It was a gas, Gass (1924-2017)

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby Eyeball Kid » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:43 am

User avatar
Eyeball Kid
 
Posts: 17898
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:17 pm

Postby Eyeball Kid » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:46 am

Here's a larger version of above

Image
User avatar
Eyeball Kid
 
Posts: 17898
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:17 pm

Postby Eyeball Kid » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:53 am

Who will be next? McElroy? Barth? Coover?
User avatar
Eyeball Kid
 
Posts: 17898
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:17 pm

Postby ripersnifle » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:56 am

RIP
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet
ripersnifle wrote:that aesthetic was tight
worrywort wrote:it's called the temple grandin
Image
User avatar
ripersnifle
 
Posts: 9732
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: battening down the crap song hatch / mtl

Postby ripersnifle » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:57 am

my shitty undergrad thesis was on The Tunnel and the book nearly broke my mind due to how dense and hyperreferential it is.
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet
ripersnifle wrote:that aesthetic was tight
worrywort wrote:it's called the temple grandin
Image
User avatar
ripersnifle
 
Posts: 9732
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: battening down the crap song hatch / mtl

Postby Eyeball Kid » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:02 pm

His last story collection, Eyes, was...not great, but his final novel, Middle C was very good indeed.

In the Heart of the Heart of the Country I love dearly and stands as an excellent entry point into his fiction.
User avatar
Eyeball Kid
 
Posts: 17898
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:17 pm

Postby ripersnifle » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:06 pm

i have Middle C but have actually not gotten around to it in the years since, regrettably.
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet
ripersnifle wrote:that aesthetic was tight
worrywort wrote:it's called the temple grandin
Image
User avatar
ripersnifle
 
Posts: 9732
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: battening down the crap song hatch / mtl

Postby fakename » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:19 pm

Few of the stories one has it in one’s self to speak get spoken, because the heart rarely confesses to intelligence its deeper needs; and few of the stories one has at the top of one’s head to tell get told, because the mind does not always possess the voice for them. Even when the voice is there, and the tongue is limber as if with liquor or with love, where is that sensitive, admiring, other pair of ears?
User avatar
fakename
 
Posts: 3699
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:27 pm

Postby trellisaze » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:27 pm

oh no
User avatar
trellisaze
 
Posts: 10387
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:13 pm
Location: DON'T EVER LOOK BACK GOOD DAYS AHEAD

Postby trellisaze » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:28 pm

alright i'm finally reading the tunnel now
User avatar
trellisaze
 
Posts: 10387
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:13 pm
Location: DON'T EVER LOOK BACK GOOD DAYS AHEAD

Postby trellisaze » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:31 pm

when someone has already lived this long you kind of just assume they'll go on forever

the first two sections of omensetter's luck is maybe the best prose written by an american in the 20th century
User avatar
trellisaze
 
Posts: 10387
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:13 pm
Location: DON'T EVER LOOK BACK GOOD DAYS AHEAD

Postby deadbass » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:41 pm

god damn

Here's a quote I wrote down in my notebook from Omensetter's Luck cause it made me laugh:

The difference as it lies these days, professor, between the Christians and the early Greeks? Christians soap their balls, I think--correct, my boy, quite right--whereas the pagans, it is my opinion, always olive-oiled their penises. Yes, lad, yes, and the reason for that is...
Last edited by deadbass on Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
deadbass
 
Posts: 1905
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:51 pm

Postby wollogallu » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:43 pm

literally just reread the tunnel, such an amazing novel. i love all his work. rip.

mcelroy cant die before his nonfiction water book is done
User avatar
wollogallu
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:56 pm

Postby trellisaze » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:45 pm

For suppose, and mind it narrowly, that life is simply a shadow bodies cast inside themselves when struck by all those queerly various bits and particles, those pieces, those streams of—what?—of science. Death in such a case would be only another arrangement.
User avatar
trellisaze
 
Posts: 10387
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:13 pm
Location: DON'T EVER LOOK BACK GOOD DAYS AHEAD

Postby wollogallu » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:47 pm

i suspect that the first dictator of this country will be called "coach."
User avatar
wollogallu
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:56 pm

Postby Eyeball Kid » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:49 pm

It escaped my attention that Coover had a book come out early this year.
User avatar
Eyeball Kid
 
Posts: 17898
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:17 pm

Postby wollogallu » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:51 pm

If we had the true and complete history of one man - which would be the history of his head - we would sign the warrants and end ourselves forever, not because of the wickedness we would find within that man, no, but because of the meagerness of feeling, the miniaturization of meaning, the pettiness of ambition, the vulgarities, the vanities, the diminution of intelligence, the endless trivia we’d encounter, the ever present dust.
User avatar
wollogallu
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:56 pm

Postby epistrophy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:09 pm

fakename wrote:
Few of the stories one has it in one’s self to speak get spoken, because the heart rarely confesses to intelligence its deeper needs; and few of the stories one has at the top of one’s head to tell get told, because the mind does not always possess the voice for them. Even when the voice is there, and the tongue is limber as if with liquor or with love, where is that sensitive, admiring, other pair of ears?


Dang. Which work is this from?
User avatar
epistrophy
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 11:21 pm
Location: Somerville

Postby Eyeball Kid » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:12 pm

Preface from In the Heart of the Heart of the Country
User avatar
Eyeball Kid
 
Posts: 17898
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:17 pm

Postby gambra » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:12 pm

epistrophy wrote:
fakename wrote:
Few of the stories one has it in one’s self to speak get spoken, because the heart rarely confesses to intelligence its deeper needs; and few of the stories one has at the top of one’s head to tell get told, because the mind does not always possess the voice for them. Even when the voice is there, and the tongue is limber as if with liquor or with love, where is that sensitive, admiring, other pair of ears?


Dang. Which work is this from?


Preface to In the Heart of the Heart of the Country & Other Stories
THIS IMPACT WILL CONTROL ALL MARGINS

Scrumptious Justice 8-) wrote:man don't be mean to gambra
User avatar
gambra
 
Posts: 20443
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 9:31 am
Location: D12, Ireland

Postby gambra » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:13 pm

I really should continue reading The Tunnel, I only got a tiny part of the way through when it was first being mentioned around here.
THIS IMPACT WILL CONTROL ALL MARGINS

Scrumptious Justice 8-) wrote:man don't be mean to gambra
User avatar
gambra
 
Posts: 20443
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 9:31 am
Location: D12, Ireland

Postby larry the cable guy tooth fairy 28 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:52 pm

the tunnel is incredible and was certainly one of those books i read in college that blew my mind right out of my skull in terms of what a book could be.
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
User avatar
larry the cable guy tooth fairy 28
smiling drinker
 
Posts: 20847
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:56 am

Postby Eyeball Kid » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:57 pm

Gass's introduction to William Gaddis's The Recognitions is, and I say this without hyperbole, the greatest introduction in the history of the medium.
User avatar
Eyeball Kid
 
Posts: 17898
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:17 pm

Postby Eyeball Kid » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:02 pm

Here's Gass, in 1985, on the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction:

http://www.nytimes.com/books/98/11/01/specials/gass-prizes.html

It is not a serious novelist's nightmare (the possibility is so absurd); nevertheless, suppose you fancied yourself a serious novelist (a writer, as they say, of the first rank), and a wire were delivered in your dream (the telephone rang, there was a sudden knock), and this were followed by the formal announcement that you, Julia Peterkin, or you, Marjorie Rawlings, or you, Allen Drury or Michael Shaara or Alison Lurie, had been awarded the Pulitzer Prize in fiction for 1929 or '39 or '60 or '75 or '85. Well, what a pleasant supposition: to receive a prize, a famous one at that, with considerable prestige and the presumption of increased sales as well as other benefits. Why should such a compliment to your art be denied; why should the thought be unlikely, the award embarrassing, the fact nightmarish? Because the Pulitzer Prize in fiction takes dead aim at mediocrity and almost never misses; the prize is simply not given to work of the first rank, rarely even to the second; and if you believed yourself to be a writer of that eminence, you are now assured of being over the hill - not a sturdy mountain flower but a little wilted lily of the valley.
User avatar
Eyeball Kid
 
Posts: 17898
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:17 pm

Postby delgriffith » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:04 pm

Eyeball Kid wrote:In the Heart of the Heart of the Country I love dearly and stands as an excellent entry point into his fiction.

Yeah this is the best.
User avatar
delgriffith
 
Posts: 93361
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:26 pm

Postby larry the cable guy tooth fairy 28 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:16 pm

Never read that one. Gonna hit the bookstore on my way home tomorrow night and grab it.
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
User avatar
larry the cable guy tooth fairy 28
smiling drinker
 
Posts: 20847
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:56 am

Postby ripersnifle » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:20 pm

Eyeball Kid wrote:Here's Gass, in 1985, on the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction:

http://www.nytimes.com/books/98/11/01/specials/gass-prizes.html

It is not a serious novelist's nightmare (the possibility is so absurd); nevertheless, suppose you fancied yourself a serious novelist (a writer, as they say, of the first rank), and a wire were delivered in your dream (the telephone rang, there was a sudden knock), and this were followed by the formal announcement that you, Julia Peterkin, or you, Marjorie Rawlings, or you, Allen Drury or Michael Shaara or Alison Lurie, had been awarded the Pulitzer Prize in fiction for 1929 or '39 or '60 or '75 or '85. Well, what a pleasant supposition: to receive a prize, a famous one at that, with considerable prestige and the presumption of increased sales as well as other benefits. Why should such a compliment to your art be denied; why should the thought be unlikely, the award embarrassing, the fact nightmarish? Because the Pulitzer Prize in fiction takes dead aim at mediocrity and almost never misses; the prize is simply not given to work of the first rank, rarely even to the second; and if you believed yourself to be a writer of that eminence, you are now assured of being over the hill - not a sturdy mountain flower but a little wilted lily of the valley.
lol this slays
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet
ripersnifle wrote:that aesthetic was tight
worrywort wrote:it's called the temple grandin
Image
User avatar
ripersnifle
 
Posts: 9732
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: battening down the crap song hatch / mtl

Postby Dead_Wizard » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:50 pm

RIP to the Gass man. I can't think of another author who I had a more tumultuous relationship with. His work would make me so incredibly mad sometimes, whether due to it's complexity, overt meanness, or prosaic dickishness...yet I think Omensetter's Luck, On Being Blue, and In the Heart of the Heart of the Country are canon to me.

"I write because I hate. A lot. Hard." is the perfect summation of the dude.
User avatar
Dead_Wizard
 
Posts: 6255
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:45 pm

Postby ripersnifle » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:29 pm

steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet
ripersnifle wrote:that aesthetic was tight
worrywort wrote:it's called the temple grandin
Image
User avatar
ripersnifle
 
Posts: 9732
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: battening down the crap song hatch / mtl

Postby Eyeball Kid » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:36 pm

Did he cast those flames with his mind?
User avatar
Eyeball Kid
 
Posts: 17898
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:17 pm

Next

Return to Free-For-All

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 10cc, anephric, Annie May, antoine, Autarch, average deceiver, Bartatua, Barthes Starr, bazooka, benj, Big Oil, black drum, bloodlines, Boog Powell, brent, brentmoney, Buddy Glass, buriedinspace, butter, cartola, chopperpilot, cooly, dan, darger, deebster, deer, def from above, demis, denvermax, dimetrodons 'r' us, Dinosauria We, doublethink0, draw, dreamshake, edgeev, Egads, endless dave, Enemy Ace, Feech La Manna, FourLegsGood, fox, Frank, freezinseason, fresh, freshweed, fuckles, gambra, Geoff, gobot, goldmatt, goofysdeadwife69, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], grace cathedral park, grammatron, grayfox, Hal Jordan, hansibansix, hbb, hiddenicon, hideout, hit record, Hugh, husbands, hyperbole man, iacus, ill sinner, inmate, inspectorhound, internethandle, iwillneverpost, Jabberwocky, jalapeño ranch, josh, Jupiter, just trouble, k_uger, kayke, Kevin McCallister, Kiki, Kodiak, landspeedrecord, light rail coyote, lights, loadletter, Lonesome Hobo, looselimbs, lordofdiapers, lunatic96, manunderer, mchamartin, mcwop23, messier object, milknight, Milquetoaster Strudels, Mine Is Clouds, Mr Spaceship, Mr Squishy, mutism, naturemorte, nice pass, nocents, npc, oglop, palmer eldritch, Pashmina, patrick cokane?, Paul, pinkerton, Pops Freshenmeyer, Poptone, pretty yeoman, PublixUltimate, pzadvance, Render, scrumptown, secondskin, sevenarts, sex cauldron, Shalabi, shark week, shirts optional, Sissy Spacerock, snitch, Sobieski, son of chucky, southpaw, spencasaurus, staple, Steve & Co, super gas, surly, swan, table for one, techno beats, terminus, tgk, thanksbutnothanksman, The Dirty Turtle, This Guy, Thrills, Tom Cruise, trope, turquoise albino, unbiaseddairylodge, unpredictable landlord, VHGisdead, viachicago, Viz, wakeman, Warranty, wolfie, worrywort, wuk