What should i do about this sciatica thing?

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby Milk » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:19 pm

Obviously sit less but that's a bit difficult.

$ nights ago i couldnt sleep the pain in both legs was so bad. I mean it originates from lower back/buttocks but its the radiating to my legs that hurts most. I made some changes for a couple of days, tried to move more, sit less and even when i do change my position a lot, got better for a day or two. Last night 10 mins after lying down to sleep it started really bad. its WORSE when i lie down now. This is killing me.

Anybody else having similar problems and if what have you done to try and fix it?
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby whitebelt » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:21 pm

I had a steroid injection into my spine and the pain just disappeared.
whitebelt

Postby Sad Panda » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:25 pm

Stretch or do some yoga, take some muscle relaxers, get a heating pad

Smoke weed
pana wrote:that thing is the phallus i deserve
Sad Panda

Postby Robo-Chachi » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:26 pm

I have Spondylolysis and have had lower-back pain since I was a kid. Nothing horrendous, but enough to cause mild-discomfort and make sleeping difficult some nights. My advice is yoga, if you can.
Last edited by Robo-Chachi on Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robo-Chachi

Postby Robo-Chachi » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:26 pm

Although weed and muscle relaxers are cool as well.
Robo-Chachi

Postby Sad Panda » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:30 pm

Yeah I didn't add that I got hit really bad with this years ago, and it ended up turning into some sort of lower back strain where I'd get awful pains when trying to sit/stand.

Started stretching/working out more after that and it hasn't happened again.
Sad Panda

Postby Milk » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:48 pm

Sad Panda wrote:Stretch or do some yoga, take some muscle relaxers, get a heating pad

Smoke weed

yeah im thinking of learning some basic yoga stuff. I'm dumb i have a heating pad somewhere and didn't think of it, i tend to forget i have that kind of stuff cause it's generally only the gf that ever uses them. I mean taking baths can work too but it's a lot more of a hassle...

Ive only avoided muscle relaxants because this shit is so expensive (well i mean any drug is, if it's above ten bucks it's something i have to REALLy need) and i can't really fit them in my budget at least not on a regular basis but if this keeps up for any longer i think i'll have to give in.

I dont smoke weed unfortunately.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby Tuba Gooding Jr » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:00 pm

Yeah, I'm joining the stretching chorus here. Find a few exercises that counteract stress positions and release tension. Do these daily and it will really mitigate the pain. I feel like I've more or less got a lid on my chronic neck pain from just finding like two stretches.
I'm gifted and gonna sell sex
Tuba Gooding Jr

Postby Stuntman » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:02 pm

Don't put anything in your back pockets. This made a big difference for me.
Stuntman
AKA Ron

Postby Sad Panda » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:25 pm

Definitely don't sit on your wallet

Try a cream/ointment with lidocaine - I had a bunch of prescription strength patches that helped on particularly bad days, but it also comes in over-the-counter form.
Sad Panda

Postby milknight » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:27 pm

stretchin is good. foam rollers help alot too
milknight

Postby wintergreen » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:58 am

wintergreen wrote:if i sit in a strange position for too long -- usually at a long movie if i slump down -- i get something called piriformis syndrome, where the piriformis muscle irritates the sciatic nerve. it's mostly an annoyance, but sometimes it gives me quite a lot of pain in the left hip joint left glute area. sneezing when i'm in that state is a nightmare.

stretching does indeed help with this.
wintergreen

Postby tarantula » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:01 am

tarantula

Postby Milk » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:25 am

so i used this clay bag thing yesterday, you put it in the microwave to warm it up, i sat on it (burned my ass with some of the clay thats been seeping from a hole i dint know was there too!) for like 3 hours (welli i warmed it up again a couple of times) while also making sure i wasnt putting too much pressure on my buttocks, i'm waking up this morning almost zero pain. Knock on wood. Might very well come back though but if nothing else it seems like a good short term pain relief.
Milk

Postby Dr. Norm Thagard » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:43 am

Sad Panda wrote:Stretch or do some yoga, take some muscle relaxers, get a heating pad

Smoke weed

There are some really good stretches. Look into pilates. My prenatal pilates DVD had a bunch of good back stuff. Your back strength is tied to your core strength, so the answer is exercise?
delgriffith wrote:Yeah Norm.

OKterrific wrote:Norm yay

Cronos wrote:The world needs more Norm

Feech La Manna wrote:well here's Norm at least

night moves wrote: People like you make up false boogeyman to blame for their emotions being out of control
Dr. Norm Thagard
Every superhero need her theme music

Postby Dr. Norm Thagard » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:44 am

I know most people like yoga, but I'm a pilates gal.

night moves wrote: People like you make up false boogeyman to blame for their emotions being out of control
Dr. Norm Thagard

Postby Paul » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:44 am

Heat and lots of stretching every day. It will come back if you ignore it.
Paul

Postby Dr. Norm Thagard » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:44 am

Dr. Norm Thagard

Postby Dr. Norm Thagard » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:46 am

Dr. Norm Thagard

Postby incoherent grunting » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:35 am

Legit, the most low-intensity exercises you can do while watching TV will do wonders for you. You won't even think they're having an effect while you do them, but you'll have a new lease on life!

https://apmhealth.com/educational-resou ... k-and-core
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby largecrow » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:58 am

you should definitely be strenghtening it as well but purely for pain/tension relief this is a pretty killer pose:

http://www.pocketyoga.com/Pose/supine_spinal_twist

sciatic pain often is often co-morbid with or induces anterior pelvic tilt. so check your pelvic alignment and if it indeed has an anterior tilt (hinged to far forward, tight hips) this is a great guide to rebuilding muscular symmetry in your core/low back:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/troub ... ecting-apt

physical therapy or chiropractor can help (i guess obviously) a ton. i would recommend a functional movement screening as it can pinpoint where your deficincies are, how it affects your basic movement patterns, and through that knowledge how to best go about re-training them.

the problem with a lot of injuries is they cause you to hold and and move in ways that are oriented around extreme tension around the site of the injury. protective impulse i guess. but then whenever you feel a twinge of pain at the injury site you revert back into the tension-oriented movement patterns. so retraining your muscles can take some time and a lot of well-designed training. but it is definitely doable in the vast majority of scaitic pain cases!
largecrow

Return to Free-For-All