Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Mandingo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:51 am

extremity is really good. I'd agree with hot finger's take on it for sure. one thing i would like to say is that despite it being as really violent book it doesn't feel like an invincible or a lesser warren ellis book where the violence is only there as flavor and shock value. violence in extremity is brutal, but it's also incredibly emotional and weighty. it's up there with the best of garth ennis' work honestly
Mandingo

Postby Alonso » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:08 am

I'm not a big comic reader at all, though I'm trying to change this. This thread has given me several good options to seek out.

But I will say that East of West is hands down one of the best things I have ever read and I'm so glad I caught it while it is in its run.
Alonso

Postby creationist » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:03 am

Holler if you're ever in Nashville I'll hook you up
creationist

Postby bobble » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:27 am

been waiting for this thread all year, thank you everyone

i usually find a few christmas gifts to buy for friends in this thread every year, cant wait to dig into a bunch of things i've never read

love seeing recs on stuff / runs that ended or was fully collected this year too, love being able to give a complete collection sometimes :)

thanks ya'll for sharing
bobble

Postby Alonso » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:38 am

creationist wrote:Holler if you're ever in Nashville I'll hook you up

Alonso

Postby tonybricker » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:37 pm

nocents wrote:dropping a post here so this shows up in my posts

and because i look forward to this thread every goddamn year

this exactly

I read much less comics this year than I usually do. My list in no order except with East of West definitely sitting at #1

East of West
The Vision
Punisher: Platoon
Mister Miracle
LOW
Silver Surfer

So much stuff in this thread I want to get to.
tonybricker

Postby iarracht » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:10 am

bobble wrote:been waiting for this thread all year, thank you everyone

thanks ya'll for sharing
iarracht

Postby baleen » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:58 am

always love this thread. good to see East Of West getting notice - thats been a consistently entertaining and beautiful book.
The answer is simple: artisanship.
baleen

Postby Hal Jordan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:42 am

Might get antigone soon.
well that was intense
Hal Jordan

Postby sevenarts » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:34 pm

Mandingo wrote:extremity is really good. I'd agree with hot finger's take on it for sure. one thing i would like to say is that despite it being as really violent book it doesn't feel like an invincible or a lesser warren ellis book where the violence is only there as flavor and shock value. violence in extremity is brutal, but it's also incredibly emotional and weighty. it's up there with the best of garth ennis' work honestly

I'm 4 issues into Extremity now and it is clearly really something special. Definitely agree with the above (and HFC) that it's visceral and violent and yet it's far from just flashy action, there's this real emotional heaviness to it that really makes you feel the weight on all the characters as the violence keeps accumulating and these cycles of revenge keep playing out. Very impressive. The art is great for the big widescreen action scenes but also really sells those quieter but devastating emotional beats.

I also caught up on Black Bolt and USAvengers thanks to this thread and I'm glad I did although neither ascended to "best" status for me. Black Bolt mostly did it for me based on the art but it's a solid, brooding take on this fairly inscrutable and non-traditional character as well, I like how internal it is. Good companion piece to Royals and together those two represent the best argument Marvel has made for the Inhumans (not saying much, I know). USA was definitely Ewing's best take on a more mainline superhero book, since his previous stabs at the Avengers did almost nothing for me. It's a lot of fun and Ewing continues to prove that he could be Marvel's answer to Peter Tomasi, carrying on the characters and concepts that Hickman did at Marvel the way Tomasi often does for Morrison at DC.
sevenarts

Postby Drinky » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:35 am

tonybricker wrote:
nocents wrote:dropping a post here so this shows up in my posts

I'm still buying comics regularly, but I'm like 9 months behind on reading them or something stupid like that. I've bought every issue of Black Bolt and Mister Miracle so far and haven't read any of them. For indie stuff I often end up hanging onto things even longer. I still haven't read Ganges 5 or 6, and I think I'm like a dozen issues behind on Stray Bullets.
Drinky

Postby manvstrees » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:59 am

20. Image

Heavy Metal 283, 286 - The Smile of the Absent Cat

So far so good on this one, (mostly the dreadful second chapter) taking place right in one of Morrison's best spheres: haunting occurrences in cartoon worlds. It looks like this might be released as a standalone graphic novel this year, which I am very down with. Mr Catkins is on the stand, found guilty of a murder he didn't commit while investigating Algernon Pussyfoot. Reality is going wrong around him, with relevant Tarot cards invading the panels is just this odd trite minor goofy Morrison on autopilot thing that for no reason in the world starts working really well as a sort of dreadful slapstick noir. Also I'm a cat guy from way back, maybe this is the inner dreamlife or dying visions of Greg Feely's cat in the Filth.

this was a weird year
Flutehampton will turn out to have always been relished by women who dwell in or near to the past. This is where The Little Reptiles were digitally collected. In recent decades it has become a popular photographic background whenever a maverick cop marries a hooker with a heart of gold.
manvstrees

Postby manvstrees » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:24 am

19. The Mighty Thor - 21

Image Image
Aaron still killing it on this book all year, which some scheduling hiccups? Probably just some reading hiccups on my part, but renumberings and anniversary issues and such always throw things off a little, as well as the just unbearingly long-winded nature of the war of five realms (which is honestly the exact way to tackle a fantasy epic, so.....points). So somehow my pick of the year is just some straightforward action with Volstagg the jolly drunken Asgardian becoming traumatized into picking up his own twisted hammer and becoming "the War Thor", which is just such dumb Jason Aaron fun (and not even Dautermann on art!) The unworthy Thor and Jane Foster share a potent moment, Senator Solomon shows up in her red flying sportscar, the zany superhero action is just turned up to 11 and completely slays.
Flutehampton will turn out to have always been relished by women who dwell in or near to the past. This is where The Little Reptiles were digitally collected. In recent decades it has become a popular photographic background whenever a maverick cop marries a hooker with a heart of gold.
manvstrees

Postby manvstrees » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:41 am

18. Batman - 33

Image Image
Love to hear what the proper pick is, single issue-wise. I am real down on Tom King's voice on his Batman run, it keeps failing for me as soon as it succeeds for a minute. But that doesn't stop me from noticing this killer issue that comes after the shock of the Catwoman engangement. Tom King quiet intense stuff, traveling across the desert on horseback (definitely the adventure everyone pictured coming next), and the Bat-family at home learning the news and freaking out, with callbacks to .........ok what the fuck is Talia doing alive again. What a bunch of bullshit. Still a great issue. Such bullshit.
But Dick Grayson and Damien's connection, Bat-Cow mention, Joelle Jones art almost doing a Yanick Paquette thing, looking great. I'm eating it up.
(Such bullshit.)
manvstrees

Postby manvstrees » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:07 am

17. Saucer State - 5

Throwback Tuesday, Paul Cornell is back, writing a Saucer Country follow-up for the one guy who was clamoring for it.......this guy right here. What's left to say about UFO nonsense, which now feels scummy and deplorable in an era of just zero tolerance on any conspiracy theory talk of any kind. Tackling or embracing all this involves a female president under attack by something posing as invading aliens, far-right elements also being manipulated into obstructing her agendas, and drug-trips where we make contact with the OG aliens - faeries. Its exactly how you do both entertaining comics and UFO mythology correctly: tulpas, night terrors, microwave induced hallucinations, political machinations with secret government programs that probably accomplish nothing. John Keel in the West Wing.

Last edited by manvstrees on Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
manvstrees

Postby manvstrees » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:08 am

i hope this is ok, i think last year it was fuckin march before i got it together
manvstrees

Postby manvstrees » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:49 am

16. Injection - 15

Year two of Ellis's Injection ends with this Celtic technopoltergeist invasion and village massacre, finally shut down by the Injection team's hacker/spy. Warren Ellis technojargon (there's a lot of technos, i'll probably do it a third time) and cutting cynical dialogue is so subdued here by the exact correct amount of silent disturbing action and violence on Shelvy's end.....this fuckin partnership is crucial to the medium at this point and the team should always have a book on the stands, really special stuff. I definitely miss the best element of the series, which is the subtitles of the Injection itself speaking/narrating/mocking the protagonists who are to blame for its existence, but I do adore the scene that transitions us through the break in the series to get us to year 3. The character sortof acting as audience surrogate has a visceral terror of the scifi world she's involved in, and the two characters stepping into a teleporter....these aren't new ideas or anything but Ellis executes them very well here.

Image Image
manvstrees

Postby HotFingersClub » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:28 am

So glad you could make it MVT. Can I take your coat? Some prosecco perhaps?
HotFingersClub

Postby sevenarts » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:29 am

Is it March already? :shock:

That Injection issue really was a standout. I think I tend to underrate that book sometimes, or take it for granted or whatever, but it's really dependably great.
sevenarts

Postby manvstrees » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:17 pm

15. Batman: White Knight - 2

Love the world that Sean Murphy is building here, very much taking the cue from Dark Knight and using Batman himself in a very limited fashion in a Joker story. The issue references lots of bits of Batman lore I'm less familiar with - multiple Harleys (legacy Harley?), the plight of Mr. Freeze (very animated series here). The way the series handles some of the Gotham politics is also fascinating. There's a Batman damages relief fund that the taxpayers are getting sick of, and Jack Napier is running for councilman while using Clayface and Mad Hatter tech to somehow mind control all of Gotham's villains, keeping the heroes busy. As wild and frantic as Murphy's art is, somehow he really shines when he gets down to the romance which issue 2 is full of. Best New Series 2017?

manvstrees

Postby manvstrees » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:58 pm

14. Klaus and the Crisis in Xmasville - 1

Permit me to do my thing here: this is starting to look like the kinds of book I need from Grant Morrison to start saving our shit world and get us back to Universe A. Wonder Woman vol2 might also help, but trying to shift culture from Heavy Metal editorial isn't cutting it. Dark Santa from the Universe of Eternal Night has joined forces with the Pola Cola corporation, and the Xmasville themetown they use for their workforce. Klaus is on the case once he gets the call from Kate's yuletide starter's pistol. Immediately we're tripping out in this book, very quickly there are anti-life imagination-sucking flying saucers, memories of sieges of Santa's workshop and battles with illusory Martian armies. Klaus gets rescued by his own Klaus-family of mythical heroes, a Christmas League, transported to a Klauscave by Grandfather Frost and Snowmaiden. Things get into Final Crisis territory for a second in round 2, but Klaus drops off the Santasignal gun to a new generation once he and Snowmaiden kill DarkWerewolfSanta and all is well, children are free to imagine a potential future again. I gotta get my niece caught up on Klaus.

manvstrees

Postby manvstrees » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:23 pm

13. Ultimates Squared - 9

The penultimate one is probably the best this year, what with the Maker summoning Death Celestials to battle Golden Lifebringer Galactus and his Eternity Watch. God I love when a baller new team is introduced, more of this to come in a second, but I often think back to Remender's insane Age of Apocalypse villain team. Guys just throwing a million ideas at the page, which is very much in line with Ewing's approach on this book. Ewing is still the one keeping Hickman's spirit alive in the MU. We've got Owen Reece having sent the Maker to the 616 Earth for this mission....everything feels insanely catastrophic and epic. I love how the Ultimates team are yanked directly out of a crossover and back into their prime story here. And what turns the tide in this cosmic hell is Black Panther just being a badass, that always helps a comic. I mean the First Firmament is devouring Eternity, ......vs Black Panther. The issue ends with the brief return of the old Ultimates, a very cool use of a properly jettisoned universe. Original Ultimates feels so stale and passe, but you immediately get a sense of the intensity and power level involved, it does feel different than if just some proper avengers showed up to help out. Really gonna miss this series.

manvstrees

Postby manvstrees » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:49 pm

12. Nick Fury - 2

Robinson and Aco's Son of Fury James Bond series was absolutely a year highlight. Trade is going to be a snap purchase, I need all these day-glo kaleidoscope adventure panels in my hands. Marks the first time I've approved of this character existing, and the first time I've really responded to Robinson's work in I don't know when. All these issues were lovely, this was a kindof random choice based on some art and environment, but there's a train heist issue, a vegas caper, an underwater Atlantean mission. This thing had to jump off the stands, right? Feels like the thing that would most reward purchasing singles on any given week. Winner of the 2017 Michael Fiffe Sugar Rush trophy for sure.

manvstrees

Postby manvstrees » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:23 pm

11. Secret Weapons - 4

Big shout-out to HotFingersClub for this one. What a supercool book of rag-tag rejects with dumb superpowers saving the day against all odds. Nikki can talk to birds. Owen can manifest random items that he doesn't know why he needs, often in mid-fight (a balloon! an.....umbrella!). Avichal turns to a stone statue at will (the ultra-powerful villain just pushes him into a pool). They're all on the lam, being hunted by a killer robot. Like Prophet, (though with source material that holds up better) I adore when creators rewire the very dated lore of these comic universes to do something charming and innovative. The machinations of Harada and his Harbinger program are always going to be a rewarding place to mine. Out of it probably came the most charming series of the year for me.

manvstrees

Postby manvstrees » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:48 pm

10. Marvel Legacy - 1

Killer Stone Age Avenger team lineup: Odin, Agamatto, the Spirit of Vengeance, Phoenix, an early Iron Fist, a Black Panther, StarbrandHulk. Gods fighting Celestials in prehistory, totally in preShield Legacy territory by Aaron and that gem from the last time this universe seemed this thrilling: Esad Ribic! Aaron destroys this issue, and every snippet about the upcoming Marvel U story arcs feels genuinely exciting and full of potential (much more so than 90% of them are going to pan out. The energy is going to remain packed into this issue, the actual comics to come are only going to neuter it until legacy 2. for instance, this wolverine resurrection is such far out zany fun here, yet it's going to become 4 separate miniseries detailing how wolverine returns and there is zero chance that's going to be any good). As little movie trailers these really all work: Return to Planet Hulk, Intergalatic Wakanda, Norman Osborn trying to infiltrate the Sanctum Sanctorum, depressed redemptive Deadpool, etc. The central plots are also completely engaging, and this panicking vengeful Starbrand warning of the Final Host awakening is as terrifying as the ending is the most balm Marvel U moment I can imagine. Lot to love here. Aaron was given the keys before and it did not work at all, he was best building his own little universes, but I'm totally on board for his second stab at it.

manvstrees

Postby manvstrees » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:08 pm

9. Deadly Class - 26

OH FUCK YES. I mean in hindsight, of course, but the execution is wonderful and a side note is how it's still dragging out the best will they/won't they in comics right now, Marcus and Saya. Such a fist-pump of a comic here, this is the sort of issue I'd still hold up as being far more fun than going to the movies. Remender and Craig forever. This one was so fun that, as immune to spoilers as I think this thread is, I just don't want to type it out.

manvstrees

Postby manvstrees » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:32 pm

ImageImage

8. The Old Guard - 2

I keep typing about a Best New Series of 2017 and I keep forgetting the next one. Rucka and Fernandez's near perfect series starts its second issue with a montage of love interests throughout the millenia, and of immortals who suddenly weren't. The newest immortal, Sergeant Freeman, needs some convincing. The series is leading up to our strike team of immortals found out and betrayed in this sortof supernatural mission impossible, right in Rucka's wheelhouse. Instantly classic and atmospheric on the level of Black Monday Murders.

manvstrees

Postby manvstrees » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:00 pm

7. Extremity - 9

Somehow my favorite characters in Extremity so far are Rollo and Shiloh. In issue five there's a stellar panel of Shiloh the robot sprawled out and lifeless while Rollo talks to him like an imaginary friend, and issues later we see Rollo risking everything to locate some scrap that can act as a battery to revive his robot pal. Even more than Thea toughening up, at times taking on the legacy of her father and ruthlessly killing anyone in her way, at others refusing to go as far as he's willing to, acts of torture to revenge what the war has done to their family, etc. More than this is Rollo the disgraced weak brother, still acting absolutely heroically and having no hesitation when the shit hits the fan to act, only hesitating to kill. He was being played as if he were a pacifist and just not cut out for any of this, and it doesn't seem the case at all, he's just not going to leave bodies in his wake. Shiloh isn't really limited to any of that, and I loved watching him tear out of the belly of a demon to get back to hanging out with his best buddy.
Not all the elements of Extremity totally land for me, this single issue also seems pivotal for the shamanic naming ritual that we don't get to hear at the issue's end. Daniel Warren Johnson is definitely a treasure this year.

manvstrees

Postby manvstrees » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:21 pm

ImageImage

6. East of West - 34

-Chamberlain admits to Xiaolian that he was behind the assassination attempt
-Death and Babylon skip rocks on the lake
-Xiaolian's own top assassin, the First Widow, finds out that Chamberlain is still the fastest gun in the Weast
-This is the most I squealed at a comic in 2017

manvstrees

Postby acapelli » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:50 pm

Don't know why I didn't post in this thread before. Pretty much all my favorites my favorites have been posted except for Black Hammer
acapelli

PreviousNext

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.