Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Bad Craziness » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:49 pm

at the same time I appreciate the need to reflect the times and I totally respect the observation that's been made of "hmmmm, one generation defeats fascism, but then it re-emerges and the next generation has to deal with it...sound familiar?"

I want to believe that they could have done it more gracefully while also avoiding any godawful "senate drama" subplots like in PT
Bad Craziness

Postby Gutslab » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:54 pm

"Luke Skywalker projecting a force ghost across the galaxy to fuck with Kylo Ren" is the level of asshole I truly aspire to be.
Gutslab

Postby reversemigraine » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:56 pm

Bad craziness wrote:at this point I really want to know how much was planned for 8 and 9 by the time they had locked the shooting script for 7

Pretty sure there were no plans for 8 and 9 when the script locked. Johnson came on around the time Ford was injured during the TFA shoot. Supposedly his main input was during editing -- he asked Abrams to change some of the stuff in Rey's vision (he may have been mostly/fully responsible for the entire vision, since that scene was originally supposed to be a big flashback montage about Luke's lightsaber and the destruction of his Jedi school, all narrated by Maz).

Most of what we know about Lucas' treatments come from the Art of TFA book, but it's hard to tell what was George and what was Arndt. Rey/Kira being a scavenger is the main thing that carried over. There would have been something about Jedi hunters.
reversemigraine

Postby reversemigraine » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:00 am

I just remembered that Chris Terrio is writing IX.

We're doomed!
reversemigraine

Postby buriedinspace » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:05 am

basenjis chortle wrote:post the time of day you saw it and how full the theatre was and what the people next to you were like

1. 10 AM Friday morning
2. Sold out
3. woman to the right of me was pouring vodka into a fountain cup during the previews (and using the cup holder to her left (mine by law))
guy to the left me of me was dressed in slacks and button shirt, tie, that obviously took a very long lunch break. he freaked out when ben and rey teamed up

10:30 Thursday
Sold Out
There was someone who disgustedly asked 'when did THAT happen' about the Miles Morales Spider-Man trailer. Didn't notice much else tho
I try to avoid enjoyable romps whenever I can. -Armond White
*cough*https://www.gofundme.com/help-me-out-paying-it-gt-later*cough*
buriedinspace

Postby surly » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:06 am

I'm extremely mad i didnt get to see that spider-man trailer on the big screen
lordofdiapers wrote:damn it Greedo will forever fuck that word for me
surly
the insult bastard

Postby Bad Craziness » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:07 am

yeah I remember browsing through the Art of TFA book and being shocked at how vague the starting premises were

because there are so many novels/comics where a huge amount of narrative structure is meticulously plotted out over a reasonably short period of "writing time"

but film scripts are a such a different animal and film franchises are another animal still, and then there's Star Wars
Bad Craziness

Postby KPH » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:13 am

2:25pm. I was one of ~10. So the laugh lines were, uh, well.

I expect I will like this a great deal after subsequent viewings when I adapt to RJ's continued weird pacing issues.
KPH

Postby bigcat » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:14 am

REY/KYLO 4EVER <3
bigcat

Postby hbb » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:22 am

reversemigraine wrote:I liked how Luke opted to project himself 20 pounds lighter and with a newly Just for Men'd beard.

Maybe he hadn’t seen himself in a mirror for a while
hbb

Postby endless dave » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:35 am

hbb wrote:
reversemigraine wrote:I liked how Luke opted to project himself 20 pounds lighter and with a newly Just for Men'd beard.

Maybe he hadn’t seen himself in a mirror for a while

He projected how Ben last saw him
endless dave

Postby Bad Craziness » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:30 am

it's been less than 20 hours I'm already dying to see it again

looks like my next one is sunday evening

it's shocking how much each new star wars movie sends shockwaves through my emotional body, back and forth between me and my inner 11-year old

I was so into Star Wars when I was younger it'd be admissible as evidence for being on the spectrum
Bad Craziness

Postby qmass » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:33 am

I think I liked it?

Extremely messy, but lots of very cool stand-out moments.
qmass

Postby davideotape » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:37 am

Thats how i feel 24 hrs later. Liked it a lot but it came on a bit too strong. I’ll probably see it 3 more times before it leaves theaters
davideotape

Postby surly » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:17 am

have i mentioned that this movie fucking rules
surly
the insult bastard

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:18 am

Saw it again. 1215 pm IMAX sold out, 745 3D VIP sold out.

2nd time thru the ships going super slow was almost kinda comical.

Very clear the major characters all had pretty defined arcs but Rian had no real idea what to do with Finn, and the comments about his cowardice I agree with. Didn't take it as far as they should have, and they could have if they didn't have the slicer plotline.

2nd time through I question if they needed that at all. With all due respect to the great balance the film had with female characters, Rose felt like a "let's get an Asian woman and get her to me a new main character", and then Finn was the logical attachment.

It's Star Wars, I enjoy it all, but Canto Brite or whatever could be excised completely.

It really felt right emotionally, and I think that's why it was a success. It was very entertaining.

I felt like, especially after Round 2, if Rian had marching orders to wipe out as much of that old SW feel as possible.

I mean, Carrie has passed so only OT characters left are Chewie and the droids.

Nobody answered their distress call. Snoke is gone and the Knights Of Ren are gone.

So it's Hux and Ren and that's about it.

Abrams could really do almost anything.
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby surly » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:21 am

also canto bight rules
surly
the insult bastard

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:31 am

Man back when I was a JC forums mod I'd be poring over every detail. I don't care as much in my old age.

I was anxious about them making a new "Grey Jedi/Force" and I'm glad Rian kept it simple and just said "hey there's always going to be bad people, so you'd better have good people too."

The stuff with the Force was all cool. Man Luke can like physically project not only himself but other stuff (the dice), that was amazing.

The JC forums nerd in me would be wondering why Yoda wasn't as ghostly and blue this time around and he seemed corporeal, just like Luke.

Is this a new power, like something is happening to the Force, or just pure mastery by Yoda and Luke?

Also wonder if Rian read the original treatment of ROTJ where Obi-Wan's ghost comes back and fights the Emperor with Luke.

Are we going to see a connection between all Force users now where they can basically be physically present anytime they want? Could help the Rebellion be coordinated across the Galaxy.

If Rian's next trilogy really is brand new and won't have any of these characters I wonder how Abrams will choose to wrap things up.
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby tgk » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:40 am

Gonna post this now before reading sixteen pages of takes. First and foremost this smokes the OT and every other film like a roach. Rians use of close ups on everyone's faces was masterful. Driver and ridley absolutely killed it and their conversations through the film were the best part of the film. Can't over emphasize how good they were and how well they conveyed their conflicted emotions.

Best two scenes were the throne room which was all fist pumping triumph and lukes final scene which was truly a holy shit moment and brought the house down in the theater.

Out of the 2 and a half hours there was maybe 4 minutes i didn't really like, finn and rose riding those big chihuahuas and yoda, who looked terrible.
tgk

Postby Bad Craziness » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:51 am

Smiling Penner-Lite wrote:
The JC forums nerd in me would be wondering why Yoda wasn't as ghostly and blue this time around and he seemed corporeal, just like Luke.

Is this a new power, like something is happening to the Force, or just pure mastery by Yoda and Luke?

anything like this or like Thanos' armor or Wolverine's costume or something, the clear answer to me is

they screen tested like 5 different variations, and they tried all the things that seem obvious to us, and they looked at them all, and the one we end up seeing in theaters was the one that looked best

I guarantee you they did a test for the whole scene with a very blue and very translucent Yoda and they decided it didn't work and they were probably right
Bad Craziness

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:53 am

Yoda looked terrible for the first minute but then I thought he looked outstanding after that.

Loved the red salt design on Krait. Beautiful.

Rose/Finn chemistry wasn't there so I hope they're not going to force a relationship.

I really enjoyed Luke's death scene but really felt they could have saved that for Episode IX. Really Rian was not afraid to mess with our preconceptions.

I hope we get more of Grumpy Teacher Luke because I love it.

Him tickling Rey's hand with the leaf was hilarious.

Just read someone said all the Jedi books are on the Falcon at the end? No wonder Yoda said "everything Rey needs she has with her". Totally missed that.
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby tgk » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:58 am

They absolutely should have just had yodas voice and voice only speaking to Luke
tgk

Postby Bad Craziness » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:09 am

aw I loved seeing puppet yoda

I had the biggest giggliest grin that whole scene
Bad Craziness

Postby surly » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:14 am

well you have the advantage of not being an idiot guy
surly
the insult bastard

Postby kid pretentious » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:23 am

this fuckin owned. the ability to surprise in star wars was always bound to be polarizing.
kid pretentious

Postby light rail coyote » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:26 am

haven't read the thread yet but i loved this and here's just initial stray thoughts

-snoke was the only thing i truly disliked about TFA but he was excellent here. watching him manipulate kylo made him a lot more interesting than just a mysterious hologram. i did not see his death coming and thought it was effective. i loved the later scene with hux and kylo trying to pick up the pieces.

-leia spaceflight thing was probably the only thing i outright disliked but it was quick and everything else was so great so whatever.

-porgs lived up to expectations. crystal foxes were great. loved the caretakers.

-rose was great, her saving finn was one of the biggest applause lines from the audience at my showing.

-jesus mark hamill. i have a feeling the climax is one of the things people are polarized on and i can see why but i was 100% on board based on his performance alone.

-rey's parents being nobody's is exactly what i wanted and the reveal was perfect.

-kylo/rey force meld stuff was great and they're both just such great characters.

i'm sure there's more but i liked this a lot.
light rail coyote

Postby kid pretentious » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:37 am

The rose kiss was maybe shoe-horned but the line that led to it was really powerful.
kid pretentious

Postby Celiac Cruz » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:09 am

i thought this was great. there was a lot of beautiful stuff, the scene where luke describes the force, laura dern's hyperspace gambit, the salt planet, rey and kyle (who have such tension, i love them onscreen together)

the only things i have problems with are that the finn scenes were a little weird, and i don't necessarily understand poe. oscar isaac is one of my favorite actors, and i love everything he does, but poe i don't necessarily see what he does outside of being a hothead who acts as a foil for shrewdness or more cautious approaches.

it has flaws, but i fucking love every star wars movie, and i know i will watch this again and again with friends and just love it
delgriffith wrote:Images aren't showing up, Celiac Cruz :( Looks like they're on a Dropbox and need to be hosted somewhere else (like imgur?)
Celiac Cruz

Postby shirts optional » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:10 am

Maz Kanata, union buster
shirts optional

Postby Grey Poupon » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:20 am

Guy Incognito wrote:i'm pretty surprised a few pages back by now many people don't like gleeson/hux

i thought he was a joy every time he was on screen. just the perfect low rent version of tarkin/piett for this low rent version of the galactic empire.

I also like the fact his number 2 guy looks like he could be Piett’s son

I gotta say again, so many good British character actor faces in the supporting background cast
Loved the way the dreadnought captain was a grouch to the end. The first order feel like a fascist imperial UK more than your classic Naziish types which is cool
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
Grey Poupon

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....