Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Amblin » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:48 pm

Ankh wrote:
Smiling Penner-Lite wrote:(1) This will sound probably lame or something, but growing up as a geek, it was originally more of a quiet or underground thing, and for years if not decades, my friends and I were mostly alone in our obsession with Star Wars, especially in the years before the PT and even the Special Editions.

i think this misguided concept is part of the problem

star was was still a massive force (heh) during that time. the card game was available at every check-out line, every bookstore was stocked with a constant flow of novelizations... the special editions/prequel trilogy/internet exposed a huge fan base, it didn't create it.

but i think that the idea that it was a personal, underground thing is part of the problem. ppl are mad because now it's clear that star wars is a movie franchise that has all kinds of people in it, new ideas, new views, not just a personal universe that reflects "you" (not speaking about you personally SP-L).

i'd agree it wasn't "underground" but it was pretty dead for a while from a mainstream merchandise and marketing aspect until it heated back up in 96 when the run up to the special editions and prequels began

the big event before that was the re-release of the vhs

i am not sure how the card game and novelizations show a massive appeal, i'd probably argue more for the POTF action figures being popular and available at wal-mart/kmart etc.

maybe you only shopped at B. Dalton?
Amblin

Postby badhat » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:01 pm

i'm out of touch so i dunno but like i think we still see a lot of aesthetic influence and secondary aesthetic influence of the matrix

i think avatar made a ton of money so unimaginative people are trying to keep that train rolling, not cuz it had a vision that continues to speak to people.

again maybe i'm old and wrong. i just have a hard time imagining that it imprinted on kids/teens like SW or HP (or i say the matrix) did, in ways that kind ripple into our adulthoods and worldviews and cultural touchstones.
admittedly the metal thread has recently taken a hit
badhat

Postby Self Destructive Zone » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:03 pm

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:THE EWOKS IS VIETNAM

and Afghanistan!. the empire is the united states and soviet union. fight the power!
giant screens with skies exploding/thumping bass and power chords/we got a preacher if you're listening/he'll play his guitar if you're bored
Self Destructive Zone

Postby reversemigraine » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:08 pm

Was thinking the other day about how central Joseph Campbell was in the authorized, sanitized account of How George Lucas Created Star Wars, and how Campbell these days is pretty much dismissed as a hacky anti-Semite whose biggest cheerleader is Jordan Peterson.
reversemigraine

Postby reversemigraine » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:08 pm

You know...just thinking.
reversemigraine

Postby dr. badvibes » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:10 pm

badhat wrote:do you guys think SW is particularly toxic within nerd cultures or is the whole thing just rotten.

i don't know, but i'd guess that roughly 50% of star wars fans are in it for Empire aesthetics and in love with the idea of an indomitable space military
dr. badvibes

Postby Ted Pikul » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:12 pm

nerd culture is rotten top to bottom these days
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"
Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby reversemigraine » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:14 pm

dr. badvibes wrote:
badhat wrote:do you guys think SW is particularly toxic within nerd cultures or is the whole thing just rotten.

i don't know, but i'd guess that roughly 50% of star wars fans are in it for Empire aesthetics and in love with the idea of an indomitable space military

And the other half are really in it for the rugged individualism of space pirates who sneak drugs and weapons past the cops and hang out in dingy bars.

The ideals of the Republic (or, by extension, the Rebellion) are never really addressed and clearly aren't what move the fanbase.
reversemigraine

Postby Self Destructive Zone » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:18 pm

Avatar was a huge hit in theatres because it looked incredible, no one cared about the story. Most of our posts in here were like, it'd be cool to explore the world without the plot from Pocahontas.

the ride at Disney world is basically just that and incredibly rad. I hated the movie and loved the ride.

it was not a movie with staying power.

the matrix on the other hand is the basis for the entire MRA and alt-right movement. it had staying power for dummies and along with fight club has easily the most noxious fan base.

star wars has all kinds of fans, but a good 30% of them are as irredeemable as magas
giant screens with skies exploding/thumping bass and power chords/we got a preacher if you're listening/he'll play his guitar if you're bored
Self Destructive Zone

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:29 pm

i remember getting made fun of for wearing a star wars shirt in middle school.

seems hard to imagine that in the 70s or now

though i got made fun of for everything so who knows
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby dr. badvibes » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:30 pm

reversemigraine wrote:
dr. badvibes wrote:

And the other half are really in it for the rugged individualism of space pirates who sneak drugs and weapons past the cops and hang out in dingy bars.

The ideals of the Republic (or, by extension, the Rebellion) are never really addressed and clearly aren't what move the fanbase.

that's interesting, i've never really thought about that half of the equation but it's totally true. i myself am a lando/bounty hunters boy

re: jackers to the 'pire, i think a lot comes down to the way 90's sci-fi fans self-sorted. no matter who you were at some point you had to choose between Trek or Wars, and obviously anyone who loved milpower, fleet combat, baroque uniforms, and knowing exactly how many torpedoes a warship normally loaded aft and the precise megajoules of the point defense turbolasers would have found a lot more to explore in Wars
dr. badvibes

Postby badhat » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:49 pm

good call abt matrix and redpill

i forget about that bit yeah

which is too bad given, again, inhindsight theres a lot to suggest it was mostly about gender and queerness
admittedly the metal thread has recently taken a hit
badhat

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:52 pm

dr. badvibes wrote:

not that large on the JC forums in my experience though that category is there
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:39 pm

Some set stuff starting to leak.

I won't post photos here, nothing too crazy

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2018/08 ... eaked.html

They involve Poe and Finn and Chewie with some space horsesToggle Spoiler

Apparently Joonas filmed a bunch of Chewie scenes during the Solo reshoots with Howard. Is that strange?
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby reversemigraine » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:46 pm

Today's mood:

reversemigraine

Postby john plainman » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:52 pm

badhat wrote:good call abt matrix and redpill

i forget about that bit yeah

which is too bad given, again, inhindsight theres a lot to suggest it was mostly about gender and queerness

yeah i feel bad for the wachowskis having to see how the biggest fans of the matrix have coopted their imagery and would also probably like to see them committed/imprisoned
john plainman
Hello? Hello? Anybody home?

Postby reversemigraine » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:35 pm

reversemigraine wrote:Kinda down with Abrams handing out a bunch of parts to Bad Robot regulars.

reversemigraine

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:36 pm

hmm
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby reversemigraine » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:41 pm

UGNAUGHT EVERYBODY

UGNAUGHT EVERYBODY
reversemigraine

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:30 pm

reversemigraine wrote:
reversemigraine wrote:Kinda down with Abrams handing out a bunch of parts to Bad Robot regulars.

STAR WARS LOTR SHARED UNIVERSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby tgk » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:44 pm

Don't forget

tgk

Postby Architecture » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:10 pm

reversemigraine wrote:UGNAUGHT EVERYBODY

UGNAUGHT EVERYBODY

ACTING LIKE THESE BANTHA POODOO

WEARING EXPENSIVE CLOAKS
try the data then reply
Architecture
ok

Postby reversemigraine » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:33 pm

Franco posted this one in the casting announcements thread...

This is quickly becoming Tumblr: The Movie.
reversemigraine

Postby grammatron » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:39 pm

reversemigraine wrote:

This face...

This is not my kind of face.
grammatron

Postby reversemigraine » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:12 pm

At this rate, they might as well fill out the cast with Radcliffe and Pattinson and make them all the other Knights of Ren.
reversemigraine

Postby light rail coyote » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:08 pm

god this is gonna suck so bad can't wait
light rail coyote

Postby Bad Craziness » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:13 pm

Bad Craziness

Postby Architecture » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:33 pm

grammatron wrote:
reversemigraine wrote:

This face...

Sometimes you wish you had a Greedo to tear apart, huh

ImageToggle Spoiler
try the data then reply
Architecture
ok

Postby Poptone » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:51 pm

grammatron wrote:
reversemigraine wrote:

This face...

Poptone
cat fan

Postby Milquetoaster Strudels » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:03 pm

Damn the witch told me there would be a Lost in Space reboot, except there would be a twist. Til now I thought the twist was CG Alan Rickman, but of course it's so much worse
Milquetoaster Strudels

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....