Mental Health and Positivity in the Current World

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby Grumby » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:22 pm

art, food, getting high and laying in bed. also humor is the greatest.
Grumby

Postby Bartatua » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:23 pm

Jiu jitsu
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby antoine » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:27 pm

Cue snarky dfw this is water joke
trouble wrote:when you are gonna get married and shopping around
take a minute a think about the posts that were made by antoine
antoine

Postby dosbrains » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:32 pm

Listening to really beautiful piano music has really done the trick for me recently

dosbrains

Postby viachicago » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:41 pm

classical radio is pure balm
viachicago

Postby Milquetoaster Strudels » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:50 pm

Milquetoaster Strudels

Postby Sobieski » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:57 pm

dosbrains wrote:Listening to really beautiful piano music has really done the trick for me recently

yeah bach was the only thing that saved me this morning
Johann POOPLER wrote:Progress is the exploration of our own error
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby Warranty » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:20 pm

Quit Twitter and Facebook, at least when it comes to using them more than once a day to check news. Make a conscious effort to stop reading 'takes' or news designed to succeed on social media. Instead, make a conscious effort to read more books and subscribe to and read longer-form journalism from outlets like the Paris Review, Dissent, London Review of Books, and The Nation. Consciously curate what kind of stories you read, actively seek out stories focused on organizers and institutions that are building power to overcome injustice. Every time you mention something wrong in the world, try to also mention one possible action that could help make that problem a little less worse. Embrace the fact that the future is unknowable and that change happens in bizarre, unpredictable, and rapid ways and that all of human history confirms this. Even if it's only 3 hours a week, get involved in your local community doing something positive, even if it's something not explicitly political like volunteering at a homeless shelter. Listen to music and read poetry. Remember that change happens via millions of people doing small things that in isolation seem meaningless. Even assuming (falsely) that specific crises are inevitable, the length and severity of a crisis is subject to change, as is the pain felt by people suffering in a crisis. Injustice will always exist, but it can at a minimum be temporarily eased which sometimes provides kindness and meaning to a person's day, week, or month.

Social media and online platforms are intentionally designed by for-profit corporate monopolies to make users feel overwhelmed, isolated, anxious, and skeptical of others. They do not provide any insight into the objective truth of the human condition or what people are like. It's OK to reject the corporatization of human relationships. And it's OK for it to be difficult and take some time.
Warranty

Postby antoine » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:29 pm

Social media really does stink
trouble wrote:when you are gonna get married and shopping around
take a minute a think about the posts that were made by antoine
antoine

Postby Dead_Wizard » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:33 pm

yea I been off all social media for 3 years now and it just blows my mind when I see what FB is like now.
Dead_Wizard

Postby blurst of times » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:42 pm

Good post, warranty. I'm gonna try to take some of that advice to heart
blurst of times
ride.

Postby black mamba » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:42 pm

black mamba
ok

Postby mcwop23 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:43 pm

gym/whiskey/video games/NBA
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby Milquetoaster Strudels » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:49 pm

Martin Luther King, Jr. wrote:Sooner or later all the people of the world will have to discover a way to live together in peace, and thereby transform this pending cosmic elegy into a creative psalm of brotherhood. If this is to be achieved, man must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love.
Milquetoaster Strudels

Postby NEO » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:52 pm

Warranty wrote:Social media and online platforms are intentionally designed by for-profit corporate monopolies to make users feel overwhelmed, isolated, anxious, and skeptical of others. They do not provide any insight into the objective truth of the human condition or what people are like. It's OK to reject the corporatization of human relationships. And it's OK for it to be difficult and take some time.

<3
john plainman wrote:my anger is my power
my heart just stares
*breakbeat*
NEO

Postby Bad craziness » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:28 pm

re: mental health, this short essay really unlocked my understanding of anxiety and the lens by which we understand it

https://ieet.org/index.php/IEET2/more/nygren20160204

Bad craziness

Postby theta » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:29 pm

Bartatua wrote:Jiu jitsu

choke solve all problem
Jeremy wrote:If you want a vision of the future, imagine a sarcastic serf - forever.
theta
Noted Futurist and Geo Metro Enthusiast

Postby Bad craziness » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:30 pm

on that note, pretty much anything from Krishnamurti is worth listening to

Bad craziness

Postby figaro » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:34 pm

i run everyday and play video games

it kinda helps but everything is still pretty shitty
figaro

Postby robespierre » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:39 pm

get involved with local activism around an issue that is important to you
robespierre

Postby pretty yeoman » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:44 pm

Warranty thanks for that post. You folks all are cool, it's good to talk about this stuff with you, and you all can do this.
pretty yeoman

Postby internethandle » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:08 pm

yeah great post, warranty. this, in particular:

Embrace the fact that the future is unknowable and that change happens in bizarre, unpredictable, and rapid ways and that all of human history confirms this.

which i've been trying to keep some variation of in mind. in terms of impermanence as a law, there's a tendency to see "good things do not last" as being the primary message germane to its instruction, but it's just as equally that those things we judge to be bad or neutral do not last, either.
Last edited by internethandle on Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
internethandle
ok

Postby bigcat » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:10 pm

internethandle wrote:yeah great post, warranty. this, in particular:

Embrace the fact that the future is unknowable and that change happens in bizarre, unpredictable, and rapid ways and that all of human history confirms this.

which i've been trying to keep some variation of in mind. in terms of impermanence as a law, there's a tendency to see "good things do not last" as being the primary message germane to its instruction, but it's just as equally that those things we judge to be bad or neutral things do not last, either.

Yes. Also: two steps forward, one step back.
bigcat

Postby powderfinger » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:23 pm

things that have worked for me this year:
- cats
- clubbing
- lots and lots of weed
- a hobby that stimulates my brain in a completely different way than it gets stimulated by the Bad Things
powderfinger

Postby lordofdiapers » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:24 pm

Stuntman wrote:Does anyone remember Late Night Cheeseburger? That was my jam. Tasted like BO.
lordofdiapers
The Nappy King™

Postby blurst of times » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:27 pm

internethandle wrote:yeah great post, warranty. this, in particular:

which i've been trying to keep some variation of in mind. in terms of impermanence as a law, there's a tendency to see "good things do not last" as being the primary message germane to its instruction, but it's just as equally that those things we judge to be bad or neutral do not last, either.

blurst of times
ride.

Postby The Good Jugdish » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:31 pm

Working sucks buy my job's cool
I'm the janitor at the school
The Good Jugdish

Postby waldojeffers1 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:32 pm

I’m probably gonna kill myself at some point in 2018
oh no someone save us
waldojeffers1

Postby Bartatua » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:36 pm

Warranty wrote:
Social media and online platforms are intentionally designed by for-profit corporate monopolies to make users feel overwhelmed, isolated, anxious, and skeptical of others..

pms are busted but do you have any links or sources that address this specific point?
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby Sobieski » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:49 pm

get really deep into Dadaism as praxis
Johann POOPLER wrote:Progress is the exploration of our own error
Sobieski
Comptroller

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All