Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby gallits » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:02 am

Laura Dern reminded me of Sarah Champion which annoyed me a bit.
gallits

Postby glock mane » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:10 am

The salt line made me think they were going to use the salt
glock mane

Postby Gutslab » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:11 am

I love how those red knights put up a good fight. I was legitimately terrified the entire time, didn't feel like your typical disposable hoard of henchmen.
Gutslab

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:24 am

supreme leader snoke IS dario argento
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:25 am

so luke winking at c-3po was cause 3po could tell it wasn't really him, right? like a "shh" kinda thing? loved that moment
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Guffaw » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:35 am

so star wars nerds all over the internet are genuinely angry and upset that rey's parents are nobodies and snoke is (probably) no one special either. those are literally the best possible outcomes for those 'mysteries', I was so relieved. I can't imagine how lame it would be if rey or snoke were related to the skywalkers/obiwan/palpatine

I've seen 'betrayal to the OT' thrown around and speculations that rian johnson secretly hates star wars. I hate nerds so much
Guffaw

Postby Bob511 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:45 am

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:so luke winking at c-3po was cause 3po could tell it wasn't really him, right? like a "shh" kinda thing? loved that moment

I think it's more that fucking with Threepio's head is irresistible even halfway across the galaxy.
universe, you can't play the willfully ignorant, but partisan bleeding heart
Bob511

Postby Bob511 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:47 am

Then again, I thought the salt thing was more an assistant-director cameo gag than any sort of exposition, but apparently that was just a coincidence of names.
Bob511

Postby r m » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:50 am

Bob511 wrote:Then again, I thought the salt thing was more an assistant-director cameo gag than any sort of exposition, but apparently that was just a coincidence of names.

Well, the guy next to the "Salt!" guy is Gareth Edwards.

Who was kinda relegated to AD on his own film.
r m

Postby hbb » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:56 am

shirts optional wrote:Maz Kanata, union buster

No Maz, no rathars
Last edited by hbb on Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
hbb

Postby Bob511 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:57 am

And the character on his other side was named Frendo Pee, so who knows what they were going for with that scene!
Bob511

Postby alex » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:00 am

Guffaw wrote:so star wars nerds all over the internet are genuinely angry and upset that rey's parents are nobodies and snoke is (probably) no one special either. those are literally the best possible outcomes for those 'mysteries', I was so relieved. I can't imagine how lame it would be if rey or snoke were related to the skywalkers/obiwan/palpatine

lol
alex

Postby Viz » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:11 am

Loved the movie, and good to see that most of the regulars from the Star Wars thread are also on board.

Loved the shoulder wipe. Thought both Sabre battles were better than the TFA ones.

Loved what they did with the Rey parents reveal, though I’m still not sure what was the point of Luke’s lightsaber “calling out” to Rey. I’m guessing it has to do with Rey being strong with the force and the Sabre having lots of Force reaidue since it was used by two Skywalkers?
Viz

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:25 am

Viz wrote:L
Loved the shoulder wipe.

yeah i can understand why people don't like this, but that gesture works just as well outside of the current cultural context so i think it's believable as a cool badass move in that universe
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:32 am

The transition from getting used to PTSD Vet Luke to Jesus Luke was awesome.

I demanded Jedi Master Luke in combat and I got it. Much more like I imagined the Jedi in their prime than what we got in the PT.

And his little staff fight with Rey was great.

I couldn't tell if he used the Force to stop himself from falling on the stone steps. That's what I presumed from the focus on his hands.
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:33 am

i need a gif of the milk scene.
Last edited by Rainbow Battle Kid on Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby delgriffith » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:34 am

tgk wrote:Gonna post this now before reading sixteen pages of takes. First and foremost this smokes the OT and every other film like a roach.

lol I feel even better about which side I'm on now.
delgriffith

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:46 am

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:i need a gif of the milk scene.

This is supposed to be blue milk, right?

Can't believe people didn't enjoy that scene. Hamill's expression was outstanding.
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby alex » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:49 am

Smiling Penner-Lite wrote:
Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:i need a gif of the milk scene.

This is supposed to be blue milk, right?

Can't believe people didn't enjoy that scene. Hamill's expression was outstanding.

rey quickly attempting not to make eye contact as he swilled it down got a good lol from my theatre too
alex

Postby Durham » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:18 pm

How often are you this
Durham

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:38 pm

Oh I guess it's green milk, thanks.
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby furrowed brow » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:44 pm

Def feel like this is only newer SW movie that can stand with the OT.
furrowed brow

Postby loaf angel » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:47 pm

I think the one thing that irked me and I don't think it was mentioned was how cool Leia was about Luke going out to murder her son.
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron
loaf angel

Postby r m » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:49 pm

I mean, she tried to give him another chance a few days earlier and he responded by gutting her husband, so...
r m

Postby loaf angel » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:05 pm

fair enough. Leia is a shit mom is what we're positing then
loaf angel

Postby loaf angel » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:06 pm

Star Wars: We Need To Talk About Kylo
loaf angel

Postby variegated reality » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:28 pm

The biggest thing that irked me was the lack of thrust or drive that the overall narrative had. Like that was the lamest possible "chase" and it took up, what, 2/3rds of the movie? Aside from that there were a few minor quibbles mostly to do with the script. And I liked the idea of seeing Leia use the force to save herself but the execution could have been less hokey. As others have said, Laura Dern and Canto Bight were wasted. That entire section could have been excised and really the only thing you lose is Rose giving some expository character development, and I guess Benicio, who I liked.

Everything else was pretty good. I dug Snoke getting the axe unexpectedly and the ensuing throne room scene. I gobbled up the cheap Porg jokes, and would have been fine with more Porg action, especially on the Falcon with Chewie. Looking forward to seeing it again.
variegated reality

Postby furrowed brow » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:35 pm

variegated reality wrote:The biggest thing that irked me was the lack of thrust or drive that the overall narrative had. Like that was the lamest possible "chase" and it took up, what, 2/3rds of the movie?

Yeah, also it's a little hard to believe that all the Rey\Luke stuff is contemporaneous with it. The movie def has big narrative flaws, but the good stuff was good enough for me basically to forget about them. idk, that might chage with future viewings.
furrowed brow

Postby tgk » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:36 pm

the few seconds of slow mo after rey and ren get their sabres in the throne room then jumping to full speed was so sick
tgk

Postby Feech La Manna » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:39 pm

furrowed brow wrote:
variegated reality wrote:The biggest thing that irked me was the lack of thrust or drive that the overall narrative had. Like that was the lamest possible "chase" and it took up, what, 2/3rds of the movie?

Yeah, also it's a little hard to believe that all the Rey\Luke stuff is contemporaneous with it. The movie def has big narrative flaws, but the good stuff was good enough for me basically to forget about them. idk, that might chage with future viewings.

ESB has this same problem, but even worse. It doesn't really bother me.
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

PreviousNext

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.