Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Autarch » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:40 pm

revolver is unbelievable. sometimes i try to imagine what it was like for all the normies in 1966 to pick up a copy of the new beatles record. Oh, it's a fine piece of work. I'm Only Sleeping, Here There and Everywhere, And Your Bird Can Sing, etc. Oh what a lovely album. And then the last track is by far the craziest psychedelic freakout stuff that they'd ever heard in their life. Wonder what the popular reaction was to tomorrow never knows,.
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby FourLegsGood » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:58 pm

Probably not the thread but if I was to resequence/edit the White Album it'd be

Back in the USSR
Birthday
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Julia
Everybody’s Got Something to Hide Except for Me and My Monkey
Blackbird
Revolution 1

Savoy Truffle
Sexy Sadie
Mother Nature’s Son
Happiness is a Warm Gun
I Will
I’m So Tired
MARTHA MY DEAR
Last edited by FourLegsGood on Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
easy wrote:GOD DAMN IT
FourLegsGood

Postby Plainsong » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:09 pm

Rubber Soul and Revolver are both incredible albums, but Revolver is my favourite Beatles album. Favourite songs from Rubber Soul for me are Norwegian Wood, Nowehere Man and If I Needed Someone and from Revolver Taxman, I'm Only Sleeping, She Said She Said and I Want To Tell You. All the singles they released from 65-66 are incredible also.
Plainsong

Postby ripersnifle » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:15 pm

FourLegsGood wrote:
Mesh wrote:"She Said She Said" vs. "And Your Bird Can Sing"

"And Your Bird Can Sing" by a country mile.
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
ripersnifle

Postby Autarch » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:16 pm

FourLegsGood wrote:Probably not the thread but if I was to resequence/edit the White Album it'd be

Back in the USSR
Birthday
Julia
Blackbird
Revolution 1

Savoy Truffle
Sexy Sadie
Mother Nature’s Son
Happiness is a Warm Gun
I Will
I’m So Tired
Good Night

snubbing martha my dear is a crime.
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby FourLegsGood » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:21 pm

You can replace the last song with it.
easy wrote:GOD DAMN IT
FourLegsGood

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:51 pm

yeah great point about the singles.

any Revolver listen should include Paperback Writer / Rain
Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby Ted Pikul » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:45 pm

I said this on the last page but I just listened to it again and Rubber Soul is a perfectly sequenced album. It's not even a concept, the songs just flow really well emotionally.
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"
Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:53 am

Jefferson Zeppelin wrote:yeah great point about the singles.

Same with Rubber Soul & Day Tripper/We Can Work It Out, came out the same damn day
rich uncle skeleton

Postby bluelips » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:10 pm

man i love Rain so much
bluelips

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:14 pm

rich uncle skeleton wrote:
Jefferson Zeppelin wrote:yeah great point about the singles.

Same with Rubber Soul & Day Tripper/We Can Work It Out, came out the same damn day

So unbelievably ridiculous.
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:19 pm

I think posting this itt would make this page wonky, but this timeline is pretty fun to scroll through:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Beatles_timeline.png
rich uncle skeleton

Postby Ted Pikul » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:21 pm

It's pretty crazy that they went Help -->Rubber Soul-->Revolver in exactly one year
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby goldmatt » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:24 pm

Am I the only one who's more familiar with the original American track listings of these albums ("I've Just Seen A Face" /"It's Only Love" instead of "Drive My Car"/"What Goes On" and no "Nowhere Man", Revolver without "I'm Only Sleeping", "And Your Bird Can Sing", and "Doctor Robert")?
Last edited by goldmatt on Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goldmatt

Postby brent » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:26 pm

i haven't listened to rubber soul in ages

puttin' it on now
brent

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:31 pm

Ted Pikul wrote:It's pretty crazy that they went Help -->Rubber Soul-->Revolver in exactly one year

Yeah, and the making of Rubber Soul was considered relatively stress-free because they didn't have touring and movie obligations like they did with Help!, and could settle in to make an album. Apparently they needed it to get it done before Christmas and they started recording in October so I think there was some pressure, but it really shows in the music that they were dedicated to making an album. Most earlier albums feel more like singles surrounded by covers and originals of varying quality, Rubber Soul is the first one that feels cohesive and focused from beginning to end imo
rich uncle skeleton

Postby Mesh » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:37 pm

goldmatt wrote:Am I the only one who's more familiar with the original American track listings of these albums ("I've Just Seen A Face" /"It's Only Love" instead of "Drive My Car"/"What Goes On" and no "Nowhere Man", Revolver without "I'm Only Sleeping", "And Your Bird Can Sing", and "Doctor Robert")?

My memory of listening to these records extends back to like 1979 and the progression from LPs to my dad's cassette dubs to crap US CDs of the late 80s to LPs again in college to the 2009 reissues and the :!: mono box and beyond. I honestly don't know that I've ever had a true "home version" of most of the ones that got resequenced from UK to US versions. And plus now with digital listening/streaming it's all playlists and shuffle and every song stands alone, so long as it's not on Sgt. Pepper, The White Album, or Abbey Road, really.
...brewed into the common yeast of the waves.
Mesh

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:42 pm

I grew up with the 87 cds, which followed the British tracklistings iirc but were v bad quality. Getting the mono box in 2009 was a huge revelation
rich uncle skeleton

Postby Spooky Jim » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:47 pm

Autarch wrote:
FourLegsGood wrote:Probably not the thread but if I was to resequence/edit the White Album it'd be

Back in the USSR
Birthday
Julia
Blackbird
Revolution 1

Savoy Truffle
Sexy Sadie
Mother Nature’s Son
Happiness is a Warm Gun
I Will
I’m So Tired
Good Night

snubbing martha my dear is a crime.

Omitting "long, long, long" is even more egregious. That's one of the top ten Beatles songs.
Spooky Jim

Postby Autarch » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:31 pm

I'll say it: I love almost every song on the white album. Basically everything except revolution 9. Yes, I even think ob-la-di ob-la-da is sick.
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:56 pm

Never understood the hate for Rocky Raccoon
rich uncle skeleton

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:58 pm

i like the anthology version of ob-la-di too
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:01 pm

There's really not much else left in the Beatles vault but I would love to hear the full, bluesy versions of Helter Skelter
rich uncle skeleton

Postby Viz » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:12 pm

Revolver is my hands down favourite album of all time.

I've always considered it their absolute peak, nothing they've done after it matches it in terms of music and their production choices for it was still constrained and discrete, without the drug induced anything goes style that they started doing with Sgt Pepper and beyond.

Tomorrow Never Knows totally works because every element and loop was thought out and planned.

This was completely the last time where they really cared about getting the right sound out of every single instrument and vocal. Everything after that, they became lazy. Abbey Road was an anomoly cause George Martin had a greater hand in it.
Viz

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:19 pm

Viz wrote: their production choices for it was still constrained and discrete

Agree with this for sure

Viz wrote: This was completely the last time where they really cared about getting the right sound out of every single instrument and vocal

Disagree, I definitely think Sgt. Pepper was a work of extreme care and attention. There are just impulses and thoughts there that don't work out, but they were followed through with finesse and detail. If anything, I think Sgt. Pepper suffers from too much care for things that should've been scrapped. Definitely would put Revolver over it, and I definitely agree with you i/r/t the White Album and Let It Be
rich uncle skeleton

Postby Ted Pikul » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:20 pm

Viz wrote:
This was completely the last time where they really cared about getting the right sound out of every single instrument and vocal. Everything after that, they became lazy. Abbey Road was an anomoly cause George Martin had a greater hand in it.

This is true. Sgt Pepper is the album where you can hear the beginning of them diverging from a band into four solo acts.

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby Viz » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:54 pm

Yup, George's Within You Without You is completely him, and even though he wrote it when he was 16, Paul's When I'm 64 is the start of his boring songs about boring people phase. A far cry from Eleanor Rigby.

I can buy that there was meticulous care in the production of Sgt Pepper, the random calliope bits of Mr Kite and the dreaming bits of A Day in the Life are awesome, but the pitched up vocals of When I'm 64? or the farm animal noises of Good Morning? yuck.
Viz

Postby Ted Pikul » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:00 pm

Within You Without You is one of my least favorite Beatles songs

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby brent » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:12 pm

i think the beatles are one of the very few bands that despite my love for them, i'm just totally burned out on. my dad was/is an obsessive fan and i've probably heard them more than any other single band throughout my entire life

unlike a lot of other 'classic' bands, i never find myself going on a beatles kick these days
brent

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:15 pm

I totally understand the hate for Within You Without You, but I love it and Love You To. Inner Light is prolly top 10 Beatles cut for me, can't get enough
rich uncle skeleton

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....