Hereditary (6/8)

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby loaf angel » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:20 pm

goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron
User avatar
loaf angel
 
Posts: 31771
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:28 pm
Location: Jerklyn

Postby potentialgetawaydriver » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:21 pm

10/10 movie. Also, fuck this movie.
User avatar
potentialgetawaydriver
 
Posts: 2935
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:56 pm

Postby sappho » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:30 pm

Viola Swamp wrote:this movie hit waaaaaayyyyy too close to home
User avatar
sappho
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 3:45 pm

Postby Grey Poupon » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:33 am

That dude that smiled at Charlie at the open casket was some Lynchian shit

I thought maybe it was him being Paimon in the dark doorway towards the climax



Also the background kid at the party trying to stand casually while Peter approached his crush was so true to awkward bro life :lol:


I might try to write my proper thoughts when I have a real keyboard but basically this was all my 70s “octopus illustrated guide to demons and witchcraft” type books mixed with modern acting/serious family drama and the vibe was just soooooo what I love
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
User avatar
Grey Poupon
 
Posts: 17152
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:53 am
Location: phonied up

Postby mellowgold » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:47 am

one image that has stayed with me is the naked man smiling and lurking in the shadows as Alex Wolff looks at Gabriel Byrne's bodyToggle Spoiler
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.
User avatar
mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb
 
Posts: 14011
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:25 pm
Location: 0 feet away

Postby CoolRanch » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:11 am

I made the mistake of watching Ari Aster's short film on vimeo uhhh do not recommend
User avatar
CoolRanch
 
Posts: 1748
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 9:16 pm

Postby nautical hyperblast » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:12 am

mellowgold wrote:one image that has stayed with me is the naked man smiling and lurking in the shadows as Alex Wolff looks at Gabriel Byrne's bodyToggle Spoiler

That was the same dude that smiled at Charlie at the funeral!Toggle Spoiler
Image
User avatar
nautical hyperblast
 
Posts: 10577
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:01 pm
Location: a gentrified neighborhood

Postby ratbags » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:29 am

qmass wrote:I liked it a great deal, but the theater I was in was bonkers:

1. Woman with crying baby telling shushers to "fuck off and mind your business"
2. Weird dude beside me whispering to himself and randomly grabbing his duffelbag throughout the movie and I started getting a SUPER bad vibe from him
3. 20 minutes in, a lady rolls in a full shopping cart
4. Old guy struggling to open a bag of candy for like 30 minutes making the loudest sound known to man

AND STILL I WAS ENGROSSED!! Believe the hype, but also go in as stoned as you can get.

You're in Toronto right? I know that dufflebag guy
session to session
User avatar
ratbags
 
Posts: 15441
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:05 am

Postby RIXX » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:12 pm

sappho wrote:
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:aside from what's been mentioned, the pre-climax shot of the distant family home with all the naked bodies standing around itToggle Spoiler was sick


This was one of my favorite shots! I was writhing in my seat


Ok I just saw this a second time and I was paying attention and looking for this shot and I still didn't see it. When exactly does this happen?

I wonder what the lady rubbing something on the dead moms lips at the beginning meant. Also when Annie is at Joan's and removes that black fleck from her lips after drinking the tea. I figure it's just additional parts of the ritual/mythos

Also, this time I noticed there was something etched into the pole where charlie has her accident. I wonder if it was the paimon symbol
Toggle Spoiler
User avatar
RIXX
 
Posts: 5507
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 12:08 pm
Location: nonchalant

Postby Itsmecraig » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:15 pm

It was
User avatar
Itsmecraig
 
Posts: 2052
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:59 pm
Location: everything is shit

Postby kid_chameleon » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:20 pm

hit us with the discount code for those shirts NAUTICAL HYPEBEAST
User avatar
kid_chameleon
 
Posts: 3873
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:16 pm

Postby RIXX » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:20 pm

that's super cool and freaky

also...I think I know how I might've missed that shot. Was it in-between Steve burning alive and Peter waking up and exploring the house? That wide shot that cuts from daylight to nighttime? I think both times I was just mesmerized by that transition and looking at the upper half of the composition, I might've missed if all the naked ppl were surrounding the houseToggle Spoiler
User avatar
RIXX
 
Posts: 5507
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 12:08 pm
Location: nonchalant

Postby kid_chameleon » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:23 pm

Saw this with my stalwart horror partner , my dad. I loved it, but after the film ended he made a fart noise with his mouth at the ending and said "Roemary's Baby did this better" . Ahee.
User avatar
kid_chameleon
 
Posts: 3873
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:16 pm

Postby RIXX » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:33 pm

User avatar
RIXX
 
Posts: 5507
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 12:08 pm
Location: nonchalant

Postby RIXX » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:38 pm

RIXX wrote:that's super cool and freaky

also...I think I know how I might've missed that shot. Was it in-between Steve burning alive and Peter waking up and exploring the house? That wide shot that cuts from daylight to nighttime? I think both times I was just mesmerized by that transition and looking at the upper half of the composition, I might've missed if all the naked ppl were surrounding the houseToggle Spoiler


I think this was it. I'm talking to my friend and she missed the shot too (and is aware of missing it because her friend described it to her)

weird
User avatar
RIXX
 
Posts: 5507
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 12:08 pm
Location: nonchalant

Postby milknight » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:52 pm

i really liked it but do not ever want to watch it again. was anyone elses theater super laugh-y? i mean there were a couple funny parts but i think everyone was so anxious they were trying to like lighten the mood
User avatar
milknight
 
Posts: 13837
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:06 pm

Postby john plainman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:54 pm

milknight wrote:i really liked it but do not ever want to watch it again. was anyone elses theater super laugh-y? i mean there were a couple funny parts but i think everyone was so anxious they were trying to like lighten the mood


yeah the laughter was definitely a tension valve.

people were like, gasping and moaning when you could see the silhouette of the possessed mom on the ceiling in the sons bedroomToggle Spoiler. it was awesome. i really want to see it again actually :oops:
User avatar
john plainman
Hello? Hello? Anybody home?
 
Posts: 9081
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:45 pm

Postby variegated reality » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:56 pm

nautical hyperblast wrote:know what was legitimately funny was all of the dialogue involving peter's dumb friends.

oh also online ceramics (shirt company i work for) did a collab with a24 on some hereditary shirts:
https://www.gq.com/story/hereditary-a24 ... rch-collab
http://online-ceramics.com


nb, you're working for online ceramics now? That's rad! I remember you posting some of their stuff a while ago in the Dead thread which got me to buy one. Some random person at the gym recognized the one I was wearing and said she was buds with them (you?). Anyway, good stuff!


As for the movie, I would have much preferred it stayed a dank family drama. It kinda lost me at the first seanceToggle Spoiler.
User avatar
variegated reality
 
Posts: 1356
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 9:07 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby RIXX » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:04 pm

RIXX wrote:
sappho wrote:
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:aside from what's been mentioned, the pre-climax shot of the distant family home with all the naked bodies standing around itToggle Spoiler was sick


This was one of my favorite shots! I was writhing in my seat


Ok I just saw this a second time and I was paying attention and looking for this shot and I still didn't see it. When exactly does this happen?


RIXX wrote:I think I know how I might've missed that shot. Was it in-between Steve burning alive and Peter waking up and exploring the house? That wide shot that cuts from daylight to nighttime? I think both times I was just mesmerized by that transition and looking at the upper half of the composition, I might've missed if all the naked ppl were surrounding the houseToggle Spoiler


can someone pls help me out with this?

it's silly but it's really bothering me. i might have to see this movie a third time just to spot it.

I also, reading about the ending now, didn't realize the head on the Paimon statue at the end was Charlie'sToggle Spoiler
User avatar
RIXX
 
Posts: 5507
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 12:08 pm
Location: nonchalant

Postby variegated reality » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:05 pm

That sounds right to me.
User avatar
variegated reality
 
Posts: 1356
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 9:07 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby RIXX » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:07 pm

ok cool, thank you. i wish a cam version existed. looks like i'm gonna have to see it again this weekend
User avatar
RIXX
 
Posts: 5507
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 12:08 pm
Location: nonchalant

Postby milknight » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:07 pm

honestly i havent been sleeping good so i felt like on the verge of a panic attack for the first half. bad movie to see when u feel like that! still liked it tho. probly wont be able to get the car accidentToggle Spoiler scene out of my head for a while
User avatar
milknight
 
Posts: 13837
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:06 pm

Postby milknight » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:08 pm

the only thing i didnt like was that the ending was kind of telegraphed for the last like 30 minutes but tbh i was kind of relieved when i finally felt like i knew what was going on
User avatar
milknight
 
Posts: 13837
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:06 pm

Postby milknight » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:10 pm

RIXX wrote:
RIXX wrote:that's super cool and freaky

also...I think I know how I might've missed that shot. Was it in-between Steve burning alive and Peter waking up and exploring the house? That wide shot that cuts from daylight to nighttime? I think both times I was just mesmerized by that transition and looking at the upper half of the composition, I might've missed if all the naked ppl were surrounding the houseToggle Spoiler


I think this was it. I'm talking to my friend and she missed the shot too (and is aware of missing it because her friend described it to her)

weird

yeah it was this and it was kind of hard to make out the nude satanistsToggle Spoiler. but yeah sick shot
User avatar
milknight
 
Posts: 13837
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:06 pm

Postby Grey Poupon » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:14 pm

Did anyone get the sense that there is some kind of blood tie to Joan too? maybe I'm just reading into it because she and the mom had a similar hair colour


I've read a few "hereditary explained" articles, mainly because I just love reading about it, and I think one of the best things is that the explanation and set up is actually not obfuscated or far fetched/plot holey - what has occurred is all there spelled out within the movie, nice and logical, it just wasn't all apparent (to me anyway) on the first watching.
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
User avatar
Grey Poupon
 
Posts: 17152
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:53 am
Location: phonied up

Postby Grey Poupon » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:01 am

Image
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
User avatar
Grey Poupon
 
Posts: 17152
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:53 am
Location: phonied up

Postby ratbags » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:03 am

this was very very scary and i've seen the most fucked up movies in the world
session to session
User avatar
ratbags
 
Posts: 15441
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:05 am

Postby ratbags » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:06 am

i dont want to dig too deep into the mythology of it, the images were enough and i hope you all dont fuck around with it too much. the images in the last 40 minutes are terrifying enough and i think they are best served without too much thinking. they are perfectly served by just being a witness, like most horror movies.
session to session
User avatar
ratbags
 
Posts: 15441
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:05 am

Postby nautical hyperblast » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:15 am

variegated reality wrote:
nautical hyperblast wrote:know what was legitimately funny was all of the dialogue involving peter's dumb friends.

oh also online ceramics (shirt company i work for) did a collab with a24 on some hereditary shirts:
https://www.gq.com/story/hereditary-a24 ... rch-collab
http://online-ceramics.com


nb, you're working for online ceramics now? That's rad! I remember you posting some of their stuff a while ago in the Dead thread which got me to buy one. Some random person at the gym recognized the one I was wearing and said she was buds with them (you?). Anyway, good stuff!


As for the movie, I would have much preferred it stayed a dank family drama. It kinda lost me at the first seanceToggle Spoiler.

i was for a few months and i'm going back into production work for a couple months now. hopefully i'll be back with OC right after though because those are my boys. who was at the gym!? dm me if you want - too funny when board overlaps with real life.
Image
User avatar
nautical hyperblast
 
Posts: 10577
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:01 pm
Location: a gentrified neighborhood

Postby ratbags » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:17 am

The last 30 minutes were so scary to be a party to given what happened before
session to session
User avatar
ratbags
 
Posts: 15441
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:05 am

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ANU, chargie, Christmas Ape, Conetoaster, freezinseason, grayfox, murderhorn, OKterrific, shacky, sideshow raheem, swamp rock, trampoline, Viz, warmhouse