Hereditary, Midsommar, Beau Is Afraid (trailer)

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby Fr. Blanc » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:32 am

Needs to happen

Fr. Blanc

Postby feaxfang » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:55 am

Those passenger seat car shots of her driving around were sooo unsettling to me. I can't stop thinking about her performance in this.

feaxfang

Postby Fr. Blanc » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:13 pm

Fr. Blanc

Postby nautical hyperblast » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:12 pm

oh cool ari aster is two years younger than i am. :(

nautical hyperblast

Postby mellowgold » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:17 pm

Presenting Ari Aster's Top 10 Movies of all time, which are actually 25 movies
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby nautical hyperblast » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:28 pm

lol yeah, lot of 'ties'.

nautical hyperblast

Postby Rumpleforeskin » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:22 pm

No, it's a valid criticism. I am by no means a film buff or someone that tries to find nods or homages to other films or directors in films, but I couldn't help but get kinda hit over the head with the moments where it was like oh, this is the Shining. Rosemary's Baby. Umm, Donnie Darko, etc. But still enjoyed it immensely. Agree that this could have been really mediocre w/o Toni Collette's performance tho.

Rumpleforeskin

Postby Ersaph » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:25 pm

Loved ToniC in this, but the thing as a whole doesn't add up to much for me. It's the same ending I've seen in so many movies so many times before, it was actually a drag that the movie tipped its hand so early into where it was going.

But Toni Collette was perfection and deserves many awards.
And I feel like this year is really about, just the year of realizing stuff.

Ersaph

Postby mellowgold » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:50 pm

Help

wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby john plainman » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:54 pm

frick i forgot about that sick drawing

john plainman
Hello? Hello? Anybody home?

Postby Fr. Blanc » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:00 pm

G_S wrote:he just ranked directors

now that I think about it this movie was this boy's love letter to his Criterion Collection

I saw this at Alamo and he did a lil featurette beforehand in which he basically just pointed to Don't Look Now and, more generally, Peter Greenaway, as his specific touchstones

Fr. Blanc

Postby Thrustin Jeroux » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:22 pm

Did anyone else think that dinner Gabriel Byrne whipped up looked pretty tasty
you are only coming through in waves
Thrustin Jeroux

Postby Fr. Blanc » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:26 pm

Very true ratbags. And here I am still thinking that was a shitty character with nothing going on. My dude was clearly an expert on roasting chicken.

Fr. Blanc

Postby kid_chameleon » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:26 pm

He did drink a bit and have a car sob.

kid_chameleon

Postby Fr. Blanc » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:44 pm

I’d like to be the one that points out that my criticisms of Gabriel Byrne’s father role in this have been shortsighted and ignorant considering the fact that there are a literal 1,000+ movies in which the wife/mother are quiet shell-like characters.

Fr. Blanc

Postby Thrustin Jeroux » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:46 pm

i actually really liked the Steve character. he just seemed so fed up, like he had reached his breaking point years prior and just locked it up inside and drank and chopped carrots and fell asleep in his chair
Thrustin Jeroux

Postby Thrustin Jeroux » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:47 pm

like the first time we see him he's just frustrated, just like completely over this whole thing
Thrustin Jeroux

Postby Thrustin Jeroux » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:48 pm

but yeah that dinner looked great and so much salad too. i wonder what kind of dressing he tossed on there.
Thrustin Jeroux

Postby Fr. Blanc » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:02 pm

There was a whole article on that. Apparently it was just a simple italian vin w balsamic and oregano

Fr. Blanc

Postby tricksforchips » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:45 am

Yeah I loved this movie. Had a good time chatting about it afterwards as well as to whether this was all pre-determined or if they took advantage of the accident. Also some really amazing horrific imagery.

Haven't been that shocked in a film in a long time when Charlie gets decapitated.Toggle Spoiler The following few scenes where Toni C is just screaming pretty well sums up the tone of the film. So intense and dreadful.

tricksforchips

Postby rixx » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:53 am

tricksforchips wrote:Yeah I loved this movie. Had a good time chatting about it afterwards as well as to whether this was all pre-determined or if they took advantage of the accident. Also some really amazing horrific imagery.

it was pre-determined. as mentioned upthread, the pole had a sigil of paimon etched into it

but I am curious about the extent of Annie's involvement. she is obviously fighting against the family sacrifice, but as Peter points out, she is the one that forcefully pushes Charlie towards the party against her wishes and sets everything in motionToggle Spoiler

rixx

Postby tricksforchips » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:56 am

But that's where I'm thinking that there's a lot that has to be left up to chance (brother takes the Charlie into the room at the party instead of telling her to have cake, the mom folds and lets Charlie to stay at home, the cake doesn't have nuts) -- unless all of these sigils are pushing everyone to act in a certain way regardless of the scenario that was presented.

tricksforchips

Postby Kevin McCallister » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:16 pm

john plainman wrote:
RIXX wrote:
john plainman wrote:
mondays wrote:had a great time watching this but the entire time i couldn't help but think it has little to no rewatch value and it's going to age terribly

i woke up this morning immediately thinking about this movie, which i never do for anything. i think its going to age really well and tbh i'd love to see it again! the acting is just so insanely strong.

I want to see it again jsut because I have a feeling the mythology of the ending was hinted at in clues along the way in plain sight
even the intro funeral scene where annie talks about her mom having private friends, private rituals, etc
Toggle Spoiler

charlie telling her mother; "grandma wanted me to be a boy", the brother who committed suicide because ellen was "trying to put people inside him".

one thing i wonder about, is how much annie knew, either consciously or repressed? she says her mother had dissociative identity disorder, but i feel like she was either projecting her own diagnosis or they shared it, as is their heredity
Toggle Spoiler

IMO she does everything she can to not confront this reality while fooling herself into thinking she has. She describes her miniatures as objective and natural observation, ridding it of emotion and dismissing her role in the events. I loved how the characters compartmentalize their anger and sadness. Like ratbags said, the father quietly chops away and drinks at work. The son tries to act as if nothing happened and goes to bed. They repress and blow up and repress some more.
The way Charlie picks up her mom's habits is really interesting. It doesn't seem to be a method of compartmentalizing because there is little true emotion there to compartmentalize, it's just a ritual of creating dolls and miniatures. If she didn't have a King of Hell inside of her she would grow up to be an even emptier form of her mother.Toggle Spoiler

Kevin McCallister

Postby Kevin McCallister » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:17 pm

tricksforchips wrote:But that's where I'm thinking that there's a lot that has to be left up to chance (brother takes the Charlie into the room at the party instead of telling her to have cake, the mom folds and lets Charlie to stay at home, the cake doesn't have nuts) -- unless all of these sigils are pushing everyone to act in a certain way regardless of the scenario that was presented.

It's a stretch but maybe it's just one of many traps they had laid out.

Kevin McCallister

Postby manvstrees » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:52 pm

this was fun and good and sick
Slartisfgh is never mentioned in The Bible, but it is here, during one of the early battles, that Matthew spontaneously became liquid.
Radiation trace: negligible

manvstrees

Postby madness and chaos » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:13 pm

going to this rn

It better be good
Roberto Bolaño's chair

madness and chaos

Postby FourLegsGood » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:19 am

I don't get Gabriel Byrne's character being "quiet" or "shell like". He seemed really supportive initially given the weight of everything that was happening and, when his wife started going off the deep end (in his eyes, at least), he grew increasingly protective of his son because he believed she was a growing threat to him. Maybe I've a myopic view of what was wrong with his actions and need to examine myself but I kinda identified with his actions (at least coming from his limited perspective of what was actually happening).

FourLegsGood

Postby jalapeño ranch » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:21 am

I agree with you.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby madness and chaos » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:00 am

Illuminati jargon
Roberto Bolaño's chair

madness and chaos

Postby Fr. Blanc » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:08 am

I don't think there was anything wrong with Steve's actions. I was just commenting on his character traits and their marriage. As someone in here I think said, by the time we are checking in they've already been down a long road and arrived at a place where he is just a quiet, protective, defeated type of guy. Perhaps a bit too on the complacent side in the first third as the situation is rapidly deteriorating, but it's not like he is going to More Closely Supervise his way into stopping a pre-ordained ritual of murder and ascendancy. Though I do think if my wife had a habit of sleepwalking in a way that endangered the lives of my children, I might have a better system in place so I don't also sleep through it.

It's a true to real life depiction of what a middle-aged marriage may look like under those circumstances, but his is not a dynamic performance in any way to me. Granted he is contrasted by two unbelievably interesting characters and performances, and it's not his story, but I was still a bit underwhelmed.

Fr. Blanc

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley