The Cure appreciation thread

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby Plainsong » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:30 pm

Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Plainsong
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:08 am
Location: Perth

Postby Milk » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:31 pm

I love the cure.



That's my contribution.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
User avatar
Milk
 
Posts: 6658
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:56 am
Location: Shut the fuck up Milk

Postby Plainsong » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:32 pm

Milk wrote:I love the cure.



That's my contribution.


Fair enough. :D
User avatar
Plainsong
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:08 am
Location: Perth

Postby FourLegsGood » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:34 pm

#͎̤̹͍͇͢w͙͍̼̪̼̜̓̍̿ͯë̴̠́̿̋i͈̯̘̖̻͕͛ͦ͗̂̽͜r͓̫̻̱̤̅̉ͩͥ͑͠ḑ̪͈̱̲̮͓̰̂ͭ̇n̵̫͇̖̻̯̻͖͒i͙̐̊͐g̠̹̩͈͡ͅh̨͉̜t̔̿ͫ͛ͥ
User avatar
FourLegsGood
 
Posts: 4042
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:20 pm
Location: Riverdale

Postby Plainsong » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:36 pm

User avatar
Plainsong
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:08 am
Location: Perth

Postby palmer eldritch » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:37 pm

I've never really listened to an album by The Cure do you think I should
User avatar
palmer eldritch
 
Posts: 24264
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:41 pm

Postby Plainsong » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:40 pm

palmer eldritch wrote:I've never really listened to an album by The Cure do you think I should

Yeah, if you'd like. I recommend starting with either Standing On A Beach singles 1978-1985 or Disintegration.
Last edited by Plainsong on Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Plainsong
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:08 am
Location: Perth

Postby trellisaze » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:41 pm

don't you think this is a bit on the nose

you don't see me starting slowdive appreciation threads now do you
User avatar
trellisaze
 
Posts: 10375
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:13 pm
Location: DON'T EVER LOOK BACK GOOD DAYS AHEAD

Postby trellisaze » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:41 pm

i don't know, maybe i should. perhaps i have a thing or two to learn from the, relatively new to "these parts"
User avatar
trellisaze
 
Posts: 10375
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:13 pm
Location: DON'T EVER LOOK BACK GOOD DAYS AHEAD

Postby FourLegsGood » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:43 pm

#͎̤̹͍͇͢w͙͍̼̪̼̜̓̍̿ͯë̴̠́̿̋i͈̯̘̖̻͕͛ͦ͗̂̽͜r͓̫̻̱̤̅̉ͩͥ͑͠ḑ̪͈̱̲̮͓̰̂ͭ̇n̵̫͇̖̻̯̻͖͒i͙̐̊͐g̠̹̩͈͡ͅh̨͉̜t̔̿ͫ͛ͥ
User avatar
FourLegsGood
 
Posts: 4042
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:20 pm
Location: Riverdale

Postby FourLegsGood » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:43 pm

#͎̤̹͍͇͢w͙͍̼̪̼̜̓̍̿ͯë̴̠́̿̋i͈̯̘̖̻͕͛ͦ͗̂̽͜r͓̫̻̱̤̅̉ͩͥ͑͠ḑ̪͈̱̲̮͓̰̂ͭ̇n̵̫͇̖̻̯̻͖͒i͙̐̊͐g̠̹̩͈͡ͅh̨͉̜t̔̿ͫ͛ͥ
User avatar
FourLegsGood
 
Posts: 4042
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:20 pm
Location: Riverdale

Postby Plainsong » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:44 pm

trellisaze wrote:don't you think this is a bit on the nose

you don't see me starting slowdive appreciation threads now do you


Yeah I was worried it was extremely obvious but oh well. Your av is awesome by the way.
User avatar
Plainsong
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:08 am
Location: Perth

Postby Plainsong » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:49 pm

User avatar
Plainsong
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:08 am
Location: Perth

Postby Shotfrog » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:50 pm

Appreciate the Cure every day.
User avatar
Shotfrog
 
Posts: 8871
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:14 am
Location: Boston

Postby Plainsong » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:57 pm

User avatar
Plainsong
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:08 am
Location: Perth

Postby Milk » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:57 pm

Plainsong wrote:Image



i got a bit obsessed with Simon when i started playing bass at 17. Not only did i think he looked the coolest of the whole band (except maybe in his horrible goth mullet phase in the mid 80's), but i loved so many of his basslines (i learned to play to The cure pretty much) and I used to want to have his custom Dick Knight late 80s early 90's bass so badly (which i later found out he mostly got because Peter hook famously has a similar custom one he's been using since like the mid 80's). Not only did it look awesome, but it had the best sound. Those are the ones (the tuned down white one and the standard tuned black one) he's using in Show as seen on this one small picture i could find.

Image

Problem was i couldnt afford customs (nevermind a dick knight being that he's a small british luthier...). And the Gibson EB-2 the body is based on, well aside from being expensive, those basses sound like shit for my tastes (they're 60's basses that use that terrible Gibson neck mudbucker as they are infamously called, i mean if youre going for a 60's sound, great but to anyone else it sounds like ass). A few years ago when i had some money to spare though it became my obsession to finally get myself something similar, and i did. An obscure but affordable brand called Douglas was making one with the same Eb-2 body. It only has one humbucker in the middle and so it doesn't have the same range of sound, but it satisfies me enough. It's actually a really decent bass despite being only worth something like 500$. here it is on the left

Image


now, two decades too late for it, i can finally fantasy roleplay as Simon Gallup in my living room. Or even Peter Hook if i cared to.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
User avatar
Milk
 
Posts: 6658
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:56 am
Location: Shut the fuck up Milk

Postby lordofdiapers » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:58 pm

Youve got a lot of nerve
Stuntman wrote:Does anyone remember Late Night Cheeseburger? That was my jam. Tasted like BO.
User avatar
lordofdiapers
The Nappy King™
 
Posts: 22946
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:50 pm
Location: Parts Unknown

Postby goofysdeadwife69 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:01 pm

User avatar
goofysdeadwife69
Was Raised Christian
 
Posts: 20428
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:38 pm
Location: GIVE :CLAP: YOUR :CLAP: MONEY :CLAP: TO :CLAP: LIMP :CLAP: DICK :CLAP: SISSIES :CLAP:

Postby Esteban » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:02 pm

They're p good
User avatar
Esteban
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:28 am

Postby Plainsong » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:05 pm

Milk wrote:
Plainsong wrote:Image



i got a bit obsessed with Simon when i started playing bass at 17. Not only did i think he looked the coolest of the whole band (except maybe in his horrible goth mullet phase in the mid 80's), but i loved so many of his basslines (i learned to play to The cure pretty much) and I used to want to have his custom Dick Knight late 80s early 90's bass so badly (which i later found out he mostly got because Peter hook famously has a similar custom one he's been using since like the mid 80's). Not only did it look awesome, but it had the best sound. Those are the ones (the tuned down white one and the standard tuned black one) he's using in Show as seen on this one small picture i could find.

Image

Problem was i couldnt afford customs (nevermind a dick knight being that he's a small british luthier...). And the Gibson EB-2 the body is based on, well aside from being expensive, those basses sound like shit for my tastes (they're 60's basses that use that terrible Gibson neck mudbucker as they are infamously called, i mean if youre going for a 60's sound, great but to anyone else it sounds like ass). A few years ago when i had some money to spare though it became my obsession to finally get myself something similar, and i did. An obscure but affordable brand called Douglas was making one with the same Eb-2 body. It only has one humbucker in the middle and so it doesn't have the same range of sound, but it satisfies me enough. It's actually a really decent bass despite being only worth something like 500$. here it is on the left

Image


now, two decades too late for it, i can finally fantasy roleplay as Simon Gallup in my living room. Or even Peter Hook if i cared to.

That's amazing Milk. :D Simon still is the coolest looking in the band. I had the exact same obsession but with Boris Williams when I first started playing the drums at 13. I'm still struck with a lot of his drum patterns. Have you ever seen them in concert?
User avatar
Plainsong
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:08 am
Location: Perth

Postby Plainsong » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:10 pm

User avatar
Plainsong
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:08 am
Location: Perth

Postby Plainsong » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:10 pm

User avatar
Plainsong
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:08 am
Location: Perth

Postby Plainsong » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:17 pm

User avatar
Plainsong
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:08 am
Location: Perth

Postby trellisaze » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:22 pm

there was a period of about 2 weeks the winter of 2012-2013 where i just listened to join the dots & the mellon collie box set

goddamn those were a good two weeks even if i was completely miserable, i need that back, where did my youth go
User avatar
trellisaze
 
Posts: 10375
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:13 pm
Location: DON'T EVER LOOK BACK GOOD DAYS AHEAD

Postby trellisaze » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:23 pm

like i distinctly remember waking up at 3pm those days, making a pot of coffee, & putting either of those on on shuffle, & by the time i was done with my coffee, it was already dark & time to go out drinking
User avatar
trellisaze
 
Posts: 10375
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:13 pm
Location: DON'T EVER LOOK BACK GOOD DAYS AHEAD

Postby Milk » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:24 pm

Plainsong wrote:



i love this show. the whole of it is on YT.


and yes ive seen them live but way too late, 2004 on the Curiosa tour. Still i enjoyed the show a damn lot.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
User avatar
Milk
 
Posts: 6658
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:56 am
Location: Shut the fuck up Milk

Postby Plainsong » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:26 pm

Milk wrote:
Plainsong wrote:



i love this show. the whole of it is on YT.


and yes ive seen them live but way too late, 2004 on the Curiosa tour. Still i enjoyed the show a damn lot.

Cool. I saw them mid last year finally! But it was well worth the wait. :D
User avatar
Plainsong
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:08 am
Location: Perth

Postby Milk » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:27 pm

trellisaze wrote:there was a period of about 2 weeks the winter of 2012-2013 where i just listened to join the dots & the mellon collie box set

goddamn those were a good two weeks even if i was completely miserable, i need that back, where did my youth go




listen (buddy boy) if your youth is just 5 to 4 years away, you're not that bad off. And you're certainly still young.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
User avatar
Milk
 
Posts: 6658
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:56 am
Location: Shut the fuck up Milk

Postby Plainsong » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:28 pm

Last edited by Plainsong on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Plainsong
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:08 am
Location: Perth

Postby fester » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:28 pm

I think I first saw them in 1992? Wish tour. I have seen them 5 times i think. Always a great show even if the album they're touring for is garbage. They manage to make even their bad songs sound good.
LETS-GO-POOP
User avatar
fester
 
Posts: 17484
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:00 pm
Location: probably somewhere dumb

Next

Return to Free-For-All

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: A WOMAN IN TROUBLE, Alice, Big Oil, bluemovers, captain, carlperkins, cartola, chimp, Christmas Ape, cooly, criss elliott, deep blue meanies, demis, dogfight giggle, easy, endless dave, Esteban, Ferrous Bueller, FourLegsGood, freezinseason, gambra, goofysdeadwife69, Google [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, Grey Poupon, grindrdaddy, hey nathan, hoopdog, jalapeño ranch, kid8, loaf angel, lordofdiapers, messier object, Mister E, nautical hyperblast, normal finkenstein, pablito, palmer eldritch, Paul, pauline walnuts, pinkerton, Poptone, quilty, ripersnifle, sadville, ScaredGopher, screaming emphysema, Shalabi, Slamwich Artist, Sobieski, staple, trellisaze, trope, VHGisdead