Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Reliable Tradesman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:46 am

Please keep this updated, I’m thirsty for gambling narratives.
Reliable Tradesman

Postby Hideaway Lights » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:53 pm

Reliable Tradesman wrote:Please keep this updated, I’m thirsty for gambling narratives.

Will do. This ought to be interesting since last night I really could have gone busto if any one of 8 outs my opponent had had hit the river (any deuce, any queen, any king), so I kinda feel like I have a second life here with the $1780. I don't think I'm going back to those limits until I have more of a roll for it.

I had an interesting situation yesterday online:

I have Ah Kh two positions after the blinds (for those that don't know lingo, this is referred to as UTG+1, as the first position after the blinds is called "Under the Gun". The guy behind me had been auto reraising every time I raised, which was starting to piss me off. He had made it 17 every time I made it 6 four times in a row, and I had laid down hands like 66, AJo, T9s, etc. So I make it $6 and he makes it $17 again. I thought about coming all the way over the top but I thought he was loose enough just to call with anything and I didn't want to run a race for $200. I just call.

Flop comes As 9s 2s. I check intending to checkraise, as I'm hoping he has something like Ad Jc and I can stack him. He bets $20, I come over the top for $100. He thinks for a solid 10 seconds and shoves $250. What do you do?

I call and he flips up Js Ts. What the actual fuck lol. I got stacked for $250.I should have reraised preflop to $80, but as played I can't get away with his table image after I got to the flop that way.Toggle Spoiler
Hideaway Lights

Postby Hideaway Lights » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:07 pm

also my online stash is now crippled and I'm microstaking again LOL. I cashed out my ignition balance of $466 to my bitcoin wallet intending to roll that to America's Cardroom but it's being held hostage in transaction hell because these sites just like waiting two days with your goddamned money for no reason. Once I have that out I'll flip it to the other site but for now I'm at about $100 at AMC playing $3-$10 donkaments

Quite a change from last night to say the least
Last edited by Hideaway Lights on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hideaway Lights

Postby nautical hyperblast » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:11 pm

milano boy wrote:how do i get into a manhattan card game and how seedy underworld is it, because that's what i want.

i used to play at the ace point club next to central park but i'm fairly sure that place is gone. it was backgammon / poker. pretty good live game.

i've been moving money from bitcoin to a site called carbon because they offer a really good bonus deal and it helps when bitcoin is swingy. been doing well enough in the daily tournaments to pay rent this month already (i'm between production gigs), but i don't really trust the cash games. supposedly hold 'em has been solved but i don't really see it that way and have been doing fine after adjusting my game and becoming far far far more aggressive. raising 3/4x preflop in position and c-betting isn't enough anymore.
nautical hyperblast

Postby Hideaway Lights » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:12 pm

nautical hyperblast wrote:
milano boy wrote:how do i get into a manhattan card game and how seedy underworld is it, because that's what i want.

i used to play at the ace point club next to central park but i'm fairly sure that place is gone. it was backgammon / poker. pretty good live game.

i've been moving money from bitcoin to a site called carbon because they offer a really good bonus deal and it helps when bitcoin is swingy. been doing well enough in the daily tournaments to pay rent this month already (i'm between production gigs), but i don't really trust the cash games. supposedly hold 'em has been solved but i don't really see it that way and have been doing fine after adjusting my game and becoming far far far more aggressive. raising 3/4x preflop in position and c-betting isn't enough anymore.

I would love for you to expand on the solved point
Hideaway Lights

Postby Hideaway Lights » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:13 pm

I agree with your second point about being far far far more aggressive. Three betting the turn with air is like the new normal
Hideaway Lights

Postby nautical hyperblast » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:17 pm

yeah that's the whole game theory optimal approach. also over betting the river like 3x the pot and a bunch of other weird moves that are still beyond me. as far as it being solved it's kinda just something i've read in various places (r/poker, etc) but there's computer programs that supposedly solved at very least heads up nlhe... but i don't buy it.

you should play on carbon, no softer site. americas cardroom is insanely tough.
nautical hyperblast

Postby Hideaway Lights » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:28 pm

nautical hyperblast wrote:yeah that's the whole game theory optimal approach. also over betting the river like 3x the pot and a bunch of other weird moves that are still beyond me. as far as it being solved it's kinda just something i've read in various places (r/poker, etc) but there's computer programs that supposedly solved at very least heads up nlhe... but i don't buy it.

you should play on carbon, no softer site. americas cardroom is insanely tough.

That's interesting about heads up. I mean, opening my range and using position and odds to just punish any opponent who didn't understand how hand values didn't change is usually enough to win 70%-80%. I think the human element actually helps quite a LOT though. There's just not that many variables, and you get a real intangible feel for someone if you're deep enough with them. I think even 3 handed or four handed though it gets too complex to be solvable.

I'll def check out carbon, thanks for the rec! Yeah, I know AMC is tough but I'm playing through signup bonuses rn. Is rakeback still a thing? Does Carbon have it?
Hideaway Lights

Postby Hideaway Lights » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:31 pm

As a side note I've also gotten my girlfriend into the game and I'm proud to announce that she took second in a $7 online tournament for like a $115 score the other day. She's way too tight passive but she just started playing like two weeks ago.
Hideaway Lights

Postby nautical hyperblast » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:15 pm

god dammit i just got 2nd in the carbon $33/2k guaranteed ($450). i'm confident i could have won against dude too buuut AK<AJ aipf.
nautical hyperblast

Postby Hideaway Lights » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:07 am

nautical hyperblast wrote:god dammit i just got 2nd in the carbon $33/2k guaranteed ($450). i'm confident i could have won against dude too buuut AK<AJ aipf.

Damn. Damn.

still, second place is pretty chill - congrats

:barney:
Hideaway Lights

Postby Hideaway Lights » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:17 am

The online rollercoaster continued this week, so I finally decided to stop jumping all over limits and tourney types and picked a lane while continuing to clear my America’s Cardroom bonuses. Yep, I’m micro limit grinding, as our friend in the video above is so damned fond of. After finally getting my shit out of Ignition, i fully transitioned to America’s Cardroom to unlock the rest of my bonuses, but will be over at Carbon soon as well.

Anyway, was around $600 online altogether then drifted all way down to $375 dancing all over limits and tourneys. After thinking hard and picking a cash game lane, I’m up 9 buyins over the last 24 hours at the $25 NL level (about $8 per hour per table over 27 hours of total table play). I have some bonuses I haven’t yet cashed, and an emergency reserve in bitcoin in the Mycelium, so in addition to the $572, my reserves are at about $100. If I can get my online balance back to $1000 altogether, I will jump up to $50NL to see how I can fare at that level on this site. I know the competition isn’t the softest, but I’m faring well after making some tweaks to my microlimit game and feeling decent about the future.

I have some interesting hands I’ll post tomorrow, and I’ll likely be back in the live ring tomorrow night - GLA

Online total buyin: $1000 / current balance: $572 + $100 / net profit -$338
Live total buyin: $500 / current balance: $1780 / net profit $1280
Total net profit $918
Hideaway Lights

Postby bold man » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:06 am

milano boy wrote:i'm actually kinda serious about finding a regular card game in nyc.

i really wanted to put together a hpn game a few years back and failed, but still really like this idea
in the international space station having a three-way with hillary clinton and sarah palin
bold man
ok

Postby bold man » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:20 am

Hideaway Lights wrote:I sat at the $2/$5 Rockford game tonight and OMFG is that game crazy and juicy. There’s no upper end on what you can sit with at the main game, some guys had $5-$7k in front of them. One rich drunk cash station was stuck for at least $4k. I was mostly down about $300-$500 all night on a buyin of $1200 but on the third to last hand I floated with 6h5h in middle position. B.B. raised to 40, rich drunk cash station called in front of me and I caught a call tell behind me so I decided to continue the float, especially because drunk ATM was in. Flop was 6c 5d 2h. Drunk ATM leads with $175, I raised to $375 and big blind just calls. Uh oh. Drunk folds. Turn is a Qc and big blind puts me all in for $414. I make him for kings or aces, and call after thinking about it for a couple minutes to review the action. He flips over kings thinking he’s way ahead of 88 or 99 and when he sees my hand he flips out and when the river hits a 10s he starts saying NICE FUCKING CRACK YOU.... and just picks up the rest of his chips and storms off. Ultimately turned $1200 into $1780.

this is such a fun read esp when youve been grinding for hours

you know the guy still thinks he played this perfectly
in the international space station having a three-way with hillary clinton and sarah palin
bold man
ok

Postby Hideaway Lights » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:24 am

Thanks man - here’s the extended version of the story I sent in an email to my buddies. I figured I would share it here as well

As I said in a private text to Paul and Geoff... what's going on in the banquet halls of west and northwest suburban Chicago certainly isn't your father's Rockford Charitable Games.

No, sir, it’s not.

After the successes I'd seen in the tournament ring over a nice January at RCG (two firsts and a third in four tournaments - in the noncash I was AI overpair vs flush draw that got there against a very loose player- a player whose brains I beat in heads up in my very next tourney), I decided it was time to test out where my cash game was at with these people. I hadn't yet come across a better tournament player at the RCG (in the admittedly small sample size I'd experienced), but let's face it, I've always known since the Old Days that my tournament game was pretty good, but that it also played a helluva lot better than my cash game, overall. To be honest, I don't really have, and have never really had, a sense on where exactly my cash game is at ROI/bb per 100 wise. However, the bread and butter of any truly profitable poker player is the cash game, especially online, so I decided that if I was going to see where I was at, it was truly time to bite the bullet and start The Work.

So, out of the Donkaments and into the fire I went.

I showed up last Tuesday night with my entire $1200 Live Bankroll. On the previous action, I was up exactly $700 on my initial buyin of half a thou. My plan, going in, was to play the $1/$2 $200 max NL, and then possibly work up if I could, but unfortunately, there was a list 3-4 deep for a seat at one of 2 $1/$2 NL tables. Sigh. It was currently 6:30. Time for plan B. I evaluated my options. I could either do a $40 sit n go, then play the subsequent 8pm tournament for $125, or.....there was immediate seating on $2/$5 NL. I really didn't want to play the SNG, because the idea just bored the shit out of me. On top of that, the $125 tourney was tempting with my previous success, but part of the reason I was more anxious to try the cash game was because the tourney rake is ABSOLUTELY OBSCENE at RCG. You pay $125, $25 goes to the rake. On top of that, tourney winners and placers are tacitly expected to tip dealers out around 10%. In other words, the ROI on the money is really suspect here, even if you're good.

So, I decided to take a dangerous flyer on a game way above my BR. Now, of course, I knew this was extremely risky, but I decided that I was in a bit of a position to just roll my previous winnings into this. After all, if I lost a buyin of $500, I would reevaluate, and probably drop down to $200NL still up that very same amount overall. There were two $2/$5 tables - the main game, which was full, and had been full since 4pm, and the feeder game, which was about 7 handed when I sat down at it.

Some additional backstory is relevant here. An arcade friend of mine named DJ actually works at RCG as a tech guy, and while he's not one of the elite players on the arcade scene, he has a few great scores himself, is a regular at GGA, and is active in the online groups. He definitely knows my resume at the arcade scene, and we also know each other socially fairly well and are friendly. Although I've been keeping a pretty low profile at RCG, it seemed likely that I'd now been discussed among at least the employees, as some of the money people and dealers remembered me by name (some of whom I honestly didn't recall myself, although I tip well, and generally am nice to the staff). I got a few "heys" by name walking in the door from a couple players as well. Interesting. I buy in, take my seat and DJ taps me on the shoulder and walks out the front door without looking back. I take the cue he wants me to follow. In the hallway he turns around and says "The guy to your left is someone I really don't like. Hes an asshole. He's also a super wealthy, super loose, somewhat aggressive player, and if you take a piece out of him I would really appreciate it." I told him I really, really appreciate that tip and tap him on the shoulder. I head to the bathroom when he heads back inside to make it not too obvious what just happened.

I come back to my seat. The aforementioned man is absent, but his chips are in front of his chair in a relatively disarrayed mountain. The man to my right is a very heavy set dude, about my age, and will immediately start cozying up to me in the typical "you're to my immediate left and I want you to be my best fucking friend" way. I will let this happen, as I don't recognize any of these players, this guy is (from what I can immediately tell) a solid player, connected to higher level gambling circles in Chicago, and a regular at this limit and game. On top of that, he does seem like a very nice guy. We strike up a rapport. The man to my left returns. This guy is much older, and upon sitting down yells "SOMETHING FUCKING STINKS" and turns to me. The guy to my right says "it's probably the hamburger someone just brought to the table, Tom. Relax." Tom says "IT SMELLS LIKE FUCKING PUS". I blankly stare. The guy to my right gives me a look like "don't worry about it" and I say while looking at the dude to my left "I don't know what you're talking about". "IT SMELLS LIKE PUS AND I WANT THAT SEAT OVER THERE." Tom says as he points across the table. He gets up moves to a seat four seats down from me. I'm just kind of shocked more than anything, because this is an obvious show play, but I say to myself whatever. The guy to my right chuckles and says "welcome to the table, I'm Lenny". I shake Lenny's hand and he says "Don't worry about Tom - he's just an asshole." I heed his advice and just ignore this.

We're pushing around blinds mostly, but I'm down a bit, because the action is good and the variance gonna be high. Suddenly within four orbits, I'm into a Real Hand. I have a habit of playing medium to small suited connectors to a standard raise in late position with a couple callers in front of me, especially on the button and in this case, I have 8s 7s on the button itself. I try to limp in. The standard raise at this table is $25-$30, and becomes pertinent when my limp runs into an obstacle course when the small blind raises to $30. In the small blind this usually means to me either something like AQ that doesn't want to play postflop out of position, or obviously a premium hand like AK, AKs, JJ-AA. I had no read on this player, and it could have been 99 for all I know, but I put him on something good. Tom snap calls just behind him, one other guy in mid position calls, and I'm last to call and do. The pot is now $120.

The Flop comes 5s 6s Jd to give me a straight flush draw. I'm kind of amazed, as opportunities this good simply don't come around very often, yet here we are. Small blind comes out firing for $50. Tom snap calls $50. Mid position guy mucks. I consider making a move here, but my read on the small blind was that he was on a high pair, or at worst a loose aggro play of AJs, so a move only gets me a call here, and puts me heads up, which if my flush and straight outs are all good, makes me only a slight favorite. I think it would have been worth a push IF I had a super tight table image, as well, but nobody knows me here, so I have zero image value. However, I decided just to call...so I did. Pot's now at $270. Turn is a blank 2c which doesn't do anything for anyone. Without hesitation, the small blind goes AI for $300. Tom goes into think tank. I have about $300 myself, as I was already down $120 from some earlier action (a couple of AKs didn't hit the flop on raises and a small pair got eaten alive on an ace turn). Tom calls after a moment. I'm getting three to one on my money, I have what I think are 14 outs to 45 live cards (I counted the high pair as having one non-flush out at least). Close enough. I call. The river 4c hits and I announce that I have the nuts as I flip it over. Small blind flips up Qd Qh and says nh, while Tom goes ballistic after he flips over As Qs and begins to chastise me for being an idiotic player making such an idiotic series of calls. I attempt to explain that I had a straight flush draw and he screams I HAD ALL YOUR FLUSH OUTS. Lenny explains calmly that I actually had eight outs to his ten and that it was basically more or less a similar call to his, but he has decided that I am his mortal enemy. He points at me and says WE WILL SEE WHERE YOU ARE AT AT THE END OF THE NIGHT. I say "nice hand, sir" and he says DON'T CALL ME SIR.

Tom then calls for a rebuy for $1000. What? I ask Lenny what the standard buyin here is, as I was under the impression that $2/$5 games were $500 max. He says it’s whatever you want, but usually people are in for $1000 to $2000, and that Tom is frequently in for several thousand. Several thousand??? He catches a tell that I’m a bit stunned by this news to which he intimates just as Tom is grabbing more chips that players like Tom are why these rules are in place, and that he was present at one particular night where Tom was in for $14,000 and left after he got felted for the 11th time. I let out a chuckle and say the only thing I can think, which is “whoa”. Hold on to your hats.

Just three hands later, I have Ac Jc in late position. It's limped to me, I raise to $30 and Tom spite calls because he has apparently decided he is going to play every hand against me. The flop is Kh Qd Ts. I'm wondering how much money I can milk out of this as Tom comes out firing for $50. I act like I’m thinking about it, and after I mentally count to 20, I call. The turn is the 9c completing the rainbow, and Tom goes all in. I say a silent thank you to the poker gods and snap call. He flips over Jack Ten off, I flip over the nuts and the river snaps off a very unfortunate Ah which cost me roughly $900 of Tom’s money as we split. Lenny says “nice river Tom” as a not so subtle jab to which Tom says “fuck you Lenny”. Ok.

My mind is still sort of spinning when five hands later I pick up Ad Qd UTG+2. I have really gotten away from playing AQ much at all, as I kind of think it’s a hand you either typically win a little money on or lose a lot of money on, but I decided to raise to $15 with it and the raise gets called by 2 people, including once again our friend Tom, but also the guy who is now directly to my left, who has been very quiet to this point. The flop is Qs 6c Qc. I check, Quiet checks, and Tom leads for $50. I just call and so does quiet. The turn is a 8h. I check again intending to checkraise but it unfortunately checks through. The river is a 3d. I bet $175 counting the pot, and after a moment quiet guy min raises to $350. Tom folds. I think about this for a moment but call as I think I’m up against QJ but I’m grateful for my line when Quiet flips over 6h 6d. Lenny says to me that guy only ever plays the nuts so be careful. I review the hand mentally. I just don’t think there’s any way I get away from that hand and consider myself lucky to have not gotten stacked. All said, I still lost $415 on that hand. I was basically back to even.

A few rounds later, I was down a couple hundred (which really just represented getting cold decked, I had two medium pairs that couldn’t catch a decent flop, had a ton of hands that could find top pair or flush draws after standard raises, and I lost an AK vs JJ flip against a short stack of $115). I was down to about $250 overall when I made a decision. I decided that if I was going to be in this game, I needed to be fucking IN this game. I called for a rebuy for my remaining $700 and stacked up to $950. Tom was just getting stacked again, this time off of a brilliant call, as a solid pro caliber player made a river call down for $750 against him with with an Ac Ts on a board of Ah Kc Jh 8s 4d. Tom had pushed with a busted 9h 7h flush draw on the river. The pro thought for quite a while, probably two minutes, and as he called said “you know what, I’d rather just lose the money than be wrong”.

I was loving this fucking table.

After I stacked up, the coldness continued, and about 10 hands later, Pro Calibur, who now had about $3800 in front of him and was the big stack, and then Tom (who had rebought for $2000), were called right in sequence to the Main. I watched with more than just a little bit of sadness as $6k walked off the table and left us with "just" $4k to push around amongst ourselves.

In retrospect, here's where I throw in the quip that it is truly funny/amazing/depressing/hilarious/absurd how money gets so distorted when it turns into chips.

The next two hours were somewhat non-descript. I became sort of resigned that I wouldn't get to the Main, as Tom's action is probably too good for anyone at that table to walk away from, before they would call all the games over at Midnight. I do recognize some of the faces at that main table from a PLO game I had briefly checked out a previous night, and they are all dug in and they are all looking like pros. Oh well. I am keeping track of Tom though, and as I notice he gets felted again, he comes over and begs another good player Dan on our table for a couple of plastic cards on loan. At RCG, they have these plastic cards that represent $500, something that is probably common in casino situations now, but I hadn't seen before. Dan had three of them. He gives Tom a little "when am I gonna see you again" grief as he reluctantly hands the two cards over, and I realize these guys want the action that bad that they'll hand over a thousand to a known loser to keep him losing. I also got the sense that the guy is so loaded that he doesn't fucking care. He's also getting a little drunk. I float around $800-$900 for quite a while. For a brief moment I rally, and start hammering a very loose passive gambooler who plays basically any two soooted cards, by punishing his second pair and third pair calls and doing a lot of isolation plays, and manage run up to about $1000. I picked up that this guy was the fish when Lenny started really isolating him, and basically either Lenny or I isolated him on every other hand for a while in position for two to three rounds. Unfortunately, about 10 minutes after getting to $990, I get crushed again when I overplayed a pure bluff on a checked turn right into Dan's checkraise trying to press too hard on the accelerator back to Even Steven. God fucking Dammit. That move costs me $135 on the hand, and I'm back down to roughly $850. We are now 5-6 hands and action is getting harder, especially as Captain Calling Station is now turning this into something resembling a $10/$20 limit game.

Yawn.

Suddenly, a miracle happens.

Lenny and I are called over to the Main together.

Considering the action of the last hour, we smile and look at each other like it's Christmas morning.

We stack up as quickly as possible and hurry over as we know there's a ton of money on the table and only about an hour left. Lenny has had a rough night but is rolling with the punches. Unfortunately he's in for $2700 and down to about $500. He's really not happy about it, but I pick up that his roll is somewhere in the five figure range, so I doubt he's hurting too much, but it sucks to go down that far in any game where you're not playing poorly. To be honest he just couldn't win a flip all night, and got cracked on a couple of overpairs to boot. He'd played a relatively solid game.

If the opening sequence of the feeder table was an appetizer, the Main was a main course fit for a king. There was a lot of action to be had, but landmines everywhere, as each player at this table knew what was going on. There were probably 7 pros at this table, and everyone knew each other. I got sized up quickly as a capable player but unknown quantity, so people were being fairly friendly trying to get a read. There was a LOT of money at stake, between $13k and $15k on this table. One player had nine cards stacked up in front of $1000-$1500 in chips. Another had at least 5-6 cards.

It was kind of, literally, insane.

Tom was actually very drunk at this point, and plays were being made to take advantage of this. He still had $1000 or so in front of him, but now was kind of resigned, drunk, and just kind of tossing chips in silently here and there (although still with aggressiveness at times). No more poker clack from him, he was stewing and down. I had about $770-$830, but couldn't really get a hold of a sequence, and knew I was playing with fire on this table. I caught Ks Kc on the big blind, but after it was $10 to me the whole way (there was a mandatory live straddle). I popped to $80 and couldn't get the one caller I wanted (Tom obvs would be ideal), and then I had a couple of AJ and AQ that went absolutely nowhere. I won one pot for $100 and was back to just under $900 when they called for the last round. Ok. I guess I was leaving stuck three to four hundred.

I pick up 6h 5h in middle position. Tom is utg, and has refused to straddle, and calls $5, and there's another caller between us.I pick up one call tell in late position, so I decide that I'll throw a chip in and see what happens. The big blind raises to $40, and Tom calls. the other guy folds, and now I pick up another call tell off of my previous call tell, as I stall for the tell. I sigh, and make a very loose call, and say a silent prayer as call tell calls again. We are four handed heading to the flop.

6c 5d 2h pops up and my heart skips a beat. This is it.

I know what the big blind probably has. There's only four hands he could have, with this guy, at this limit, and I figured I will know much more for sure after the texture of the betting of this flop. He checks, looking for Drunk Tom to lead the action, which Tom is happy to oblige. I've learned over the night that Tom LOVES garbage flops, because it allows him to front that he has hit some crazy hand, but little does he knows that I have King Shit of the crazy flop here. He leads for $175. I pause for two beats and make it exactly $375. The big blind snap calls. Uh oh. We're in it now. I'm hoping Tom shoves and I can isolate him, but Tom has picked up that the big blind is crushing what he thinks is both of us and slinks out of the way so he can gloat all over me once I get crushed. I know what Tom thinks I have and I think I know what the big blind thinks I have here. I will leave that part of it for you all to work out.

The turn is the Qc.

The big blind says "hey man, how much do you have left there?"

I count it down and say "$410"

He says "ok." and soft tosses a single card into the pot that plunks and then lands on its back. Now, the Qc is a major problem here for me, because if he has Qh Qd I'm obviously drawing dead. However, there is a very good reason that he cannot have QQ here that is another thing I will leave all of you to solve, that I worked out while I think tanked for 60 seconds. The action tells all. Time slows down in this moment where you think tank for that much, and to be honest, it really was one of those cinematic moments where you just hear your heartbeat, think and feel simultaneously, and realize you have to trust your read and instincts. I imagine his cards in my head and call.

He says "I have KK."

I say "I know. I flopped top two pair." I turn them over. His face turns white.

I know turn has also provided me with another problem in that any high pair now has additional outs, and now there are three queens, three twos and two kings that beat my hand.

The river takes seemingly forever to flip over, and i exhale as I recognize my new best friend in the room, the ten of spades from the red deck on the main table of the Rockford Charitable Games $2/$5 NL.

I scooped a pot of $1780.

Three hands later, it's all over, and I'm stacking up two racks. Tom is sitting alone at one of the vacant tables, moaning about "it's a bad night. it's a baaaaaad night." I have to tell you, that I am typically not one to pause to savor a moment, but this is one moment I definitely savored. I stared at him because I wanted to remember the look on his face but really what I felt most was pity in that moment. This human being was a hateful, spiteful, drunken shell of a man gambling away so much money. It's a humanizing thing.

To be clear, I survived this night. I should not have played that limit, I should not have made that call preflop, and I got extraordinarily lucky. However, that's poker. I survived a number of other situations that put me in a position, and I made it. I made it work. I survived my night with the big boys, and came out the other side with a damned good story. Maybe that's all that counts.

I sincerely doubt after thinking about it I will be back at that limit soon. I will, however, be back to RCG again to play $200NL.

Provided, that is, I can get a seat....
Hideaway Lights

Postby neuartillery » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:51 am

I played a lot from like 2004-2008 or so, basically until people I played with in grad school moved away / the group changed for the worse. A friend of mine is now playing professionally in Vegas, every now and then I'll google her results.

Honestly the best thing about poker was that I could read Frau Artillery's hands but she was completely incapable of reading mine.
neuartillery

Postby bold man » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:29 am

god damn that was a good read, and also makes me (probably incorrectly) think i could give it a go again
bold man
ok

Postby milano boy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:43 pm

bold man wrote:
milano boy wrote:i'm actually kinda serious about finding a regular card game in nyc.

i really wanted to put together a hpn game a few years back and failed, but still really like this idea

oh damn i could be into this
repus lumen
milano boy

Postby nautical hyperblast » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:08 am

hell yeah charity gaming.
i'd be weary of playing on americas cardroom y'all... sketchy shit going down.
nautical hyperblast

Postby Reliable Tradesman » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:15 am

Great read, thanks Hideaway.

I also need a hub to tell you my co-workers insane gambling stories. I work in a bad place.
Reliable Tradesman

Postby bold man » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:23 am

milano boy wrote:
bold man wrote:

oh damn i could be into this

id want to run this but my 1 bedroom isnt really ideal to house this
bold man
ok

Postby Hideaway Lights » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:12 pm

Heading back to RCG tonight - should have another trip report soon

Thanks for posting that bot/ACR video - I’m doing some cross investigation with people I used to know at 2+2. So far the consensus seems to be there are bots and there is not great security and something may be going on and there is just better action to be had elsewhere. I’m still a +EV player but the action is too tough to be worth it after I clear bonuses and I will look to move.
Hideaway Lights

Postby nautical hyperblast » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:18 pm

would love to do some tournaments on carbon with ya.

so i'm at barona resort/casino with my girlfriend and her dad currently. i did a 6 hour 1-3 session and it felt like the good old days in vegas. i had one huge hand that felt very triumphant...

me AQ off two off the button with about $380 behind - there's a raise to 12 ahead of me and three callers. i float because two left of me are hyper aggressive and i'm assuming i'll have to flat a 3 bet - not too stoked with my play here because my table image was good and aside from a c-bet bluff i'd been pretty straight forward and showing down winners/folding losers when i should. anyhow.

flop comes Q 8 4 rainbow. first to act goes all in for $50 - next to act was a guy that had been kind of annoying me with his play all night. he wasn't bad, but he was just a really unpleasant dude and played super aggressive and kept taking shots at me/showing down weak hands with other players and winning (second pair, etc). i wasn't on tilt but i had pissed away like $140 of my $520 stack calling raises / raising and folding on flop/turn after c-betting - mostly with this guy. anyhow, he calls the $50 and I bump it up to $150. everyone else folds, and villain calls. turn is a blank and i fire the rest of my stack in for a little less than $200. he tanks for about a minute and calls. river is a 9 and he mucks what he said was KQ and i take down the side pot because short stack jammed on flop with Q4. the end.
nautical hyperblast

Postby nautical hyperblast » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:25 am

played 2-3 at the bike tonight. did okay, had a nice run and got out before i lost too much of my profits... that game is realllly tough so i'm happy with myself. i had a funny hand though/when continuation bets go wrong and i ignore board texture.
i raise to 15 early position with 1010 and get three callers.
flop KQA
i bet out 40, one caller
turn 8
i realize that my caller only has 45 behind and am like well fuck. put him all in and pray.
river j, we chop. he had A 10. worked out well for my table image because i got a couple loose calls from people later when i had the nuts/sets.
nautical hyperblast

Postby nautical hyperblast » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:23 pm

ehhh fuck it i'm gonna head to the bike again for more 2-3 tonight.
nautical hyperblast

Postby marble » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:46 pm

nautical hyperblast wrote:played 2-3 at the bike tonight. did okay, had a nice run and got out before i lost too much of my profits... that game is realllly tough so i'm happy with myself. i had a funny hand though/when continuation bets go wrong and i ignore board texture.
i raise to 15 early position with 1010 and get three callers.
flop KQA
i bet out 40, one caller
turn 8
i realize that my caller only has 45 behind and am like well fuck. put him all in and pray.
river j, we chop. he had A 10. worked out well for my table image because i got a couple loose calls from people later when i had the nuts/sets.

i'd x/f that flop even tho it smashes your range cause it's wet as hell and i'm a huge coward
marble

Postby Hideaway Lights » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:31 pm

Been quiet on this thread lately- at that Rockford charitable cash game had a very rough night where I lost close to my whole live BR simply due to some bad situational variance, but managed to preserve about $330 of my original $500 through a minor miracle.

I also up figuring out (thanks in part to 2+2, my own stats, and others in this thread) that cash games are a barely break even prop for me rn. However the really good news is that I’m still crushing online MTTs at low buyins at a pretty good clip. I’ve had 6 final tables in the past two weeks, including a 4th out of 1596 12 days ago, a 2nd out of 300 on Tuesday and just last night hit for 1st out of 889 in a $10 for a +$1920 haul.

Things are back in the pink in hideaway land, with my online bankroll around +$1400 total for the year and my overall bankroll back in the green.

I finally have enough scratch to start taking some shots at bigger buyin MTTs and feeling really good about where my game is in that arena

Hideaway Lights

Postby Hideaway Lights » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:12 pm

nautical hyperblast wrote:would love to do some tournaments on carbon with ya.

so i'm at barona resort/casino with my girlfriend and her dad currently. i did a 6 hour 1-3 session and it felt like the good old days in vegas. i had one huge hand that felt very triumphant...

me AQ off two off the button with about $380 behind - there's a raise to 12 ahead of me and three callers. i float because two left of me are hyper aggressive and i'm assuming i'll have to flat a 3 bet - not too stoked with my play here because my table image was good and aside from a c-bet bluff i'd been pretty straight forward and showing down winners/folding losers when i should. anyhow.

flop comes Q 8 4 rainbow. first to act goes all in for $50 - next to act was a guy that had been kind of annoying me with his play all night. he wasn't bad, but he was just a really unpleasant dude and played super aggressive and kept taking shots at me/showing down weak hands with other players and winning (second pair, etc). i wasn't on tilt but i had pissed away like $140 of my $520 stack calling raises / raising and folding on flop/turn after c-betting - mostly with this guy. anyhow, he calls the $50 and I bump it up to $150. everyone else folds, and villain calls. turn is a blank and i fire the rest of my stack in for a little less than $200. he tanks for about a minute and calls. river is a 9 and he mucks what he said was KQ and i take down the side pot because short stack jammed on flop with Q4. the end.

Man that is a good old days situation my friend
Hideaway Lights

Postby Hideaway Lights » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:37 pm

Just hit 4th/199 in a $50 for another g-note ($1093 to be precise)

It’s been a pretty good week
Hideaway Lights

Postby Hideaway Lights » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:02 am

hahahahaha officially second best week ever in poker now. Just cracked a 2nd/177 in a $100 hyperturbo for another 2.3k. Insane day.

Last hand was three way all in for all the marbles and I had AK vs. KQ vs. KJ and a J spiked the river otherwise it would have been 4k on that tourney alone.

Taking tomorrow off lololol
Hideaway Lights

PreviousNext

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.