Hereditary, Midsommar, Beau Is Afraid (trailer)

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby ashtrayheart » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:41 pm

not that there’s anything wrong with those types of horror films, mind!

ashtrayheart

Postby ashtrayheart » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:42 pm

woooo, i don’t know if i really understood the plot even with the exposition, so i was thankful for it. i thought it poured on the anticipation a bit much and i was really ready for it to take off, when it finally did it was very goood though.

ashtrayheart

Postby mellowgold » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:21 pm

it's been over 24 hours since ive seen this and i keep thinking about it and wanting to talk about it!!!!!
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby Fr. Blanc » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:31 pm

I sure did love Toni Collette in this

Fr. Blanc

Postby nautical hyperblast » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:55 pm

I can’t believe people are bummed on this at all. I can’t rememebr the last time I had so much fun being scared and holy shit the camera work had the film nerd in me drooling. That opening shot too!!!

nautical hyperblast

Postby Honk For Dracula » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:13 pm

I was dumped 10 mins and had my phone stolen 5 mins before going into the theater. I was in a way too emotional vulnerable state

Honk For Dracula

Postby blue sunshine » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:17 pm

Franco wrote:I sure did love Toni Collette in this

The range of emotions she puts out in this is pretty incredible.

This look :)

blue sunshine

Postby lightfoot » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:43 pm

fuck i need to see this so bad

lightfoot

Postby CoolRanch » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:58 pm

woah
the car sceneToggle Spoiler is maybe the most disturbing thing i've ever seen in a movie
they really handled grief and shock with realism i think, like thecar scene, and the family dinner sceneToggle Spoiler. the dialogue and acting was incredible.

there were two kids maybe 8 years old in the theatre with a parent lol

CoolRanch

Postby zach york » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:10 pm

yeah there were a few kids in my showing too. they seemed much less shook than me.

zach york

Postby someguy » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:47 pm

the dinner scene is by far the best part of the movie, it's melodramatic but so brutal in its emotional bluntness and toni collette sells the hell out of it

that scene made me wish it just stayed as an ominous family drama and didn't go full horror by the end
apologies

someguy
ok

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:11 am

aside from what's been mentioned, the pre-climax shot of the distant family home with all the naked bodies standing around itToggle Spoiler was sick and probably was missed by a lot of people. also the weird thing that stuck with me the most was toni collette intensely banging her head on the attic doorToggle Spoiler

Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby feaxfang » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:57 am

This was fun. It definitely didn't go where I expected but it worked for me because of it.

feaxfang

Postby hyperbole man » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:49 am

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:the pre-climax shot of the distant family home with all the naked bodies standing around itToggle Spoiler

woah what when
hyperbole man
post/username

Postby hyperbole man » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:50 am

also this was really great, gonna be turning it over in my head for some time
hyperbole man
post/username

Postby Honk For Dracula » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:55 am

hyperbole man wrote:
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:the pre-climax shot of the distant family home with all the naked bodies standing around itToggle Spoiler

woah what when

there's an establishing shot towards the end

Honk For Dracula

Postby john plainman » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:02 am

I love key of SolomonToggle Spoiler type shit so the ending worked very well for me.

This was the most scared/tense I've ever been watching a movie. I was completely drawn into the world. Someguy/other non terrified folks, what has scared you more?!?

john plainman
Hello? Hello? Anybody home?

Postby Tetradyne » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:44 am

I had a great time, though the experience was slightly marred by my idiot work crew I saw it with. They claimed it was the worst movie they ever saw, totally boring, etc. Fuck them. I need a new job.

Tetradyne

Postby rixx » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:36 am

john plainman wrote:I love key of SolomonToggle Spoiler type shit so the ending worked very well for me.

This was the most scared/tense I've ever been watching a movie. I was completely drawn into the world. Someguy/other non terrified folks, what has scared you more?!?

i typically don't really get scared in horror films, as much as I really really want to and keep trying to

i'm just waiting til they start filming horror films in VR and then i can really get scared out of my mind

in this movie, I think the only scenes that really messed with me were the scene where Annie is talking to Peter and they get progressively wetter with kerosene and then you see her holding the match. and also when you see the photo of the grandmother&joanie&co performing rituals on the photo of Annie's family.Toggle Spoilerall the horror stuff in the second half was fun but not really scary, it sustained a nice mood tho
Last edited by rixx on Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

rixx

Postby rixx » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:42 am

someguy wrote:the dinner scene is by far the best part of the movie, it's melodramatic but so brutal in its emotional bluntness and toni collette sells the hell out of it

that scene made me wish it just stayed as an ominous family drama and didn't go full horror by the end

toni collette for sure but alex wolff is also really phenomenal in that scene too. he really knows how to channel emotion thru his eyes

rixx

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:42 am

the only part that really didn't sit well with me was the "twist" that joanie was up to no good and actually knew annie's mom. maybe it was because i'm used to ann dowd playing that type of role but this was pretty obvious during her first scene and the scene where annie was looking through the photobook was presented as some mindblowing revelationToggle Spoiler

Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby rixx » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:46 am

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:the only part that really didn't sit well with me was the "twist" that joanie was up to no good and actually knew annie's mom. maybe it was because i'm used to ann dowd playing that type of role but this was pretty obvious during her first scene and the scene where annie was looking through the photobook was presented as some mindblowing revelationToggle Spoiler

i think the fact that joanie was up to something wasn't meant to be a surprise? the telegraphed it way too obviously for it to be a real twist moment, it was apparent in every scene she was in. i think the photobook scene was more of a revelation towards what exactly was going on, aka joanie and ellen were doing these freaky spells on their familyToggle Spoiler

rixx

Postby Fr. Blanc » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:03 am

I wish I liked this more. I think the hype and definitely the trailer took some impact out of the experience. Collette and Wolff were fucking amazing. Which is good because Gabriel Byrne has absolutely nothing to do. Mirroring the thoughts of others I enjoyed it and keep thinking about on the level of a family drama and less a horror. Which clearly isn’t a sub-textual read because all of those elements—grief, resentment, commitment— were delivered hand in hand with the growing spiritual scares at all times.

Fr. Blanc

Postby Fr. Blanc » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:10 am

I guess having posted that I’m realizing that’s my ideal for the genre. To be strongly about something else other than fright. I’m a lot more tense and scared by brutal reality horror, like a simple Strangers home invasion thing for example, but that’s just empty carbs. And this is a truly great example of being more. So graded on a horror scale I could’ve been more exhilarated. But as a genre bending movie, I liked it a good amount.

Fr. Blanc

Postby Splash Montgomery » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:19 am

had a great time watching this but the entire time i couldn't help but think it has little to no rewatch value and it's going to age terribly

Splash Montgomery

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:33 am

RIXX wrote:
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:the only part that really didn't sit well with me was the "twist" that joanie was up to no good and actually knew annie's mom. maybe it was because i'm used to ann dowd playing that type of role but this was pretty obvious during her first scene and the scene where annie was looking through the photobook was presented as some mindblowing revelationToggle Spoiler

i think the fact that joanie was up to something wasn't meant to be a surprise? the telegraphed it way too obviously for it to be a real twist moment, it was apparent in every scene she was in. i think the photobook scene was more of a revelation towards what exactly was going on, aka joanie and ellen were doing these freaky spells on their familyToggle Spoiler

perhaps, but the way it was shot, scored and acted had some major third act plot twist type vibes

maybe it was just me though

Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby chumpchange » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:41 am

I really liked this. I was most disturbed by all of Toni Collette's last fifteen minutes. The scene where Peter is in the attic and turns, and you just see his face and hear that wet *schluck, schluck* noise was the most viscerally uncomfortable I've been in a theater in a long time. I could probably have lived with less exposition at the end, but I'm also dense enough that I needed to have it spelled out for me that the demon had been stuck inside Charlie all that timeToggle Spoiler.
Last edited by chumpchange on Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
chumpchange

Postby john plainman » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:41 am

mondays wrote:had a great time watching this but the entire time i couldn't help but think it has little to no rewatch value and it's going to age terribly

i woke up this morning immediately thinking about this movie, which i never do for anything. i think its going to age really well and tbh i'd love to see it again! the acting is just so insanely strong.

john plainman

Postby john plainman » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:42 am

chumpchange wrote:I really liked this. I was most disturbed by all of Toni College's last fifteen minutes. The scene where Peter is in the attic and turns, and you just see his face and hear that we *schluck, schluck* noise was the most viscerally uncomfortable I've been in a theater in a long time. I could probably have lived with less exposition at the end, but I'm also dense enough that I needed to have it spelled out for me that the demon had been stuck inside Charlie all that timeToggle Spoiler.

yes thats the scene that my mind keeps going back to. her facial expression is just.... fuck

john plainman

Postby rixx » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:53 am

john plainman wrote:
mondays wrote:had a great time watching this but the entire time i couldn't help but think it has little to no rewatch value and it's going to age terribly

i woke up this morning immediately thinking about this movie, which i never do for anything. i think its going to age really well and tbh i'd love to see it again! the acting is just so insanely strong.

I want to see it again jsut because I have a feeling the mythology of the ending was hinted at in clues along the way in plain sight
even the intro funeral scene where annie talks about her mom having private friends, private rituals, etc
Toggle Spoiler

rixx

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley