agrees with my collected data..
hansibansix

Postby cartola » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:49 pm

being american is like being a noir film always knowing in you gut, something is wrong
cartola

Postby pana » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:50 pm

lockheed wrote:Hey Pana you ever get a drink at Lost & Found?

doesn't really seem like my kind of place so i've been avoiding it. might end up there at some point anyway though
pana

Postby hansibansix » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:50 pm

cartola wrote:being american is like being a noir film always knowing in you gut, something is wrong

that's life, stop making things uniquely American!
hansibansix

Postby lockheed » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:52 pm

portia wrote:

If you're staying around the 19th/20th I think you'll love it

She was pretty fixed on finding an airbnb in Marais but yeah I already kinda plan on spending most of the time around there and also the 11th for some specific restaurants. I just think she wanted the home base to be more central/near pretty romantic things.
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby identikit » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:54 pm

hansibansix wrote:ok so everywhere pretty much sucks? agrees with my collected data..

do you happen do have Liechtenstein data? I want to check if the last remaining no-name utopia is still well.
identikit

Postby verylousy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:54 pm

I think a lot of the complaints in this thread are very lodged against capitalist western culture which isn't uniquely American.
verylousy

Postby verylousy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:54 pm

I think a lot of the complaints in this thread are very lodged against capitalist western culture which isn't uniquely American.
verylousy

Postby lockheed » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:58 pm

identikit wrote:

both but 19, 20 for a week. first time I really felt at home in the US was without internet on my phone, completely lost somewhere in NYC, stepping over a homeless person on the street while seeing a street drummer just ahead and thinking with a warm fuzzy feeling "woa this totally feels like Paris." take that as you will haha, a week is short enough to only develop a little bit of hate and a lot of love for Paris, hopefully.

and 18. going by the little bit I remember about lockheed stories on here, you will be at home in Montmartre after midnight.

It is Def true I'm a degenerate and prefer real degenerate shit, but it's going to be a sober trip, so not a whole lot of super late night weirdness.
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby identikit » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:05 pm

hey you used the word "degenerate", I was just thinking you'd be up for some "the real face" of Paris besides pretty tourist must-see spots. you don't need to be wasted either, really. that would limit your chances to not wake up in some fucked up situation where you wonder which way the next embassy is. oh oh and flea market. go to one, it's super relaxing and so hm... comforting? stress-free, chill observing sort of thing. and just for the damn sake of it, go to one cinema. just one screening in one of the uh two dozen? old tiny arthouse cinemas, if you stay sober at night you might as well do that!
identikit

Postby lockheed » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:12 pm

I gotcha yeah, i was mostly kidding about the degen thing
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby crash.landing » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:28 pm

Good thread. At this point I'm about as American as I'm German, having lived in each country equally long now. As some other people here, I'm thoroughly metropolitan with a rather large disdain for nationalism and patriotism of any kind. I will never forget my first assembly in high school here in the US where people stood up, put their hand over their heart, looking towards the flag, reciting the pledge of allegiance. Most twilight moment you can have as someone who grew up in (West-)Germany, I think. Had that same feeling again after 9/11. Shudder.
crash.landing

Postby Ferrous Bueller » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:39 pm

every place is provincial

it's just part of being a place
Ferrous Bueller

Postby identikit » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:43 pm

what I keep wondering and can't really ask any not-that-close friends or former colleagues in the US since talking money is nothing you should do, is eh... hm.

Is there a massive master plan how you guys are going to evade taxes? In my head, that is part of being American now - you evade taxes. Or maybe that's just me, I don't know.
identikit

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All