Hereditary, Midsommar, Beau Is Afraid (trailer)

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby jefe górgory » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:57 am

i'm going to give toni collette tons of points simply based off the number of scenes where it would cut to her in a different location and i just did not recognize her for example when she was cutting her own throat at the end it took me a second to register.Toggle Spoiler

i felt really bad for Gabriel Byrne lol, i think this thread did a good job analyzing his character, i just have a soft spot because i like him as an actor and my dad's name is steveToggle Spoiler

there was some really funny dialogue in this movie (quite a bit seemed like it could be construed as having been played for laughs for example when steve said something about going up to see her dead mother in the attic and if there was anything elseToggle Spoiler i liked when peter asked his crush how the party was and she said "what, do you want to know if you should come or not?"
in the process of making 100k off serie a fan tokens by socios

jefe górgory

Postby Thrustin Jeroux » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:02 am

You paid for the seat not the movie babies
you are only coming through in waves
Thrustin Jeroux

Postby Honk For Dracula » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:06 am

I agree with ratbags. horror cinema is often a dialogue

Honk For Dracula

Postby rixx » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:23 am

Celiac Cruz wrote:This was really good! I was nervous about it because I'm really a novice to horror, and haven't properly found my sort of niche that I like in a horror movie. I couldn't tell at all what it was going to be about it from the trailer so I was dreading I wouldn't be into it.

It still took me a while to get into the plot, but I like how it builds upon itself and then it reveals itself in the end.

Rixx where did you see it? I saw it at BAM and had a similar experience.

Williamsburg Cinemas! Sounds like the audio was recorded that way then

I forgive most laughing at horror movies because I recognize it as a nervous release, plus like the line celiac mentioned, there was a lot of intentionally really funny lines (also toni's performance def veers on comical at times). The only reason at all laughing bothers me is that I'm not the easiest person to scare (humblebrag) so i really work to immerse myself in horror films, which builds up my vulnerability to scares. Someone else laughing immediately breaks that illusion. But I'm realizing that might be a problem with the movie being so campy and not necessarily at ppl in the audience. after all if it was truly scary they wouldn't be laughing

rixx

Postby Honk For Dracula » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:28 am

I throw out an "oh shit" here and there that's my right!

I did a big guttural fuuuuck at the Charlie reveal

Honk For Dracula

Postby Thrustin Jeroux » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:29 am

Laughing and gasping and oh shitting I wouldn't trade for anything
Thrustin Jeroux

Postby john plainman » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:33 am

ratbags wrote:Laughing and gasping and oh shitting I wouldn't trade for anything

100% with you. i was lucky that there were no debbie downers in my theater i guess, like the mouth clucker

john plainman
Hello? Hello? Anybody home?

Postby Honk For Dracula » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:33 am

put on your powdered gloves if you expect. pristine night out at the pictures, they'll find you to your box seats. I'm throwing popcorn in the air and hollerin

Honk For Dracula

Postby rixx » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:34 am

I read an interview that said the accident was initially way more gruesome and revealing but was cut down a ton in post. Aster was like "fuck this is a kid, what have we done, this is way too gnarly." But then they show that shot of the head lolToggle Spoiler

rixx

Postby Thrustin Jeroux » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:35 am

My favorite is when someone sees something in the background and shouts rapidly NONONONONONO
Thrustin Jeroux

Postby Honk For Dracula » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:39 am

that whole sequence oh my fuck. palms sweaty for the whole thing, I was just ripples of crawling skin until I heard Collette shriek. then the weird way the follow up refused to address it head on (ha ha) was such a denial of closure that only made everything leading to that dinner scene just fuuuuuuuuuuuck

Honk For Dracula

Postby Honk For Dracula » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:40 am

actually a few scenes towards the end the audience gasped and I realized I should be seeing something so it helped

Honk For Dracula

Postby rixx » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:41 am

I mean yeah i love all those things too, i absolutely love hearing ppl react to horror films, that's why i try to go near opening night. I posted earlier that my favorite audience moment was slowly hearing people spot Toni C in the corner near the end

I just don't like when the laughing feels openly antagonistic or like the person is above the experience. It's a fine line but ya know whatever, I'm never gonna say something lol

rixx

Postby Thrustin Jeroux » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:43 am

See I read it as like it it's that antagonizing laughter then the person is the scaredest person in the room and overcompensating which makes me laugh and enjoy it all the more
Last edited by Thrustin Jeroux on Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thrustin Jeroux

Postby jefe górgory » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:43 am

loaf angel wrote:I throw out an "oh shit" here and there that's my right!

I did a big guttural fuuuuck at the Charlie reveal

I did a big "oh shit whaaaat!" right at the car accidentToggle Spoiler because i just had no clue where the movie was going to go after that

jefe górgory

Postby Thrustin Jeroux » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:45 am

Like just inmediately knowing the weakest link in the room cause they literally try to laugh in the face of horror
Thrustin Jeroux

Postby rixx » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:56 am

Lol that is hilarious. I'm gonna remember that for the next horror film I see (halloween?)

rixx

Postby Swelling Itching Brain » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:20 am

ratbags wrote:Like just inmediately knowing the weakest link in the room cause they literally try to laugh in the face of horror

yeah tough guy douche bags who are too scared to suspend their disbelief (tone sincere)
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Swelling Itching Brain

Postby Fr. Blanc » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:06 am

I saw Halloween in the theaters and wouldn’t you know it, everybody in the theater was wearing a dang Myers mask and skulking around the whole time

Fr. Blanc

Postby Kevin McCallister » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:51 am

Something to keep in mind is that the Quebec rating is 13+ and as a teenager going to go see a horror movies I was definitely yelling a lot and treating the theatre as my living room.

But now I'm spoiled with 1080p leaks so when I go see a movie I expect it to be as quiet and somber as my living room.

Kevin McCallister

Postby odilon redon » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:20 pm

the “clucking” shit is just the worst though in how this movie widely leaves the door open for annoying terrible theatergoers to act like fucking assholes and how said movie patrons oh so happily and expectedly walk right through

odilon redon

Postby john plainman » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:34 pm

I waited until I was driving home with my wife to drop a perfectly timed cluck

john plainman
Hello? Hello? Anybody home?

Postby Future » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:52 pm

i saw this at Williamsburg Cinemas too which is kinda the shittiest theater around (both technically and because of the young-ish crowds) but apart from some teens laughing at their own dumb shit for the first 5 minutes the crowd was fine. i agree with a lot of what ratbags said on this page.

this experience reminded me of seeing mother! last summer in a few ways; going in blind/spoiler-free and just getting on the ride, 2 deliberately paced acts and a third that's a burst of intense action, tonal confusion ("i want to laugh at this, am i supposed to laugh at this?"). i really liked it.
The profit motive has given my dog horrible separation anxiety,

Future

Postby jefe górgory » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:58 pm

this is something i'm confused about personally, does Annie actually sleepwalk in that scene when she tells peter that she didn't want to be his mother and then they are both covered in paint thinner? The order seemed to go
1. she "wakes up" and sees the ants,
2. she follows them into the room and sees peter and gets close to them
3. peter wakes up
4. she wakes up, he tells her she was sleepwalking
5. then they have the conversation, they become covered in paint thinner then
6. she wakes up in bed and then does the seance for the first time
Toggle Spoiler

i also don't know if this changes anything

jefe górgory

Postby Thrustin Jeroux » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:00 pm

i think that was a dream within a dream.
Thrustin Jeroux

Postby rixx » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:01 pm

i'm sorry for belaboring this point but is this the shot where u see the naked satanis spirits outside the house?
it's been bothering me since i missed the shot both times I saw it. i can't spot anything but maybe the cam version is just too dark
this takes place after steve burns up, before peter wakes upToggle Spoiler

rixx

Postby rixx » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:08 pm

also like i said i really like toni's performance but some of her reactions gave me kinda

ImageImage

vibes lol

rixx

Postby FourLegsGood » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:19 pm

I thought it was after he was possessed and walking to the tree houseToggle Spoiler

FourLegsGood

Postby rixx » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:30 pm

ohh. with the three people right? i saw that both times. i'm an idiot

rixx

Postby easy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:30 pm

the shot in question happens after the dad goes up in flames and before peter wakes up in bed for the final set pieceToggle Spoiler

it's an outdoor shot of the house at twilight that smash cuts to the same exact shot but at night. it's the second time in the movie where an establishing shot of the house abruptly goes from day to night

none of the naked bodies are moving—they're just standimg still, naked, and arranged all over the yard.

there are other shots of these naked people—closer, medium shots—that happen from peter's POV, immediately before the final scene in the treehouse, hence the confusion ITT

easy
does it

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley