Which corporate nation-state will you serve?

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby powderfinger » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:16 pm

Mr. Science wrote:Apple's best chance is probably just setting everyone up in a completely self contained ecosystem underground or possibly underwater.

Apple's downfall will be civil unrest at a 10% levy to fund sculpting the likeness of Steve Jobs on Mount Everest
powderfinger

Postby Kenny » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:19 pm

Is there any evidence of Apple slowing down after Steve Jobs died? I was wondering how much of apple was his leverage
REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS Image

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:kenny, can't tell if you're joking or not
Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby generic » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:19 pm

when I think of america breaking up into nation states I think of regions roughly analogous to major D1 conferences

but if this were the model it would be an all out turf war for control of new york and san francisco, while the rest of the country just sat around. maybe walmart could suck up most of the mainland
generic

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:25 pm

starbucks for the snacks
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Autarch » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:27 pm

Don't sleep on Lockheed Martin.
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby Bad craziness » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:30 pm

Bezos absolutely has the grit to dominate this kind of scenario

Alphabet has the information advantage, but yeah Amazon has the resources cornered for basic survival needs

then again Larry Page would finally get to make his technocratic island nation

I would apply for citizenship on Google Island and I'd have Amazon Prime Indentured Servitude™ as a fallback
Bad craziness

Postby Kenny » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:37 pm

Amazon is strung up by not having it's own OS, but otherwise would wipe the floor with everybody
REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS Image

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:kenny, can't tell if you're joking or not
Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby Spoilt Victorian Child » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:42 pm

I'm in Johnson & Johnson territory and it probably wouldn't be a bad idea for me to stay there, but I bet The Apple Country would be a lot sexier.
Spoilt Victorian Child
ok

Postby brittle » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:47 pm

Autarch wrote:Don't sleep on Lockheed Martin.

at least i wouldn't have to relocate for this one.
Last edited by brittle on Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brittle

Postby Mr. Science » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:56 pm

Lockheed, Halliburton, Raytheon, all defense contractors are gobbled up by the big time corp-states in this scenario.

Think of Northrup Grumman as Microsoft's Puerto Rico.
Mr. Science
Prometheus sucks.

Postby goofjan grievens » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:57 pm

General Mills. I'll happily toil all day in the Cookie Crisp mines.
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye
goofjan grievens

Postby light rail coyote » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:08 pm

i hear the weather in kroger is beautiful this time of year
light rail coyote

Postby WeirdJungle » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:09 pm

Mr. Science wrote:Apple's best chance is probably just setting everyone up in a completely self contained ecosystem underground or possibly underwater.

more like

i aspired to, not become ET, yet became him, irrespective of
WeirdJungle

Postby WeirdJungle » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:12 pm

it's a great lifestyle (if you survive the eugenic purges)
WeirdJungle

Postby Esteban » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:23 pm

Amazon I guess. Everyone gets all the prior seasons of curb your enthusiasm with their mandatory Prime™ RFID chips, eh could be worse
Esteban

Postby iambic » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:25 pm

amazon's work culture is notoriously awful, and that can't bode well for their work camps
iambic

Postby larry the cable guy tooth fairy 2 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:28 pm

i'm going to have a little column that all of my fellow citizens of the nation-state of axel-springer will read.
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
larry the cable guy tooth fairy 2
smiling drinker

Postby Bad craziness » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:41 pm

iambic wrote:amazon's work culture is notoriously awful, and that can't bode well for their work camps

yeah I see amazon as corralling people into pods with ruthless efficiency, tens of millions of people with just above bare subsistence

like you get a cot and a water/soylent faucet, but also a giant TV with free access to literally every movie/tv show ever

Google, Facebook and Apple are more likely to take the opportunity to build their own attempts at tech utopias

round up a couple million people either via algorithm or some sort of test/nomination system and get them into literal walled gardens
Bad craziness

Postby Lucky » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:44 pm

Mr. Science wrote:Lockheed, Halliburton, Raytheon, all defense contractors are gobbled up by the big time corp-states in this scenario.

wouldn't the corporations with all the weapons forcibly take over the tech nerds though
katy perry pissing all over my diamond-encrusted crown as I sentence another peon to death
Lucky
how many mics do we rip on the daily

Postby WeirdJungle » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:45 pm

Facebook's arcology is just one huge panopticon
WeirdJungle

Postby mascotte » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:01 pm

Pfizer
mascotte

Postby Esteban » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:03 pm

iambic wrote:amazon's work culture is notoriously awful, and that can't bode well for their work camps

That's a fair assessment, I don't think any of these corps wouldn't do the same tho. Zero chance of a utopia for this reality.
Esteban

Postby Mr. Science » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:03 pm

Lucky wrote:
Mr. Science wrote:Lockheed, Halliburton, Raytheon, all defense contractors are gobbled up by the big time corp-states in this scenario.

wouldn't the corporations with all the weapons forcibly take over the tech nerds though

Let's just say the corporate overlords saw it coming and started acquiring the defense firms.
Mr. Science
Prometheus sucks.

Postby walt whitman » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:23 pm

cool thread but hard disagree w the premise that a single company simply won't buy up all the competitors, or some frankenstein assemblage of amazon/alphabet/apple etc
walt whitman

Postby Autarch » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:39 pm

Mr. Science wrote:
Lucky wrote:

Let's just say the corporate overlords saw it coming and started acquiring the defense firms.

Of course, the Defense firms are really useless unless you have a lot of oil
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby Bad craziness » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:44 pm

just happened upon this shockingly relevant piece from The Baffler:

https://thebaffler.com/latest/mouthbreathing-machiavellis

One day in March of this year, a Google engineer named Justine Tunney created a strange and ultimately doomed petition at the White House website. The petition proposed a three-point national referendum, as follows:

1. Retire all government employees with full pensions.
2. Transfer administrative authority to the tech industry.
3. Appoint [Google executive chairman] Eric Schmidt CEO of America.

This could easily be written off as stunt, a flamboyant act of corporate kiss-assery, which, on one level, it probably was. But Tunney happened to be serious. “It’s time for the U.S. Regime to politely take its exit from history and do what’s best for America,” she wrote. “The tech industry can offer us good governance and prevent further American decline.”

Welcome to the latest political fashion among the California Confederacy: total corporate despotism. It is a potent and bitter ideological mash that could have only been concocted at tech culture’s funky smoothie bar—a little Steve Jobs here, a little Ayn Rand there, and some Ray Kurzweil for color.
Bad craziness

Postby speakers » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:58 pm

iambic wrote:
WeirdJungle wrote:Apple makes hundreds of times more profit from each iPhone than google does from Android phones

staking profits on a stylized hunk of plastic, glass and rare earths is such an early 21st century notion

google are information brokers

are you implying that apple doesn't have petabytes of data about everyone/thing?
speakers

Postby identikit » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:02 pm

Lucky wrote:i'm a gazprom boy

yea seems like a good horse in warfare.
identikit

Postby office plant » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:23 pm

WeirdJungle wrote:

more like

I was going to say more like the underwater country in the bojack episode but then i realised that if i lived in the bojack universe i would probably choose to live there
office plant

Postby office plant » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:27 pm

anyway ill be a dual citizen of samsung-hyundai's merger with the korean govt and mr lee's greater hong kong
office plant

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All