Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:37 pm

Viz wrote:Rubber Soul does rule and it would be perfect if it wasn't for the horrible domestic abuse closing track.

Yeah I mean Lennon basically disowned it later but it's v gross
rich uncle skeleton

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:38 pm

Well disowned prolly isn't right cause he was pretty upfront about his past with domestic abuse, but he regretted writing it
rich uncle skeleton

Postby number none » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:45 pm

Mesh wrote:
ripersnifle wrote:don't some ppl people say that "and your bird can sing" is like the genesis of powerpop basically?

Yeah, I'd read a list of better examples on equally influential US records.

It's kind of a fool's errand trying to pinpoint the exact origins of a fairly ill-defined genre like power pop, but I'm not sure why you'd pick out this song in particular over any number of early Beatles, Kinks or Who singles
number none

Postby Meeps » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:11 pm

rich uncle skeleton wrote:Well disowned prolly isn't right cause he was pretty upfront about his past with domestic abuse, but he regretted writing it

He did call it his least favorite Beatles song, at least.
Try the hot pockets, they're breathtaking.
Meeps

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:08 pm

ok I gave Revolver two spins and confirmed it's my favorite album of all time.
Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby Meeps » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:32 pm

I've never been able to get over how good the production on Revolver is. It sounds far less dated than so many albums that have been released since.
Try the hot pockets, they're breathtaking.
Meeps

Postby Autarch » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:37 pm

Jefferson Zeppelin wrote:ok I gave Revolver two spins and confirmed it's my favorite album of all time.

happens every time i listen to it. I'll go for a while without listening and forget that it's my favorite. And then once I hear it I'm like, yep, it's perfect.
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby Mesh » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:47 pm

number none wrote:
Mesh wrote:
ripersnifle wrote:don't some ppl people say that "and your bird can sing" is like the genesis of powerpop basically?

Yeah, I'd read a list of better examples on equally influential US records.

It's kind of a fool's errand trying to pinpoint the exact origins of a fairly ill-defined genre like power pop, but I'm not sure why you'd pick out this song in particular over any number of early Beatles, Kinks or Who singles

That's sort of what I meant. It's acknowledged that way somewhat widely but the conversation that includes it is more interesting.
...brewed into the common yeast of the waves.
Mesh

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:04 pm

Autarch wrote:
Jefferson Zeppelin wrote:ok I gave Revolver two spins and confirmed it's my favorite album of all time.

happens every time i listen to it. I'll go for a while without listening and forget that it's my favorite. And then once I hear it I'm like, yep, it's perfect.

exactly. exactly.

just a perfect gem.
Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby Ted Pikul » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:11 pm

loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"
Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:36 pm

A few more Revolver observations after another spin:

1) this gets brought up in every Beatles thread but Paul's bass playing is one of the best things (possibly the best thing) about later Beatles. This is the album where it really starts to take center stage.

2) this album is ***over 50 years old*** and sounds totally modern and fresh. The post upthread about normies hearing Tomorrow Never Knows for the first time... +1000. I can't believe someone made that 50 years ago.

3) Got To Get You Into My Life is, if anything, underrated.

ok I think I'm done now :)
Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby Night porter » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:52 pm

No idea when the last time i heard Revolver was but its cool listening and not even remembering what song comes next, but knowing it will be great.

Curtis through Sweet Exorcist is such an amazing run. Roots is probably my faavourite. I was pretty obsessed with Mayfield for a while but just stopped listening i guess. I have ..America today, what else is essential?

Night porter

Postby yungboi » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:10 am

just because the westerberg version was posted earlier, i feel this is deserved if just to see the evolution
yungboi

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:59 pm

Jefferson Zeppelin wrote:2) this album is ***over 50 years old*** and sounds totally modern and fresh. The post upthread about normies hearing Tomorrow Never Knows for the first time... +1000. I can't believe someone made that 50 years ago.

Love this thought, but also love thinking about folks that were tuned in hearing it for the first time too. Imagine being part of a growing but still not fully blown counterculture and having such strong, powerful experiences validated by the biggest pop act on Earth. Tomorrow Never Knows is definitely one of the highest highs of psychedelic-inspired art. I would claim It's All Too Much is a better aural representation of the psychedelic experience, but not a better song obviously

Also love the post about Michelle, my mom was a English-French bilingual teen growing up in an English-only community in Michigan (only spoke French at home occasionally and with extended family). Michelle was always one of her favorites
rich uncle skeleton

Postby ripersnifle » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:15 pm

after a spin of Revolver, i do love it but mannn i hate "taxman" lol
(i think this came up in another Beatles-related thread on the board - someone's dislike of "taxman")

i mean sick guitar tone on the leads, but man what a repulsive 1%-er anthem
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
Totally wrote:also to the really creepily obsessed kid frothing NON-US SPORTS GEAR IS A COMPLEXITY-SIGNALING DEVICE FOR AGEING HIPSTER ACOLYTES WHO DOWNLOAD MOANA: I have a lot of friends (and an apartment) in Geelong. Get a fuckin life man.
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:17 pm

i remember falling down this rabbit hole once of like ... Republican cover bands on youtube and that was a common one for these shitty bands lol
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
Totally wrote:also to the really creepily obsessed kid frothing NON-US SPORTS GEAR IS A COMPLEXITY-SIGNALING DEVICE FOR AGEING HIPSTER ACOLYTES WHO DOWNLOAD MOANA: I have a lot of friends (and an apartment) in Geelong. Get a fuckin life man.
ripersnifle

Postby Ted Pikul » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:17 pm

It's about a 5% tax rate lol
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby Ted Pikul » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:19 pm

The Jam famously nicked the bassline to Taxman (and made a much better song out of it)

The entire album it's off of is basically a tribute to Revolver

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:21 pm

Yeah I mean even as a musical apologist for all things Harrison I can't defend the lyrics of Taxman, they stoink
rich uncle skeleton

Postby Autarch » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:22 pm

Jefferson Zeppelin wrote:A few more Revolver observations after another spin:

1) this gets brought up in every Beatles thread but Paul's bass playing is one of the best things (possibly the best thing) about later Beatles. This is the album where it really starts to take center stage.

2) this album is ***over 50 years old*** and sounds totally modern and fresh. The post upthread about normies hearing Tomorrow Never Knows for the first time... +1000. I can't believe someone made that 50 years ago.

3) Got To Get You Into My Life is, if anything, underrated.

ok I think I'm done now :)

1) yes

2) yes (and that was my post)

3) yes

A few points of my own:

I think this is the last Beatles record that I would describe as "exhilerating".

Someone (I think you, JZ) made a post where this is the last album where they sound like a band rather than 4 solo artists. That was a good post and I think it ties into the exhilerating feeling. Even the laid back tracks like Here There and Everywhere are a total rush to listen to because of their undeniable perfection.
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby incoherent grunting » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:27 pm

Ted Pikul wrote:It's about a 5% tax rate lol

The highest post-war tax rate was somewhere around 90% for individuals into the 60s actually
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby creedence tapes » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:55 pm

saw some discussion of the white album a couple pages back and specifically obladi oblada. one night a few years ago I heard it on the radio and thought about how good it would sound in the classic ska/rocksteady style. then I read about it, and turns out mccartney was directly referencing desmond dekker and jamaican musics nascent popularity in the UK with that song and doing kind of an ersatz version of it. which I thought was kind of a cool connection, but like many other beatles songs, I'd rather just listen to someone else.

creedence tapes

Postby Ted Pikul » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:34 am

What album should we do next?
Dark Side of the Moon was suggested

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:41 am

Yeah I suggested DSotM and think it'd be fun. Beach Boys or Stones might be fun after the Beatles
rich uncle skeleton

Postby Ted Pikul » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:44 am

Yeah I want to do all the 'big' acts (Dylan, Stones, Beach Boys, Kinks, Beatles, etc) but space them out a bit

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby ripersnifle » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:51 am

i think we should do something like the Love record again
like a cult record or something a bit less obvious
ripersnifle

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:54 am

13th Floor Elevators could be good for that?
rich uncle skeleton

Postby Viz » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:57 am

Maybe we could change it up and do a classic hip-hop record?

Three Feet High and Rising
Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
Follow the Leader

or for "cult"
Would Screamadelica or Psychocandy be suitable?
Viz

Postby number none » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:59 am

I think we should revisit the classics of '00s indie
number none

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:59 am

Underwater Moonlight
rich uncle skeleton

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....