Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby John Dark » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:16 pm

I'm going to visit this city in late May and planning to spend three full days in and around urban Vancouver.

Please list the things I should do.

Also, where should I stay?
Now here is the lake. And I still haven't changed.
John Dark

Postby Quixotic » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:38 pm

i think there's a vancouver thread that would have good recommendations. I just moved away in september so i can help a bit.

lots of neighbourhoods are good options for staying, kind of depends what you want.

downtown/west-end has lots of food, pubs/bars/clubs, is super close to stanley park (beaches will be good that time of year), and close to north shore for hiking
main street, and commercial drive are both hipstery, gentrified neighbourhoods with good food & pubs

if you're into outdoorsy stuff, check out the north shore or head up to squamish for a day. if you're into anything else i probably can't help because i am cheap and don't do much cultural stuff.
Quixotic

Postby Quixotic » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:46 pm

Quixotic

Postby John Dark » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:00 pm

Quixotic wrote:i think there's a vancouver thread that would have good recommendations. I just moved away in september so i can help a bit.

lots of neighbourhoods are good options for staying, kind of depends what you want.

downtown/west-end has lots of food, pubs/bars/clubs, is super close to stanley park (beaches will be good that time of year), and close to north shore for hiking
main street, and commercial drive are both hipstery, gentrified neighbourhoods with good food & pubs

if you're into outdoorsy stuff, check out the north shore or head up to squamish for a day. if you're into anything else i probably can't help because i am cheap and don't do much cultural stuff.

Thanks! Mostly plan to stick in the city, because I'll be coming from four days on Vancouver Island and will have had my fill of outdoors stuff there. For lodging, I just want something in an area that will be convenient to most of the main points of interest in the city, including touristy ones.
John Dark

Postby deadbass » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:35 pm

Just expanding on Quixotic's post...

I'd recommend staying either downtown or near Cambie Street as the Canada Line (metro line that runs from downtown to the airport) runs under it and will make downtown really convenient to get to.

In terms of neighbourhoods, Quixotic covered them pretty well... you have:

Downtown - like it sounds, lots of glass and concrete. My biggest recommendation is to walk around the seawall starting at the Vancouver Convention Centre and around Stanley Park (which probably the most deservedly touristy thing in Vancouver). You get lots of neat views, you pass under the Lion's Gate Bridge, which is pretty nifty, and it goes on for quite a while, taking you through English Bay (which is kind of the residential side of downtown), Yaletown (the extremely expensive new area of downtown), False Creek (nice), and Kitsilano (the formerly funky area, now pretty thoroughly yuppie part of town). You can kind of go for as long or as short as you like, but it's something I still do all the time despite living here all my life. Stay away from Granville street at night unless you're into dumb bars and angry drunk white suburban idiots (I'm editorializing). Gastown and Railtown (further east of downtown) are much more interesting at night imo.

Gastown is probably the most touristy/historic part of downtown... it's worth a look for the buildings mostly. There's a very wacky antique shop on the corner called Salmagundi West that's pretty entertaining. Lots of good food. It neighbours on Chinatown which is very interesting. There's the Sun-Yat-Sen gardens which are traditional Chinese gardens and are pretty neat. Chinatown is changing radically, you'll still get to see the history for now... who knows how much longer that'll last.

There are some neat neighbourhoods that are really interesting, even if they're not as appealing, to the east of Chinatown. Railtown, Strathcona, Hastings-Sunrise. These are where the artists have run to because they're much more affordable than other areas of the city. Hard to recommend if you're just here for a few days, but I'm feeling full of words so I thought I'd mention them.

There are 4 major areas outside of downtown (downtown Vancouver is very small, and located a peninsula so it's very defined in an unusual way) that are worth checking out in my opinion. Kitsilano is to the west, and stretches toward the University of British Columbia. It has the coolest houses in the city and has tons of good food and shops (particularly on Broadway and 4th Avenue). Around Main street (which is to the east) is the area called Mount Pleasant, which was hipster-central but that's shifted more east. Main street is definitely worth walking down - it has a lot of neat shops and good food. There's a park near Mount Pleasant called Queen Elizabeth Park, which is my second favourite after Stanley Park. You get an amazing view of the city from the top of the small mountain it's built upon. You might recognize it from the cover of Kaputt by Destroyer.

Commercial is the hippie area, further east of Main street. Again, worth walking down - lots of cool fusion food, it used to be the Little Italy but now it's just kind of a smorgasbord of cultures and weird ideas.

If you're interested in museums, there's a few to check out (not too many). The University of British Columbia has a pretty nice campus and they have the Museum of Anthropology which I think is pretty amazing. It's interesting architecturally and has a lot of great artifacts and totem poles from the local FIrst Nations groups. The Vancouver Art Gallery downtown has great stuff (right now they have an amazing exhibit by Takashi Murakami, which technically is supposed to end before you go, but I have a feeling they'll extend it because it's so popular). I'm probably forgetting other cool stuff to check out.

Probably one of my favourite places in Vancouver is Granville Island. It's super touristy, but in my opinion it completely deserves it. It's a former trainyard/industrial area that's been converted into a public market with a bunch of artisan shops. There are studios, some cool stores with cool stuff, and then there's the indoor market. I just think the market is amazing. I think a lot of Vancouverites would probably roll their eyes at how much I love Granville Island, but I think it's worth spending some time at. If you're staying downtown, I'd recommend walking across the Granville Bridge and the island is just under the bridge. Walking across any of the bridges into downtown is something I'd definitely recommend (it's pretty stunning).

I've run out of steam. Food is hard, because there's a lot of it, and a lot of it is very good. Definitely have sushi, it's the thing we're best at, probably. Shiro on Cambie is amazing, Toshi (if you're willing to line up for an hour) and Sushi Hub on Main are amazing. If you want to spend money and be happy with it, Miku, which is right downtown at the convention centre is incredible.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have questions, I kind of love talking about this dumb city and like to help.
Last edited by deadbass on Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deadbass

Postby an otter » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:59 pm

If you need cocktail bar reccs I got ya. Gastown's your best bet for drinking fancy, though.
ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ
an otter

Postby John Dark » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:04 pm

Thanks. This is all fantastic and a big help!

Otter yeah hit me with one or two cocktail bars just in case.
John Dark

Postby an otter » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:19 pm

here's something off the top of my head. all bars but most of them do good food, too. nothing's cheap.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gwKw5 ... sp=sharing
ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ
an otter

Postby chad » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:04 pm

here i come, to vancouver
add me on habbo: ChadBraddington
chad

Postby John Dark » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:38 pm

chad wrote:here i come, to vancouver

32 days for me!
John Dark

Postby steaming shit » Tue May 08, 2018 8:52 am

damn accomodation in this city is expensive as hell. what are the good neighbourhoods outside downtown that would be a bit cheaper to get an airbnb (and are connected to transport)
steaming shit

Postby warmjets » Tue May 08, 2018 8:57 am

I went there last summer, stayed at an airbnb in north vancouver and took the ferry over.

Biking around stanley park is a must.
warmjets

Postby Darlene » Tue May 08, 2018 9:00 am

go to Phnom Phen restaurant in chinatown and get the fried chicken its fuckin good.
Darlene

Postby John Dark » Wed May 30, 2018 7:10 pm

Thanks for all the recommendations. Just got home this morning. This is all the stuff we did and ate during our three days in the city:

Stayed in West End (Blue Horizon Hotel, 25th floor....awesome views)
Walked across the Burrard St. Bridge
Went to the Museum of Vancouver
Granville Island and had salmon at the Sandbar
Checked out the public market
Walked across the Granville Bridge
Hit Gastown in the evening (Salmagundi West is permanently closed, btw).
Had cocktails at the Clough Club in Gastown
Ate at Steamworks (it was our last resort after being paralyzed by indecision and wandering around too much. Very mediocre).
Went to some tacky souvenir shops (I bought a bear bell for my fishing backpack!)
Walked halfway around the seawall in Stanley Park and then hiked back through the interior trails
Did the Vancouver aquarium
Hung out on English Beach
Drinks and arcade games at The Den "Barcade" (this was kind of disappointing actually)
Roamed Chinatown
Dr. Sun Yat Sen Chinese gardens
Ate at Phnom Penh and had the ridiculous chicken wings (along with lots of other stuff). No lie, these were mind-blowing. Thanks for the tip, good news.
Had waffle shakes at Nero Waffle Bar
Ate at the La Belle Patate poutinerie on Davie
Random Mongolian BBQ
Stopped in a Tim Horton's, took a dump on the floor and flung it at the staff.

Things we wanted to do but didn't get around to: The Museum of Anthropology, sushi anywhere and Broadway and Commercial. For the museum, we had already been to the Royal BC Museum in Victoria and the MOV and were kind of burnt out on museums by that point.

Weather was dream-gorgeous the entire trip to BC. Never rained once and stayed between 50s and mid 60s with sun and a cool breeze every single day.
Last edited by John Dark on Wed May 30, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Dark

Postby honkduh » Wed May 30, 2018 9:30 pm

John Dark wrote:Stopped in a Tim Horton's, took a dump on the floor and flung it at the staff.

:awful: :awful: :awful: :awful: :awful: :awful:
honkduh

Postby werd » Wed May 30, 2018 9:43 pm

John Dark wrote:Ate at Phnom Penh and had the ridiculous chicken wings (among lots of other stuff). No lie, these were mind-blowing. Thanks for the tip, good news.

these are the second best wings in vancouver
night moves wrote:I will not be made fun of by someone who watches animes

hologram wrote:basically burn down your local whole foods and punch a cop because the galaxy don't give a fuck
werd
cooler than laserblast

Postby port » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:36 am

Such a great town. I spent 4 weeks in Strathcona and ran into Dan Bejar a solid three times (it took all of my strength not to fawn). I loved that neighborhood a lot and still ride the awesome bike made for me at Union Cycle.
port

Postby joe » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:42 am

gonna be in Vancouver for the first time the end of June/beginning of July!
dễ dàng wrote:CHẾT TIỆT
joe

Postby chad » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:45 am

Are there any shows next week other than celtic woman and bhad bhabie! Where do the goths hang out ty
chad

Postby emotional fascism » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:58 am

I spent a week here in 2016 and it was one of the best vacations we ever had... the local beers were amazing. we spent many hours at the brewery on Granville Island.
emotional fascism

Postby chad » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:40 pm

There are no goths here but there are a lot of restaurants. Is gastown worth going to? My feet are very tired
chad

Postby werd » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:53 pm

go to santouka ramen and zabu chicken on robson

get anything at santouka and get the soy wings at zabu

hologram wrote:basically burn down your local whole foods and punch a cop because the galaxy don't give a fuck
werd
cooler than laserblast

Postby werd » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:54 pm

gas town is more overpriced tourist restaurants

werd
cooler than laserblast

Postby milknight » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:56 pm

u should go to bhad bhabie lol
milknight

Postby chad » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:22 pm

It's all ages lol
chad

Postby chad » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:24 pm

Thx werd maybe tmrw if I have time! I'm really full. Is mama mia dope lol. I might go see it
chad

Postby milknight » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:24 pm

*jack nicholson nodding gif*
milknight

Postby deadbass » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:38 pm

If you’re here on Sunday there’s a gothic night called Descent that happens every week (I think it happens at the Red Room on Richards St.) and is supposedly amazing. I don’t recommend going to Gastown (too touristy imo), but Chinatown, Railtown and Strathcona are cool areas not too far from it.
deadbass

Postby joe » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:49 pm

Pacific Rhythm are a cool label/crew. Or at least I like their music, never been to their parties

June 8
https://www.facebook.com/events/1003761989780652/

June 10
https://www.facebook.com/events/115470819284027
joe

Postby joe » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:45 pm

Finished my presentation and wandered downtown. Found a Seabus. Best way to wander
joe

Next

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....