Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby yungboi » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:24 pm

has anyone in here dropped some love for Nowhere Man? it's def my most played song off of Rubber Soul
yungboi

Postby inmate » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:57 pm

yeah nowhere man is my favorite song off rubber soul. girl or run for your life are #2
inmate

Postby kit fox » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:23 pm

brent wrote:i think the beatles are one of the very few bands that despite my love for them, i'm just totally burned out on. my dad was/is an obsessive fan and i've probably heard them more than any other single band throughout my entire life

unlike a lot of other 'classic' bands, i never find myself going on a beatles kick these days

same, until i threw on revolver after seeing the thread title and remembered how much it rules

tomorrow i will go back to feeling tired when i hear "the beatles"
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby kit fox » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:29 pm

would anyone else drop doctor robert though
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby number none » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:02 pm

Viz wrote:or the farm animal noises of Good Morning? yuck.

I'm not a big fan of the record overall, but the chicken cluck turning into the guitar on the reprise of the title track is one of its best moments
number none

Postby Seamus » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:13 pm

I still listen to these records every 6 months or so, but help! is probably my favourite beatles record. obviously these are still great albums but i always felt revolver was a little overrated
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby Ted Pikul » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:14 pm

The acoustic guitar throughout Help is just stunning, it sounds completely modern
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"
Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby DasLofGang » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:15 pm

but i barely even know her soul/revolver!
heaven’s full of murderers
DasLofGang

Postby DasLofGang » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:15 pm

thanks folks i'll be here all week
heaven’s full of murderers
DasLofGang

Postby Ted Pikul » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:17 pm

I always liked this cover of Nowhere Man

loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby Seamus » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:17 pm

Mesh wrote:"I've Just Seen a Face" leads off the US Rubber Soul and that's odd.

this is so wrong
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby odilon redon » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:37 pm

it’s not my favorite but rubber soul just has this cool emotional character to it that’s like simultaneously tender and warm but also sexy and mysterious. it’s the most romantic intimate sounding beatles album (to me at least)
E|---------------------|
B|---------------------|
G|-2-2-2-0^(0)-2^3^2-0
D|---------------------|
A|---------------------|
E|---------------------|
odilon redon

Postby Meeps » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:57 pm

I’ve never listened to the US Rubber Soul, but I know a Beatles fanatic who claims it as his favorite album
Try the hot pockets, they're breathtaking.
Meeps

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:06 am

number none wrote:
Viz wrote:or the farm animal noises of Good Morning? yuck.

I'm not a big fan of the record overall, but the chicken cluck turning into the guitar on the reprise of the title track is one of its best moments

omg yes

like, there are major bands whose entire careers don't equal that one moment

also the guitar solo on good morning absolutely rips
Last edited by Jefferson Zeppelin on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:07 am

ok maybe that was a slight overexaggeration but the chicken cluck still slays
Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby yungboi » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:25 am

Ty Ted pikul, that cover is really doing it for me before work today
yungboi

Postby Mesh » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:34 am

Re: "And Your Bird Can Sing," let's all just memorize this factoid, which I don't think I've come across before:

In the 2007 book Can't Buy Me Love, Jonathan Gould makes the case that the song was inspired by a profile of Frank Sinatra by Gay Talese that appeared in the April 1966 issue of Esquire magazine. "Bird," Talese wrote, "is a favorite Sinatra word. He often inquires of his cronies, 'How's your bird?'"

What brought the article to Lennon's attention was a press release sent by Sinatra's PR man that read: "If you happen to be tired of kid singers wearing mops of hair thick enough to hide a crate of melons... 'Tell me that you've heard every sound there is,' crooned the world's greatest kid singer in his enigmatic reply, 'and your bird can swing. But you can't hear me. You can't hear me.'"

The original 1966 article, titled "Frank Sinatra Has a Cold," can be read in Gay Talese's 2003 collection titled The Gay Talese Reader: Portraits and Encounters.
...brewed into the common yeast of the waves.
Mesh

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:19 pm

man that guitar tone on the Nowhere Man solo
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby ripersnifle » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:29 pm

odilonredon wrote:it’s not my favorite but rubber soul just has this cool emotional character to it that’s like simultaneously tender and warm but also sexy and mysterious. it’s the most romantic intimate sounding beatles album (to me at least)
yea
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
Totally wrote:also to the really creepily obsessed kid frothing NON-US SPORTS GEAR IS A COMPLEXITY-SIGNALING DEVICE FOR AGEING HIPSTER ACOLYTES WHO DOWNLOAD MOANA: I have a lot of friends (and an apartment) in Geelong. Get a fuckin life man.
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:59 pm

can you imagine hearing the sighs in "girl" or the french lines in "michelle" as like a 16 year old girl
shit must've been crazy
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
Totally wrote:also to the really creepily obsessed kid frothing NON-US SPORTS GEAR IS A COMPLEXITY-SIGNALING DEVICE FOR AGEING HIPSTER ACOLYTES WHO DOWNLOAD MOANA: I have a lot of friends (and an apartment) in Geelong. Get a fuckin life man.
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:01 pm

don't some ppl people say that "and your bird can sing" is like the genesis of powerpop basically?
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:03 pm

Ted Pikul wrote:The acoustic guitar throughout Help is just stunning, it sounds completely modern
about a year ago i became obsessed with the whole record for essentially this reason. "you've got to hide your love away" might be a top 5 Beatles song for me now, as a result.
ripersnifle

Postby bluelips » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:05 pm

that outtake of and your bird can sing where they can't stop cracking up is awes
bluelips

Postby ripersnifle » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:06 pm

it's funny, as i get a bit older i find i have way more appetite for Beatles stuff in like killer garage band/acoustic-based country standard aping mode than a lot of the studio fuckery that everyone gets into as a teen.
if there's a part of their legacy that remains underrated, id hazard that it'd be those modes actually.
ripersnifle

Postby Grendel » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:13 pm

THINK FOR YOURSELF-- what a fucking track!
Grendel

Postby Ted Pikul » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:16 pm

ripersnifle wrote:
Ted Pikul wrote:The acoustic guitar throughout Help is just stunning, it sounds completely modern
about a year ago i became obsessed with the whole record for essentially this reason. "you've got to hide your love away" might be a top 5 Beatles song for me now, as a result.

Yeah the hook from that song sticks in my head a lot

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby Viz » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:18 pm

Rubber Soul does rule and it would be perfect if it wasn't for the horrible domestic abuse closing track.
Viz

Postby Ted Pikul » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:20 pm

I don't want to get into covers too much but does anyone know which boot this is from?

edit: oh I guess it's on the Deluxe CD of Sound Affects, neat
Last edited by Ted Pikul on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby Mesh » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:20 pm

ripersnifle wrote:don't some ppl people say that "and your bird can sing" is like the genesis of powerpop basically?

Yeah, I'd read a list of better examples on equally influential US records.
...brewed into the common yeast of the waves.
Mesh

Postby ripersnifle » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:22 pm

Viz wrote:Rubber Soul does rule and it would be perfect if it wasn't for the horrible domestic abuse closing track.
yikes yea. i don't think i was really processing this song at all when i first got into the record but it is vile.
ripersnifle

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....