Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby ripersnifle » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:49 pm

i know, but such is my vexed relationship with Hoot
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
Totally wrote:also to the really creepily obsessed kid frothing NON-US SPORTS GEAR IS A COMPLEXITY-SIGNALING DEVICE FOR AGEING HIPSTER ACOLYTES WHO DOWNLOAD MOANA: I have a lot of friends (and an apartment) in Geelong. Get a fuckin life man.
ripersnifle

Postby nosebleeds » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:50 pm

I'm just saying that out loud to myself. It's marvellous
nosebleeds

Postby ripersnifle » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:51 pm

maybe the ubiquitous Hoot session has its roots in the folk festival workshop when i think about it ... except vimeo-ized aesthetically and restricted to one performer?

actually, it's probably just La Blogotheque as UrSession tbh
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
Totally wrote:also to the really creepily obsessed kid frothing NON-US SPORTS GEAR IS A COMPLEXITY-SIGNALING DEVICE FOR AGEING HIPSTER ACOLYTES WHO DOWNLOAD MOANA: I have a lot of friends (and an apartment) in Geelong. Get a fuckin life man.
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:52 pm

the idea of workshopping some tunes is pretty Hoot hey
ripersnifle

Postby nosebleeds » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:53 pm

My brain is bleeding
nosebleeds

Postby ripersnifle » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:53 pm

i think i need to finally admit that I fucking love Hoot
ripersnifle

Postby nosebleeds » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:55 pm

This thread is like, "Welcome to Hoot Camp"
nosebleeds

Postby nosebleeds » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:56 pm

I need to stop posting when I drink.
nosebleeds

Postby bongo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:02 pm

ripersnifle wrote:definitely may have danced with members of my extended family to a Parsonsfield jam at a daytime workshop folk fest session in the last 5-7 years

wow can you say more stuff about this
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby ripersnifle » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:02 pm

i have some good folk festival workshop stories actually

basically, the idea behind a folk fest workshop is to encourage spontaneous collaboration between festival performers, usually with a theme or prompt supposedly relevant to the performers' work to guide improvisation. often, Hoot style singersongwriters will just elect to take turns, because they often aren't rly musically proficient enough to collab or actually ~jam~. so bigger like brass bands and stuff that are usually booked typically fare better in the workshop environment.

one time i was at a folk festival that had inexplicably booked Arto Lindsay, and, being a big fan, i was basically following him around the festival. i remember this one workshop he had been assigned to with all these usual Hoot style songwriters and stuff, and then maybe like a celtic band and a brass band. the Hootbros did the typical turn-taking performing their material, with Lindsay looking increasingly bored before he said that they should "actually jam." what ensued was like probably one of the craziest things ive ever seen at a folk festival with Lindsay's band basically launching into a crazy no wave skronk and he, himself, taking on the role of conductor, conducting various performers in the workshop to improvise.

i will never forget the exasperated looks on the faces of the several Hoot singersongwriters when Lindsay would cycle to them to "improvise." it was so wild - i think i was maybe 1 of 20 people that remained watching at the sidestage over the course of the ensuing 20 min squall of atonal music.
Last edited by ripersnifle on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ripersnifle

Postby bongo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:03 pm

there have to be videos of this stuff right
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby ripersnifle » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:05 pm

like i remember one dude yelling frustratedly at Lindsay before giving up and futilely attempting to chord along.
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:06 pm

also at the end i think Arto had joined the front of the crowd and was "conducting" people from the ground below
ripersnifle

Postby easy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:09 pm

ripersnifle wrote:i have some good folk festival workshop stories actually

basically, the idea behind a folk fest workshop is to encourage spontaneous collaboration between festival performers, usually with a theme or prompt supposedly relevant to the performers' work to guide improvisation. often, Hoot style singersongwriters will just elect to take turns, because they often aren't rly musically proficient enough to collab or actually ~jam~. so bigger like brass bands and stuff that are usually booked typically fare better in the workshop environment.

one time i was at a folk festival that had inexplicably booked Arto Lindsay, and, being a big fan, i was basically following him around the festival. i remember this one workshop he had been assigned to with all these usual Hoot style songwriters and stuff, and then maybe like a celtic band and a brass band. the Hootbros did the typical turn-taking performing their material, with Lindsay looking increasingly bored before he said that they should "actually jam." what ensued was like probably one of the craziest things ive ever seen at a folk festival with Lindsay's band basically launching into a crazy no wave skronk and he, himself, taking on the role of conductor, conducting various performers in the workshop to improvise.

i will never forget the exasperated looks on the faces of the several Hoot singersongwriters when Lindsay would cycle to them to "improvise." it was so wild - i think i was maybe 1 of 20 people that remained watching at the sidestage over the course of the ensuing 20 min squall of atonal music.

easy
does it

Postby antoine » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:10 pm

Fuck mandolins
antoine

Postby cartola » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:18 pm

Hoot is like scorched cultural earth
cartola

Postby cartola » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:18 pm

And has taken over denver :/
cartola

Postby bongo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:19 pm

denver is a hoot mecca
bongo
man in hammock

Postby kit fox » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:56 pm

it really seems to be between asheville, denver, and surprise dark horse, southern ontario
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby Celiac Cruz » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:03 pm

the banjo guy from parsonsfield has such an interesting presence
Celiac Cruz

Postby ratbags » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:10 pm

SoOn baby
session to session
ratbags

Postby kit fox » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:21 pm

there was a bluegrass band from windsor i saw a decade ago called the wild turkeys. i wonder what theyre up to these days
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby ratbags » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:24 pm

Hopefully they got out of windsor
session to session
ratbags

Postby hbb » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:47 pm

bongo wrote:

Asheville Eyeline
hbb

Postby brittle » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:48 pm

gave myself a good chuckle a few mintues ago when i realized that scrump is just Hoot Couture
Last edited by brittle on Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brittle

Postby No Not Now » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:37 pm

When all you wanna do is Hoot but the workshop wants a Q&A
bongo wrote:anyone else wake up today and immediately scream into a banjo
No Not Now

Postby No Not Now » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:41 pm

Seriously considering quitting my job so that I can whisper into a banjo all the livelong day.
bongo wrote:anyone else wake up today and immediately scream into a banjo
No Not Now

Postby Celiac Cruz » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:46 pm

brittle wrote:gave myself a good chuckle a few mintues ago when i realized that scrump is just Hoot Couture

:lol:
Celiac Cruz

Postby kit fox » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:04 pm

tunnel sesh was a homegrown thing. its like 20 minutes from my house maybe i'll get the band to do a hoot sesh there
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby kit fox » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:05 pm

brittle wrote:gave myself a good chuckle a few mintues ago when i realized that scrump is just Hoot Couture

the soundtrack to many scrump vids + lifestyle posts
kit fox
Mike Vance

PreviousNext

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.