Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby chairkicker » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:41 pm

i'm making this thread to talk about this in a broader sense, to talk about silent hill and half life 2 and mirror's edge and SKATE, but also as an excuse to talk about one criminally overlooked game

that game is project eden. and in this game's odd mix of lost vikings puzzle solving, half baked shooting and genetic horror one the thing that most holds it together is its wonderfully dense and clever realization of urban space. in this case the ruins of cities built on cities

and i've tried, i've really tried, but i doubt i ever convinced any of you to give it a shot. this is another try. i'll do a writeup on it later but in the meantime let's talk urban exploration in videogaming

^ that's mirror's edge, for the record
Last edited by chairkicker on Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chairkicker

Postby Ferrous Bueller » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:16 pm

this is half of the reason I even play videogames
Ferrous Bueller

Postby Flossed Out » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:28 pm

I have spent the last 4 or so years wandering around San Andreas. At this point I can pretty much get anywhere without a map.

Ama
choom gang
Flossed Out

Postby theta » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:29 pm

excited for this thread
hologram wrote:also music is done and already happened so enjoy all that Sisters of Mercy while you can
theta

Postby churrokbyme » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:57 pm

Nice! Half-life 2: Point Insertion was a really special thing.

I'm really obsessed with how L.A. is depicted in Vampire the Masquerade. Despite the dated graphics/NPC A.I. the city feels "lived in". I especially have a thing for exploring chinatowns in games.

My first playthrough I played as a Tremere. I thought how they did the Chantry was so cool - just the purple magic window amidst the many windows of the downtown cityscape to hint at something interesting inside.

churrokbyme

Postby Milk » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:38 pm

urban exploration in gamign used to be super my thing until living for 14 years in a city and now im kinda more into nature exploration in gaming.

it's like i want in a game what i can't have. So when i was a country kid, i dreamed of cityscapes, now that i live in the city, it`s the opposite.

I think also ive gotten too demanding for games in urban settings. Like in GTA V i was super disappointed at the small amounts of building you can even go into and even when you can there's never much a use to it. I'm tired of urban settings just being basically movie sets you can barely interact with and immerse yourself into. They're still too much of a background.

Still probably my dream game is a super detailed cyberpunk city in which i can get in at least 50% of the locations.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby warmhouse » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:43 pm

when im older and an established creative (or whatever) im going to do a pokemon snap-esque game that takes place on an island off the coast of *insert country* and for whatever reason is home to a large variety of unique animals. maybe there'll be some aspect of magic, but i haven't figured out the background yet. but there was a tsunami warning and so they've had to evacuate the island. before everyone goes back they send you in to document all the animals that have escaped from a zoo or something? no idea.

anyway, there's no storyline or danger or anything, its just you wandering around this island and documenting the animals. it'll look like this: https://ak8.picdn.net/shutterstock/vide ... height:160)

but to get the animals you need to solve puzzles, but not really overt portal shit, more like the sidequests from majoras mask. like for instance there's this one monkey that only comes out at night, so you have to be at a specific tree after dark or it wont turn up. then you click the camera and that's 1/500. then there's another one where if you want a fish or whatever to show up you have to drop food into one grate that leads to the sewer and then go down to the shore and tease it in further with more food. but if you didn't put the food in the grate on the other end of the town it would never have shown up.

things like that. you'd spend the entire time exploring this extremely detailed town/island/gta5 sized area with a history of all the workers and there'd be so much to read and listen to. a combination of majoras mask, pokemon snap and everybody's gone to the rapture, but without the overlaying melancholy that game has. it'll be pleasant. you can't die. it'll be ghibli-esque.

not sure why i wrote this but it'll clearly tick a few of the boxes mentioned here. its my dream.
warmhouse

Postby Flossed Out » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:54 pm

woah I would play that game.

milk I agree GTAV is a little disappointing re: interiors. I would have happily traded some of the outdoor space for more complex buildings. shit Vice City had a dang mall.
choom gang
Flossed Out

Postby xxx-xxx-xxxx » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:02 am

Deus ex was good for this.

It seemed like every door could be opened if you tried hard enough
WHITESOXXX-XXX-XXXX
xxx-xxx-xxxx

Postby warmhouse » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:13 am

xxx-xxx-xxxx wrote:Deus ex was good for this.

this video makes the case that it's the best open world game ever
warmhouse

Postby sailormoonvillain666@aol.com » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:45 am

i did a similar thread on small details in videogames! i think it was largely toilets and vending machines though. i really like how ppl do up bedrooms esp teen bedrooms. life is strange was really good for this, u could flick through record collections and have ur character make comments on the choices.
remember to please don't feed the trolls ;)
sailormoonvillain666@aol.com
(◠‿◠✿)(◠‿◠✿) kvlt (✿◠‿◠)(✿◠‿◠)

Postby warmhouse » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:47 pm

dragons69 wrote:i did a similar thread on small details in videogames! i think it was largely toilets and vending machines though. i really like how ppl do up bedrooms esp teen bedrooms. life is strange was really good for this, u could flick through record collections and have ur character make comments on the choices.

could you please link to that? i dont even play videogames but the small details are where i get my jumbles
warmhouse

Postby Milk » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:59 pm

warmhouse wrote:
xxx-xxx-xxxx wrote:Deus ex was good for this.

this video makes the case that it's the best open world game ever

ive never played the original but ive not liked the claustrophobic nature of invisible war or human revolution's maps. They were not my idea of cool cyberpunk. It felt more like you were stuck in corridors than were in a city. Mind you i didnt play either very long. Of course, i can't speak for mankind divided.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby turquoise albino » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:03 am

the first two Thief games. yes, the graphics have probably aged somewhat poorly but the designs still hold up.

:lol:
turquoise albino

Postby warmhouse » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:55 am

bumping this cause it seemed like fun
warmhouse

Postby chairkicker » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:53 am

i really did mean to make more of this thread, and to make that project eden post, but i've been working a bunch
chairkicker

Postby ahungbunny » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:36 am

the best part of deadly premonition was driving around listening to your own soliloquys about 80s movies then stopping in at someone's house so see how they decorate it and what they're up to at that moment. A++ game
ahungbunny

Postby warmhouse » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:49 pm

This thread made me buy Deus Ex Mankind Divided and I'm looking forward to spending a day exploring the urban environment.
warmhouse

Postby Buddy Glass » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:53 pm

What became of her? She lived, as she liked to say, off the kindness of gentlemen. I assume she’s dead.
Buddy Glass

Postby Viz » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:01 pm

[quote="Milk]

Still probably my dream game is a super detailed cyberpunk city in which i can get in at least 50% of the locations.[/quote]

An open world Blade Runner game would be amazing and sell a bajillion copies.
Viz

Postby Milk » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:10 pm

Yes and it's one of those simple but obvious idea that i thought somebody would have made into a game ages ago but yet here we are and it still hasn't been a thing. Right now all my hopes are poured into Cyberpunk 2077. Though this is an RPG and i question if we'll be able to use cars. But CD projekt said the game was bigger than Witcher III (which i maybe wrongly assumed meant in size) so that seems fairly promising.
Milk

Postby Beautiful Jugdish » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:13 pm

Reminding myself to find my post about “pointless spaces” in final fantasy games
I've hit rock bottom!
Beautiful Jugdish

Postby theendoftheworld666@aol.com » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:25 pm

i took some great shots of sh 2/3 the last time i played them on this computer. i'll occasionally boot up 3 just to wander around the mall that the game starts in. idk why that never came up for me in the "favorite videogame space" cuz it's definitely one of them. playing those games on pcsx2 w/ the graphic settings cranked up rly brings home how timeless those games are. doesn't really work for the first game cuz of how intentionally lo-fi it is tho.
mystery rash wrote:chugga chugga chugga chugga choo choo!!!

theendoftheworld666@aol.com
sissy puppy

Postby theendoftheworld666@aol.com » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:30 pm

this top shot in particular is what i thought of immediately

i had this one from siren in here too as well. i wish i had documented more of what the mall is like to wander around but i think i was more interested in the comments heather makes about random stuff at the time. god it's been abt a year maybe its time to go through it again.

sissy puppy

Postby theendoftheworld666@aol.com » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:36 pm

Oh. Come to think of it this is a big reason why RE3 is my favorite Resident Evil. Aside from Nemesis being a million dollar idea that wasn't really capitalized on by later games like it should have. I didn't even really notice this a lot of stuff until I played a version other than the original PS1 version that's super blurry. The PC or Gamecube ports are an absolute delight.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/zuSzwjD.jpg/img]

sissy puppy

Postby figaro » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:42 pm

great posts goofy....RE1/2/4 are 3 of my fav games ever and I don't know why I never attempted 3

BURGER KONG
figaro

Postby warmhouse » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:46 pm

I like all the exploration shown there, and the fact that you can interact with just about anything, but I wanna do it not under the umbrella (corp) of misery or doom. i want sunny peaceful times.
warmhouse

Postby kirito » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:18 pm

i've fallen in love with novigrad
I love social media, I love fitness and I love photography
kirito

Postby theendoftheworld666@aol.com » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:31 am

god. i think 3 might be my favorite at this point. both just for heather's like... perpetually tired and out of it attitude but also this.

parasite eve 1/2 are also pretty good at this. the first game's version of new york is better than the actual new york you can go to in real life. great xmas game too. love the central park area especially. and the bonus chrysler building dungeon all of these games are like, japanese imaginations of what america is like informed by like twin peaks and horror movies and it's always super interesting to me to see how that kinda stuff pans out. i wanted to mention life is strange in this thread cuz it's a fairly similar dynamic w/ out of touch 40 something french men imagining america as informed by donnie darko & twin peaks etc. etc. but there's really not anywhere near as much actual exploration as i'd like there.

sissy puppy

Postby theendoftheworld666@aol.com » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:35 am

i like shenmue having individual chintzy songs for shops and i wish more games did stuff like that w/ the soundtrack. it goes a lot to making that game still feel v alive and nostalgic for the 80s in a way i can't think of many other games do. i guess the yakuza series. but yeah.

sissy puppy

Next

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....